Behind Enemy Lines

By Kings_Vill21

Beca Mitchell and Chloe Beale's relationship has been nothing but hateful remarks and bitter teasing for year... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 11

1.8K 33 2
By Kings_Vill21

Chloe doesn't understand how she ended up at Tom's house tonight, his friends chanting around him as he chugged beer after beer right in front of the redhead. She could see Aubrey grimacing beside her, politely sipping from her own solo cup as she observes the uproar as well. Chloe's on the verge of convincing the girl to leave, already feeling completely drained by the day's events. She rather spend the rest of the night in her bed, watching a movie until she falls asleep. It was always her favorite way to end the day; yet she's still here, in no mood to dance or pretend like she's having fun.

One moment, she was leading a late practice outside on the football field. The next, Tom and his friends were inviting her squad to meet up at his house after for a "Notorious party". She didn't feel comfortable letting Emily go without someone watching over her, knowing Legacy was still too vulnerable to attend a high school party by herself; especially if it were one of Tom's. She didn't know how well the girl could handle herself yet in this kind of atmosphere. Which leaves Chloe to the present, watching as Emily dances plastered on the small space in the living room where a dance floor was gathered.

The girl has the biggest grin on her face as her stroppy limbs sway around to the beat of the music. The people around her continue to spur her on, relishing the free entertainment. Chloe rolls her eyes as she sees the scene unfold before her, quickly returning her attention back to her ex who shouts along with his buddies. She knows Legacy would be okay if she stood by, Chloe is more than capable of altering her attention back and forth. The freshman's spirit and exhilaration made the unease between Tom and Chloe more tolerable, keeping the redhead glad that he wasn't attempting anything or looking as if her were planning to; especially in his drunk state.

Her own fatigue reminds her that she's ready to take the girl home though, as well as more of her lingering squad. She didn't like the idea of them attending this party in the first place, but couldn't influence them to follow her wishes anyways. She figures she'd let Emily tire herself out a little more though, just in case there was a possibility that the girl is an obstinate drunk.

Tom's show with his pals starts to bore Chloe, making her glimpse down to her phone a lot. She feels conflicted with her urge to text Beca, wanting to know if there was a chance that the girl was at the party too. She can't imagine the girl attending this kind of party though, knowing the students here were more braced in different social groups. Beca would easily seem out of place; Chloe can't even say if the girl enjoys parties or not either. She just knows that this one would be a lot more enthralling if the girl were here.

She turns back to Aubrey, sharing a mutual glance with the girl. The blonde nods her head in agreement when Chloe motions to leave, both of them knowing it's going to take some time to lasso up the rest of the girls. Aubrey sets off into one direction as Chloe moves towards the dance floor, shaking her head with a chuckle as she see's Legacy roboting her way through the small crowd. She had no idea the girl would be just as enthusiastic in her intoxicated state, as she was in her sober.

"Em!" She shouts, standing on her toes as she tries to wave the girl over. "Come here!"

The tall girl spins with her stumbling feet, her grin growing broader as she staggers her way to Chloe. The redhead places a hand on the girl's shoulder immediately, trying to stabilize the swaying freshman. "We need to get you home girly."

The girl sulks then, slumping her shoulders. "I don't w-want to go home yet." She whines, pouting firmly. "It'sss fun here."

"This won't be your last party, I promise." Chloe smiles, stepping beside the girl and looping their arms together firmly.

"Fine." The taller girl continues to mope, "Can we at least get some ice-cream first?"

"Maybe."

Emily beams then, holding onto her captain as the redhead leads her out of the house. "Have you ever been drunk before Em?"

The girl just giggles as Chloe takes her to the car, putting an arm around her waist now to keep her steady. Chloe rolls her eyes amusedly before speaking again. "You and I are gonna cruise until this passes through you, alright?"

"Passes through me? Like a ghost or something?" Emily stares at her wide-eyed, making them freeze in their tracks. Chloe tries hard not to laugh as she pulls out her keys, finding Emily to be rather cute.

"No silly, the alcohol."

"Oh okay." Emily then nods, beginning to walk again. "I mean, I-I don't have to pee yet, but we'll get there eventually."

Chloe just chuckles, "Also not what I meant..."

They approach her car then. Chloe quickly unlocks it after she leans Emily up against the vehicle, praying that the girl doesn't fall. The girl stares off impassively, slouching in her stance. "All that matters is-is if we get ice-cream or, or not." She then points to Chloe, her large puppy eyes working their hardest.

"I'll get you some ice-cream, don't worry." Chloe opens the passenger door, grabbing onto the girl's arm again.

The girl takes a deep breath before tossing her arms in the air jadedly, "Yes!" Her word drawled out as the redhead chuckles, helping her get into the car after. She closes the door then, looking back towards the house. She pulls out her phone, texting Aubrey that she's taking Emily home. She hopes the blonde can handle the rest of the squad on her own. Chloe then walks around and gets into the front seat, starting the car soon after.

She glances over at the cackling girl, checking the girl's seatbelt before driving away from Tom's house. Emily sings carelessly on the way towards the Baskin Robins, amusing the redhead effortlessly. Chloe loves that the girl is such a vocal and happy drunk, enjoying the girl's intensified zest. She just hopes it'll wear off soon though, so she doesn't have to deal with the wrath of Catherine when she takes her home. She had no idea how horribly that could go, and she doesn't really want to find out.

She pulls into the parking lot of the Baskin Robbins, turning off the car. She looks over to Emily, seeing the girl ready to immediately pounce out of her seat.

"Maybe you should stay here, while I go in?" Chloe suggests, taking off her own seatbelt.

"But…" The girl turns and pouts, making Chloe feel like she just kicked a puppy. "But I want bubblegum with sprinkles and a cone."

"I can get you that, no worries." Chloe smiles reassuringly, seeing the girl gloomily nod her head in acceptance. She would take the girl, but she didn't know if Emily could handle walking that far successfully without hurting herself. "I'll be right back, I promise."

She leaves the car after rolling down the windows a bit, walking into the small shop and feeling the cool breeze hit her. There's quite a few people sitting around and buying their dessert, making her hope Emily doesn't get antsy inside the car while she waits. She ambles towards the back of the line, crossing her arms as she waits. Her eyebrows knit together though when she hears a booming voice, making her glance over to the small corner of tables towards the back.

Amy and Beca sit there, flinging gummy bears back and forth as they laugh. Chloe tries to keep her mouth from dropping as she blushes, turning away from the girl. How Beca always seems to show up in her life randomly is a mystery. It was like the universe was trying to make her unprepared with the girl at all costs.

She glances back again, taking in the girl's appearance. Beca looks relaxed tonight, her dark hair up in a messy bun and her makeup light. She wears the leather jacket that Chloe loves, making the redhead bite her lip gently. The smile on her face just as brilliant as it was up close.

She feels the jealousy wash over her though. It always made her feel dejected when she saw Beca with her friends like this, simply just happy and real. Chloe wishes she could experience that first hand all around. She's had glimpses of it, even more and more so lately, but the girl always retaliates quickly back into her fortified ego eventually. It was rather frustrating.

She watches the girl for a short moment, shaking herself out of her daze as she's called up next. She turns towards the counter, eyes widening again when she's face to face with Stacie Conrad. The girl looks up in her uniform, a grin growing on her face when she sees Chloe.

Thanks universe.

"Um hi." Chloe smiles softly, feeling suddenly nervous for some reason. This was Beca's best friend, no biggie right?

The tall girl leans over with a smirk, arms against the glass as she ogles down the redhead. "Hey lover girl."

Chloe's mouth opens sluggishly as her face flushes, shocked by the girl's statement. "What?"

Stacie rolls her eyes, stepping back with a grin. "I only have ice-cream here, the dessert you want is over there."

Chloe watches as she points back to Beca, making Chloe blush even harder. She can feel her heart pounding hard inside of her chest, making her take a moment to think. Stacie winks at her, making Chloe stare back in disbelief.

"I'll be right back." She gulps, turning on her feet and starting to walk away. She can hear Stacie behind her laughing as she glares down the small brunette in front of her. Beca has her back to her, oblivious as she continues to catch candy in her mouth. The blonde's eyes next to her go wide as she notices Chloe's presence though.

Chloe frowns at Beca, crossing her arms as she stands behind her, waiting.

"Um, pissed off ginger. Six o' clock." Amy swallows, making Beca's laughter die down.
Beca turns around in her chair, eyebrows instantly rising as she takes in Chloe. Their eyes meet, making the redhead try her hardest to intimidate the girl. "Hey Chlo? What er…are you doing here?"

Chloe takes a deep breath, uncrossing her arms. Her eyes glance to Amy's quickly, keeping her voice hush as she returns her attention back to Beca. "I was tryingto buy some ice-cream for my friend, and apparentlyyou've been talking to Stacie about some private stuff." Chloe tells her in a low yet insistent manor, making the girl sigh as Amy processes the interaction.

"Sassy." Amy nods, looking between them. "I think I understand now."

Beca turns gradually with warning in her eyes, she glares at Amy before kicking her leg under the table. The Australian girl grimaces, guilt washing over her features instantly. Chloe's jaw drops again, her blush returning as she gapes down at Beca. "You told her too?"

Beca slouches, a groan passing over her lips as she shakes her head. She then stands up, making Chloe step back. She then points to Amy, "You're dead."

"Not worried, I think the ginger will kill you first."

Chloe just frowns, beginning to shake her head. This was just great.

She turns around then, shaking her head as she steps away. She feels her anger start to fade into humiliation, wishing she could just hide under a rock now.

"Chloe, wait." She can hear the brunette follow her. She ignores her and stands back in line, still trying to process that people knew about her sexual antics with the other girl. Beca steps up beside her, placing a hand on Chloe's arm. She just stands there though for a moment, ineptly trying to think of something to say.

"Look, it's not that big of a deal..." She attempts, grimacing at her own words after they've left her mouth.

"Yeah, okay." Chloe shrugs passive aggressively, not meeting the girl's eyes. Beca sighs, contemplating her next words.

"They're not gonna tell anyone, if that's what you're worried about." Beca reassures her, stepping closer. Chloe tries to restrain from meeting the girl's eyes, wanting to see if the girl truly meant her sincerity. She can see Stacie's eyes on them as she works behind the counter, making her own blush return.

"Let me get the ice-cream and then we can talk, okay?" Chloe whispers, starting to regret her attitude. She doesn't want to be that kind of girl, not happy with how she's already embarrassed herself in front of Beca's friends.

"Okay." The brunette nods, stepping back and letting her hand drop. Chloe steps back up to the counter, approaching Stacie once again.

"I'd like a scoop of bubblegum with sprinkles in a cone." She tells Stacie. The tall girl nods with guilt in her eyes, sharing a quick glance with Beca. The shorter girl lingers back as Chloe pays for her cone, her head motioning towards the door for Beca to follow her.

They both step out, the humid air hitting them quickly. Chloe carefully takes the cone to her car, only frowning when she sees Emily asleep in the front seat. The girl's head rests against the window, her mouth hanging open the slightest. Beca loiters behind with her hands in her pockets, eyebrows scrunching together when she notices the drunken girl too. Chloe sighs letting her shoulders drop, not that surprised.

"She really wanted ice cream." Chloe pouts, slowly turning back towards Beca.

"Why is Junk passed out in your car?" Beca wonders, leaning up against the vehicle and observing the freshman through the front window.

"You know Emily?" Chloe questions then, staggered by the familiarity.

"Oh yeah," The brunette nods with a shrug, "They're making me retake a home ec' class because I failed it freshman year. She's the only tolerable person there."

Chloe smiles softly at that, thinking of how the younger girl could make anyone like her. Beca returns her eyes to Chloe, staring down at the ice cream in Chloe's hands.

Chloe's eyes follow, her mouth forming awkwardly as she remembers it. "I guess I better eat this. I mean, I did pay for it…"

Beca chuckles and shakes her head. "Looks very colorful."

Chloe smiles again, bringing up the cone and tasting it quickly. She then nods quickly, trying not to laugh. "Tastes colorful too."

Beca grins back, watching the girl wipe at her lips with the back of her hand. She then glances back to Emily, a question on her lips. "So, why's giraffe legs so wasted?"

Chloe gives her a look, stepping towards the girl and leaning up against the car too. "We were at a party."

"Whose party?"

"Tom's." Chloe tells her, noticing the way the girl's grin falters.

"Why were you at Tom's party?" Beca questions as her eyebrows scrunch together again.

"He invited the girls. I wanted to make sure they were okay." Chloe shrugs indolently, easily noticing the shift in the girl's tone.

Beca hums, staring down at the ground before tentatively asking, "Did you guys talk?"

Chloe wavers her free hand, "I mean, not really. It was pretty awkward. He gave me a drink, that was about it."

"Oh. Okay." Beca brings her gaze back up, meeting the girl's eyes. She then awkwardly motions with her hand, pointing at the cone. "Can I have a taste of that?"

"Really?" Chloe's lips curve, noticing that the girl wants to change the subject. "Didn't figure you for a bubblegum kind of gal."

The shorter girl rolls her eyes, "I just wanted to know if it was good or not."

Chloe hands out the cone then, smirking. Beca places her hand on the girl's and leans forward, taking a small bite from the scoop. Chloe watches with amusement, shaking her head with a chuckle as Beca grimaces herself. The brunette then drops her head, "Yeah, that's a no."

Chloe laughs, not being able to stop herself. "Don't like it sweet?"

"Not in this case." Beca smirks back, wiping her mouth.

The redhead smiles, her conscious coming back to ruin the moment though. There's a short pause as she tries to frown, but can't. Beca just can't keep her angry anymore. "I'm supposed to be mad at you, you know?"

The brunette nods in agreement, guilt playing over her eyes. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that."

Chloe blinks a few times, not expecting the apology so up front. "Why did you tell them? I mean, I thought we were gonna keep this a secret Becs."

Beca shrugs, nodding her head again. "I know, it's just…I thought they would keep their mouths shut around you and they're my friends. I'm not really interested in keeping this a secret anymore, to be honest. So, I thought telling them would be okay."

Chloe processes the information, seeing the guilt in the girl's eyes. She thinks about each night she's wanted to tell someone about Beca, and how maybe it'd help her get over the toil she bears for falling in love with the girl. "Okay."

"Okay?" Beca raises her brows, genuinely shocked.

"I get it." Chloe admits, staring down then. "I wish I had someone to talk about this with."

There's a short moment of silence, making her hesitant to meet the girl's eyes again. Her mouth contorts as it does when she gets nervous, not ready to hear what the girl thinks of her confession.

"I won't tell anyone else, I promise." Beca steps forward, making Chloe sigh in relief. She then looks up, seeing how close the other girl is now. Beca pauses though, looking anxious again. "I think you should know though, that they're not the only ones."

Chloe's jaw drops, her voice already shaky. "Morepeople know?"

Beca bites her lip, "Jesse and Cynthia Rose. That's it."

"That's just…awesome." Chloe cynically breathes out, her skin on fire as she looks away from the girl with a disapproval shake to her head.

"Hey, it's okay. Like I said, they won't tell anyone." Beca quickly tries to reassure her again.

"I'm so embarrassed." Chloe turns though, pacing as she brings up a hand to her forehead.

"Why are you embarrassed?" Beca questions cursorily, obvious offence in her tone.

Chloe turns back, her face worried. "They probably think I'm sort of slut or something."

Beca sighs deeply, her insulted expression fading away. "They don't think you're a slut Chloe."

"Why wouldn't they?" Chloe wonders with panic in her tone, running a hand through her hair. "I would-"

"Because they're my friends. They care about the things I care about." Beca spits back, making Chloe stop her pacing. She gazes at the brunette, seeing the girl standing there nervously now; a little fire still in her eyes though. "They wouldn't think you're a slut, because you're with me."

Chloe's heart beats faster then, her face flushing for a completely different reason. Did Beca just say what she thinks she said?

"I am?" She hesitantly tests, too shocked to ask anything else. Beca's demeanor shifts a bit, her shoulders shrugging as she slides her hands back into her pockets. Her tongue rolls over lips, a real response seeming as if it weren't going to come right now. "You're ice cream is melting."

Chloe's eyebrows scrunch together as she looks down, pink liquid dripping over her hand. She sighs and trades the cone into her other hand, shaking off the mess from her fingers. She then awkwardly walks past Beca, heading for the garbage can by the door. She throws away the cone, bringing up her hand and licking off the remaining liquid. She turns and sees Beca still standing by her car, observing her from afar with soft eyes.

What did Beca's statement really mean though?

Chloe returns to her, already heading to her side of the car. Beca watches her with knitted brows, frowning as Chloe opens up the front door.

"Where are you going?"

"I gotta take Emily home." Chloe glances back, feeling the sudden urge to distance herself from Beca Mitchell.

"Okay?" Beca states with a bit of bother in her tone, her confusion clear in her expression. Chloe gulps and gets into her car, seeing the girl hesitate outside of it. She closes her door, sitting in the silent space for a moment. She looks over to Emily, seeing the girl still sound asleep. Her eyes catch Beca's though through the window behind the freshman, seeing the slight nerve there.

Beca walks around the car though instead of away, making Chloe awkwardly roll down her own window. Beca leans in, her arms resting on the girl's door. Her face is close and Chloe can see that the girl actually looks a bit hurt. "Am I going to see you tomorrow?"

Chloe stares at her for a moment, confused by the girl's question. Then it hits her. "Oh, yeah…I'll be there."

Beca nods, looking relieved as her eyes soften. "Good."

Chloe's surprised when Beca leans in further then, the girl's lips meeting hers before she can even process it. The redhead's eyes shutter to a close, taking in the motion. Chloe doesn't understand the girl's words spoken tonight, that's why she needs to get away. So she can process it within reason and not hold out for useless hope again. She didn't want to break her own heart because she couldn't reason with reality properly. Beca's lips against hers though, always make her forget the objectives she needs to follow.

Chloe reaches up and places her hand on the girl's neck, getting lost in the kiss. It makes her want to step out of her car, and stay with the brunette longer.

Beca drifts back though, making Chloe see a slight, beautiful smile on the girl's lips when she opens her eyes. "Drive safely, bubblegum lips." Beca whispers, keeping their eyes locked for a moment.

Chloe blushes, a soft beam covering her face as she watches the girl she loves stand back, and slowly walk back to the building. Chloe watches in awe, listening to her heart beat profusely in side her chest. She has no idea how Beca can swing her mood in a matter of seconds, so effortlessly.
___

A wedding was supposed to be a celebration of love and commitment, a day of happiness and enjoyment. Aubrey's cousin's wedding though, feels like the exact opposite to Chloe; and it hasn't even officially begun yet. The amount of stress on the family's shoulders seems to be so strong that Chloe can feel it too. She can't understand why the hell every problem is taken so down to every diminutive detail, making each solution even more of a mess when taken into action. The bride is currently a mess, crying her eyes out in her dressing room. Apparently Aubrey's the priest she feels the need to confess to, sharing every lie she's ever told the groom; as if she doesn't have any other choice.

Chloe stands in the back awkwardly, trying not to let the anxiety in the atmosphere mush into her own. This is what she's here for though, to support Aubrey as she is lassoed into the family drama. This isn't the first time Chloe has done this for her friend; she's always been very willing to ease some of the blonde's stress in times of family upheaval. She just forgot each time how exhausting it really was.

She tries to keep her mind on the grand reception that would be held after the ceremony, knowing that had to be a lot more relaxed than this moment. Hopefully there would be some good alcohol and cake too.

Aubrey looks back at her with alarm in her eyes every few moments, making Chloe sense that the girl was ready to snap into her commanding mood soon. The bride's intermediate family is fairly small, leaving the relatives to pick up the pieces. Chloe is ready to leave though if this gets any worse, already feeling the unnecessary anxiety creep into her chest. It's not like this is her family, but she can't help but feel it. She doesn't like seeing this kind of stress in other people.

Aubrey sees her fright though, quickly motioning for the girl to leave. Chloe sighs in relief, walking out of the large dressing room and fanning herself down with her hands. Her heels click against the checkered marble floor of the country club, passing by relatives as she tries to find a familiar face.

The club is beyond beautiful and classy, making her feel out of place in her blue lace H&M dress. Her family has money, but not this kind of money. So she tries to make it a positive that she was welcomed here for the day. The chandlers are striking above her as she walks down the stairs, searching for someone she recognizes below in the large lobby. She steps slowly, taking a deep breath as her eyes meet Beca's father's.

She sighs in relief, walking towards the man who hangs back near the door to the ceremony hall. He smiles when she approaches him, Chloe impressed by his tailored tux.

"Hi Mr. Mitchell." She grins, crossing her arms awkwardly.

"Hello Chloe. You look lovely." He tells her sweetly, "Where've you been?"

"Thank you." The redhead smiles, "I was just with Aubrey. She somehow got tangled into the drama."

Mr. Mitchell hums, as if her weren't surprised, "Well, bless her soul."

Chloe chuckles, nodding in agreement. "Hopefully things calm down after the ceremony."

"Knowing this family…it's very unlikely, but optimism never hurt no one." He winks making her laugh softly. "Have you seen my other daughter yet? I haven't been able to find her."

"No." Chloe bites her lip, heart beating faster by the mention of her. "Haven't seen her yet."

"Hmmm." He nods, worry in his brows. "She better show up…she promised."

"I like to think that Beca keeps her promises, I wouldn't worry." She tries to reassure him, making him smile hopefully.

"How about you and I go sit down then? The ceremony should be starting soon, don't you think?" He suggests, making her nod.

"We can only hope." She smiles back, following him through the doors. They walk into the grand room, her shock evident as she takes in the many rows of people and the high-carved walls. They both sit down in their assigned section, relieved to see that the groom and his groomsmen were walking into the room. She just hopes they were able to get the bride under control by now. She sits awkwardly next to Mr. Mitchell, not having much more energy to keep up a conversation. She's known the man for a long while, even before she met Beca. They had a mutual relationship, so she's never been uncomfortable with the man. Now that her relationship with his daughter has altered though, she feels guilty under his eyes.

Aubrey's mother shows up later, sitting in between them. She goes on about the drama she was helping to dispute, making Chloe wonder if people actually had enough vitality for this kind of lifestyle. She just hopes Aubrey is still alive after all of this.

Aubrey does return back to them, giving Chloe a look that can't say much more. She gives her best friend a sympathetic look as she sits down between the redhead and her mother. She doesn't say a word, but just leans forward with her elbows on her knees, her hands holding up her head. Chloe rubs her palm against the girl's back, trying to relax her. Aubrey is a trooper, that's what she always admired most about her. She's glad though, that the girl can have a break now.

The ceremony starts and Chloe can see the disappointment in Mr. Mitchell's eyes, knowing he's wondering where his daughter is. She looks around again herself, also disappointed the brunette isn't here yet. She knows the girl would make her feel more excited about being here. She smiles at the blonde though when she sits up, seeing that Aubrey looked more relaxed now that she had taken a moment for herself.

Tasteful music begins to chime through the hall, and bridesmaids start to walk down the aisle. Their dresses more pampered than anything Chloe's seen before. She admires it all, trying to find the beauty again in the situation.

She turns her head when she feels a body sit down on her other side, looking over and seeing an out of breath Beca there. Her mouth drops, seeing the girl's attire. The dark tux fits the girl incredibly, her hair curled beautifully and contrasting against her shoulders. Her lips are pink and full, her makeup perfectly balanced. Chloe can't ever say she's seen Beca this made up before.

Beca smiles back at Chloe, before awkwardly meeting her father's eyes with an apologetic grimace.

"Sorry." She mouths down at him, making him sigh before turning his attention back to the ceremony. Her eyes meet Chloe's again though, and soften. They gaze at each other for a short moment, a secret passing through them in the midst of their biggest threat.

Beca glances at Aubrey quickly, seeing the girl lost in awe with the flower girls skipping down the aisle. The brunette then leans in, her lips barely touching Chloe's ear.

"You look very beautiful." She whispers, her intimacy lingering for a moment. Chloe lets the grin on her face show, feeling her heart race. She looks back to Beca when the girl leans away again, a genuine grin on her lips.

Chloe doesn't know what shifted, but it did. She saw it last night in the parking lot of the Baskin Robbins. She even saw it the night they got intimate on the mountain after the football game. Beca is changing. It just can't be her hopeful crush that's altering the reality to what she wants to see anymore, but the real Beca Mitchell. Maybe she's finally ready to let Chloe back in.

They return their attention back to the ceremony, Chloe not being able to control the excessive pounding inside of her chest. Maybe this wedding wouldn't be so bad, she thought.
___

Aubrey's night turns for the best as a friend of the groom asks her to dance during the reception. Chloe can see the girl finally smile genuinely as she twirls on the dance floor, letting go a bit. Sure, there is a small disorder here and there, that's just inevitable. The party seems to ease on though, making Chloe sit back and enjoy it as much as possible.

She sits back in her chair, finger tracing the edge of her glass as she watches the people interact all around her. There are so many different kinds of faces, so many personalities to watch. She glances back towards the bar though, seeing Beca lean up against it. Her strongest smirk is in play, her charisma overtaking the conversation she's having. The man behind it smiles, nodding along to whatever she's saying. Chloe chuckles and shakes her head as she watches him start to make a couple of drinks for her. The brunette looks back, her eyes meeting Chloe's for second as she winks. She then turns back, thanking the man as he hands her two glasses.

She turns then, walking back towards their table. Beca sits down beside her again, handing her one of the glasses. "Here you go."

"You actually did it." Chloe grins, "I'm impressed."

Beca sits back in her chair beside Chloe, eyebrows knitting together with an offended sneer. "You doubted me?"

Chloe laughs, taking a short swallow of the drink before speaking. "For a moment, yes."

Beca scoffs, shaking her head as she continues to grin. "Damn girl, good to know that your faith in me is faltering."

"I have faith in you." Chloe argues, "I just didn't think the bartender would be so gullible."

Beca laughs then, running her tongue over her bottom lip after. She then takes a sip from her drink, setting it down on the table afterwards. She keeps her eyes on Chloe, looking the girl up and down once again. "Have I mentioned yet, that you're breathtaking?"

Chloe blushes, looking away in hopes of hiding it. She sets down her own drink, placing her hands in her lap. Her eyes returning to the brunette quickly, "Maybe once or twice."

"Good." Beca nods, strength in her gaze. Her tone is solid, but honest. "Because you deserve to know."

Chloe bites her bottom lip, trying to keep from grinning too big. Her eyes soften as she leans in a little closer, "You look beautiful too Beca."

The girl just softly smiles, a small nod in her reply. Chloe can't ever recall the girl being this open and sweet, making her wonder if it's the atmosphere of the wedding that's spurring it on.

"I have to ask," Chloe continues, reaching up a hand and touching the curls on Beca's shoulders; not caring if someone sees the action. "Who made you up like this?"

"That would be Stacie." Beca tells her, eyes following Chloe's fingers. "She's kind of great with that stuff."

"I can see that." Chloe smiles before slowly dropping her hand.

"I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but she practically begged to do it." Beca shrugs dismissively. "Thought I'd throw the girl a bone."

Chloe rolls her eyes, a chuckle rolling over her lips. "Stacie sounds like a good friend for you."

"She is." Beca hums, smiling as she contemplates the friendship. "She's really great at putting up with my shit."

Chloe nods, wishing she could meet the girl's friends properly. She wants them to see her differently than they probably did now; she wants to get to know them and know why they made Beca happy. Maybe she's also curious to see how the girl is with them up close, she likes seeing Beca in that nature.

Chloe takes another sip of her drink, looking towards the dance floor. She sees Aubrey once again, looking lost in the music and boy she's dancing with. It gives her an idea.

Chloe returns her eyes to Beca, seeing the girl still staring at her. "Do you want to dance?"

The brunette's eyebrows rise quickly, caught off guard. "Dance?"

"Yeah." Chloe smiles, putting down her glass again as she sits up. She leans forward and puts a hand on the girl's knee. "C'mon. Dance with me Becs."

Beca hesitantly thinks, her eyes searching the people around her for a mid second. Chloe squeezes her hand softly around the girl's knee, trying to convince the girl even further.

"I don't know…I mean, I don't really dance." Beca staggers, shaking her head softly. Chloe frowns, not accepting the answer. "I've already pissed off half of the people here anyways by just wearing this tux, I don't think it would be a good idea for us to be in the midst of that republican disaster."

"When have you ever cared about stuff like that Becs?" Chloe questions, catching onto the laze in the girl's excuse.

Beca rolls her eyes, leaning forward, and placing her elbows on her knees. "What about Aubrey? Huh? Thought she was at the top of your list to keep unsuspicious."

Chloe shrugs, "Maybe I'm not interested in keeping this a secret anymore."

The shorter girl smiles softly at that, taking in the words that she herself had said the night before. She looks down at the hand on her knee, reaching out and tracing a fingertip over the skin.

"Just one dance?" Chloe eggs on, bringing up an innocent smile on her lips. Beca looks up, meeting the girl's eyes once again; seeming unusually shy on her side.

"Somebody mention dancing?"

Chloe's eyebrows scrunch together when she hears the new voice, she sees Beca look behind her with a forming frown. Chloe turns, seeing a blonde man standing there. "Um…"

"I'm looking for a partner myself, would you like to join me?" He asks with a short smirk, reaching out his hand to Chloe. She looks down at it, a bit jumbled. She's never met this man.

"Yeah, no. She's – "

"Okay." Chloe stands up, interrupting Beca and letting the girl's hand fall from her own. She looks back to the brunette quickly, seeing the confusion there. She simply just shrugs, "I want to dance."

Beca leans back, her eyes sulking. Chloe turns to the man again though, taking his hand. "Let's go."

She knows that what she's doing is cruel, but if it's a chance to get the girl to stand up. Then why not take it.
___

Beca throws back her glass quickly, taking every last drop from it. She blinks and breathes deeply through her noise as the burn runs though her throat. Her eyes are a bit watery, but it passes over in a matter of seconds. She looks back to the bartender, sliding the glass to him.

"I would like another, please."

"Maybe you should take a break?"

"What?" Beca scoffs, looking down at the glass. "This is the only round I've had tonight. I'm fine."

"Well, considering we both know you're underage…" He clicks his tongue making Beca roll her eyes with defeat.

"Was I that bad of a liar?" She wonders as she leans up against the bar, putting her hand underneath her jaw.

"No, probably one of the best I've seen." He admits, an impressed smirk on his lips. "I'm just one of the best on this side, I can detect a teenager in a snap."

Beca raises an eyebrow at the man, "Yeah, I don't think I would tell people that, buddy. Might get some investigations on your record."

The man chuckles, shaking his head as he looks out to the crowd. "Why aren't you out there?"

Beca sighs, following his gaze. Her eyes find the fiery locks in the crowd easily, feeling an uncomfortable churn in her stomach when she sees the girl smiling widely. Her step-cousin Toby guiding the girl through another song, enjoying it more than he should. Beca has never liked that guy, or his gelled hair and hundred dollar ties. The guy is a class A dick, anyone could see that.

Yet there he is, dancing with the purest girl of them all. Making her laugh, and giving her a good time.

It makes Beca feel sick.

"Can I just have one more?" Beca turns back, another sigh on her lips.

"Sorry, no can do." He smiles sympathetically, making her groan. She nods though in acceptance, sitting down at the stool beside her. She tries to restrain from looking back towards the dance floor, but can't help it. He's twirling her now, making her angelic laugh leave her lips. Beca wants to kick that stupid smirk off his chiseled face. The Posen's were made up of either rich dicks or bat shit crazies, but they all look like they belong in a Vogue photo-shoot too. It wasn't fair.

"Why don't you just ask her?"

Beca looks back to the bartender, eyebrows scrunching together. He looks at her as if it's the most obvious thing. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He chuckles again, finding the broody girl amusing. "You've been watching that girl for the past half hour. I think you know what I'm talking about."

Beca groans again, hating this guy already. She's way too sober for this kind of accusation. "I can't just ask her..."

"Why not?"

Beca glances back, seeing Aubrey near the other side of the floor. She stands near the boy she was dancing with earlier, drinking something from a glass as she giggles along to whatever he's saying. "You see that tall, blonde?" Beca points out, seeing the bartender nod. "Well, she's my stepsister. The redhead is her best friend. This means, the blonde kills me in my sleep if she sees us. Second…" Beca then pauses, pointing down to her feet. "Do you see these feet? They would be all over Chloe's precious toes. I'm a terrible dancer when it comes to partner action. When I'm on stage, sure-I can rock it, but here? Yeah, no. I'd embarrass myself quicker than a dad joke at a tween's slumber party."

The bartender nods with a pushing sneer, "Alright, alright. I get it…but then, this might be your only chance?" He leans forward, arms on the bar. "The blonde Ken doll and your girl could really hit off, maybe he asks her out on a date. Maybe she says yes? Then what?"

Beca's eyebrows knit together, leaning forward and listening to the man's words intently.

"A kiss under the stars? A certain, forgotten, tiny, young, woman with heavy eyeliner? A marriage proposal and three little blonde pissants running around, while daddy is with his mistress and mommy drinks her nights away? And you're out in the world, wondering why you just couldn't ask her to dance this one night?" He then leans back, nodding like he knows. A tiny amount of haughtiness in his motions.

Beca gawks at the man, her jaw dropped slightly. She's never felt so drained listening to anyone talk. "What. The. Fuck."

He simply just shrugs, "I watch a lot of Lifetime."

Beca hesitates, nodding again as she processes his foretelling. "Yeah, I can see that." She pauses though, squaring him down. "Aren't you guys supposed to make people feel better and not like shit?"

He smirks, moving on quickly though. "Hey, even if there was the smallest chance of anything I just said happening…You know, even just point-zero-one percent of it actually happening…wouldn't you take action?"

Beca stares at him, wondering how she got into a conversation like this with a crazy bartender who spends his time watching old lady television. He couldn't be right though, Chloe would never chance herself with a guy like Toby. He was just another Tom, even worse than Tom.

"She can do anything she want's with her life, I don't care." Beca tries bitterly, her voice faltering a bit. "If she want's to marry that dick, who cares?"

The bartender hums, playing along for the sake of the girl's pride.

"I mean, it's not like we're together." Beca continues, turning her body to the man. A weak argument on her lips. "We just fuck every now and then, that's it. It's not like she's…" She pauses, irritation coursing through her brows as she tries to think of the right thing to say. "It's not like she's…"

"She's what?"

Beca glares up at him, hesitation in her actions before she looks down. Whispering underneath her breath, her fire dying down a bit. "Fuck."

The bartender grins again, "See? I'm never wrong."

Beca continues to stare down at the wooden bar beneath her hands, seeing each carve and sleek over it. She feels more desolate now than anything, just thinking of what this could mean.

"That's the thing though?" She mumbles, tiredly. "I'm not much better than that guy…maybe even worse…"

The weight of the guilt has been on her shoulders for far too long now, and she wants to be ready to move on. Every time she felt like she could bring it up, and try to ease it away with talking about it; her mouth would say things and Chloe would just end up being hurt again. She has no idea how to even make it right, or if the girl would ever forgive her. Beca knows she never deserved any of it. It was her own fucked up shit that made things worse, inflaming the anger for nothing; and for the last person it should've ever been directed at.

She looks back to Chloe, hearing that the song's pace had slowed down. He has his hands on her waist, her arms around his neck, and she's talking to him. Chloe likes to talk, that doesn't surprise Beca. It's the smiles on their faces that makes her fury rise a little more.

"Give me one shot of confidence." Beca turns back to the man, determined. He looks at her with raised eyebrows, understanding what she's saying.

"Fine." He pulls out a shot glass, pouring it up quickly. Beca thanks him before taking the small glass to her lips, drowning it back and slamming it to the bar as winks the sting off. She can feel the short moment of haze, making her eyes shut tightly as she lets it fade. She takes a deep breath, thinking about what she needs to do. I can't fuck good things up anymore.

She then turns, pushing herself away from the bar and beginning to walk away. She sets her eyes on Chloe, convincing herself that she's doing this for the redhead. She moves past her step-relatives, ignoring the ogles and feeling an odd nimbleness in her stomach rise. This wasn't that big of a deal. She's just going to dance with Chloe, that's all. Make the girl realize she needs to stop playing in dangerous waters with fuck boys.

She can see Aubrey off to the sideline, still distracted. That fact and the liquor in her system make it easier to not care about the blonde in the moment. If the girl finds out, then she'll just have to buy a sturdy lock for her door. There were ways to escape the death Aubrey would rein upon her.

Toby gives her a look when she approaches; making Chloe turn her head back to glance at Beca. The brunette avoids looking down at the firm grasp on Chloe's hips, trying to avoid any angry outburst. She couldn't be that kind of Beca anymore, not if she were going to do things right from now on. Chloe's lips turn up the slightest though, making it easier for Beca to speak.

"I think it's my turn dude."

Toby looks to Chloe, as if asking her to protest. Chloe grins brightly, hitting Beca hard with her beauty. She then turns back to Beca's step-cousin, "Thanks for dancing with me for a bit."

Beca rolls her eyes as he drops his arms, accepting it with a scowl. "Yeah, of course."

The brunette watches him walk away smugly, feeling a jolt of pride swell inside of her. She turns her attention back to the redhead though, seeing the girl stand there waiting. Chloe pushes a stray hair behind her ear shyly, looking on the verge of saying something but then stopping herself. Beca steps closer though, trying to cover her nerves with her trademark smirk.

Chloe's arms instantly go around Beca's neck, engulfing her in a familiar position. Beca places her own hands on the girl's hips, feeling a sense of fluency. The fabric on her palms feels soft, her thumbs rubbing over it delicately. She pulls Chloe a little closer when she see's the nerves in the redhead's eyes. Beca glances down at her own feet, trying to keep a distance from the other girl's toes.

"So…" Chloe smiles, making Beca stare down at the girl's lips. Their faces are so close, and Beca is more than ready to kiss her for the first time today.

"So?" Beca tries, still trying to catch her breath.

"I thought you didn't dance." Chloe challenges with a charmed glint in her eyes.

"Well, I do when fapping Toby has his dirty hands on you."

Chloe's amused and stunned face is cute, Beca decides. It makes her chuckle as well, as if she had something to be proud of. "Beca, that's so mean…and kind of gross."

The brunette grins, watching the way the girl's eyes sparkle in front of her. "I'm just stating facts Chlo."

The redhead shakes her head humorously, "Well, I'm glad you saved me from such dirty hands."

Beca smiles at the girl's sarcastic agreement, feeling a weak tug at her statement though; sobering her up.

"Really?" Beca wonders genuinely, "You weren't…uh having fun with him?"

Chloe shrugs softly, "I mean, it was fun to dance…but if I'm being honest, I was wishing it was you the entire time."

Beca just stares at Chloe as they continue to sway to the soft music, taking in the confession. Chloe is starting to say things like this a lot more lately, and so was she if she's being honest. Beca's lips seem to unlock at times she isn't expecting them to, telling Chloe everything Beca actually is thinking for once. There's a change between them, Beca see's this clearly now. She expected this from the start though. She knew the moment her and Chloe settled on an agreement, that a day would come where Beca fell back into her feelings she had been trying to destroy for years.

She's just getting drained of trying so hard lately, that it was making her question, what's the point?

"Well if I'm being honest…" Beca takes a deep breath, keeping her eyes locked on the bright sky in front her. "I was wishing it was me too."

Chloe stares back silently, the color in her cheeks fading to a rosy hint. Beca loves making the girl blush, it makes her feel like her words actually mean something sometimes. That she found the right words to make the small beat under Chloe's chest quicken its pace, it's a pure kind of power she hasn't ever felt with anyone else.

"So…you were jealous?" Chloe then smiles, bringing on her playful teasing; making her own cheeks turn color too.

She thinks for a moment, wondering how to deny it. She thinks there's no point in it though, "Yeah. I was."

Chloe's smile softens as she bites her lower lip, making Beca desperately want to kiss her already. So she continues talking, hoping it'll ease her urge. "I didn't like seeing you with him. It made me feel like I've failed again."

"Again?"

Beca shakes her head, wanting to avoid the subject. "I just...I don't want you to leave me behind again for some other dick."

Chloe squares Beca down a bit, her eyes searching for the answers the brunette isn't giving her. She shakes it off though, making Beca grateful. She doesn't want this moment to end so soon.

"I don't think you have to worry about that one Becs." She replies shortly, her voice softer than before. Beca can't tell if it's out of nerves or just genuine, either way, it makes Beca feel like there's no going back. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing either.

"Cool." The brunette nods, trying to keep her tone leveled.

Chloe simply just smiles, as if she were expecting this kind of answer. Beca knows she can see past it, making the lightness in her stomach grow. She knows Chloe is catching on lately, or even just trying to pull this kind of feeling out of Beca. She doesn't exactly know where the redhead stands with knowledge of Beca's feelings, but the brunette's starting to hope she could figure it on her own.

"There's this closed house on Stacie's street." Beca moves on, a small rise in her chest forming.

"Okay?" Chloe smiles with a confused little tilt to her head.

"Well, this house has an empty pool." Beca continues, watching every little quirk to Chloe's attentive expression. "And sometimes we go there and bring lawn chairs and beer…It's kind of stupid. Anyways, everyone wants to go tomorrow around eight."

Beca pauses, waiting for the girl to say something. Chloe stares at her, eyebrows knitting together.

"That sounds fun…" Chloe hesitates, amusedly confused still.

Beca shakes her head, cursing herself out for her sudden awkwardness. "Sorry, um…do you want to come with me?"

Chloe just stares at her for a moment, stunned by the invitation. Beca starts to internally panic a bit, wondering if she's going to say no. She doesn't even know why she asked in the first place, she just wants Chloe to be there.

"I'd love to." Chloe then grins, making Beca sigh in relief. She nods gawkily back, seeing the excitement in the girl's eyes.

"Are you sure? Because, like it's pretty cheap beer and Jesse has a tendency of getting naked after a few-"

"Beca." Chloe stops her.

"Yeah?"

"I want to come."

"Cool." She lets her lips curve up into half a grin, loving the way Chloe continues to beam back at her. Beca wants to leave the party now, so that she can be alone with the girl. She wants nothing more than to kiss her, and it's almost painful. She knows if she does that here though, someone will talk to her father, Aubrey will overhear, and then the drama will start up again. Beca likes this peaceful stage they've stepped into, she doesn't want it to leave just yet.

The song changes and Chloe looks up, as if the music is in the air itself. Her expression lights up, eyes challenging Beca. She goes on about how she loves this song, making Beca half-heartedly stubborn as she dances along, secretly loving the way Chloe ignites the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

377K 10K 51
Everyone know Beca Mitchell looks like she keeps a lot of secrets. Will those secrets come to light? She meets Chloe and gets paired with her in mat...
64.3K 1.3K 22
DISCONTINUED Beca is one of the most popular people at barden high she is the quarterback of the schools team while Chloe Beale is the cheer captain...
133K 3.4K 48
Set in an alternative universe, Beca Mitchell, a seventeen-year-old girl with a strong group of friends is beginning her final year of high school. H...
13.6K 908 39
This story isn't mine, I got the fantastic idea from a wonderful account on Instagram @/bechloecup. Beca Mitchell works as a private investigato...