Betrayal: Book 3 of the Guard...

By AuthorJMColes

#1 Romance Fantasy and #2 Superwoman - highest ranking. Alex and the dragon brothers return to Earth only to... More

Copyright notice
Betrayal - Prologue
Chap. 1.1 Gabe vs. Alex
Ch. 1.2 Not Buying What You're Selling
Ch. 1.3 Jabs Back and Forth
Ch. 2.1 RenFests and Dragons
Ch. 2.2 Oh No!
Ch. 2.3 Dances With Dragons
Ch. 3.1 No More Four Letter "L" Word
Ch. 3.2 Release Me
Ch 3.3 Reboot The Mission
Ch. 4.1 Shirts And Wings
Ch. 4.2 When The Past Catches Up With You
Ch. 4.3 Hello, Razz!
Ch. 5.1 Hello Complications!
Ch. 5.2 Razz Picks A Side
Ch. 5.3 Warpath
Ch. 6.1 A Natural
Ch. 6.2 It Starts To Unravel
Ch. 6.3 When You Kill Your Friends
Ch. 7.1 When It Starts to Implode
Ch. 7.2 Implosion Continues
Ch. 7.3 Love Stinks
Ch. 8.1 From Implosion to Explosion
CH. 8.2 Honestly
Ch. 8.3 From Explosion to Nuclear
Ch. 9.1 The Destruction Left Behind
Ch. 9.2 Casualties
Ch. 9.3 Ashes
Ch. 10.1 To Be or Not To Be
Ch. 10.2 Is the Safe House Safe?
Ch. 10.3 A Stupid Thing
Ch. 11. 1 Compromised
Ch. 11. 2 Talking Crazy
Ch. 11.3 Amnesia...The Way Out
Ch. 12.1 Slow Healing
Ch. 12.2 Movie Marathon Time!
Ch. 12.3 Time for Rile's Plan
Ch. 13.1 Rile's Plan Unleashed
Ch. 13.2 Fallout
Ch. 13.3 Called To Another World
Ch. 14. 1 Can't Control Myself
Ch. 14.2 The Morning After
Ch. 14.3 Burns, Orange Juice, and Vodka
Ch. 15.1 The Golden Repair
Ch. 15.3 Timeline Jumping
Ch. 16.1 Does Love Conquer All?
Ch. 16.2 Never Ask Why
Ch. 16.3 Part A and B Honeymoon in Niagara Falls ... Or Not
Ch. 17.1 Early Morning Happenings [full chapter]
Ch. 17.2 Finding Na
Ch. 17.3 A&B Camping with Na
Ch. 18.1 Fighting for Na
Ch. 18.2 Going Home with Na
Ch. 18.3 Return To Earth
Ch. 19.1 This Is Goodbye
Ch. 19.2 Take A Chance?
Ch. 19.3 All In
Ch. 20.1 How To Train Your Dragon To Love You

Ch. 15.2 Reboot The Mission Redeaux

207 42 106
By AuthorJMColes

Gabe waited for Alex to wake up. It was much safer. He lay on his side and ran his claws through the straight, silky hair. Slowly his top wing unfurled and draped across Alex.

She inhaled deeply and her body glowed. The luminescence lit his wing, spread to his torso, and then throughout his body. He rested his head next to hers and whispered, "I'll love you forever."

She shifted and his wing snapped to his back. He watched, stock still, as her eyes opened and she looked around, always disoriented, usually frightened. She gazed up at him and he smiled.

"Gabe?"

"Yes."

"Why am I damp and cold?"

"You helped me. You were magnificent. You replaced the nightmares of Cla." He ran the back of his hand down her cheek. "I'm sorry I don't have the body heat to keep you warm."

"Cla did this to you?" Alex caught his hand and traced the fingers. "Then you're my Gabe."

He leaned forward and kissed her. "Yes, I'm your Gabe. Now and always."

***

After Alex and Gabe warmed each other up with their bodies and Alex's power, Gabe held Alex against his chest and asked, "Since you helped me with my nightmares, can I—"

"No."

"You didn't let me finish."

"I know what you were going to say. You can't help me with Morgan. You don't have my powers. Leave it."

"What about Rile's Alex?"

"No."

"Why won't you even consider it?"

"One, this world's Morgan did a lot less to her and I won't put her through more. Two, the idea of her using her powers on me is creepy. Three, he used big illegal machines on my brain."

Gabe ran gentle claws on her back over the terrible burn, one of the few places he could safely touch her. She claimed it itched and that his fingers on it eased her.

"I'm surprised you kiss me," Alex said. "Human kisses are disgusting while Agama ones are magnificent. It's a poor trade. Thank you and it helps me tremendously."

Gabe traced her lips with his thumb. "My counterpart told you that human kisses are disgusting? He's a bigger idiot than I thought."

"He was smart enough to never kiss me," Alex said. "This isn't about him. It's about you helping me and me thanking you."

Gabe leaned forward so their lips almost touched. "Your kisses are the magnificent ones," he whispered.

"I guess powers help," Alex said. "Thank the Creator of All for them."

Gabe kissed her lightly. "It's not powers, it's you."

Alex ran glowing hands along his jaw and neck. "Thank you."

"I'm surprised Rile didn't make a play for you back on your world," he said at length.

"He took what he wanted," Alex said with bitterness. "Never again."

"Rile took? That bastard," Gabe hissed.

"Wait, not what you think," Alex said. "I'm feeling sorry for myself and being a drama queen. He only slept with me and indulged in my nightly glow when I didn't know about it. Cale said he should have told me, but it wasn't rape. Stand down."

"It wasn't right," Gabe said with anger.

"Oh, he knows that. I beat him down with a staff so hard that Cale had to stop me from killing him, I went so berserk." Alex traced his fingers, her hand lightly glowing white.

"He deserved it."

"No he didn't. I would have regretted that. Anyway, he's been trying to make it up to me and we've been trading verbal jabs ever since. Sad and painful." Alex sighed.

"That's all in the past," Gabe said. "How about a hot shower? You love those. I left the bathing suits here."

Alex grinned at him. "Did I tell you about the time Rile dumped ice water on me and Gabe in the shower?"

Gabe hissed again. "Sounds like him."

Alex laughed and sat up. "Don't be grumpy. I'm trying to make you laugh. Gabe tackled him and I was ready to blast him. Meanwhile, Rile is making fun of us for wearing bathing suits and Cale is ready to die of embarrassment. Looking back, it is funny."

"If you say so. I'd rather shower ice-free."

Alex stood up and stretched. "I doubt either of your brothers will ambush us. What about your nephews?"

"Caleb, never. Rafe? Maybe. But we have bathing suits and that boy would be so grounded."

"It'll make a funny story for generations," Alex said. "Let's go." She held out her hand to him and he laid his in hers. Alex hummed happily as they walked to the shower.

**

The weeks passed peacefully. The older Alex would return from her various missions and then soothe Rile on her return.

Once he was pacified, she and Rile would take their children hiking and picnicking and camping on the grounds.

The younger Alex felt badly for Cale, as he was odd man out once her older counterpart returned. Once she told Gabe that, he included his quiet middle brother in their times in the workshop and during meals.

The older Alex had left for a short trip to New Orleans, so routine that even Rile grumbled less than usual.

It was afternoon when there was a thud on the front door. Cale rushed over, looked through the peephole, and quickly opened the door, only to have the older Alex fall onto him.

"Rile! Come quick!" Cale carried her to the couch.

Rile rushed over to his wife and knelt beside her.

"I was set up." Alex's voice was weak.

"What happened? I told you to quit the agency." Rile stroked her hair and felt her pulse. He gently touched over her body, looking for wounds.

"I know, but Rile, they know about Caleb and Rafe and they want them." Alex clutched his arm. "We can't let them take our children."

"Calm down. We can handle anything they've got." Rile found a bullet wound and held up his hand.

Cale quickly placed a towel in his hand and Rile pressed it to the bloody hole.

"No, you don't understand," Alex protested.

"Hush now." Rile lifted the towel and peered closer at her.

"But-" Her words were broken off by violent, bloody, coughing.

Gabe and the younger Alex dashed in.

"Alex, please take her to a hospital." Gabe's voice was well-controlled. "Cale, take the children to one of the old hunting cabins. Take the one farthest from the lake. We'll fall back to there."

"Is that all we're going to do?" Rile exploded and stood up "We are going to get these—"

His angry words were cut off by a hesitant touch on his leg.

"Is Mom going to die?" Rafe asked and Caleb nodded his agreement with the question.

Rile looked down at the two little faces stricken with grief and worry.

"No, absolutely not." He picked them up and they embraced his neck but Caleb began to cry. "All right Gabe, we do it your way for now. But once everyone's safe, I'll pay back whoever's responsible." He started out the door.

"Mom! Mom!" Caleb cried and reached out to her on the couch.

"Hush, she'll be fine. She'll go to the hospital and the doctors will make her better."

Gabe picked up the wounded woman from the couch and asked the younger Alex, "Do you know the way to the hospital?"

"Yes, I went with her to an appointment there last week. You take the kids to safety."

"We'll meet at our usual cabin on the lake after we've hidden the children."

The younger Alex nodded, took Gabe's burden, and speed burst out the door.

**

"I have to tell you something," the older Alex said as they flew.

Alex was surprised that her counterpart could talk. "Save your strength. We'll come back for you."

"No, don't take me to the hospital. I cut a deal with Brockner. He'll stop the moles who shot me and let the others go. He wants me in exchange. You must take me to him."

"Sorry, no."

"You must. You understand. We have to save the children at all costs." The older Alex grabbed her shirt with a bloody hand.

"I understand. But if you die, he won't honor your bargain. So off to the hospital for you." The younger Alex could be firm, too.

"No, no," she moaned

"It'll be okay. Brockner wants an Alex, right? Any one will do."

"You can't go."

"Why not? He'll never know the difference. Besides, compared to Morgan, the guy's a wimp. He can't hurt me. This must be why I was Called here," the younger Alex said with more confidence than she felt.

The whole thing was just too weird to think about. She shut down her mind and operated at brainstem level, flying through the ER entrance.

The door slammed against the wall with a satisfactory crash. She dumped her wounded counterpart onto the nearest stretcher, shoved it under the nose of an astonished nurse, and streaked out again. Alex was grateful for a medical system that had to accept everyone.

***

After flying so far and so fast, Alex was forced to take a slower pace back. When the house came into sight, she circled lower.

With shock she saw cars parked carelessly all over the yard, their wheels crushing carefully tended gardens. A group of people waited in the yard, looking up at the sky, looking at her.

"Brockner," she called out. "We had a deal? Is it still on?" Her heart broke when she saw Caleb and Rafe among the group, weapons trained on them.

"Of course, come down."

One of the men nudged another and they moved backwards.

Brockner sharply motioned to two other men. "Relieve those two of their weapons and cuff them. They are working counter to us." Then he looked up again. "The two moles have been eliminated. It's safe to come down now."

"Safe is a relative term," Alex muttered to herself before calling out, "First tell your men to back off. I don't want accidental shots being fired."

The men looked to Brockner who nodded, and then they lowered their guns and stepped back.

"Better." Alex landed in front of Brockner.

"Are you ready?" Brockner's tone sounded like she had better be more than ready.

"Keep your shorts on. I want to say goodbye." She deliberately turned her back on him.

"Alex, what kind of deal are you talking about?" Gabe asked.

Before she could answer, a voice chilled her soul.

"Interesting metaphor, Alex," Morgan said.

*****

A/N
Dedicated to
JessieCailyn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.8K 1.9K 51
#smut #ratedR RANKED #1 #ORC RANKED #1 #HOTGUY RANKED #1 #MONSTER RANKED #2 #MYSTICALCREATURES RANKED #1 #EXOTIC A young women is forced into a world...
4.5M 230K 42
Alyssa and Daimon's future is in deep trouble when his dead fiancée comes back to life and the alpha of the top pack, Pablo, threatens to come for th...
243 38 22
!R-18 (No One 17 and Under Admitted)! When the Supreme Beings begin a showdown over jealousy, what can ordinary people do who are caught up in this i...
114 9 6
-"𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑎 𝑑𝑟𝑎𝑔𝑜𝑛.." -"𝑌𝑒𝑠..." -"𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑎𝑘.." -"𝑌𝑒𝑠..." Dragons are seen as glorious beasts. But what's more brilliant is...