The Ancients

By MissFantasyy

BOOK ONE - promised series When a new family moves to Everett Valley, Catherine vows to find out what they ar... More

Foreword
Map of Espheros
Prologue
1: Defenceless
2: Manipulation
3: Diversity
4: Unfamiliarity
5: Suffocation
6: Hope
7: Secrecy
8: Responsibility
The Ancients on Amazon!
9: Disappointment
10: Death
11: Detachement
12: Companionship
13: Distance
14: Despair
15: Hypocrisy
16: Trust
17: Naivety
18: Pretence
19: Exhaustion
20: Divulgence
21: Involvement
22: Anger
23: Compulsion
24: Deceit
25: Finality
26: Fear
27: Gratitude
28: Contravention
29: Confinement
30: Secrecy
31: Abuse
32: Inevitability
33: Curiosity
34: Panic
35: Rebellious
36: Fear
37: Breakage
38: Decisions
39: Rules of Nature
40: Predictions
41: The Second Stage
42: Our Time will Come
44: Blood Relations
The END
Epilogue: The Council
Author Natalie Virginia

43: Escape Plan

1.4K 119 41
By MissFantasyy

Another crack sounded in the distance—similar to the sound I'd heard before Kendra shifted. Only this time, it was much, much closer.

I perked my ears to listen. I tried to pinpoint the location where the sound had come from, but I could only tell that it probably came somewhere from the east.

C, did you hear that too? Kendra's voice was shaky, quite like my nerves were.

I turned my head towards her and slowed my pace. Yes.

Kendra's eyes widened and we both stopped, waiting. Listening. Do you think it was just another forest animal?

Turning my head towards the east, I inhaled as deeply as I could. But there was no scent, no other smell than that of dirt and flowers. The usual forest-muck. Though still hoping it had truly been just another forest animal, I doubted it. 

There was something—someone—coming towards us, not wanting themselves known.

I sniffed the air again but got nothing.

Maybe we should run, Kendra suggested.

Good idea, I answered, and we both darted through the forest. We ran as fast as we could. The second we broke into a run, someone else did too.

Someone's following us! Kendra shouted in my mind, only making my worry grow.

I know. I can hear them too!

Panic started to break out inside of me. Had the council found us? Was this what had happened to the others who had dared venture beyond the three neighbourhoods?

Were we too going to disappear, never to be seen?

Fear cut through my bones. Kendra, we need to go faster!

With my senses clouded by blinding fear, I pushed myself further and further, faster and faster. Maybe we would make it back quick enough to shake whoever was following us off on the way.

The thundering sounds of footsteps behind me grew louder. Quicker. I resisted the urge to turn around to see how close they already were, but I couldn't. I wasn't ready for how close they might already be.

I pushed harder. Kendra was keeping up, though she fell back slightly. 

Kendra, hurry!

Her pace slowed.

No, Kendra, push yourself! You can do this! We'll be there soon!

But Kendra didn't answer. I could hardly see her in my peripheral-vision anymore, which meant she was behind me. If she was behind me... Though everything inside of me screamed for me not to, I slowly turned my head.

C, look out! Kendra screamed and suddenly, I crashed into something hard.

It instantly knocked me off of my feet and I layed in the thicket with my legs hurting and my head spinning. Kendra slowed her pace and stood behind me, her teeth bared.

She growled a feral growl I never thought she was capable of.

What do you want, she spat dangerously, speaking to someone I couldn't see. I only saw Kendra, too dizzy to turn and see for myself. My head was still spinning. The world around me was swimming in and out of focus.

You are in forbidden territory, another voice said, one I barely recognised. Was it Jaxxon? No, that wasn't quite right. But it sounded so similar...

We got lost. We're on our way home now, Kendra replied, determination in her words. Where was all this coming from?

The Kendra I knew would have been too afraid and too shocked to get a single word out in a situation like this!

Finally, the world around me came back into focus. I tried to stand up, wobbly as I was, and turned to face whoever was in front of Kendra.

When grey fur came into view, matched with a pair of silver eyes, I knew exactly who we were dealing with.

Jaxxon's father. One of the Protectors.

Surely you can just allow us to continue our way back home, Protector Thorne, I said, trying to add an intimidating sound to my voice by deepening it and making it flow smoothly.

You know the council's laws, Pathfinder Catherine. So does Madame Esmara's granddaughter, Warrior Kendra. The laws apply to all residents of Everett Valley. I am here to ensure they do, Protector Thorne answered, his voice void of any emotions. It was cold and guarded.

So what do you plan on doing then, Protector? Kendra inquired, masking her fear with a fake shield of confidence.

This was definitely not the Kendra I knew.

Apparently, it wasn't only the men who changed...

I am escorting you to the Keinarnin.

Kendra and I exchanged worried looks.

What is the Keinarnin? I asked, not sure if I really wanted to have an answer.

Instead of giving one, Jaxxon's father nudged his head towards my left—what I assumed was north. The human section of Everett Valley was in the north. Why did he want us to go there? Our neighbourhood was to the west.

Where the hell was this Keinarnin place?

My blood ran cold once I realised something.

What if we were never going to go home? What if Keinarnin was the place all those people had disappeared to? Maybe it was some kind of prison?

I didn't want to go to prison! We didn't deserve to go to prison! Surely Kendra could talk us out of this. She was the Supreme Elder's granddaughter. That had to count for something!

My breathing quickened. I had to figure out a plan. Now. Or else we would never be able to leave Everett Valley.

Follow me, the Protector said cooly, taking the first few steps towards me and turning on my left towards north. He walked slowly, expecting both Kendra and I to follow him without so much as hesitating. Was he so confident in himself that he thought we didn't stand a chance if we refused to follow?

Before I gave in to the urge to attack him so Kendra could run and get help, I tried to use his confidence to our benefit. I concentrated on his emotional signature, taking a deep breath and closing my eyes. 

When I reopened them, I saw a violet glow around his persona. 

The colour of pride.

Jaxxon's father had been a Protector for all of his life. He'd signed up to protect Everett Valley in the council's name since I could remember. He had probably done this a few times before, considering how calm and controlled he was. Surely he would be prepared for Kendra and I to try and escape.

Kendra already shot me suggestive looks, waiting for me to imply that I understood and was on board. Instead, I subtly shook my head. Attacking now would only end in his expectations being met—Kendra and I had to think of a different approach if we wanted to get out of this. One would think I was the warrior, not Kendra. 

Where had all the strategy lessons gone? 

I had attained the pathfinder status because I wasn't good enough in combat training to be a warrior. Now, in the one situation where the fruit of our lessons could be tested, Kendra wasn't doing as she'd learned.

It made a spark of anger flicker across my ocean. I grew frustrated that the weight of this escape and its hopeful success rested on my shoulders.

I wished Reece were here. He'd know what to do in a heartbeat. And so would Emmet.

Since Protector Thorne was walking in front of us, he couldn't see when I nudged my head from Kendra towards him, trying to tell her wordlessly that we needed to follow him.

When the grey wolf looked back, he seemed almost surprised that we were complying so easily. He then turned his attention back to the view in front of him—trees upon trees lined up. The sun was slowly crawling down the horizon. 

Within only a few hours, nightfall would come.

Kendra and I needed to escape before that.

Chapter Question: Do you think Kendra and Catherine will manage to escape? 

Reader Question: What do you do typically when you're bored? 

I sleep. 

Yep. Sad, huh? But if I'm so bored, I just sleep. I'm not bored very often since I usually find something to do but if it's bad, I sleep. Lol. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 2 41
"Everyone feels love differently. For some... it's currents of electricity, sending millions of tingles through one person and into the other. Others...
5.9K 235 23
Allie has been raised to defend her pack no matter what. As a werewolf, its hard to live life half human and half werewolf. The time has come where s...
985K 29.6K 47
❝Contrary to the popular belief, there's a very thin & fragile line between saying too much, and saying too little. More often than not, you'll find...
13.9K 1.1K 10
YOU CAN GET THE COMPLETE BOOK ON HINOVEL. Betrayal Hurts.... but what if the betrayer is your mate? ••••••••• Shyl...