The Lion Guard: The Northern...

De KentroKreations

The dry season is here, and it isn't exactly easy on anybody, but it only gets worse for the crocodiles. When... Mai multe

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Author's Note

Chapter 5

395 5 0
De KentroKreations

Dusk... 

"Hey, Makuu, is there something wrong?"

The crocodile leader, snapped out of his concerned trance, looked up to see Talib perched atop a nearby rock, staring at him.

"Huh? What do mean 'is there something wrong'? I'm fine!"

"Makuu, I can tell that something's bothering you," Talib stated.

"Well, I guess you could say that," Makuu admitted, then sighed. "Talib, mind if I ask you something?"

"It's about Masika, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is."

"Is it something I should worry about?"

"Maybe?"

"I'll take that as a 'yes'. Well, you can tell me about it later. I spotted Masika heading this way on my way back here, and I doubt she'll be happy if she catches us talking about her."

"Good idea."

***

Not long after Masika returned did Makuu lead her and the other crocodiles to the dry season sparring grounds, located not all that far away from the watering hole. Hodari and Talib accompanied them, but they decided to perch in a nearby tree for safety reasons.

Makuu would usually have his crocodiles pair-up and spar one another, but tonight will be a little different. This time around, they will face Masika in one-on-one fights to test each other's skills. It also provided the opportunity for Makuu and Masika to compare and contrast their fighting techniques.

{I know that Masika is a female, and female crocodiles shouldn't be as capable of certain things as us males, but she's done nothing but surprise me so far. If there is one thing that I don't want to do, it's underestimate her.}

***

"You're the last one, Makuu! You ready?" Masika called out.

At this point in time, Makuu's confidence level is at an all-time low. Although some fights lasted longer than others, Masika was able to beat all of Makuu's crocodiles. Masika was very strong and tactful in both her offensive and defensive positions, but Makuu noticed that she moved quite a bit slower than his crocodiles.

{She did say that crocodiles are expert water fighters where she comes from. I'm guessing that they aren't as skilled when it comes to fighting on land as compared to fighting in the water, but despite her fighting outside of her comfort zone, she's doing an amazing job of holding her own.}

"Hey! Makuu! What's taking you so long? Are you having second thoughts or something?"

"No! Just thinking!"

"Well, I highly suggest putting the brain work on hold for a while, that is, unless you plan on trying to outsmart me in this fight!"

"Let's just get this done and over with! Besides, you can't claim victory until you've beaten me!"

"If you are like your crocodiles, then that shouldn't be a problem!"

Makuu growled in response to Masika's cocky remark, and the next 5-10 minutes or so were spent with the two of them sparring with one another. Masika may be stronger, but Makuu is faster, and considering his status as leader, he has a better chance of winning as compared to the rest of his float. Blows were exchanged, and they either missed, were avoided, or hit their marks. This continued for some time, until Makuu managed a headbutt that sent Masika rolling tail lengths away, but little did he know that this was a part of a trick that she had planned specifically for her match against him.

Thinking that he actually might have a chance to be the only one to defeat Masika tonight, Makuu let his overconfidence overcome him. Masika staggered to her feet, but then noticed that her plan was working, and quickly lowered her body back down to the ground. She dug her claws deep into the earth, making sure that she had a tight and secure grip. As soon as Makuu was within striking range, Masika shifted her weight from one side to the other as she swung her tail slowly to one side and then quickly whipping it out on to her other side. Makuu had no time to react before the unexpected tail whip slammed into his body and knocked him off balance.

Makuu attempted to recover from the hit, but was unable to when an enormous weight slammed on top of him. His entire body and jaw, aside from his tail, were pinned beneath Masika. He could barely feel anything, except for a sharp-shooting jolt of pain in his shoulder.

{What is...oh no. The stupid thorn injury from my fall the other day. I completely forgot about it!}

"Uh, Makuu, not to burst your bubble or anything, but I think it's pretty clear that I won," Masika stated. "So, are you going to tap out or what?"

Since most his appendages were completely pinned, Makuu resorted to slamming his tail on the ground instead. Moments later, he felt the pressure recede as Masika removed herself from him, but he proceeded to stay down due to the pain in his shoulder, and now, his leg as well.

{I can't believe I forgot about that stupid injury. I mean, it was just a little thorn. I didn't think it would be that bad.}

"Makuu, are you okay?" Masika asked, sounding worried. "I didn't hurt you that badly, did I?"

"Masika, what happened?" Talib asked, having flown over to see what was going on.

"How am I supposed to know?!"

"What's wrong with Makuu? Is he going to be okay? Makuu, you're okay, right?" Hodari asked.

Makuu wanted to respond, he really did, but it's hard when nobody is being quiet: his float was communicating in hushed whispers, Hodari was freaking out, and Masika and Talib were arguing with each other. Makuu knew he had to get the situation under control, which meant showing everyone that he was fine, which also meant getting back on his feet. Between dealing with the panic or the pain, Makuu decided to face the panic first and get everyone to calm down.

Makuu groaned as he struggled to his feet, trying to put as little pressure on his wounded leg as possible. He was tired and barely had any strength left, and was close to collapsing. One of his crocodiles noticed this and moved forward to help support him. Makuu let a grateful look slip his fellow float member's way.

"I'm sorry, Makuu," Masika said, catching the leader's attention. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I shouldn't have made you fight in the first place, especially since your shoulder is still recovering from before."

"It's alright, Masika," Makuu reassured. "You're not the only one who forgot, you know."

Masika allowed a smile to pass across her face. Makuu smiled back.

"Speaking of which, may I check on that thorn injury of yours, Makuu?" Talib asked.

"Why not? It seems that you're the expert here."

"I promise I'll make it quick. It was clear to see that Masika's attack caught you quite off guard, so I'm not surprised that you are feeling some pain, but your shoulder shouldn't hurt more than the rest of you unless..."

When Talib stopped talking, the clearing entered a deep silence.

"'Unless' what? Why did you stop talking?" Masika asked, and when the bird didn't respond, she became worried. "Talib, what's wrong?"

Talib didn't answer Masika, but Makuu could hear him mumble something under his breath.

"Makuu's got a shoulder infection from where the thorn was stuck in him, and it unfortunately looks to be a bad one," Talib eventually answered, shocking everyone, including Makuu.

"Well, there is a cure, or at least something to stop the infection from spreading, right?" Hodari asked.

"I'm sure there is, but if there is any nearby that will work, I have no idea. Sorry."

"Great! So now what are we supposed to do?" Masika snapped.

"First of all, you need to calm down! Secondly, we need to find a cure for that infection before it gets any worse. If we don't find one by at least tomorrow, then...well...let's just say that it won't be a pleasure trip for anybody. Especially you, Makuu."

"Don't remind me," Makuu muttered.

{I don't know how Talib expects us to help him. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he's new to the Pridelands, but that's all I'm giving him. I mean, how does he expect a bunch of reptiles to help him find a cure for infection? No one in the Pridelands knows much of anything about healing!}

Suddenly, the answer hits Makuu.

"Does anyone have any suggestions that they would be willing to put forth? Anyone? Anyone at all?" Talib asked.

"Rafiki," Makuu said. "You could go talk to him."

"Who?" Masika and Talib questioned at the same time.

"Right. I forgot you two wouldn't know him, being new to the Pridelands and all. Anyway, Rafiki is this old mandrill that kind of serves as the kingdom's healer, so he'd be our best bet for help."

"Well, considering we don't seem to have any other options at the moment, I guess I can go find him and let him know what's going on," Talib half-heartedly agreed. "So, where does he live, exactly?"

"His home won't be that hard for you to find. Just look for the largest tree on the savanna."

"A big tree on the savanna? It doesn't sound too bad, but there's one little problem, and it's that I have no idea where I am going. What if I get lost or something?"

"Oh, for spirit's sake! Stop being so neurotic, Talib!" Masika snapped. "You're an explorer, and you never hesitate to let others know. If you can explore the seaside and endless expanses of desert and jungle, then you should have no problem navigating a savanna. That is, unless you made up all those stories because you were never a world renowned explorer to begin with."

"All of those stories are true because I did explore all those places!" Talib argued. "Besides, I explored during the daytime when I could actually see! How do you expect me to navigate this place if I can't see where I'm going?"

"Wait, if you can't see at night, then how were you able to tell that Makuu's injury turned infected?"

"Easy. Whenever an infection sets in, it usually has a certain feel or smell to it. That way anyone can tell whether something is infected or not without having to look directly at the infected site itself."

"The two of you, enough!" Makuu snapped. "Talib, I don't care if you have to spend the entire night flying around the savanna, just go find Rafiki before this thing gets any worse!"

"Alright, fine, I'm going! Just do me a favor and wait at the watering hole until then?"

"You don't need to tell me twice, Talib."

"Just making my list of orders and preferences a short one so that we can finally get this done and over with."

After Talib flew off to go find Rafiki, Makuu led his float, Hodari, and Masika back to the watering hole. When they arrived, Hodari climbed into a nearby tree while most of the crocodiles submerged themselves in the water. Makuu and Masika stood on the shore in silence next to each other. Makuu looked at Masika, and realized that she didn't look too happy at the moment. He wanted to talk to her, but wasn't sure what to say.

"You need something, Makuu?" Masika asked, breaking Makuu out of his trance, but not his silence. "Well, you should get some sleep. You obviously need it. Don't worry about keeping watch tonight. I'll take care of it. I'm not really that tired. Plus, I have some things to think about. Good night, Makuu."

{You, too, Masika} Makuu thought as he waded into the water and swam over to his spot in the middle of the watering hole and fell asleep.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

17K 283 36
"Ushari, now!" "No Kion!" "Stop, No!" 'Please be alright' The Pridelands have been at war for many years. Kion has been through much to make it this...
1.9K 44 17
Kionroar and the RoarPride have just found out that Pytrostar was feeding Cougars, lion blood. And Kionroar is worried what will happen to Ranileaf...
1.1K 58 33
A pair of scars forever connected two sworn enemies. The son of Simba and Scar's second in command. They are forever connected through the pain, the...
18.3K 277 15
Happy (early) Halloween. Here's a little special to go with my series. While traveling through the forest, Kion is starting to lose control. The Tuli...