Beasts Within Us | Newt Scama...

By DangitNifflers

'I did not ask for the things Ive been through, and I certainly did not ask my mind to paint and repaint the... More

01. Witches among us.
02. Chaos of Change.
03. MACUSA.
04. Evidence.
05. Dont get Attached.
06. Heart sigh
07. Shell shock.
08. Diamonds and Gold.
10. Convicted.
11. One of Us.
12. Execution.
13. Anticipation.
14. Geminio.
15. Danger.
16. Quiet.
17. Sparks.
18. Impulse.
19. Letting Go.
20. Downpour.
21.Consequences.
22. Somber.
23. Confliction.
24. Goodbye.
25. Terrified.
26. Intimacy.

09. Suffer Twice.

456 10 0
By DangitNifflers

  The group steps through the only sign of natural life in the city.  Their feet crunch over the frost that glistens under the moonlight. Walking across the bridge, an ostrich flies past them as if running from something. A rumble grows in the distance. Newt shuffles through his pockets and retrieves a leather helmet, handing it to Jacob.

  "Put this on." He instructs.

  The no-maj squints at the helmet the wizard holds. "Why- Why would I have to wear it?" he asks.

  Newt leans closer to him. "Because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force."

  He gives Jacob a smile before running off to the other side of the bridge.

  "I'll protect you, Jacob. Promise. " the witch assures before chasing after Newt.

  There's a slight tremble in his hands as he buckles the helmet to his chin and picks him his pace after them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ------

  A roar echoes in the streets of New York. Tina lifts her head growing suspicious. She stands up and marches for her and her sister's room. It's locked.

  "Dang it, Esther..." She mutters casting an unlocking charm.

  She slams the door open. It's empty. A fire grows in Tina's core as she storms off to grab her coat. Queenie stands at the door frame, devastated that Jacob left with her friend and the British man.

  "I made him cocoa..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ------

  The wizards and Jacob climb over the rubble that was the entrance of the zoo. Parts of it are demolished and more than half the animals residing left.

Growing grumbles

  Newt pulls out a leather chest harness, fully prepared for what could happen. He doesn't want a no-maj, especially his newly acquainted friend, to be compromised.

  "Okay, if you just, uh, pop this on." He orders Jacob for the second time.

  He stands behind him, helping to fasten it on him.

  "Now, there's absolutely nothing for you to worry about. "

  "Tell me... Newt, has anyone ever believed you when you tell them not to worry?" He asks looking up at him filled with uncertainty.

  "My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice, " he says with a faint smile. He goes to pick up his case while Jacob digests his choice of words.

  "I'm not worrying.  Esther says she'll protect me." He shouts for the wizard to hear.

"And protecting you, she will." He says looking back at her with a crooked smile than moving forward into an opening of an enclosure.

  Esther takes Jacob by the arm as they meet up with the magizoologist.

  At the entrance, loud snorts are heard from within.

  "She's in season. She needs to mate." Newt explains aloud.

  In front of them is a large, as big as a commercial construction truck, rhinoceros-like creature. A large horn protrudes from her forehead as she closes in on a frightened hippopotamus, her potential mate.

  Newt pulls out a tiny glass vial of liquid. His teeth rest on the stopper and yanks it open, spitting it across the enclosure. He dabs a drop on both wrists.

"Erumphent musk.  She's mad for it."

  The smell is pungent. Like patchouli. As disgusting as it is, the smell reminds her of her mother. Though nothing good comes to mind, she knows she used patchouli with almost everything. Growing up, she hated the scent.

  'Old people.' she recalls.

  Now it lingers a bitter taste in her mouth of what she doesn't have.

  Lost in her thoughts, she's brought back by Jacob nudging her with the vial of the memorable extract. She places two drops on her wrist and one on her chest. A reminder. She hands it back to Jacob for safekeeping, in case she's needed. She surveys Newt, who's crouching on the ground opening his case.

  His legs lift up as he squawks as long as he can at the erumphent. The erumphent whines, listening. Snorts come from his nose as he stands onto his feet then stomps a foot on the ground to drag it on the dirt underneath him. His arms are tucked by his sides, but elbows pointed up like a chicken. The creature stares at him, entranced.

  She lows, inching closer. The creature faces him, interested in her new mate. His eyes don't leave the creature. He hops back down into a crouch. He turns his back to her but doesn't break eye contact. He throws the back of his coat over to show off his 'assets'. Her body shimmies enticed. The erumphents eyes gleam as her horn illuminates a shade of orange.

  He continues to snort and swings his legs to the sides, creeping towards the case. He shakes his hind at her then rolls next to the case, hoping she'll mimic him. She rolls on he back, hooves paddle in the air, cooing. She's rolling towards the case.

  "Good girl." He praises.

  Perfecting the mating dance of the erumphents has finally paid off. The erumphent lays next to the case, almost entering it.

  "Come on... Into the case.." he persuades.

  The witch smiles at the sight. Her heart feels like it will explode. Jacob sniffs the strong musk once more before a fish slaps him resulting in the liquid splashing on his breastplate. He spins, finding the culprit. A seal.

  Branches from nearby trees rustle in the wind. The erumphent takes a deep breath. The aroma of Jacob fills her lungs. She turns to the no-maj, enthralled by him. By the time he turns back he notices the erumphents eyes on him.

  Esther stares at Jacob. Her eyes scan from the erumphent moving towards Newt, anticipating instructions. He stares back at the witch imagining the horror of what's to come. His mind raced to find the best possible plan.

  The erumphent charges towards the aphrodisiac, bellowing the entire way. Jacob shrieks fleeing from the scene. The creature follows him, crashing through the brick barriers. Esther froze, processing what has happened in an attempt to not trigger her panic reaction.

  'Disassociate.  Disassociate from the past.  They do not correlate.' She repeats to herself. 

Jacob frolics over the icy lake then shuffle through the first glazed field.

  Newt draws his wand, "Repar-" a baboon snatches it from him before finishing the spell. It runs off waving it in the air. "Merlin's beard!" He groans going after it.

  Jacob continues to run for his life with the erumphent closely behind him. "Esther!" He shouts.

  She snaps back to reality and blinks at the sight of their chase.   For a moment she watches Newt attempting to bargain with a primate.

'Snap out of it.' She tells herself.

  Her legs move towards the no-maj and beast. "Reparo!" She shouts as the wall behind her forms itself into one piece. She casts the spell again. Glitter shoots from her wand hovering over the shards of ice, mending them back together hardening the lake.

  She apparates to the base of the hill where Jacob hangs upside down clinging to a bare tree branch. The erumphent rests on her back, rolling over trying to graze the tree. Her stumpy feet swing in midair to encourage her mate. Once her patience wore off her grey horn flows a vibrant orange and submerges it into the trunk. It begins to bubble like molten lava then gives way, popping the tree like a corn kernel.

  "Reparo! Protego!" She casts.

  More glitter flows from the tip of her wand splitting into two strands; one encircling the tree trunk compressing it back together and the other encompassing the no-maj.

  "Jump! You'll be fine. I swear." She orders staring him in the eyes.

  His body stays frigid, too frightened to move.

  "Jacob! Trust me, " she assures him.

  He grits his teeth. He could dislocate his shoulder, or worse, break it. Although, if he doesn't listen to the witch, his entire body could crumble. He takes the chance and jumps. He rolls down the steep snow-covered hill without a scratch. Esther pulls him up by the arm and leads him back onto the lake. The erumphent is hot on their tails skidding on the ice.

  Newt leaps on the lake, with his wand back in his possession, landing gracefully with the case in his arms open. The erumphent has managed to climb up Jacob with her front legs and licks his face before getting sucked into the case where she belongs.

Silence.

  Claps echo through the deserted park.

  "Good show, Mr.Kowalski." Newt chuckles aloud sliding towards the two. He gestures his arm out to hoist Jacob up.

  A broad smile takes over Esther's face and laughter erupts from her gut.

  "You can call me Jacob," he says shaking the hand of his new wizard friend.

  From above the bridge, a figure watches the exchange between wizards and no-maj. They watch the group's feet slip and slide under the ice of the lake to shelter underneath the bridge which Tina Goldstein stands on.

  "Well, two down, one to go." The wizard announces laying the case down and opening it. " In you hop." he gestures to Jacob.

  More confident now, he steps inside the case with no issue at all. Newt steps down into the case and stops shoulder deep, holding his hand out for the witch. "It's quite slippery, so I want to make sure you don't fall." He mutters.  His eyes are drawn to her lips, too embarrassed for eye contact.  Although, they travel up to her cheeks upon noticing her blemishes darkening in shade to a vibrant red.

  Her lips form a faint smile. "Thank you Mr.Scamander." She says taking his hand.

  An uneasy smirk shapes the wizard's mouth, "How many times will I have to tell you to call me by my name?" He asks leading her down the staircase.

  The lid shuts itself, leaving the cramped stairwell dim.  Fortunately, Newt makes sure she steps down with ease.

  From above them, Tina races down the bridge to the case.  She sits on top of it and locks the latches.  This is the last time they'll escape from her.  Worry clouds her mind, but deep down, she knew what she needed to do to reclaim her position.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 754 62
Book 1/4 (Returned 2/4, Risen 3/4) My blood ran cold at her words. Everything went still. I noticed Ron and Hermione turn to look at me. Their faces...
536K 6.4K 68
Draco Malfoy love story. Friendship, smut, love, hate, trauma, broken hearts. MATURE CONTENT! 15+ ~ "You make me feel like I'm stuck, Emelia! Like I'...
1.5K 50 15
Back at Hogwarts for his eighth year, Draco is offered the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to enter a prestigious potion competition and maybe...
49K 1.7K 29
And so, with our last tale coming to a close your relationship is blooming, friendships are on the mend and your timetable is back to a manageable af...