When Words Fail

By alic160

Albus Severus Potter has feelings for his best friend, but he doesn't know if the feelings are returned. Bec... More

1

154 5 8
By alic160

Albus' POV

Scorpius and I ran into the empty classroom full of excitement, Scorpius slammed the door behind us.

"I can't quite believe I did that." He says pacing back-and-forth.

"I can't quite believe you did that either," I say punching his arm playfully.

"Rose Granger-Weasley. I asked out Rose Granger-Weasley!"

"And she said no." I remind him,  shaking my head at his behavior.

"But I asked her. I planted the acorn. The acorn that will grow into our future marriage!" It is at this moment that I realize no matter what I say he will never get down from whatever cloud he was sitting on.

"You are aware that you're an utter fantasist," I say practically pushing him out of the classroom.

"And I would agree with you— only Polly Chapman did ask me to the school ball...." he says as we head down the several flights of moving stairs towards the main hall.

"In an alternate reality where you were significant— and I mean really significantly more popular— a different girl asked you out- and that means—"

"And yes, logic would dictate I should be pursuing Polly— or allowing her to pursue me— she's a notorious beauty, after all— but a Rose is a Rose." He says in a dreamlike tone, and I roll my eyes, when did my best friend become such a lady's man?

"You know logic would dictate that you're a freak? Rose hates you." I didn't say that to hurt his feelings only to snap him back to reality, but it doesn't appear to be working.

"Correction, she used to hate me, but did you see the look in her eyes when I asked? She pity's me." I'm pretty sure it was more of a discussed than pity, but there's no use in trying to stop him.

"And pity's good?" I ask as we step onto another set of moving stairs.

"Pity is a start, my friend, a foundation on which to build a palace— a palace of love."

"I honestly thought I'd be the first of us to get a girlfriend," I say rather quietly, I hadn't really thought about it until now, and even with Delphi I felt more of high respect then romantic attraction, but honestly what's the difference?

"Oh, you will, undoubtedly, probably that new smoky-eyed Potions professor- she's old enough for you right?" He says jokingly, but I give him a glare nonetheless.

"I don't have a thing for older women!" I say a little too loud making other students look at us.

"Well, you've got time— a lot of time— to seduce her. Because Rose is going to take years to persuade." He laughs with a mischievous smile that in a way brings out his gray eyes.

"I admire your confidence."

Suddenly out of what feels like nowhere Rose passes us in the stairway, she stops as if debating on whether to face us, then turns and grabs Scorpius' cloke "Hi." Scorpius and I stay dead quite not sure how to respond.

"This is only going to be weird if you let it be weird." She says in her Stern voice.

"Received and entirely understood," Scorpius says fidgeting with a hole in the sleeve of his cloak.

"Okay. "Scorpion King," Rose says then quickly walks away with a smile on her face, I don't really know what to make of that or how I feel about it, I look over at Scorpius he seems happy, so I decided to be happy for him and put on a smile.

"Maybe you're right— pity is a start." I laugh as we head down the stairs towards the courtyard.

"Are you heading to Quidditch? Slytherin is playing Hufflepuff— it's a big one—" he says picking up his pace to keep up with me.

"I thought we hated Quidditch?" I say somewhat confused with his sudden change in behavior.

"People can change. Besides, I've been practicing. I think I might make the team eventually. Come on." He says running out in front of me.

"I can't. My dad's arranged to come up-" I say looking down at my feet.

"He's taking time away from the Ministry?" Scorpius asks.

"He wants to go on a walk— something to show me— share with me— something," I say trailing off.

"A walk?" He asks, and I give a shrug nod thing that I don't really know how to describe.

"I know, I think it's a bonding thing or something similarly vomit-inducing. Still, you know, I think I'll go." Scorpius Pulls me into a huge "what's this? I thought we decided we don't hug." Not that I'm complaining or anything.

"I wasn't sure. Whether we should. In this new version of us— I had in my head." He says, and I'm not quite sure what he means by it.

"You better ask Rose if It's the right thing to do," I say jokingly, thoroughly enjoyed the hug.

"Ha! Yeah. Right." He laughs, and then we dislodge, grinning at each other.

"I'll see you at dinner," I said before running off to find my dad.

(Time Skip)

Dinner is excellent as usual, the walk with my dad went surprisingly well, and everyone at the Slytherin table is happy about there win today, but yet I feel off.

Scorpius is rattling on about the game and how we did, but I zone him out, sumthing doesn't feel right, and I think it has something to do with my dad.

"All are you listening?" Scorpius asks tapping my shoulder.

"What?" I say snapping out of my trance.

"You weren't, ok what's wrong,"

"Nothings wrong," I say zoning out again.

"Albus, you haven't eaten anything on your plate, you have been silent this entire time, and you haven't told me to shut up about Quidditch once! Did the walk with your dad not go well?"

"No, it went fine."

"Then what's wrong?"

"I don't know, something just feels off, you know how the owls always know to hide before a thunderstorm, it feels like that,"

"Are you telling me you want to be an owl?' he jokes, even thou, it doesn't feel like a joking matter.

"Scorpius I being serious, something doesn't feel right,"

"Maybe you just need some sleep?"

"Yeah, maybe,"

After about an hour we leave the main hall, and head to the Slytherin dorms.

The next two months seem to blur together, Scorpius and Rose went on a couple of dates and next thing I know there dating? And the empty feeling I had only got worse.

But hay it's Christmas break, what's the worst that could happen?

(Time skip)

Scorpius' POV

"Are you done packing?" I ask leaning over Albus' shoulder.

"Almost why?" He asks shoving a cloak into his suitcase.

"Well I just wanted to check-in and see how you were doing, I've noticed that you have been acting a little down since Rose and I started dating, and I just wanted to check in-"

"You've said that twice."

"What?"

"You said 'check-in' twice."

"Oh... sorry.. but anyways. Are you ok?"

"Yes, Scorpius I'm fine," He says zipping up his bags.

We both stand in awkward silence, it hasn't been this stiff since the day we first met, "Would it be ok if," I begin wondering if now is a good time to ask.

"If what would be ok?" Albus asked turning his attention to me.

I take a deep breath, "Would it be ok if Rose sat with us? It wasn't my idea, she wants to but wanted me to ask you to see if it was ok." I say rather fast.

A smile cuts across Albus' face, and he lets out a little laugh, "Of course she can."

"Oh okay," I say, A weight lifting from my shoulders.

"Did you think I was going to say no?" he laughed.

"Well, I guess, you just haven't seemed yourself recently, Rose thought it had something to do with your fight,"

"That fight was a long time ago,"

"Yeah, I know, honestly I don't know what we're thinking, but you are okay right?" I ask again just for clarification.

"Yes I'm fine, now you should go find Rose before we have to leave," 

It doesn't take me long to find Rose, she's in the library making sure all her books won't be due till after break.

"Hey, Rose!" I said quietly not wanting to be yelled at for being too loud.

"Scorpius!? Oh good, can you help me with my book?" She says gesturing toward her massive pile of books, it wasn't that she was checking out a lot of books it was more like she was checking out three Reilly big books.

"Yeah of course," I say, and she hands me the two smaller books and grabs the most significant book to carry herself.

"Are you even going to be able to finish all these books before the end of Break?" And as soon as I say this she gives me a look, a look that I imagine Hermione giving Ron all the time, the look, pretty much says are you kidding me? Have you forgotten who you're talking to? "Sorry stupid question."

Rose laughs "There are no stupid questions unless you're in class, then there are stupid questions." She says as we leave the Library "But for the most part I should be able to unless my dad decides to do something as a family, what about you what do you have planned for the Break?"

"I don't know, it's the first holiday that my grandparents aren't coming and dad doesn't really like the holidays, so I don't know."

"Why aren't your grandparents coming?"

"Well I don't really know but It think has to with how grandma hasn't been feeling all that well," he says looking off as if in deep thought, "And grandpa is worried that the trip will worsen her condition, on top of that grampa and dad don't get along,"

"I'm sorry about that, hay if you ever get bored you can always owl me," Rose says kissing my cheek making me blush a little.

"Oh, that reminds me Albus said you can sit with us on the train," I say as we step onto a moving staircase.

"Really I wasn't expecting that, didn't you say he was acting weird."

"Yah he has been acting kind of depressed lately, but he seemed fine today."

Rose was silent clearly in deep thought "this is my stop, I'll see you later." She said finally, grabbing the books out of my hands and heading up another flight of moving stairs.

-----------
This is basically the same as the first book but it changes a lot in the second chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 62.6K 43
" Wtf is wrong with you, can't you sleep peacefully " " I-Its pain..ning d-down there, I can't...s-sleep " " JUST SLEEP QUIETLY & LET ME ALSO SLEEP...
1.5M 34.6K 59
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
793K 47.7K 120
Y/N L/N is an enigma. An outgoing, cheerful, smiley teenage boy. Happy, sociable, excitable. A hidden gem in the rough of Japan's younger soccer pl...
2M 57.6K 95
On the twelfth hour of October 1st, 1989, 43 women gave birth. It was unusual as none of them had been pregnant since the first day they started. Sir...