Tales of Berseria The X: Beyo...

By kaiserdracon

As the Era of Asgard crumbles, the sins of the past stand poised to consume the world. Despair and Salvation... More

Chapter I: Welcome to Midgand, Mr...?
Chapter II: An Unexpected Encounter
Chapter III: A Simpler Life Part I
Chapter IV: A Simpler Life Part II
Chapter V: A Simpler Life Part III
Chapter VI: A Stolen Happiness
Chapter VII: New World Order
Chapter VIII: The Reunion
Chapter IX: The Unforeseen Circumstances
Chapter X: Into The Fray
Chapter XI: Road to The Empyrean Throne
Chapter XII: Assassins in the Night
Chapter XIII: The Buried Despair
Chapter XIV: Wolves at the Gates
Chapter XV: Oaths of Duels Under the Moon
Chapter XVI: More Than Meets The Eye
Chapter XVII: Sword of Annihilation
Chapter XVIII: What Doctor Ordered
Chapter XIX: My Creed
Chapter XX: Just Another Killer
Chapter XXI: The Wise Grimoirh
Chapter XXIII: The Righteous Side of Hell
Chapter XXIV: The Drunken Shepherd
Chapter XXV: Did Someone Order a Secret Fort?
Chapter XXVI: A Stroll In The Demonic Waters
Chapter XXVII: A Spell for Empty Hearts Part I
Chapter XXVIII: A Spell for Empty Hearts Part II
Chapter XXIX: Spring Breeze Theodora
Chapter XXX: Shadow of Calamity
Chapter XXXI: My Precious Velvet Part I
Chapter XXXII My Precious Velvet Part II
Chapter XXXIII: A Broken Heart
Chapter XXXVI: Farewell to Tenderness
Chapter XXXV: White Light Part I
Chapter XXXVI: White Light Part II
Chapter XXXVII: Season of the Reaper - Part I
Chapter XXXVIII: Season of the Reaper - Part II
Chapter XXXIX: Truth of the World - Part I
Chapter XL: Truth of the World Part II
Chapter XLI: The Stage of Apocalypse
Chapter XLII: The Valley of Kings
Chapter XLIII: Destiny
Chapter XLIV: The Final Battle
Epilogue - The Greatest Story Never Told
Bonus Post-Ending Chapter: Sure Promise
Bonus Post-Ending Chapter: Tomorrow's Answer
Bonus Chapter: The Eternal Blue Sky

Chapter XXII: The Wrong Side of Heaven

804 74 8
By kaiserdracon

An ear-piercing scream woke Avernus up. His body jerked toward the door as it opened widely, and Laphicet, frightened to death, dashed inside. "Avernus! Please! Velvet is-!"

Avernus didn't waste any time and ran toward the door, passing Laphicet and going into the village.

A chilling feel washed over his nerves as he saw lifeless bodies of villagers littered the pavement.

He began to breathe heavily, and his forehead was wet with cold sweat. Dark clouds covered the sky. The air reeked of malevolence.

Avernus examined the bodies, noticing lacerations and scars on them. "Daemon claws?"

Avernus turned to Laphicet, but he was disappeared into thin air.

Suddenly, A demonic, eldritch roar grabbed his attention as it came from the outside of the gate. Avernus scrambled toward the source. Then, he saw a man leaning against the door and laughing to himself. Avernus immediately recognized Zaveid's voice.

"What happened?!" He rushed to his side frantically and held his shoulders, raising his torso and looking directly into his eyes. "Answer me, damn it!"

Zaveid's eyes were white and blank like death. "That girl is one hell of a-"

His breathing stopped, his eyes went blank, and his head dropped to the side of his shoulder. Avernus tried to use his healing, but he couldn't cast it. Nevertheless, it was too late for Zaveid.

Avernus whipped his head around, looking for his malak companion."Tia! Tia! Where are you?!"

Avernus couldn't feel her anymore as if she never existed. He looked at his hands and found out that the flow of mana in his body was now gone, no magic, nothing.

Another roar pulled him out of his thoughts. He opened the gate and saw flashes of green and blue magic artes illuminating the sky far away. As he ran with a breakneck speed, a cloud of black smoke covered the area. In the distance, he saw Eleanor, Laphicet, Magilou, and Rokurou running towards the hill. In the black smoke, however, was Eizen, clutching his head and shouting in pain.

Avernus knew what was going on. "No, no, no! Get back! Run!"

The smoke became thicker, and a pair of enormous black wings appeared inside of it. The next howl that came out cleared the dark mist. A giant, black dragon of gigantic proportions emerged from it. Eizen had succumbed to the corruption.

The dragon jerked his head and flapped its wing, flying towards the group. Magilou slowly turned to him and grinned. She mumbled something unintelligible. She jumped on one of her enlarged guardian papers and went towards the dragon, head-on as if she suddenly decided to distract the creature.

"Get back, Magilou! Run you stupid, woman! Run!"

Avernus throat was sore, and his shouts were futile. In a matter of seconds, the dragon opened his jaw and snatched Magilou out of the air. The black monster then flew off with his prey.

The scene chewed and chipped at his psyche. He looked in the direction of the hill, but there was no trace of the rest. He quickly climbed the mountain. The sounds of clashing were getting closer. Then he heard a cry, and the body of Rokurou tumbled and dropped down, passing behind his head.

His body hit the stones and stayed motionless. Avernus's breathing intensified, and he scaled the hills as fast as he was able. He finally reached the top;

Eleanor and Laphicet were fighting a giant werewolf. Avernus recognized Rokurou's twin blades dug in the monster's black, and the daemon itself felt familiar. He reached to his belt, but the Dreamshadow was gone. He had no weapon. He heard a scream and raised his head, watching Eleanor as her lifeless body landed beside his feet.

Avernus hurried to her side. Her throat was slit, and she struggled to breathe. He put his hands on the wound. Her eyes were blank, looking frightened into the sky and coughing up blood.

"Stay still, Eleanor!"

Her coughing stopped, and her frightened eyes remained open. A great, cold and chilly gloom enveloped his soul. His hands began to shake, but then he remembered Laphicet; he lost his vessel, and it was a matter of seconds for him to turn into a daemon. Avernus turned and ran towards him. Laphicet was standing near the werewolf, and it seemed he was talking and even pleading to it.

The monster raised its arm. As it was about to hit Laphicet, Avernus jumped and pushed him aside, but the claws found him instead and with a broad slash, he was hurled to the other side. The world began to circle him, and an excruciating pain surged through his body.

As soon as he hit the ground, Avernus looked around to locate Laphicet. The kid was also lying on the ground, only a few meters away from him. Avernus tried to stand up, but half of his body was insensible, and he couldn't feel his legs. A dark cloud began to surround Laphicet's body.

Dread, anger, and dismay covered his mind. He crawled and crawled towards the kid. He extended his arm towards him, hopelessly shouting, "Silver flame!"

Avernus tried to no avail. Suddenly, a large shadow cast over him. As he turned his head, he saw the intimidating and enormous werewolf standing on top of him. The daemon grabbed him by his shoulders and picked him up like a helpless little doll. Avernus instantly recognized the daemon, a very long black mane, traces of red clothes hanging from the sides, and still wearing some steel armour on the arms and legs. Her wrathful golden eyes were staring at him. Hate was all that Avernus could sense from her gaze. A loathe that he knew was because of the shepherds.

"Please... Velvet... Laphicet is..."

The werewolf Velvet growled and instantly began to crush his from both sides. He cried in pain. Velvet's amber eyes flared up as if yellow flames were pouring from them. Avernus's voice failed and shook as his breath began to escape him,

"I was weak. I couldn't save them. I couldn't save Laphicet."

She slowly opened her mouth; saliva began to drip from her fangs.

" I couldn't save you, Velvet... I'm... I'm sorry."

Her mouth abruptly closed around his head. Avernus felt nothing but void and emptiness.

"Velvet!"

Avernus opened his eyes, screaming.

Avernus whipped his head around. He was still at the inn. He fell asleep on the table with his tools surrounding him. He gasped for the air. His throat was dry, and a cold sweat covered his face.

" It was a nightmare."

Avernus looked around the room; he was all alone. He took a few seconds to collect his thoughts. It was probably late in the day since he could hear people talking outside the inn. He hastily picked up all his belongings and placed the newly crafted bullets in a separate pouch.

Avernus left the inn. The sunlight immediately stroked his eyes. Covering his face, he scanned for Laphicet and saw him talking with Eleanor, Velvet, and Magilou. He quickly strolled towards him. As he got closer, he saw Eleanor and Velvet were both irritated, having their backs at each other. Magilou walked between them,

"Oh! Two sisters are struggling for the affection of their brother. Eeny, teeny, candlestick! Which one will the moppet pick?"

Laphicet closed his eyes and turned away from them, "How about an older brother, instead?"

Avernus, oblivious to what was going on, went to his side. He patted him on the head, trying to hide his concerns. "Are you alright, Laphicet?"

The boy raised his head. He was puzzled at his genuine concern. "Good morning! Yeah, I'm fine."

"That's good to hear."

Avernus looked to the girls and let out a sigh of relief. They were also confused; he seemed unusually happy to see them as if he had returned from a year-long voyage. Velvet narrowed her eyes. "Are you okay?"

Avernus nodded as he removed the gruesome images from his mind and replaced them with new, delightful ones. "Yeah, I'm fine. Seeing you all alive and well makes me at ease."

Magilou slid closer. "Alright, since you're here, Avernus, let's see; which one of these girls do you want to pick to be your younger sister? Hmm?"

"...As long as everyone promises me to take care of themselves, I will be their brother. Even to you, Magilou." Avernus said.

Magilou groaned. No resistance, no disagreement, and no chastising.

Avernus wrecked an excellent shenanigan. "I've got to admit; I've lost. This one's yours, Avernus, you weirdo."

But Avernus wasn't mad at all. After that nightmare, all he cared about was that the misfit group was fine.

They went to the gate to join the rest. Avernus held Velvet's arm and pulled her a little bit closer.

"What is wrong with you? You're acting weird, Avernus." Velvet complained, blushing a little.

Velvet's image of her turning into a mindless monster wouldn't escape his mind. His greatest fear was realized in his nightmare; failing Velvet. Avernus remained silent while gawking at her silently. From that up close, Velvet's cheek began to burn hot. "You know I'm always here for you. You don't need to carry all these burdens yourself."

"What are you talking about? What's gotten into you?"

Avernus held her hand and raised it, placing it on his chest. "Just don't forget that you can count on me, and I'm counting on you. As a friend, as a comrade, and more importantly, as a partner."

Velvet growled in annoyance. "You know I hate when someone pities me."

"I don't pity you," Avernus insisted. "You're cool-headed, calculated, collected, and you have a strong conviction. But no one alone can make it through."

Velvet looked at the rest of the team near the gate. His assurance felt welcoming to her. She sighed and then turned to Avernus again, "You're overthinking it. Whatever is going on between us is not worth occupying your thoughts and mind to this extent. You know very well why I'm doing this, and I can take care of it, even without your help."

Yet again, he seemed to ignore her. "You know, sometimes I just want to hug you. Even though I know, I'd probably get a beating for doing it."

Velvet frowned again defensively. "Damn right, not unless you want to get hurt."

Avernus gently released her hand with an arrogant smile. She wondered. Avernus was one strange specimen.

Growl!

Avernus's rumbling stomach reverted them into the realm of reality. Avernus swallowed, and Velvet glanced at his belly. "Haven't you eaten anything?"

"No, nothing. I just woke up and came straight to you."

"You know that there is no more breakfast for you to eat!" Velvet scolded him.

"Don't sweat it. I'm not a child. I can hold my hunger for days and not worry about eating."

Velvet shook her head. "Same as your sleep? Must you always be a stubborn boy?"

Avernus suddenly beamed proudly. "Do you care about me?"

Velvet gasped as she was showing more interest than she wanted. "I-It's about. It's about you taking care of yourself. First sale'tomah and now skipping breakfast. You know, you're the worst example for someone that wants to look up to you."

The corner of Avernus' lips curved into a smile. "Talking about how you shoved sale'tomah into my mouth, you can feed me breakfast if you want."

Velvet frowned. "Then that will be your last breakfast."

Avernus waved his hand. "I know, but this is who I am right now. Shall we start the hunt?"

Velvet agreed, and they joined the party. Tia noticed Avernus and came to his side. "So, you're finally awake."

"Yeah, creating those bullets took their toll on me."

"Before we continue, I have a question to ask," Tia wondered. "Soaring Pegasus or wolf in the shadows?"

"What?"

Tia giggled with a mysterious intention waving behind her eyes. "It's easy. Choose one, soaring Pegasus or wolf in the shadows."

Avernus rubbed his chin. "Pegasus is fine, I guess, but..."

Tia's grin widened, thinking he'd pick the Pegasus.

"... I've to go with the wolf in the shadows." Avernus decided.

Tia's eyes narrowed, and her grin faded. "You're no fun at all. But I think I should've expected that."

"Expect what, Tia?"

"Bienfu was talking to Laphicet this morning about Velvet and Eleanor. He called Velvet, a wolf in the shadows and Eleanor, a soaring Pegasus." Tia explained.

"And you wanted to know what my taste is-"

Suddenly, Velvet quickly came from behind him and slammed a pouch to his chest. "Here, dumbass. Eat."

Being caught off guard, Avernus took the pouch and opened it; it was a quick-made cheese sandwich. He raised his head to thank her, but she was already on her way towards the gate.

His eyes were fixated on her lengthy hair, floating in the air. "I'm on the wolf's team. That's the wife material right there."

"Wife material? Her ?" Tia asked, looking displeased and jealous, crossing her arms.

"Yes. If a man wants to start a family, girls like her are what you need in your own life." Avernus admired her, nearly drooling at that perfect sandwich.

"What do you answer when they ask you why your wife has a daemon-devouring arm?"

Avernus took a bite from the sandwich. "I can shrug and look stupid. It's a talent."

Tia knew arguing with him was futile. "Let's go. We've wasted enough time as it is."

Avernus and Tia joined the team as the Innkeeper's daughter approached them.

"I happened to overhear you all talking about going to Palamedes, and-"

Velvet clenched her fist and gazed threateningly at the girl. "Did you report us to the Abbey?"

"Report?" The girl was baffled and gestured at Eleanor and Avernus. "But you already have exorcists with you."

Velvet was at ease and was more than eager to let Eleanor do the talking. "Then talk to her if you have any business."

Eleanor agreed. "I'm Eleanor Hume and an exorcist with the Abbey. How might I be of service?"

"I want you to look for someone; a mother and her child went to visit the Abbey grounds, but they haven't returned. The mother's name is Mahina. She's a priestess of Amenoch, and her little daughter's name is Kamoana."

Avernus stopped his eating. A sudden pang of anxiety wave in his stomach, hearing their names. "They've closed the temple. Why would she go there?" Avernus asked.

"Ever since the Abbey kicked her out from the temple, Mahina's been regularly going back to make her objections heard. But one day she never returned home, and now her daughter has disappeared too. I can only assume that she went to look for her mother. I just can't imagine Mahina would abandon her daughter like that." The girl explained.

Avernus calmly put away the rest of the sandwich. His stoic expression was back. The inn keeper's daughter continued, "Kamoana is next in line to succeed her as a priestess, so she had a strict upbringing, but her mother truly loves her,"

"We will find both of them," Avernus assured, and Eleanor nodded in agreement.

The inn keeper's daughter's eyes brimmed with hope before bowing and leaving them.

Velvet glanced at them, narrowing her eyes. "Let's go, Mister and Miss exorcists." Her voice was a bit envious.

Velvet led the team through several rock formations of the Manan Reef, and they navigated the harsh landscape. Avernus was striding fast. He was determined to save Kamoana and her mother, jumping left and right above wet holes. Eleanor hastily walked more quickly to reach him, "Hey, wait, I have a question," Avernus stopped and turned back.

"You're... You were a Shepherd once," Eleanor asked. "You must have an idea what Lord Artorius is scheming. Something is happening in the world right now, and I want to know."

Avernus shrugged and parkoured the floating stones, choosing the hard way. "You're asking the wrong man, Miss exorcist."

"Wait!" Eleanor desperately followed him. Her jumps were clumsy, and she nearly fell into the water. But she persisted, and with the last jump, she lost her balance. Avernus quickly caught her hand and pulled her inward. Eleanor gasped and nodded thankfully. "Avernus, you once told me that you'd teach Laphicet and me everything you know to improve our odds of survival. But this little old Eleanor has never been deemed trustworthy enough to be given any information by the Abbey, yet you decided to help."

Avernus's expression didn't betray any emotions, and he remained silent.

"Why are you against Lord Artorius and the Abbey?" Eleanor raised her voice. "Why are you following this band of rogues? What are they doing to make you want to stop them?" Eleanor hopelessly wondered.

There was a long pause.

"Because it is the right thing to do," Avernus replied. "Both helping you and them."

Eleanor expected a more detailed answer or speech. Yet, his eyes showed her the same thing.

"But most people hate you. The world hates you!" Eleanor insisted, trying to get more out of Avernus.

"Maybe. After all, we are on the wrong side of heaven but the righteous side of hell."

Eleanor gazed over Avernus as he resumed his way toward the temple. She repeated those words in her mind. Indeed, not the place she hoped to end up, but his determination made her more at ease, and Eleanor wanted to follow him instead of Artorius.

They soon reached the temple. It was on the shore and the remnants of ruined stone columns and a large door leading into an underground passage. The waves hammered the walls mercilessly.

The team rushed towards the entrance and spotted the bodies of several exorcists lying on the ground, remnants of a fierce fight. Avernus and Eizen went to check up on them, but an ear-piercing shriek came from the inside, and a cry of a man followed afterward. The group was alerted to a daemon's presence.

Magilou stretched her body, ready for the confrontation. "That's probably the daemon we heard about. It sounds like it's having fun already."

Velvet turned to the group. "Then we will use this distraction." She then glanced at Avernus, "Any objections?"

Avernus nodded, and they stormed the temple, pounding down the long staircase.

Laphicet beamed with excitement. "Wow! We're under the ocean!"

"This was a place of worship for Amenoch," Magilou said. "The water Empyrean. The ancient civilization built this place underwater for the same reason that Eumacia's temple was built underground."

"Can any of you malaks feel an Empyrean?" Velvet asked.

Eizen checked their surroundings, shaking his head in dismay. "These temples are nothing more than places of worship built by human hands. I can't feel anything."

"Then why build them?" Laphicet asked.

"The current religion started when humans, fearful of natural forces, began to worship four gods they called the Empyreans. Humanity is always looking for someone to worship and lead."

Eizen's description of the Empyreans made him realize something. Since he arrived in Midgand, the definition of their so-called gods and Empyrean resembled Hyland's comprehension of their goddess Tiamat. But to him, she was no god and no Empyrean; Just a powerful, prideful, and self-conscious malak. She was nothing like Innominat.

Eizen continued. "If you're concerned about whether or not one is sleeping in these ruins, just remember that their very existence is a myth."

"Innominat certainly exists, whatever it is," Eleanor added.

Rokurou was anxious, his hands ready on his blades. "We're lucky. if there were four more like him and they all were trying to stop us, we'd be done for good."

Avernus moved in front of the group protectively. "Then let's not try to wake any more of them."

Velvet nodded and joined him.

The group quickly navigated through corridors. They reached the middle chamber and scanned the area. The architecture of the place was old but complex and colourful. The site was littered with the bodies of exorcists and the remains of their malakhims.

"It seems that the daemon wiped out the security for us," Velvet noted. Then a growling was heard. They knew that the creature was near. Velvet opened the middle door, and they rushed into the next room.

The team stopped as they heard the low growl. Avernus located the source, a crouching daemon lycanthrope. The daemon was scratching the door, and then it raised its snout, smelling them. The lycan turned to the group and extended its claws, showing its fangs. Avernus suddenly noticed a pendant hanging from the daemon's neck.

Magilou recognized the shape and the emblem. "That's an Amenoch crest she's wearing. The same thing that priestesses wore."

The identity of the daemon became clear. Avernus extended his staff to the full size. He shut off his emotions. The thing he always did. It was becoming something routine.

Another life that he couldn't save.

"She must be the missing mother," Rokurou pointed out.

Eleanor, hoping to find mother and daughter alive and well, stuttered and froze in her place. The daemon recognized her as an exorcist and howled furiously. It dashed towards her in an instant with an intent to kill.

Velvet pounced to meet the daemon's attack head-on. She whipped her therion arm, and it tore through her bandages with its sharp claws. Velvet coiled her hand and threw a punch that hit the daemon right in its gut. The lycan jumped back, growling like a wounded animal.

"Don't just stand there, or you'll die!" Velvet yelled at Eleanor.

"I know that! But-" Eleanor's voice shook, and she went for her staff, but the daemon regained her balance. It pounced above Velvet's head and came right for Eleanor again.

"Blazing Whip!"

Avernus's flaming red leash twirled around the monster's legs. Avernus yanked it hard and smacked the daemon to the ground.

Laphicet followed Avernus's attack and clawed his hands over the space in front, conjuring his arte. "Void Mire!"

A void well appeared around the daemon and snared her in dark bindings. Eizen saw the opening and slammed the daemon with a great punch. Zaveid followed Eizen's attack and threw his pendulums at the daemon. Finally, Rokurou finished off their chain attack with a wide swing of his sword, slashing the lycan in the abdomen.

The daemon stumbled back, but she was still on her feet. Her resilience proved to be much more than they anticipated.

"Now! Rise! Arise..."

Avernus turned back and saw one of Magilou's guardian papers was extending towards the ceiling.

"Ascending... Angel!"

Avernus rolled to the side, managing to evade the attack as it fell on the daemon. The ground rocked for a moment. The daemon was flattened to the ground, and her energy was all spent. Eleanor slowly walked towards it and pointed her spear at the daemon,

"To think a priestess, beloved by her village would become a daemon. She's never going to be the same again. This is the least I can do for her. So says the reason!"

Avernus grabbed her spear. "The reason is not important, Eleanor. But the choice is."

Eleanor looked back at him with confusion. The tragedy was too much for her to process. Innocent people were easily getting caught in the crossfire, and nothing could've saved them.

Suddenly, the daemon used hesitation and escaped.

Velvet, upset by the whole philosophical ordeal of Avernus and Eleanor, quickly passed between them. "Stop standing there!"

Velvet's long hair drifting in the air pulled Avernus from his thoughts. Velvet was the decisive factor. His mind concluded that they would be behind the schedule if they didn't have someone like the daemon lady at their side.

Zaveid hurried to Avernus' side, catching him by surprise. "Hey, Can't you heal or revert that daemon into human form?"

"Her mutation has already gone into higher levels. Even if there's a way to turn her back, I don't know about it." Avernus explained.

Her fate saddened Laphicet. "Even after turning into a daemon, she's still searching for her daughter."

"There are times when there is no way," Avernus said.

"Velvet, Rokurou, Kurogane, and Dyle all remember what they wanted when they were human, right?" Laphicet asked.

Avernus recognized his desire, but the truth was something else. "It's a different case with her. We're dealing with a frenzied daemon that went through high levels of mutations."

"Daemon or not, she's a mother, and she's still protective of her child," Laphicet argued. "Can't you use those Silver Bullets on her?"

Avernus pulled Siegfried from his belt, staring at it. "I doubt that work, but I'll try it."

Eleanor was still shaken, but her side of reason took over her. "We can't risk it. I know that must be how she felt like a human, but daemons don't have a sense of motherhood or any such thing."

Avernus sensed her anger. "Each daemon is different. I know that I don't need to remind you, but didn't they teach you anything in the exorcist school?"

"You saw how violent she was. She's not Mahina anymore!" Eleanor said but a lump of sadness was suffocating her throat. "When she became a daemon, she lost all capacity for empathy and love-"

Avernus interrupted her. "Don't lecture me on demonology, Eleanor. Not every daemon is the same."

Velvet's came forward. "Eleanor is right. I don't feel compassion or love."

Magilou giggled bitterly. "Oh, snap, Avernus."

"It's the truth," Eleanor insisted. "One daemon left unchecked could take a hundred lives. You told me that you once fought the daemons for that very threat they pose to humanity. Daemons can wipe out entire villages, even cities."

"I did, but not everything is black and white. You need to see beyond the surface, Eleanor."

Rokurou agreed with the rest. "Eleanor's right. Perhaps it would be a mercy to grant Mahina peace through death."

Laphicet had the same idea as Avernus, even if Velvet didn't believe it and came to his side, supporting Avernus. But he nodded at Laphicet in appreciation and walked toward the door without uttering a word. "Let's give chase. We need to take care of it either way."

They resumed their search. During their pursuit, they came across doors locked by water magic. Hindering their progress, Avernus and Laphicet moved forward to decipher the wall writings to find a way to unlock the path ahead. Rokurou decided to break the heavy silence that was upon the team, "Is Innominat really an Empyrean? Because according to the song Grim and Laphicet deciphered, Innominat is an eight-headed dragon, right? Zaveid had a point; The Empyreans are supposed to be these holy beings, but using therions to feed on malevolence sounds more sinister than divine to me."

Eleanor was distracted by the truth. "You two got the point. Empyreans are a different type of malakhims. Especially when we're talking about an eight-headed dragon."

"Is it so far-fetched?" Eizen wondered.

"I guess not at this point. We didn't know that Empyreans existed. Having that kind of creature is not far from reality." Eleanor expressed her concerned mind.

Laphicet turned to Avernus as the latter was deep in translating the instructions. "Avernus, what do you think will happen if the therions come together in one place?"

Avernus couldn't think of anything unique to quench Laphicet's curiosity,

"Um... I don't know...."

Rokurou smirked. "Oh, you're no fun, Avernus. Hey, Laphicet, my take is; it wouldn't be good. They probably merge into a giant, horrific monster! The beast will attack us with its eight long, serpent-like necks and eight heads spitting hellfire!"

Avernus narrowed his eyes at Tia. Having fought a five-headed dragon before, he shared his own experience. "Not just hellfire; particle fusions, thunder strikes and in some occasions, maybe corrosive waves."

Laphicet jolted from fear. Tia answered his skeptical gaze with a natural smile, "Or maybe, there is even more fun you still haven't experienced." She teased Avernus.

Rokurou was excited, imagining an epic fight in his mind. "Right? And we've had enough manpower to counter all eight heads!"

Laphicet was warmed up and clenched his fists in excitement. "Do you think each head would act of its own free will? Because if they do, they'd be uncoordinated, bumping into each other and going this way and that, giving us an opening. If we fight as one united whole, I know we can win!"

Tia chuckled at Laphicet's interpretation, "They may have their own free will, but I doubt they'd be uncoordinated."

Avernus's mind was still hazed with concern for Mahina and Kamoana's fates. His heart raced with uncertainty.

Eleanor beamed with confidence. "Yes! If we work hand-in-hand, victory is surely ours! Right, everyone?"

Avernus rolled his eyes and went back to deciphering the writings. Velvet looked the other way, showing absolutely no interest in the matter. Zaveid, feeling tense, decided to distance himself a bit further. Eizen and Rokurou slowly turned their backs as if they didn't hear her. Eleanor swallowed.

Magilou, faking a smile, went to Laphicet's side and put her hands on his shoulders. "Us, united? Have you looked at us recently?"

Laphicet just stood there, baffled and out of words to express himself. Velvet shook her head and went to the door, looking impatient. "Is there some sort of trick to it?"

"These diamond-shaped sigils are key pointers. This place leads to the heart of the temple. It's trapped, so we can't just destroy it, but I think-" Avernus, cold and determined like Velvet, raised his staff. It glowed and pulsed with energy.

After a few quakes, the door slowly opened.

Everyone was watching Avernus and his staff puzzlingly.

"How did you do it?" Tia wondered.

Avernus shrugged. "I don't know. Kind of knew it, somehow." He disregarded it and was the first one to enter the vault.

The long staircase led to an open area below. Laphicet felt a great force resident further down. They pounded down the stairs and came to a halt as they spotted an entity. Avernus moved closer and identified the entity as a demonic tree covered by a thick emanation of malevolence. It had two long tentacles in front and a large mouth with something inside it that he couldn't recognize. At least not yet.

The daemon sensed their approach. It pounced at the ground with a loud shriek, but it hit a magical barrier and crashed back into the ground.

"Another therion." Avernus observed.

Tia scanned the creature and the glowing shield. "Yes, just as Velvet guessed, each of the seven heads seems to assume a different form."

Laphicet instantly recognized the place of power. "This is just how I felt in Warg Forest. That must have been an earthpulse point back there, too."

Magilou swept a gaze over the therion. "Well, what are we going to do with this one? Can we get it to shrink like Laphicet's bug?"

"Therions can assume two different forms," Avernus explained. "One for combat and consumption of malevolence and one for assuming normal form. The answer to your question is; yes. But I don't know how we're going to force it to revert."

Velvet extended her wrist blade, eager to finish the daemon off. "We attack it. I don't care whether it lives or di as long as we defeat it and take out one of Innominat's heads. That's all that matters."

Velvet scrambled towards the monster, and they all followed suit. The tree therion lashed its first arm at Velvet, trying to bat her out of the way. She slid under the extended branch and slashed broadly, cutting off the arm. The daemon didn't flinch and targeted Avernus as he was behind Velvet. The daemon threw two newly grown branches like spears aimed at his chest. Avernus positioned his body between the small space the tentacles, and they missed him barely. Avernus pulled his arm back to conjure a blazing Javelin. Then he spotted a person in the daemon's mouth. His breath escaped him for a moment, and then he reversed his arte.

" It can't be ...Cease the attack!" Avernus ordered.

Among the chaos of casting artes, swords clashing, and shrill cries, nobody could hear him. Avernus watched as the rest of the group unleashed their combined attacks on the monster. Tia appeared from her orb, materializing beside him. "Why did you stop?"

"The daemon. It's-"

The daemon was thrown to the ground with a strong punch from Eizen.

Rokurou whipped his blade, readying himself for the next attack. "I don't think this one is getting any smaller."

Velvet transformed her arm, ready to finish it off. "Then we kill it for good."

Before anyone could do anything, something quickly leaped above them and landed between the group and the daemon.

They recognized the daemon lycanthrope from before; Mahina.

Avernus instantly pulled Siegfried and fired a purification round at the beast. The bullet hit the daemon in the chest. Silver sparks and bolts enveloped her.

They waited for signs of change. It appeared that it did not affect the daemon except for a brief moment of stun.

Eleanor quickly dashed towards her. "I won't let you get away this time!"

"Eleanor! Stop!" Avernus yelled to no avail.

She didn't hear him. Eleanor raised her spear and slashed at Mahina. Without any resistance, she absorbed the brunt of the attack and was hurled to the other side, near the wounded tree daemon.

Still alive and to everybody's surprise, Mahina slowly crawled her way towards the tree daemon. The daemon spotted Mahina and growled in frenzy. Suddenly, it pounced and bit the Lycan's head.

Zaveid turned his back at the scene in disgust. But this wasn't something new for the rest. Velvet had already consumed many daemons during their travels. This one was going to prove very different and very familiar at the same time.

"That therion is... eating another daemon?!" Eleanor shockingly observed.

Abruptly, they heard a shrill and broken voice coming out of the werewolf,

"I'm..."

"so..."

"...sorry... Kamoana!"

A black mist engulfed the daemon. The growls and shrieks slowly turned to loud cries of a little girl, sobbing and asking for her mother. The cloud went away and only a small and strange child appeared.

Avernus felt a wound in his chest, but he was motionless, showing no physical reaction or emotion, stoic as ever.

Laphicet gestured at their front. "Look, it turned into a little girl!"

Eleanor's body stuttered as a galvanic shock rippled through her body. Eleanor recognized the little girl. "It's Kamoana!"

Avernus, looking physically calm, began to slowly walk towards the girl. Kamoana continued her weeping, paying no attention to the people around her.

"Mommy, why? Why did you leave me all alone?" She wept as if she was imprisoned in a dark world.

Each step Avernus took, an echo of pain hit Tia's soul. The malevolence was overflowing in his heart, but she knew that he could manage it. Kamoana felt a shadow over her head. She looked up and was greeted by a familiar smiling face. Avernus crouched on one knee and slowly put his staff down. His cold and strong expression toned down to a kind face and a calm voice.

"Hey, Kamoana! I'm finally back."

Kamoana's eyes widened. She immediately recognized him.

"Where is my mommy... Did I do something wrong? Was I too weak?"

Avernus gently put his hand on her head, "No, of course not, Kamoana. You're strong. Your mother told me to look after you while she's gone."

"Really?" Kamoana sobbed, but she was beginning to calm down. "I tried so hard to be strong for her. The man from the Abbey made me strong."

"The man from the Abbey." Avernus guessed who that man would be and he felt a pang of hate in his soul.

"Don't worry about it, little princess. I'm sure she will be proud of you." Avernus applauded her.

"But when will she come back? I miss her so much."

"I don't know, Kamoana. I miss my mom too. But in the meantime, you'll be with me, alright?"

Eleanor covered her mouth with her hands, gasping. Her misty eyes froze on the scene. The Abbey's image began to crumble more and more. "I can't believe it. Then, that woman was trying to save her daughter! This is my fault!" Eleanor fell on her knees.

Magilou shook her head. "The Abbey turned her into a therion? Damn, those jokers get off on this "sacrifice" stuff, don't they?"

Rokurou turned to Velvet. "So, it seems that we'll bring her with us."

Velvet glared back in disapproval. "No, someone like her will only slow us down."

Tia knew Avernus wouldn't let anything touch the little girl. Not even Velvet. "I don't think he would leave it for debate."

"Then I'll leave you two behind too." Velvet furiously replied.

A new voice yelled at them from behind. "That therion isn't going anywhere."

They all looked back and saw Oscar Dragonia, standing near the stairs, with his blade in his hand.

Eleanor scrambled to her feet. "Oscar! What is the Abbey doing? Please tell me. I have to know!"

Oscar prepared to draw his blade. "The less you know, the better."

"I must know!" Eleanor pleaded. "I killed her mother, and then the poor girl, she-"

"Ah, so she must have devoured the daemon. But don't let that trouble you. The daemon was a necessary sacrifice to bring an end to this world's pain and suffering." It seemed nothing bothered Oscar. He really believed what he said.

Eleanor violently shook her head. Tears slowly began to fall from her eyes, streaking down her cheeks. She nearly screamed, "That wasn't just "some daemon"! She was a mother! She was all this girl had!... Her one and only mother."

Oscar lowered his head to avoid her sorrowful gaze, "Be that as it may, those who possess strong wings must-"

To his surprise, Velvet used the distraction and dashed, kicking him hard in the stomach and hurling him to the wall. Oscar went cold and lost consciousness.

Velvet glared over Oscar, crossing her arms. "It's not nice to make a girl cry."

Velvet then turned towards Avernus. She was ready to take care of the therion. Laphicet sensed his intent and moved in front of her. Eleanor quickly joined him, "Have you no compassion?!"

"Get out of my way, you two. This isn't up for discussion." Velvet demanded.

"I thought you just wanted to weaken Innominat! You can sever the link! You don't have to kill her!" Eleanor pleaded, but Velvet ignored her and strode toward Avernus and Kamoana.

Avernus heard the coming footsteps. He smiled at Kamoana. "Close your eyes."

She agreed, and as he hugged her and picked her up. Kamoana rested her head on Avernus's shoulder. He heard the sound of Velvet's arm gushing into is therion state. He slowly turned to her.

Velvet suddenly stopped. His gaze was something she never expected nor experienced.

Avernus was staring at her like a born-killer. Those eyes were windows to the embodiment of wrath and rage. It was like an uncontrollable beast that was hiding, ready to pounce at a mere wrong movement. All because he was protecting a small child.

Velvet hesitated. There was no more tenderness. It hit her at that moment; Avernus was capable of more. His rage and convictions weren't something he was going to back down from.

Velvet thrust her hand at Avernus.

Her claw barely passed his hair and hit the invisible barrier behind him. The shield lit up and broke into pieces like fragile glass. Velvet broke eye contact with Avernus and left.

Magilou was amused. "Oh, someone's had a change of heart. I wonder, was it tears or the gaze? One of them truly does have frightening power."

Velvet stopped beside Magilou. "I'm just curious about something they said after deciphering the book. I can always kill this one later."

Laphicet, Tia, and Eleanor ran to Avernus's side. His death glare was gone. Laphicet sensed that he was mentally exhausted. The light in his eyes was dimmed. Avernus slowly put down Kamoana. Laphicet smiled at her, "Hey, Kamoana, my name's Laphicet. Do you want to come with me and my friends and get out of here?"

Kamoana looked at Avernus unsurly, "But when will my mommy come back? I feel lonely without her."

Words evaded the Avernus's mind. Eleanor mustered up a lot of mental energy. Wiping her tears, she managed to smile. "You're not alone, sweetie, I promise. Like Avernus said, even if she's far away, your mother will always be looking over you."

"I told you, Kamoana. You'll be safe with us. That's what your mother wants." Avernus said in assurance.

Clap

Clap

Clap

"That is so wonderful and heartbreaking. I think I'm even crying."

Avernus slowly raised his head. Someone was walking down the stairs, applauding the group.

His armour reflected the dimmest light in the center of the temple. An Abbey knight with a blue long cloak. He then took off his helmet. "I had a hunch that I would meet you here again." It was Lucian, and his mocking tone was nothing new to Avernus's ears.

Avernus walked to the front of the group. Silent, emotionless, and stoic. Lucian looked at the unconscious body of Oscar and sneered, "That boy still needs a lot of training. I told Artorius to assign this kid to less threatening areas. But he didn't listen. Guess Teresa needs to live in constant fear of losing his dear brother." Nobody could tell that if Lucian was talking to them or he was talking to himself. Nonetheless, he turned to the group, observing each of them. He began to comment on every single one.

Lucian first saw Rokurou. "Ah, you must be Rokurou Rangetsu. The little warrior wannabe. The one who couldn't win and couldn't get over the fact that he can never be as good as his brother."

Rokurou pulled his swords, angry, his red demonic eye flashed."That's just cheap talk. Why don't you come here and find out for yourself?!"

Lucian grinned, and his eyes switched to Eizen. "Oh, the daydreaming malak, who loves to play pirate on the sea, carrying a curse as well as a head full of ideals. Aifread proved to be a nuisance, but in the end, he will submit. I wonder... what would I do if I can get my hands on 'you know who.'"

Eizen frowned like never before."I've bashed many heads, exorcist. But when I do you in, you can be sure that I'll take it slow."

Lucian then looked at Eleanor, shaking his head in disapproval. "Little Eleanor... How far you've fallen. I thought you'd be a better person, but oh, well, Avernus can be persuasive sometimes."

Eleanor clenched her fists. The tears returned to her eyes again, "Lord Astor! Why are you doing all of this? Just why? We should protect people! What goal justifies this... this atrocity?!"

"If Artorius hasn't filled you in, then I can't say anything. Especially in front of your new colleagues. But it doesn't matter. You will be nothing but collateral. We can always replace you but we can't replace this opportunity." Lucian said.

Eleanor took one step back as her old teacher deemed her expandable. The reason demanded that she was nothing but another tool. Laphicet felt her sadness and came to her side protectively. Lucian noticed him, "There he is; the 'Curious one.' You'd better not see this. Once I'm through with them, you'd be coming with me so, step aside."

Laphicet looked at him with disdain. Seeing his vessel breaking down, he yelled at the Legate, "You've made Eleanor cry, You've threatened my friends, and you made me angry! I won't forgive you!"

Lucian waved his hand dismissively, not flinching under his threats, and looked at Avernus,

"Oh my, did he learn that from you, Avernus? Whatever, I don't care. You can join your dear friends... in death."

Zaveid stepped forward, and anger waved behind his face. "You Abbey potheads are responsible for so many miseries. I'm not sure I can tolerate your cruelty any longer myself."

Lucian's eyes widened after he noticed Zaveid's presence, "The 'wanted Malak.' This must be my lucky day. All of our number one enemies in one place."

Tia slid beside Avernus, showing herself. After seeing her, Lucian immediately bowed, "Lady Tiamat. This isn't the best place or the best time for a reunion. Although I had a hunch that Avernus might've been using you."

Contrary to everybody's tense mood, she was calm, and Lucian's attitude turned to a more formal and respected manner, "He is not using me, Lucian. We had a deal, and I'm honoring that. Nothing more, nothing less."

Lucian gently nodded, "I see. Forgive me, my lady, but you'll understand how wrong you were when I'm done with them."

"I'm here for fun and adventure, Lucian. I've been kind of stagnant back in Hyland. So, don't take things so seriously."

Lucian finally glanced at Velvet. He felt that she might attack him any second. He frowned as their eyes met one another.

"Oh, so that's the grand prize. You're the most unique daemon that I've ever seen. So despicable, full of hate, despair, and reeks of death and misery. But..."

His frown was suddenly gone, and his tense voice was relaxed for a moment. "...You're smoking-hot at the same time. Wild, crazy, and feisty. Heck, we didn't have such a specimen back in Hyland, did we, Avernus? The daemons are improving. I might have to reconsider my goals."

Black smoke spewed from Velvet's bandages. She glared at him like a wolf observing her prey before tearing it apart. "You talk too much, exorcist."

Lucian shook his head and slowly put his winged helmet back on. "Here we go."

Magilou quickly shimmed her way between Avernus and Velvet. "What about me?!"

Lucian paused for a moment before turning to Avernus. "Who is that joker? Your group is a circus."

Four white orbs emerged from him and one by one, they turned into malaks. Avernus leaned near Tia, whispering. "Tell everyone not to attack the malaks. Let me handle them."

Before they get into their stances, Tia moved back and whispered what Avernus said. Velvet frowned, and others stood there confused and baffled.

"So, you're going to turn them into dragons again like a pathetic loser?" Avernus mocked Lucian, slowly walking toward them in confidence.

"Probably not. I want to have some fun first," Lucian replied.

Avernus suddenly scrambled at the malaks head-on with a breakneck speed. "Well then, have your fun."

Zaveid, fearful and uncertain of Avernus' intention, instinctively ran after him."Wait! Don't kill them!"

The closest malak raised his staff to attack, but Avernus was quicker and smashed him in the chest with a powered punch, throwing him into the ground, and the hidden haughty smile went away from Lucian's face. Avernus fired an arte quickly at the malak while it was down on the floor. Lucian stumbled as he felt his power over malaks weakened. The second malak flew towards Avernus and dived from above to stab him with his spear. Avernus evaded the malak's attack and his spear missed him, hitting the empty ground. The malak sensed something behind his head, and another blast in the point-blank hit him.

Lucian felt another power amputated from him and recognized the weapon Avernus used on the malaks."Siegfried! Damn you, Avernus!"

Laphicet and Eleanor's faces beamed slightly. "He's cutting off the tethers!" Laphicet excitingly declared.

The third one rushed with his shield, trying to bash him away. Avernus was quicker and he side-stepped to the left of the malak as he passed him. As the malak was wide open, Avernus put the Siegfried under his chin and fired it. He flipped to his back and Lucian felt his power waning even more. Lucina conjured his long sword and prepared to attack him.

Tia was ready and waved her hand elegantly, casting her Omega Barrage spell at Lucian. The flying swords darted at the Legate, forcing him into the defensive as he raised his enormous shield. The fourth and final malak teleported above Avernus and raised his spear. Avernus reacted in a blink of an eye, pointed the Siegfried at her face, and fired it instantly. The green round hit her in the head, and she fell to the ground near Zaveid. Her helmet came off and her long white hair was loosened all over her shoulders. Zaveid paused for a moment as their eyes met. She was baffled, "Where... am I?"

Zaveid grinned pridefully and helped her to stand up. "Don't worry. We're here to rescue!"

Lucian's spirit power dropped to the lowest and he fell to his knees, groaning in pain. Avernus pushed his thumb into the blood slot of the Siegfried, and the weapon glowed red.

Avernus aimed the gun at Lucian and pulled the trigger. "Begone."

The red beam streaked through the room and exploded with a bright red flash. After the blast subsided, Lucian was nowhere to be found. His spot was empty.

Avernus turned to the rest. "He's gone. Let's get out of here."

They agreed and, along with four malakhims ran towards the exit. Zaveid came to his side, "Thank you for not killing them."

Avernus turned to him and saw Laphicet and Eleanor walking behind him, gazing at him with approval.

"Don't mention it," Avernus mumbled.

Tia suddenly merged with him, whispering in concern, " This is not good. The malevolence level is rising ."

" That would explain why I suddenly feel kind of heavy in the head ."

As they exited the temple, they looked up in the sky with fright. The dark clouds thickened the sky.

"We need to find Grim and get out of here," Avernus suggested.

To Magilou's surprise, she saw Grim ambling to their side. "What's up, Grim? Did you come to share something else you found in that book?"

Grim looked at her, eyes hazed with concern. "Not quite. I'm afraid the malevolence has grown too dense for me to hole up at the inn, reading."

The worst-case scenario crossed Avernus's mind, "Then the people back in Haria-"

"Yes, the people are hitting their limits." Grim acknowledged.

Velvet, Eleanor, and Laphicet stood there, puzzled by what they were talking about.

"What limit? What's going on?" Velvet asked.

Avernus looked back at the temple. "So, therions were keeping the malevolence in check. With Kamoana gone..." He immediately turned to Zaveid and threw the Siegfried and the ammo pouch to him. "Here. Catch."

Zaveid caught them, looking unsure what to do with Siegfried.

"I have a mission for you. Go and help the people of Haria. Use the silver bullets. If you're quick as you claim to be, you can purify the villagers before they turn into full-fledged daemons."

Zaveid smiled in approval. This was the only thing he was willing to do. "Will do."

"Everyone, go back to the ship. I got unfinished business back at the temple." Avernus declared.

Laphicet and Kamoana ran to his side, "Where are you going?! Why don't you come back with us?"

"I'll be back soon, I promise," Avernus said, looking assured of himself. "I need to send some present right back where it belongs, through the Innominat's gullet."

As Avernus was eagerly ready to go back, Velvet yanked his arm. "Where the hell do you think you're going?!"

"Stopping malevolence from spewing. This earthpulse must be sealed tight." Avernus said.

Velvet pulled him closer, "I don't care about malevolence or these people. Don't act foolishly and come back with us."

Avernus smiled in pride. He had to do it, or the fault would be on Velvet's action. Her guilt would be too much for her and the rest of them to handle. "You know that's not true. I'm doing this for you."

"If you don't come with me, I will leave you. Van Eltia will not wait." Velvet threatened.

"It's okay. Even if you go back to the sea, I will find my way back to you." Avernus didn't flinch, and his conviction forced her to surrender to his overwhelming confidence. Avernus used this opportunity to slide away. Nothing was going to stop him.

Velvet sighed and shook her head. "Let's go to the ship."

Zaveid ran towards Haria. The white-haired malak followed him.

"Go back to your friends. This is a dangerous task." Zaveid advised.

"I want to help, and you don't have a say in this." She insisted.

Zaveid was intrigued, chuckling at her strong spirit. "What's your name?"

"Theodora."

"Zaveid."

They smiled at each other. Zaveid loaded the silver rounds into Siegfried. "Then let's help those people."

Velvet saw them running past them like a whirlwind.

She quickly turned to Avernus as he disappeared behind the hills.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 210 27
As a member of the Botanist Guild, you and your team make headway to the land of Coertha's in an endeavor to further your knowledge of the abundance...
164 16 7
[This is a one-shot original work of fantasy] {COMPLETED} Tired of the same old "other world" anime? This is my play on the subject, turning it on it...
424 74 36
(This is book 2). It has been five years since first arriving to the nuclear shelter. Hikari Hada, now 11, wishes for an exciting, fun life outside...
2.8K 277 48
The world of Desolation is one of peaceful uncertainty. Flourishing, the archipelago continent is ruled by the Holy Midgand Empire, a country of comp...