At The End Of It All

By Dazed_Sphinx

Adrien Agreste is tired of it all. The beatings. The pain. The façade he must put on in front of his friends... More

Keep Smiling
Author's Note
Sorry!
The Frowning Cat
A/N
Shadow
Frayed
I'm Okay
Everything
More Unneeded Blabbing...
Sigh.
Do It
Author-Chan's Summary
A/N (again)
Please
😆
Nothing
Trust Me
Sorry
The End
The Law: Part I
I legit have NO time.
The Law: Part II
Thick, Dark, Warm
The Physical Plane
Free Bounds
Philosophy And Fear
Magnets and Dreams
Solitude
Author's Note
Windows And Wagers
Definitive Insanity
Q And A!
Stronger
Surprises
Half-Truths
Storm's Beginning
What We Can Really Do
Reason
Creatures Of The Dark
Together We Stand
Kindasortamaybe
Mano-A-Mano
About updates and stuff
Memoria
He Bleeds
Hurt And Helpers
i got tagged
Package Deal
Author's Note: I'm Still Alive And So Is This Story
A Leap Of Faith
Sigh.
The Calm In Chaos

Stalemate

1.6K 59 77
By Dazed_Sphinx

Adrien's P.O.V

I woke up restrained to a chair in a dark room. There was nothing around me but four grey walls and a lone door across from me. I could barely see, since there were no windows, and no light. My memory was crystal clear, and I could remember how I broke Mr. Culler's arm. It wasn't the worst part.

I felt no remorse for it. I remembered the sounds of his arm breaking in so many different places, how he screamed and begged for me to stop, and how I smiled all through the whole thing, but I didn't feel an ounce of guilt. Not even fear.

I felt nothing.

But I remembered something else.

Chaos.

I'm here.

I waited for him to laugh. To tell me I failed and take over my body completely. But nothing happened. As the silence became deafening, I became more and more confused.

Aren't you going to take over me?

Do you want me to?

My eyes narrowed. No, of course not, but...I lost, didn't I?

You'd think you'd want to win, he said with an annoyed sigh. However much I would have liked it to be so, no. You didn't lose. You surprised me, I must say, but then again, you always seem to have something up your sleeve, whether you're aware of it or not.

What do you mean?

The deal was that you needed to request for my help, not that you needed to be declared completely insane. You never called for me, so technically, you didn't lose.

What?

Why are you so surprised?

Well, I never thought of you as a person who would keep your word like that. Even up to the technicalities.

Think of it as a stalemate, Agreste. No losses, but nowhere to go.

I figured that he was right. It was strange, having expected Chaos to jump at the chance of getting my body under his control, whether or not I won the deal. He seemed very pleased with himself, though, and that only made me feel more confused.

Then it hit me.

A stalemate. No more possible moves, but no losses sustained. I began to wonder about the reason he said that. Why were there no possible moves?

And...who would sustain no losses? Me?

Or...Chaos?

Oh, and by the way, you were declared a danger to everyone in the facility after your little attack, so it's being decided upon whether you should be moved to a more intensive institution...or put down altogether.

I choked. "What?" I hissed, and Chaos burst into fits of laughter in my head.

What were you expecting? You might not remember, but you broke a lot more than just his arm. Ha, you should see your face, it's priceless. Oh, I'm banking on them killing you, if it wasn't already blatantly obvious.

In that instant, I remembered why I didn't trust Chaos. He was a manifestation of evil that lived in my psyche, so he was incapable of thinking in ways that were not evil. His purpose was to hurt. To destroy. He was called Chaos, after all. The only reason he hadn't taken over my body was because it would be pointless if I was dead, or moved to some place where my every move was watched and restricted.

My fate was inevitable.

But I wasn't going to stand and let it happen.

How long have I been here? I asked.

Four or five hours, give or take, he responded boredly. Hard to keep track of time when I'm stuck in a place like this with a person like you.

A smirk crossed my lips, and I knew he noticed when I felt him perk up in curiosity.

"The day isn't up yet," I said, and I felt his confusion grow. "So...I'm asking for your help."

What?

"You'd think you'd want to win," I said, repeating his words from before. He chuckled deviously.

You never fail to impress me in new ways, Adrien. He manifested into his physical form and bent over to look me right in the face. His glowing eyes lit the room up with a dull light. "How exactly do you want me to help you?"

"I need to get out of here. Whatever it takes."

He grinned. "Well, since you've proven to me that you're smarter than you look, I'll show you a little mercy. I won't take over your body, and I will help you, but...I will take whatever measure necessary. Agreed?"

"Sounds good."

He straightened. "Well then, let's get this over with, shall we, Plagg?"

My eyes narrowed. "What do you mean, Pla-" I cut off into a scream as Chaos violently crashed into my stomach, making pain erupt inside me. He seemed to dissolve into my skin, and the agony didn't stop for a second. It felt like I was sitting on a fire that slowly and deliberately spread through my entire body. I screamed in excruciating pain, my entire body growing taut and rigid. I couldn't move.

And then, like a light going out, it all stopped, and I slumped, sliding out of the chair and landing in a heap on the floor, free of my restraints. I could barely register my movements, but I was vaguely aware that I stood up and began walking towards a dark spot right beside the door. But there was something weird about the way I walked.

I was on all fours.

I pressed silently against the wall as the door opened and a man in a white lab coat walked inside, but he was ten times larger than he was supposed to be. In fact, everything was bigger now. It gave me whiplash, and made my brain even slower.

The man's eyes widened at the sight of the empty room. While he gaped, I slunk silently out of the room and darted across the floor, keeping to the shadows. I wasn't even aware of where I was, and my mind was still numb from pain.

Chaos...what is this? I murmured, my thoughts barely coherent.

This is me helping. Along with Plagg, of course, however much I would love to leave him here.

Hey!

Oh, shut up. You know he wouldn't leave you even if I tried to force him to.

What's...going on...?

Shh, Yellowhead. Just sleep.

Despite myself, I felt my mind float into unconsciousness, but my body didn't stop moving for a moment.

Chaos was in control.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marinette's P.O.V

We trudged into the bakery, exhausted from the trip. Alya was groaning about eating too much pound cake, Nino tried to comfort her, and Chloe was laughing like a normal person for once. It was endearing, seeing them all like this. Chloe seemed better than she was during the trip to the Seine. She wasn't so bad, after all.

I just hoped she'd stay that way.

"Mama! Papa! I'm home!"

"Oh, hello, Alya, Nino!" Mama said sweetly, and her eyes widened at the sight of Nath. "Nathaniel! You're on your feet!" She rushed over to pull him into a hug. "I see that my daughter seems to be doing a good job taking care of you."

He laughed. "Trust me, she's better than some of the doctors down at the hospital. Maybe that's why I got better so fast." He grinned at me, and I looked away, heat gathering in my cheeks.

"Oh, Chloe Bourgeois!" Mama exclaimed. "What brings you here?"

"Oh, I was just hanging out with Mari and the others, Ma'am," she said shyly, and Mama laughed.

"Oh, just call me Sabine, darling. It's nice to see you!"

"Th-thank you," she smiled.

"Oh, hello, kids," Papa said, appearing out of nowhere. He was holding a platter full of cake slices. "I made a bunch of treats, and I don't think the three of us can eat all of them. Would you like to join us for dinner?"

"Ah, I can't. I have to head home early and take me medicine," Nath said, making a pained expression. "They aren't the best, but I have to take them if I want to heal up fast."

"And I'm stuffed!" Alya moaned, holding her stomach. "I'm totally having a pound cake baby right now, and it's Nino's!" Nino turned bright red at her words, and she cackled. "What are you blushing for? You're the one who introduced pound cake to me, so it's your fault!"

"I think I'll just take her home now," Nino said exasperatedly, leading Alya out of the bakery, but not before she nabbed a piece of cake from off of the platter.

"I'm prepared to die," she hissed before allowing herself to be dragged off by Nino.

"I have to eat dinner at my house," Chloe said, and she smiled at Mama before turning to leave.

I turned to Nath, who smiled at me. "Well, I have to go. See you at school?"

"Yeah."

He bent over to me and whispered in my ear. "Good luck." When he pulled away, I noticed a hint of sadness in his eyes, but it disappeared quickly.

But I saw it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't eat much of dinner, since we had eaten at a small eatery by the Seine. I went up the stairs to my room two at a time, the only thing I needed in that moment being sleep. Tikki hovered beside me.

"Do you have a plan, Marinette?" she asked.

"I'm not sure yet. But I'll think of something. We need to save Chat, and then we can focus on Adrien." Love or not, Adrien could wait. I needed Chaton. My partner was the only important thing for now. Once he was safe, I would be in a positive enough state of mind to try and help Adrien, no matter how much he pushed me away.

As I opened the door to my room, all possible plans or decisions for the future went flying out of the window.

Because there, sprawled out on my floor, unconscious and clad in a grey jumpsuit, was Adrien.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1617.

We're having holidays, and I had nothing to do, so I wrote.

You're welcome.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 108 17
Unable to transform in time, Marinette sacrifices her life to save Adrien from an assassin. With the help of the Kwamis, Adrien is able to bring her...
149K 3.6K 27
(COMPLETED) Miraculous Ladybug Fanfiction - Adrien is Not a Model. He's an abused, broken boy. Ever since his mom died a year ago, he's been abused...
118K 2.9K 19
Adrien Agreste may seem like he has everything together. Being a famous model, all the girls crushing on him, secretly living a double life as a famo...
234K 4.9K 33
[UNDER EDITING]Marinette and Adrien take on Hawkmoth in the final battle, overcoming challenges Ladybug never thought she'd face again... including C...