The Secret Service: The Vault

By CaptainThunderWho

The Secret Service was a 1960s British children's TV series created by Gerry Anderson and the team of Century... More

1. My own overview
2. Before The Secret Service
EPISODE 1 - A Case For The BISHOP
3. Genesis
4. The life and work of Stanley Unwin
EPISODE 2 - A Question Of Miracles
5. The World of The Secret Service
6. A Gallery of Writers
EPISODE 3 - The Feathered Spies
7. A Director's Perspective
8. The Voice Artists
EPISODE 4 - To Catch A Spy
9. Pre-production
10. The puppets
EPISODE 5 - Last Train To Bufflers Halt
11. Production
12. Post-production
EPISODE 6 - Errand Of Mercy
13. Music scores
14. The Mike Sammes Singers
EPISODE 7 - The Deadly Whisper
15. Opening/closing titles
EPISODE 8 - Hole In One
17. The Other 13 episodes?
18. The puppet legacy
EPISODE 9 - Recall To Service
19. Doppleganger (1969)
20. Cancellation
EPISODE 10 - The Cure
21. The Mixed Receptions
22. Episode order
EPISODE 11 - School For Spies
23. Broadcasts and transmissions
24. Memorabilia
EPISODE 12 - May-Day, May-Day!
25. The Novelisations
26. Was it a flop?
EPISODE 13 - More Haste, Less Speed
27. 50 years on...
28. BIBLOGRAHY - acknowledgements

16. Live actors, in SUPERMARIONATION?

34 0 0
By CaptainThunderWho

That is a good question, why would live actors be required for SUPERMARIONATION? Other than close up shots of hands that had been frequently used in the past, The Secret Service saw great use of live actors in shots. The team had first been experimenting with live-action shots in Thunderbird 6 (1968), featuring shots with the Tiger Moth, or rather Thunderbird 6 itself. Examples included towards the end of the film where the plane uncontrollably flies along the M104 Motorway before crashing into a tree. These shots actually featured shots along the newly constructed M40, some shots could be filmed in the puppet studios though. Live-action shots were once again used in Joe 90's The Unorthodox Shepard when the team went on filming location at the church. With the team proving live-action shooting to be popular, it was therefore decided to use this technique for the next show.

Very often the puppet team would go out and film shots with the real actors, either actor dressed in the character's clothing, Stanley Unwin appeared in his own shots. Many other live-action shots were the cars themselves, particularly Gabriel who would appear in the UFO episodes Identified and A Question Of Priorities. With this becoming more and more popular of filming on location, it obviously meant less shooting for puppets. The only time we really only saw puppets being used was for longer range shots and interior locations. Anyway, the puppet shows were simply becoming more and more expensive to make with the endless reuse of puppets that was available. The Secret Service is now regarded as a hybrid series where uses many live-action shots with puppets in other areas. This shows the development of how the shows were beginning to morph from puppetry to live-action, Gerry Anderson had always wanted to make live-action and wanted always to achieve the best he could with his puppets to make them most realistic convincing. 

This could be a reason why he once said The Secret Service was his favourite of all his shows, being the closest of what he would always want to achieve.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 1 34
Joe McClaine was a small nine-year-old boy. Once his father invented a machine called the BIG RAT, it enabled the transference of brain patterns betw...
5K 113 9
The year is 2065. The time? Spring break. What was supposed to be a fun time for students to just take sometime off was quickly turning into hell for...
6.6K 1K 37
❖ Interstellar pilot and ex-adventurer Alex Gallegos must keep their team safe on an icy moon as sentient storms threaten to repeat the tragedy that...
755 26 23
The Armageddon - a ruthlessly powerful businessman, preparing to release highly dangerous amounts of toxic gas all across the major capitals of the w...