Falling for my best friend [O...

By KittyWritesStories

Kaede Akamatsu joins Hopes Peak Academy only to find a boy who becomes her best friend, Shuichi Saihara. With... More

Welcome!
Chapter 1: Meeting my best friend I
Chapter 2: Meeting my best friend II
Chapter 3: Getting to know my best friend I
Chapter 4: Getting to know my best friend II
Chapter 5: Getting to know my best friend III
Chapter 6: Going out with my best friend I
Chapter 7: Going out with my best friend II
Chapter 8: Going out with my best friend III
Chapter 9: Getting to know my best friend IV
Chapter 10: Getting to know my best friend V
Chapter 11: Playing for my best friend I
Chapter 12: Playing for my best friend II
Chapter 13: Playing for my best friend III
Chapter 14: Going out with my best friend IV
Chapter 15: Getting to know my best friend VI
Chapter 16: Getting to know my best friend VII
Chapter 17: Getting to know my best friend VIII
Chapter 18: Jealousy of a best friend I
Chapter 20: Jealousy of a best friend III
Chapter 21: Jealousy of a best friend IV
Chapter 22: Losing my best friend? I
Chapter 23: Losing my best friend? II
Chapter 24: Losing my best friend? III
Chapter 25: Losing my best friend? IV
Chapter 26: He's more than my best friend
Announcement
Chapter 27: Breaking the news I
Chapter 28: Getting to know my best friend IX
Chapter 29: Breaking the news II
Chapter 30: Accidents Happen I
Chapter 31: Going on a date I
Chapter 32: Going on a date II
Chapter 33: Girl's Night Out I
Chapter 34: Girl's Night Out II
Special Chapter: Beach Day I
Special Chapter: Winter Resort I
Chapter 35: Girl's Night Out III
Chapter 36: Decisions and Secrets I
Chapter 37: Decisions and Secrets II
Chapter 38: Rumors and the Truth I
Chapter 39: Rumors and the Truth II
Happy birthday, Shuichi!
We're finally here!
Chapter 40: Rumors and the Truth III
Chapter 41: Rumors and the Truth IV
Chapter 42: Rumors and the Truth V
Chapter 43: Rumors and the Truth VI
Chapter 44: Rumors and the truth VII
Chapter 45: The Piano Competition I
Chapter 46: The Piano Competition II
Chapter 47: Hope for my best friend I
Chapter 48: Hope for my best friend II
Chapter 49: Hope for my best friend III
Chapter 50: Hope for my best friend IV
Thank you

Chapter 19: Jealousy of a best friend II

2.1K 57 119
By KittyWritesStories

Math was the last class of the day on Tuesdays. The teacher assigned the entire period to working on the project and as soon as I entered class, I noticed Rantaro was listening to music. He handed me a paper once I sat next to him. He wrote the outline already?! I was delighted by the idea that he came up with although I wish he would've discussed with me first. He decided to bake and ice a cake with the information we learned in class. "Hey, Rantaro." I looked to my partner who clearly didn't hear me. "Rantaro," I said more loudly. Still no answer, so I poked his shoulder causing him to take off one earbud. "Shouldn't we have talked about this?"

"You don't like the idea?" he asked softly.

"No! I do! I just think we should have agreed on a decision. I don't want you doing all of the work."

"I've never heard someone complain about that before." I was going to protest, but I could tell it would've been futile. He returned back to his music and I continued reading the rest of the outline.

"Rantaro, what do-" I looked to my left and sighed as I saw him on his phone. I tapped on his shoulder, a little vexed. "What does this say?"

"We'll bake the cakes at my place after school Friday and Saturday." Ugh, what if I have plans?

"O-okay..." I noticed a mistake and was about to comment on it, but paused when I saw both earbuds were in his ear again. I sighed and started jotting some notes leaving him alone for the rest of the period.

When we got to my house, I complained about Rantaro to Shuichi. I was walking back and forth as he was sitting on my bed. "He just decided everything without asking me!" Shuichi couldn't help, but smile in amusement teasing me.

"Kaede, you're the only girl who complains about not doing any work."

"He said that! I don't see what's wrong with it, I just don't like relying on others." He frowned softy and stood up walking up to me.

"You know you can rely on me, Kaede." My heart fluttered and I looked away, blushing softly.

"O-of course..." He smiled and we hugged before finishing up homework. Shuichi is the only one I can rely on. It's just so easy to talk to him...Suddenly, a light bulb turned on in my head. "I have an idea!" He nodded and I sat next to him as I told him what I thought of. We finished our homework before he went back home.

Wednesday came and Rantaro was still listening to his music. "Rantaro." No response from him, so I took out post-it notes and jotted down messages. I smiled putting it on his desk successfully getting his attention.

Kaede: What are you listening to?

Rantaro: Music.

I felt my eye twitch at the obvious statement, but I smiled because I got a response from him.

Kaede: What genre?

Rantaro: Right now, EDM.. But I also listen to chill and classical.

Kaede: I love classical!

Rantaro: What's your favorite artist?

I gained a feeling of success finally getting a full conversation out of him. We continued talking through post-it notes as we worked on the project. Right before class, I asked him one last question.

Kaede: You don't talk much, do you?

Rantaro: Really? I haven't noticed...

I couldn't help, but giggle at that response causing him to look up at me for a second. On the ride to my house, I told Shuichi about my progress. "I actually got a conversation out of him! We talked about music and stuff. He didn't even realize how quiet he was. I told you it would work."

"You did. I'm happy for you, Kaede." I smiled at him, but noticed that he seemed a little down.

"Are you okay, Shuichi?"

"Yeah, just thinking about Kokichi."

"Hmm, you're right, he hasn't showed up. Maybe he got captured by the government for stealing something!" He laughed softly making me relax.

"He would get into something like that." He still remained quiet while we hung out, but I didn't pay much attention thinking about how Rantaro and I are going to talk tomorrow.

The next day came and I felt more confident and closer to my math partner. I had already written some questions on notes, but I noticed him not wearing his earbuds.

"Not listening to music today?"

"My earbuds broke." He examined me up and down and smiled. "You look pretty." My eyes widened and I blushed softly. His smile was pure and genuine.

"T-thanks. What do we have left for today?"

"Just drawing out the cake." I thought back to my previous drawings and laughed nervously. Thankfully, he noticed my expression and pulled out a piece of paper to start drawing.

"Wow, Rantaro, you're amazing!" He smiled softly. His cake looked so delicious that I wish it came to real life. "Do you take classes?"

"I... was forced to draw by my parents." I gave him a sympathetic look.

"You don't have to tell me. I'm sorry for assuming." He smiled again looking up at me.

"It's fine. If I'm being honest, I don't mind drawing. But because of them, I try not to do it unless I have to."

"But you're amazing, Rantaro! I don't think you should let your parents take away the talent you have. I took piano classes when I was young, but when my..." I paused wondering if I was really going to tell this boy, that I barely knew, my vulnerable memory. I thought about Shuichi holding and supporting me and smiled. He helped me and now it's my time to help someone else. I took a deep breath and finished my sentence. "When my parents died, I couldn't even look at it again." He whispered, 'I'm sorry' with a sympathetic look.

He paused, then asked softly, "Why did you come back?" I felt my heart beat and smiled.

"Someone encouraged me to never give up on what I love. Now, I always play from my heart for him and my friends. I want to be the one to encourage you to continue drawing because you're amazing."

"Thank you, Kaede." We talked for the rest of the period while coloring in the cake and decorations. I stood up to leave class, until I felt him grab my wrist. "Could I get your number? F-for messaging you tomorrow." He had a pink tint on his face and didn't make eye contact with me that entire time. I nodded and we exchanged numbers before leaving class.

~ Shuichi's POV ~

I couldn't get that Rantaro guy out of my mind. Does Kaede like him? Does he like Kaede? I wonder what they talk about. I shut those ideas out as soon as they appeared. I told her I wanted to remain friends. She's just my best friend. So why do I feel this way? I shook my head and walked towards my locker. My heart felt heavy as soon as I saw Kaede talking to Rantaro in front of her locker. I bit my lip and put my books away not looking at them. I've never had this feeling before and I don't like it. I headed straight to the tables where we all hung out. I walked up to the girls who were expectedly there. "Hey." They all turned their attention towards me.

"Hey, Shuichi. Where's Kaede?"

"She's with... Um, do you girls happen to know a guy named Rantaro?"

"Hmm? No, but I don't really pay attention to guys," Tenko replied.

"He's in our grade. Green hair and super quiet boy," Miu answered.

"He's in my science class," Maki said.

"He's so handsome! I love quiet and mysterious guys!" Mikan exclaimed. The girls seemed to be in agreement talking about him. Well, that didn't help. I felt a pat on my shoulder and looked to see Kaito.

"Kaito, do you know a guy named Rantaro?" The boy had a confused expression.

"Don't tell me you like him, too."

"No! I'm just asking."

"Yeah, he's this awkward, quiet dude. Nothing much to him and no one really pays attention to him, but I also heard he's rejected a lot of girls." He doesn't seem quiet around Kaede...

"I see... Have you gotten any news on Kokichi?"

"Yeah, actually. He sent me a text saying, 'Sorry, dude. Will be out on a family vacation'."

"Well, that explains it!" Tenko exclaimed.

"So that means we'll have some peace and quiet!" All of the girls cheered. Kaito gave me a more concerned expression.

"This isn't how he normally texts... He's so serious. Kokichi is never serious, and why is he telling me now?"

"Maybe he finally got internet. Do you know where he went?" He shook his head looking down. Maki walked up to put her hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, you have friends here, too. If you want to talk we're here." I was surprised by her statement and so was Kaito. Maki barely said anything and this was really bold and sweet of her. He gave her a big smile nodding his head.

"I will. Thank you, Maki." She had a soft smile and returned back to the girls.

"That was interesting." I looked at Kaito who was still staring at the black-haired girl. I sighed and headed for my next class unable to get the thought of Kaede smiling with Rantaro out of my head.

As soon as class ended, I smiled as I saw Kaede by her locker. "Hey, Kaede. Ready to go?" She nodded and we headed off to her house like we normally did. I noticed she was on her phone the entire time while we were hanging out. She didn't play the piano and rarely focused on her homework. I slammed my book shut startling her. "Sorry, we should focus on homework." I wasn't sure what came over me, but I was curious as to what or who caught her attention.

"Right! Sorry, Rantaro and I have been talking about the project." Of course. I got up and went to her bathroom washing my face. It's such a strange and disgusting emotion. You cannot feel this way. She's your best friend and if she likes Rantaro you'll support her. You can't like her... You don't like her. I dried my face with my shirt and as soon as I exited the bathroom, I saw Kaede jump and put her phone away.

"Everything alright?"

"Y-y-yeah! Why wouldn't it - I be?" I just smiled, but inside I felt confusion, worry, and a reocurring feeling. She wasn't on her phone anymore and she seemed to be blushing the entire time. I left her house after we finished homework. Once my head landed on my pillow one thought came through my head. I can't like her. I don't like her. I can't... I don't... I can't... I don't... I -... Do I like her?

Uploads every Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 221 33
Shuichi Saihara's life is perfect. He has the perfect internship for his perfect talent at his perfect high school run by his perfect family. That's...
33.8K 675 18
This fanfic begins in the early days of being trapped in the killing game, it's an unlikely place but romance can somehow manage to form anywhere no...
4.2K 120 21
The story takes place over class 79th, (the supposed participants of the Killing School Semester) attends Hope's Peak Academy, after The Tradgedy too...
4K 60 20
Shuichi is determined to solve the mystery behind the murder of Kaede's mother, but his investigation forces him to get closer to the ultimate pianis...