The One That Got Away

By Maebelletree

CRINGY AS FUCK READ AT OWN RISK Freya Taschereau was Tom Riddle's first and last love. She was an aristocrati... More

Freya Taschereau
Thoughts
Progression
Steady
Birthday
Gossip
Beauxbatons
Characters
Funeral
Back To Reality
Witches Weekly
The Daily Prophet
The Return
Why?
Fool
Anger
Easter
What?
What comes next
Watching, Plotting
Wedding
Finders Keepers
Where Am I?
Patterns
Mexico? France? Tokyo? Moscow?
What do you mean????????
Name Suggestions???
Tired

Infatuation

4.9K 117 152
By Maebelletree

Freya woke early the next day, she walked to the stables to have breakfast with Jane. She walked in, but Jane was not there.  

"Jane?" She called.

"Freya, you just woke me." Said Jane, emerging from her private quarters.

"Oh I'm sorry, I just thought we could have breakfast together." She said. "Don't worry, I didn't cook it." Freya was a truly terrible cook.

"You got the house elves to cook it?" Asked Jane.

"Well they helped me, I mean I truly am hopeless in the kitchen. But Kit is teaching me how to bake cookies and make pancakes." She said proudly. She pulled out a picnic blanket and a basket seemed to appear out of nowhere. She opened it to reveal pancakes, fruits, and lots of maple syrup.

"So, I was reading this book, about the magical properties of a beat root, and you'll never guess what kind of things they can heal, for starters a large amount of cuts and wounds, then they are one of the rare things that can heal aphrodisiac curse effects." Said Freya excitedly.

"Do you have to talk about beat roots at breakfast?" Asked Jane.

"I just thought it might be interesting. You know, some trivia over tea." Said Freya.

"Freya, there is no tea." Said Jane.

"Now there is." Said Freya, who had just conjured to tea cups, she proceeded to put maple syrup in her own.

"You really love that stuff don't you?" Said Jane, with a small smile on her face.

"Why no, no more than reason." She said playfully. "Do you think that the monarchy system is best? Or do you think it should be a democracy like in the Americas."

"I don't know, but that constitutes under trivia talk." Said Jane, taking a bite of the food.

"Okay, then, can I talk about painting, and colours?" She Asked

"Of course, you know I love it when you talk artist to me." Said Jane teasing her.

"Freya?" Called a voice.

"Hide." Whispered Freya. She vanished the food and Jane hid in the back of the stables. Freya quickly started petting one of the horses.

"Tom, what are you doing here?" She Asked, "You don't strike me as the horse riding type."

"Your cousin was asking after you." He said,

"What time is it?" She Asked.

"7 o'clock." Answered Tom.

"Then I better get to breakfast." She said, giving the horse a final pat. There was a rustling sound where Jane was hiding. Freya successfully distracted Tom by taking his arm.

"Escort me to breakfast?" She Asked, hoping he would get distracted by her company.

"I would be delighted." He replied, hooking her arm around his.

"How did you know I would be in the stables?" She Asked.

"Well I was sure a certain Stable boy couldn't bare to be without you." He drawled, venom lacing his words. He soon forgot that when he heard her laugh at him.

"So quick to believe that I wanted nothing more then to pet my favourite horse, Hayley Bailey the fourth." She Said, "I named her myself."

It was a truly beautiful day in the south of France birds chirping, sun high in the sky. Freya was sure that if anyone saw she and Tom in this type of romantic setting, they would surely believe that there was a romance blooming.

Tom let out a small chuckle. "You don't say." He Said.

"My sister will be waking up soon , I should probably say hello to her." She said, remembering her darling of a little sister who would no doubt look for her.

"How old is she?" He asked.

"One." She said.

"So she's your half sister." He Said.

"Yes, but my step mother isn't one for parenting." She said, scrunching her nose up to show her distaste for the woman.

"Oh, I'll come with you." He Said, as they entered the impressive house. There were not enough words for beautiful in the English language that could possibly describe the Malfoy Vila, it was simply magnificent.

"No it's fine, Ana's usually there, she loves children, always says she'll have as many as possible." Said Freya. She could not understand why. From what she understood, child brth was very painful, and surely one of two children would be enough to satisfy your need for procreation.

"And you?" Asked Tom. Freya was slightly taken aback by the question, not knowing why he wanted to know.

"I like certain children." She said, It was true, Freya had never particularly liked children until her little sister came along and then it was like Chelsea knew exactly when to smile to melt her heart.

~*~

"Do you think you'll ever have any." He asked, he was curious to see if their life goals were remotely compatible. Tom hated children. All they did was whine about how they did not get what they wanted. 

"Well I assume I will be raising my sister with the house elves, but I guess it depends on the man." She said. Tom smiled at her response. Apathy was the foundation of a strong relationship in his opinion.

"So what are you planning for today?" He asked, wondering if they could haphazardly run into each other.

"I'm going to go into the muggle town to pick some things up, and maybe go for ice cream with Ana and Abraxas."She said.

"Ice cream?" He said. That did not seem like it would be able to occupy a mind such as hers for more than five minutes.

"Yes, Ana And I like to play a game." She said.

"What game would that be?" He asked politely, trying to mask his growing interest in her with each syllable that elegantly flowed through her lips.

"I'm afraid it's a rather rude game." She said.

"Suppose I come and find out?" Asked Tom.

"Well, I can't stop you." She said. No you cannot. Tom had his mind set of getting her, so he was not about to allow her to go on her own.

"Did you read the new book about the many healing qualities of beet roots?" He asked.
She looked up at him, shocked that someone else knew that book. He merely smiled at her.

"Why, yes I was just reading it." She said, she could have sworn she heard Tom breathe a sigh of relief. "Rather fascinating, how one, decidedly unimpressive plant, is so important to healing others." She said.

"Agreed, I would have never thought of placing a beet root purée on a dragon fire burn." He said.

"I know, I wonder how they came up with that." She said. "Do you ever think about that?"

"Think about what?" Said Tom.

"How people came up with things." She said,
"like chocolate for instance. Have you ever seen a cocoa bean or tasted one? How did someone get chocolate from that?"

"I guess I've never thought about that." Said Tom. Enjoying his prolonged converstion with her, relishing the fact that it was her who had prolonged it by standing still as she spoke to him. Pshing back any plans she had to see anyone else. 

They had entered the house and Freya let go of his arm and headed to the nursery. 
Abraxas was glaring daggers at Tom.

"If you hurt her in any way." He Said dangerously.

"What?" Asked Tom raising an eyebrow. What could a lowly little ferret possibly do to me?

"Well for starters I'll make sure you don't have the support of the sacred twenty eight." He said. Tom rolled his eyes, this was no real threat and if he did this Tom would just kill Ana. 

"Well, I don't intend to hurt her." Said Tom.

"I've known you a long time, Riddle, and you've never looked at anyone the way you look at her." Said Abraxas. 

"This conversation is below me, I shall find someone worthy of my time." Said Tom menacingly.

"Like Freya?" Said Abraxas. "She's busy right now, and she's with Ana anyways."

"I'm sure she wouldn't mind my company." Said Tom, arrogantly

"Are you sure, because I'm pretty sure someone else will." Said Abraxas.

"Who?" Asked Tom, he though back to all their previous conc=versations, the stable boy was real? Tom would just have to find out,

Abraxas said nothing and walked away.
Tom walked to the nursery. He heard Ana's voice.

"What age do you think it is when you stop being able to put your feet behind your head?" She Asked.

"Oh, I can still do that." Said Freya .

"How are you single?" Asked Ana.

"It's a choice." Said Freya, who picked up who Tom assumes was her little sister.

"Do you think you ever will run away?" Asked Ana.

"I don't think I could leave Chelsea alone with that wretched woman." She said.  Playing with a tuft of Chelsea's brown hair. The pair did not look very similar, except their eyes. "Besides I intend to run my father company into prosperity."

"Hello, ladies." Said Tom.

"Oh, hi Tom, how are you?" Asked Ana. Her voice shook slightly but Freya seemed more preoccupied with her baby sister to notice.

"Quite well, Ms. Dolohov." He Said.

"I was simply wondering when exactly the two of you are planning to eat." He Said.

"Oh, I guess we could just come now." Said Ana.

The pair quickly left for the dining room.
Tom stayed and stared at the infant. He had never liked kids. And this one was in the way of him whisking it's older sister away to a life with him. He grimaced and went on his way to the dining room.

He then felt eyes on him, from outside the window. He turned quickly only to see red hair.
Curious, he thought. He went outside to the stables, to see a girl, not a boy.

"Can I help you?" Asked the girl. He was pretty sure she had been at Hogwarts with him.

"You're Tom Riddle aren't you." She said, Tom simply nodded.

"And I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing here, I better get back inside." He said.
She returned to her work.

A stable girl, Thought Tom, there was no stable boy. Little did he know, who he had very awkwardly just met.

Breakfast was over, Abraxas and Freya were talking in the foyer as Ana got ready to go.

"You didn't." Said Freya.

"Yes, I did." Said Abraxas proudly.

"I can't believe it," She said holding her hand dramatically to her chest, "my little Abraxas is getting officially engaged, they grow up so fast."

"Oh, stop it." He said, "I'm older than you."

"Ya by like three months." She said.

"Three months matters." He said.

"Anyways, did you read that book I gave you?" She asked. "It explains how your great-great-grandfather could have jinxed the reign of queen Mary because he was in love with Elizabeth the first."

"Someone wrote a book on that?" He asked.

"Yes, it seems one of your cousins published it, they are rather proud of it." She said. "And this is literally historical gossip. And you love gossip and you love history."

"That is true." Said Abraxas begrudgingly.
"Speaking of which, it seems you have neglected to tell me about your betrothal to Evan Rosier." He Said pointing an accusatory finger at her.

"Oh, that'll be over soon enough." She said confidently.

"What do you do to these men." He asked, not truly wanting to know the answer.

"Well initially I'll threaten them, you know if ever they are disloyal, I am a serial
monogamist you know, with chopping up their ba-"  she began.

"You know what, I don't want to know." He said, not wanting her to finish that. "Do you sleep with them?" He asked.

"Gods, no. Not that they didn't try. But," She said. "I never loved any of them."

"Good." He Said. 

"So you and Ana, anything I shouldn't know about?" She Asked suggestively.

"No, not yet." He said. "But on the subject of Notts, the younger one is 'going to try to tame you.'" Said Abraxas, using air quotes.

"God, what does he think I am, some kind of wild animal?" Freya Said. "great transition, by the way."

"It seems so." Said Abraxas , "speaking of wild animals, it seems that you've caught the eye of a certain snake."

"I would hardly call snakes wild, but who, nearly all pure bloods are in the house of the snake." She said, knitting her eyebrows together.

"I'll let you figure that one out for yourself, you always have been delightfully oblivious in matters of the heart." He Said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She Asked.

"Ana, you look ravishing, my darling." Said Abraxas.

Ana blushes softly, matching her peach coloured dress. "Thankyou." She said, linking arms with Abraxas.

"Shall we?" Said Freya.
"Hold on." Spoke the voice of Finnick Nott. "I wish to accompany you, it is not right to let a lady be a third wheel."

"She won't be a third wheel," spoke the distinctly cold voice of Tom Riddle, "I will accompany her." He looped his arm around hers "if she'll have me."

Freya's face went through several different emotions, before she made up her mind. Tom knee very well that he had backed her into a corner. He knew she couldn't refuse unless she wished to go with Nott,   who he knew she wouldn't want to go with.

"Of course." She said offering a fake smile.
They proceeded to walk out. The sun shoe brightly as ever illuminating Freya's features for Tom;s viewing pleasure.

"Why do they all covet your hand in marriage." Asked Tom Coldly

"I suspect a large portion of it is that I'm not related to them. They marry me they don't have to marry their cousin." She said shrugging. Tom could understand this of course, marrying a cousin sounded disgusting. Even muggle royalty was inbred at this point. 

"And what are you looking for in a husband?" He asked.

"Leave the husbands to their wives, I want a single guy." She said, Tom chuckled softly, as he often did when he was with Freya.

"You know what I mean." He Said.

"I feel as though I've already answered this question, Riddle." She said. "So How is Hogwarts treating you?"

"Quite well." He Said.

"I'm going to ask you something and you need to respond truthfully." She said

"Okay." Said Tom.

"Are you planning on taking over the world?" She Asked in all seriousness.

"Not all at once." He said, as if it were a joke.

"When you do, could you leave me a nice peace of land, undisturbed. Oh and don't marry me off to any of your followers." She said jokingly.
I won't even let them look at you. Thought Tom darkly.

"Of course." He Said.

"Have you ever scene a muggle film?" She Asked.

"No. Have you?" He asked.

"Yes, That was my big teenage rebellion." She said laughing softly. "Contributing to the muggle economy."

"And how did you get in?" He asked.

"Well I find muggles can be very accommodating." She said. "All it really took was batting my eyelashes at the ticket boy, and I was let in I gave him some galleons of course."

Tom frowned at the thought of her flirting with another. He wondered what it would be like if she flirted with him. Batting her eyelashes at him and looking as him, those big sapphire eyes filled with desire.

"What is it exactly that your family does?" Asked Tom.

"Well, We run a multi-faceted magical corporation. Investment and ownership of a few select businesses as well as high ranking ministry jobs. Each Taschereau has left their mark, either writing a book, or becoming the head of a department, or adding on to the buisiness." She said, "it's very taxing, but I will inherit it someday."

"And does North America have a wizarding bank?" Asked Tom.

"Yes, we own it." Said Freya.

"So, you really are the most spoiled person ever." Said Tom, chuckling lightly at his own humour.

"Yes, I am. But I intend to create something of myself. I will hardly be self made but I will prove myself." She said. Freya spoke defensively, as though he was accusing her of something sinister.

"And how will you make your mark on the family business?" Asked Tom.

"I have a plan." She Replied

"A husband and children is not part of that plan?" Asked Tom.

"If I marry, my family's livelihood goes into his hands. I don't think I could trust another person that much." She said. Tom found himself understanding completely, if he were in her place he would not dream of handing off her family's dynasty to which ever man her father chose for her. 

"But what if you met someone you could trust?" He said.

"Is this an interrogation?" She Asked, Why all the questions?"

"I just like learning about you." He Said, he was absolutely delighted when she started blushing.

"Okay, then I think that it's my turn to learn something about you." Freya had turned the conversation on him, as they walked down the path.

"Alright." Tom spoke tentatively, nervously anticipating her potential questions.

"Well, where did you grow up?" She Asked, Tom almost breathed a sigh of relief, but he stopped himself, this would look suspicious.

"London." He answered.

"Did you grow up in an orphanage?"

"Yes, how did you know."

"I put together the pieces. Did you have any friends?"

"I was particularly fond of the snakes in the garden."

"When is your birthday?"

"New Years eve."

"That's amazing. And at school, do you do well?" She Asked.

Tom just raised an eyebrow. She laughed, "I'll take that as a yes."

Tim adored Freya's laugh, as much as he adored her apparent desire to get to know him, as he wanted to know her.

They had arrived at the ice cream shop, Freya met Ana and they were talking in hushed voices. Tom wondered if this had anything to do with their game.
Ana went up and came back looking unamused.

"It didn't work." She said.

"My turn, if I win, I get the glory, and that necklace we bet on." Said Freya.

Freya approached the ice cream guy who looked about 20. He was undoubtedly taken aback by the girl's raw beauty.

"Hi," she glanced at his name tag, "Ted," she placed her hands on the counter and shifted her weight. "Do you have any fudge?" She Asked, the practically star struck boy nodded,
"Could I have a vanilla sundae with hot fudge." She said

"Yes." He replied.

"Sprinkles, rainbow not chocolate." She said looking up to him. She picked up a cherry and licked it. "And cherries." She said, "at least three. And what else..." she said.

"Nuts?" He asked. Freya burst out laughing.

"Thank you Ted, you've just made my day." She said returning to her regularly poised self. She turned to Ana with a bud smile,"I believe you owe me a necklace?"

"You know Miss, you are really beautiful." Said Ted, speaking up again.

"Why Thankyou, Ted. You're rather dashing yourself." She said jovially.

"You're a dead ringer for Grace kelly." He Said

"Thankyou." She said.

"You know Hedy Lamarr releases a new movie, there's a cinema here in town." He Said.

"As much as I adore the cinema, I'm afraid I'm already attached." She Said, she waved a claughda ring she wore around her finger, the heart was pointing inwards meaning she was in a relationship. "Besides, the movies never do justice to how brilliant she is." Freya took her icecream and sat next to Tom.

"Would you like some? I can never finish it." She said, offering Tom a separate spoon.

"So, you're attached." He Said. Tom hd to stop himself from getting angry, she had just offered him ice cream after all.

"What?" She Asked.

"You have a boyfriend." He Said.

"No, I don't have a boyfriend, I just wear my ring that way because I don't like men hitting on me." She Said. "Do you want ice cream or not?"

"Sure." He Said, taking the spoon from her. "So you are really wondering about running away."

"Only at times, but there is too much I can't leave." She Said. "You seem to want to escape your life too. But I enjoy the stability, I like getting dressed up, and I cannot wait to take over my father's company. All I want to escape from is the pressures on me to get married. So what is your favourite ice cream flavour?"

"Mint." He Said

"You know, Mint is like the cold version of spicy." She said almost methodically.

"Where do you go to school?" He asked.

"I was meant to go to Ilvermorny, but my grandmother wouldn't allow it. She said that if I weren't to go to beauxbatons, I would have no skill whatsoever."

"Isn't beauxbatons simply a charms school?" He asked.

"No, actually we have a similar curriculum to durmstrang." She Said. "And Hogwarts, you must be in Slytherin."

"Yes, it is the superior house."

"I would think Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw would be the best houses." She Said.

"Those spineless puffs, and those unambitious twats," he said.

"Yes, Hufflepuff is the most hard working, and Ravenclaw are original and imaginative. They are the most leaves headed and decent of the houses." She said, as she ate some of the icecream.

"Well, Slytherin is far superior." He said.

"Alright, I'll take your word for it." She Said. He smiled, so willing to believe in him. Or maybe it was simply because her favourite cousin was in Slytherin, and not because the dashing Tom Riddly belonged to the house of the snake.

"Good." He Said, ignoring all orevious thoughts, focusing his gaze instead on the large shop window that showed their reflection as they ate ice cream. If Tom had bee a passer by he would have sworn the pair were on a date.

"Freya, I've changed my mind." Proclaimed Ana.

"Really, does it work any better?" Asked Freya, earning a chuckle from Tom.

Ana glared at her.
"That bet was way off, we should have done something different." She said.

"But I won, you owe me a necklace." She Said 

Ana huffed indignantly. "Give it to me by this evening." 

"Is every night an event with pure bloods?" Asked Tom.

"Every family dinner with more than one is." Said Freya.

Tom wished he could be the one to escort Freya to all these dinners, he wished she was already his. He hated having to play this game as a prelude to the romance he was sure would follow. Tom could not wait to see what she would wear. He wanted her to be his dark lady. Have dark magic reach her soul and make her dependant on him for guidance.

He even picked up a dying dandelion and made a wish on his way back to the villa when no one was looking.

I wish she could be mine, hopelessly irrevocably mine

A/N Hey. What is up. Editing is fun. But like look at the pictures, they are both so gorgeous I cannot even. Now for the soap opera esque questions at the end of each chapter;

Will Freya fall in love?

What will happen to Jane?

Are Freya and Jane more compatible than Freya and Tom>

How will Tom's game end?

Is it truly a prelude to romance if he is not capable of love?

Do you even need love in a whirlwind romance?

Can Tom learn to love?

How will Freya get out of this betrothal?

Keep reading and find out, and vote and comment funny comments to make me laugh cause we all know the comment section is the best part. 

Until next time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 1.8K 22
Y/n Malfoy's family decided to make an arranged marriage between Lord Voldemort's oldest son Tom Riddle and their daughter Y/n. Its Y/n's last year i...
258K 5.9K 27
It's a Tom Riddle fanfic obvi... •SHITTY DESCRIPTION ACTIVATED• Tom Marvolo Riddle has no heart. At least, that is how it seems. And he is complete...
313K 8K 89
~Tom Riddle X Reader Story~ (Y/N) wasn't too excited to start her last year of Hogwarts, she has a hard time getting along with anyone there, especia...
227K 5.9K 28
His angel. His heart. The only thing the great Tom Riddle would ever love, that's what they called her. His daughter. She was his everything and he w...