Something From Nothing

By Appleogies

"I don't care if you're a girl, a boy or a god damned gold fish. You're mine and that's all that matters to m... More

Something From Nothing
Prologue
Not So Inescapable
Screw You Moon Goddesses
Being Cuffed To A Bed Isn't As Kinky As I Thought
Gay And Directionally Challenged
Modesty? What's That?
Reject Me
Battleaxe In Heels
The Wicked Bitch Of The West
Death By Castration
Operation Ignore Orders
Kids Quote Greek Philosophers Nowadays?
A Prince And His Prince
Nude In Front Of The Royals
Dislikes Include Being Polite and Heterosexual
I Like Your Crown
Mister Snuggles's Decapitation
It's The End Of The World, Woop-de-fucking-do
Highway To Heaven
Proficient Talent for Sucking Dick
Give Me My Body Back!
Goddesses Gift
Favourite By Default
No Questions, Just Hugs
Stop...And Submit
I Swear On A Stack Of Abs
A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
Stay
Ruin Me
Fuck The Patriarchy
Man Up And Open Up
Unfuckingbelievable
Deus Ex Machina
The Abomination
Panicking Burns A Shit-ton of Calories
One Final Breath
Please
Shipping And Fanfiction
Time To Come Home
Home
Epilogue
EXTRA: It's Only Heaven When I'm With You
EXTRA: Until The Earth Crumbles To Dust And The Sun Dies

Distracting The Distraction

18.2K 851 241
By Appleogies

Achilles Morgan

If there was one thing that I was incredibly good at it was staying invisible. It was the main reason I was given the name of the Wraith in the first place. My strong ability to slip in and out of places unnoticed and fly through the night without once being seen.

Don't get me wrong I could also make myself the most noticeable person in the room. I'd only have to give someone a certain smile and as easily as that all the attention would be on me. I don't know why nor do I know how but it's just the way things have always been. Even as a child I got away with a lot just by offering a smile. It was strange and something I didn't really understand myself but it worked for me and that's just how I left it.

Now though as I walked down the halls, no one paid me any mind. With my head down, eyes trained on my feet and my hood up, I was invisible. No one spared me a glance.

I made a beeline to my locker and practically buried myself in it. My head was pounding. The migraine had been a constant nuisance all day. I was blinded with flashing colorful spots and craved darkness, quiet and stillness. Often nausea would overwhelm me and I would vomit. Twice today I've had to escape to the bathroom, barely making it to the toilet bowl. Pain would throb so violently around my skull that I wondered why it didn't just crack open.

The temporary darkness of my locker made me feel only slightly better, the noise around me hurt my sensitive ears and I winced when the bell shrieked above my head. Tears sprang to my eyes as the pain became almost unbearable.

Fortunately, the corridors thinned until I was the only one left. A sigh of relief let me. Scrubbing my eyes, I pushed up the sleeves of my hoodie and shoved my books back in my locker. I was just gonna skip this period I couldn't sit there and suffer for any longer.

As I was putting my textbooks away I caught a glimpse of the scars on my forearm. They were thin pale white lines that were barely noticeable under all the other larger scars that I had received in various fights with other alphas and even a few wild animals.

These scars though they were evidence that I wasn't nearly as mentally strong as I liked to believe. When in my weakest moment I had succumbed to the anxiety and depression and hurt myself. I had only done it a couple of times when I really felt as though I couldn't go on anymore. I hated myself after it each time because I knew that I was better than that but even the strongest people have their weak moments.

I traced the scars lightly. Pain was a good motivator for me. When I had hurt myself like that the pain reminded me that no one could hurt me as much as I could hurt myself. I stopped doing that years ago, now I'd just get into a fight or piss someone off enough that they would punch me. Although after being told who the Prince thought I was to him, no one would risk as much as giving me a dirty look, never mind hitting me.

So instead I've resorted to working out. Like a lot. I'll go to school. Go back to the palace. Lock myself in my room and work out until every muscle, joint, and skin cell ached. At that point, I'm too exhausted to do anything but crash into a dreamless sleep.

It has been working so far but after a week, my body was about ready to shut down. I've been pushing myself too hard, I know that but it was rather that or feel shit about myself and that never ended well.

"Something I need to be worried about?" A voice said from beside me, making me jolt in surprise.

My head snapped to the concerned blue eyes of my best friend. "Alfie. Jeez. Shouldn't you be in class?" I asked as I shut my locker. Careful not to slam it. I didn't want to make my headache any worse.

"Class is over. It's the end of the day." He said, his concern only growing. My brows scrunched in confusion, just how long had I been standing here?

"Now I repeat my question," Alfie gripped my forearm, his thumb rubbing gently across my scars. "Is there something I need to be worried about?"

I offered him my usual grin. "Of course not. I haven't done that in a long time, Alf."

He didn't look convinced. I moved, cupping his round cheeks in my palms. "I promise I have not hurt myself in that way for a long time and if I go back to that place, you'll be the first person I call."

Alfie gave me a soft smile. "Okay. Just know that I'm always here for you. Even though it's been a while I still care about you Ace. Above everything else, you are my best friend."

Unable to stop myself I wrap my arms around him and without hesitation he returns the embrace. The comfort was greatly appreciated. I hadn't realized how much I needed it until I was receiving it. It also helped that Alifes hugs were the best. Due to his height, it meant that he always towered over you and wrapped himself around you in a way that felt like he was harboring you from the big bad world.

"Thanks, Alfie," I whispered into his chest.

He kissed the top of my head. "Anything for you Ace."

A deep growl had us pulling apart. Across the hallway Logan, Elliot and Malik stood watching us. Logan looked slightly pissed, Elliot seemed jealous too and Malik if anything looked amused.

Simultaneously the pair of us spun around facing my locker. "Avoiding Elliot?" I asked, pretending to fiddle with my bag.

"Yep." He replied. "Avoiding Logan?"

"Yup." Our stares locked.

Then we both burst out laughing. There was nothing funny about the situation we were in but for some reason we felt a lot better about it.

"Alfie," A voice said from behind us. Our laughter died and the pair of us sighed. Turning slowly, Alfie offered an obviously fake smile whereas I didn't even attempt to pretend I was happy they were here.

"You're avoiding me." Elliot said, staring in the direction of my friend, "And you're also stalking my Instagram."

Alfie blushed heavily. "I don't know what you're talking about."

The beta raised a brow before getting his phone out and showing us all the notifications of likes from Alfie's account. "No? I just sneezed and accidentally liked your post?"

I took the phone from Eli's grip and scrolled through it.

"All of them?"

"I had the flu."

A smirk curled at my lips. "Oh, and you commented 'damn daddy,' on all of his selfies? What happened there? Did you slip and headbutt the keyboard?"

"Ace!" My friend scalded, doing a great impersonation of a tomato. I grinned at him teasingly. I was well aware of what had happened the night of the party.

Elliot had originally just wanted to distract Alfie long enough for Logan to dance with me but eventually, they both became entwined with each other.

Always touching, always staring, and always smiling. In the end, Alfie had passed out on top of Elliot. I don't know what happened after that but something clearly did for my friend to avoid someone. Alfie got along with everyone and rarely ever disliked someone enough to blatantly ignore them. I'd have to ask him about it later.

Alfie slapped my chest dragging me back to the present. "You're supposed to be my friend and back me up."

I chuckled. "I am your friend but do I have to remind you that I lie for a living. I'm sorry but I have to call out your shitty excuse, a baby could have come up with something better than that."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Fine if we're playing that game why are you avoiding Logan huh? Even though you're not talking to him you sure do stare at his ass a lot. What's your excuse there Mr. I-can-lie-my-way-out-of-anything?"

I shrugged, lifting my eyes to meet the dark ones. Logan had an eyebrow raised and a small smile lifted the corner of his mouth. It was much better than the glare but it still made me want to punch him. "I don't have an excuse. He has a nice ass. I can hate someone and still find them attractive."

Logan opened his mouth to say something but a girl slinked up to my side and offered me a sultry smile.

"Hi, Ace." The girl was pretty. With long brown hair, cute doe eyes, dark lashes, a small waist, and big breasts she was most guys' wet dream. Sorry, most straight guys' wet dream.

I offered her a sweet smile in return. "Heya. Is there something I can help you with sweetheart?"

She bit her lip playfully and allowed her heated gaze to graze over me. Logan growled again but the girl either didn't notice or didn't care. She placed her small hand on my chest and I got a glimpse of the several diamond rings on her fingers. They matched the necklace she was wearing too. "I was wondering if you'd be my date to this year's fall ball?"

Oh fuck, I forgot that was a thing.

The fall ball was a yearly party that the King and Queen held for all the Lycanthropes that wanted to make the journey to the palace. Some of the most powerful alphas and people in the country would be there. It was quite an elegant thing. A thing that I would not belong in at all.

"And why would I wanna do that?" I said, smirking down at her. I placed my hand over hers on my chest and subtly removed it. I continued to hold her hand but it was down by her side.

"Everyone comes. I just wanted to ask you to go with me tonight or at least save me a dance. If you come I promise you'll have a good time." She batted her pretty lashes at me and I felt nothing.

Letting go of her hand I brushed her hair off her shoulder and cupped the back of her neck, leaning in so my lips were by her ear. "Are you gonna be the one that makes it worth my while?"

She giggled. "I'm sure that can be arranged."

I pulled back. "Then I'll think about it."

She smiled widely at me before planting a kiss on my cheek and walking away. Swaying her hips intentionally.

"What the fuck was that?" Logan growled, his soft stare shifted to one of anger.

I rolled my eyes at him and leaned back against the locker. "Insurance."

Malik narrowed his eyes at me. Now Logan's stare wasn't as scary as the big guy. His height matched Alfies but he was much bulkier. His dark eyes that matched his dark skin felt like they were burning a hole in your soul.

"What do you mean?"

"How much do you think a diamond necklace is worth?"

Alfie chuckled beside me and I grinned at him, knowing that he caught on to what I had done.

"Depends...wait what does this have to do with anything?"

I shook my head a smile still on my face. "Nothing."

"Hand it over," Malik said, holding out his huge hand. So he was pretty observant too.

I rolled my eyes as I placed the girl's necklace in his hand. Logan and Elliot's eyes widened in shock. "I'm going to give this back to her," Malik said before darting away.

"Lost a lot of money there Ace." Alfie chortled.

I reached into my pocket and held out the two diamond rings I had slipped off her fingers too. "Think these will make up for it?"

Alfie threw his head back and laughed. Logan looked a little angry.

"You're useless." He growled.

I grinned at him in reply. "Actually I'm not totally useless. I could be used as a bad example." This just made Alfie laugh harder and Logan's lips twitched upwards. Elliot was just looking back and forth between the three of us like he was trying to figure out what the hell was happening.

"Wait what just happened? How did you do that? Achilles?" My smile faded as I snarled at Elliot.

"Don't call me that."

"Why not?"

"Because I said so."

"It's your name so I can say it as much as I please, Achilles."

"Eli, don't," Alfie warned from beside me. Elliot took a threatening step forward. I don't know what had gotten into him but he was pissing me off.

"You should listen to him, Elliot."

He smirked at me, defiance shining in his eyes. He wouldn't listen to me anyway. To him and his wolf I was still an omega and even betas didn't listen to those.

"What are you gonna do about it Achilles?"

Before I myself could even comprehend what has happened, I had Elliot's wrist in a tight grip and I twisted it forward sending him forward into a front flip before landing on his back with a painful thud. "Ah fuck!" He cursed, rubbing his back tenderly.

Alfie dropped to his side and helped sit him up. "I did try to warn you."

Blinding pain shot through my skull and I clutched my head between my hands. And the migraine returns.

Logan stepped to my side, he placed a careful almost hesitant hand on the bottom of my back. "You okay?" He murmured.

I brushed him off. "Yea I'm fine. In fact, we need to go." I helped Alfie up.

"Go where?" Logan said.

"Shopping. We have to find an outfit for tonight and as my date, Alfie has to help. So yeah bye!" I yelled over my shoulder as I practically dragged Alfie from the scene.

"Was that necessary?" He asked as we walked the short journey to his car.

"Yes."

He just nodded. The minute I slid into the leather seat, I dropped my head into my hands and sighed.

"Are you sure your okay?"

I shot him a small smile. "I'll be okay. Just a bad couple of days. Just need distracting is all."

A broad grin stretched on Alfie's mouth. Putting the car in gear he winked at me. "Then let me be the distraction."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.8K 2.8K 45
Liam Forsythe was not dealt an easy hand. On the day he was born, his dad, family and their entire wolf pack were massacred by a rival. The only reas...
36K 1.7K 69
A world where Beast tribes that live hidden away from the Humans, witches and warlock. A world where other animals also evolved with the apes but tha...
897K 29.3K 46
we just sat there staring at each other and my eyes flicked to his lips and his to mine... we both started to lean in... without thinking i placed my...
3.7M 157K 42
Book One in Mate Trilogy Sorenson was adopted at a young age, into a family that was abusive. His 'parents' would adopt more and more children and du...