Stronger Than Pain

By WeirderMum

Highest Rank #61 Mum was struggling to breathe, her legs kicking hard as they shuffled on the floor. I pulle... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Hello All
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
I'm Heartbroken!!
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty Two
Hello

Chapter Sixty One

1.5K 237 37
By WeirderMum

*ADAOMA*

Mum came around in the evening after work and I informed her that dad had called earlier. I could instantly sense the frustration written all over her. She will constantly mumble words as if she was running mad. I knew something was up but I didn't know just how to get her to talk. Mum is the type of woman who would prefer covering up her problems while pretending all is well.

"You've not been yourself as of late, please what's the problem?" I asked with the resignation that she wouldn't share whatsoever problems it is with me. I was totally wrong.

"Let's sit down Ada" she beckoned, trotting off towards the couch in the sitting room.

At first I was shocked, I hadn't expected such quick compliance. Then my body released my hold and I jerked to life, following her and nestling in the opposite couch. Comfortable on the chair, she adjusted her position to face me.

"I have been discussing our issue with people and ..... and I'm just losing it" she muttered

"What issue mum?"

"About your dad and I"

"What are those your friends saying?" I asked, unhappy because I've already envisioned the general perception of her friends. The general rule of making a home. I wouldn't be surprised.

"Everyone is advising I accept him back. They believe God just wanted to teach him a lesson, and that it is good he is now remorseful and repentant as it will stop him from further madness" She answered calmly.

"Do you believe that in your heart? Truthfully?" I asked. She didn't waste a second before moving her head sideways in quick succession.

"I still strongly believe he is the same old Emeka I know" Mum replied. I paused for a second before adding.

"Let me ask you something mum" She looked up at me while I picked up my phone and began typing in my noteapp. "If dad had met you downcast, haggard and poor, do you still think he will make a comeback? Or go around looking for a way to make amends? Will he still love you just like he is professing now?"

Mum was very silent for few seconds and then shook her head again. "I don't think so".

"Wasn't dad ready to remarry and even planning it before he suddenly met you? So why are these your friends making you feel like the bad guy if you choose not to take back a man that nearly killed you?"

"I don't know Ada. They make it look and sound like because I'm separated that I am lesser than them, and wouldn't be lucky to remarry if eventually I decide to" Mum lamented.

"They are very myopic and to me, you are above and greater than them all. He who fights and runs, lives to fight another day" I was getting angry. Now I understand why she has been rambling incoherent words. Stupid emotional bullies.

"Mum, you ran away from dad so that this day could happen, and even at that mum, you still need to choose your path most carefully so that you wouldn't get a repeat of your past. And I must warn politely that you shouldn't do anything because of us" I stated firmly, locking eyes with her. "Because as you can see we are far better off without him, than when we were all together. This decision should be for you and about you". I paused, staring at her to see if I could deduce any emotions. She was actually doing a good cover up. So I continued "Please do not ever consider what the society would say. Remember this same society called you a weakling for enduring all those years of battering."

Mum smiled up at me. "You know you sound very much like Mma, no wonder she adores your brilliance so much" Mum praised me. I smiled, happy that I could give her some words she found most valuable.

"And you know what?" She started looking up at me "Truthfully, at a point I felt I wouldn't raise a strong daughter that would say no to abuse; I became worried that you might even take after your dad and humiliate me." She was in tears. I stood up from the couch and moved closer to her, wrapping my arms around her.

"I love you mum, we all do" I assured her

"I have made a decision Ada" she said springing up from the couch. "Your dad was my first love and I have loved him even up till this day. I will invite him for a talk and will brief you at every step of the way." She said.

That was quick. Very unexpected. I wouldn't say I was sad but I felt let down, disappointed. I had believed she would shut that door forever but I know that once mum sits down and listen to dad's sweet tongue, then the fight is ended.

I tried instantly to put up an indifferent front to the news and she was glad I was open to whatsoever she wanted to do. My job now was just to wait and see what happens next and when it's gonna go down. It will even be better for me if I would start believing that despite everything, mum and dad were coming back together. Not a very ecstatic news for me. Not a great one.

Mum set up the meeting and mandated that dad come along with grandma and her siblings. She informed Uncle Stanley who promised to come also.

The d-day finally came, and was surprisingly a huge family meeting. Everyone including myself was present except mum's sister, aunt Tobi and my siblings. Her absence wasn't a surprise to me as I'd overhead mum earlier discussing with someone over the phone to not inform her. Dad on the other hand as requested had come with his mum and siblings. Aunty Tee was looking upset as always but this time around, she was mute all through and only spoke when asked to.

"Emeka" Uncle began. "You have been stalking my sister ever since you coincidentally ran into each other. She has taken time to explain everything to me and I believe she hasn't withheld any information. You and your family rejected my sister, why are you stalking her?"

"Thank you for having us" Dad began.  "I know I have behaved badly towards my family and believe me I am regretting every of my action." He said remorsefully. "Nneka here has been a wonderful wife and daughter in-law to me and my family. I, in fact we are truly sorry for the way we treated her and the children" He paused seemingly for support from his family. Grandma coughed and spoke.

"Ehh, just like my loving son said, he is sorry for everything. He has erred, we are humans and do err every time but it is divine to forgive as we all know". She paused, dragging in a sharp breath.

I was perplexed. Her words sounded scripted and reversed and never from the heart, but I kept my observation to myself.

"Nneka, you have known my family for as long as I can remember. It was God's wish and your destiny to be married into my family even after both you and my son had lost hope and contact, God still reunited you both through his sister here, Tekilah. Forgive my dear daughter and bring your home together once again."

Grandma finished and everywhere became as quiet as a grave yard again. I guess everyone was waiting patiently for aunty Tee's apology but it wasn't forthcoming even though I was sure she knew she was expected to speak.

"Tekilah, do you have something to say?" dad asked throwing her a knowing glance, but she quietly shook her head. I had fixed my gaze on dad and I could immediately feel his eyes commanding aunty Tee to apologize. I was marveled. I never actually knew he could flex such control over his family for mum's sake.

"I guess I have to say sorry if I was maybe part of the issue which led to your break up" she unwillingly said. Well better than nothing right? I felt that way but uncle didn't.

"I guess then you should shut your mouth if you are not so sure you were part of the problem leading to the separation" Uncle fired back. She turned to look at dad who gave her a devilish look. She bowed her head.

A subtle knock on the door forced all present to tilt their heads towards the sound, with worry etched on all faces, pondering on who it could be. I attended to it and was elated to see who it was.

She walked into the sitting room and took a chair beside mum, holding her hands. The look on mum's face was priceless.

"You know this party isn't happening without me!" she said boastfully.

"Who told you about this meeting?" Mum and uncle asked in unison. They had conspired never to let her in into the meeting but to only inform her of the outcome later on, gladly I overheard them.

"It doesn't matter, does it? the only thing that matters right now is that I am here" She replied with broad smiles.

"Did you inform your aunt?" mum asked me, fixing her say-the-truth look in my eyes, I just nodded.

"Spare the poor girl" aunt Tobi said pulling me to herself. "As far as I am concerned, she is the only one who is very keen on looking out for you". I quietly sat beside her. "Let us continue" she said.

Mum and dad knew that with my aunt Tobechukwu, it's going to be trouble. My Uncle Stan is very hot tempered but forgives easily just like my mum, but aunt Tobi is very different. They said she took after grandpa, this was why I actually involved her.

I didn't want my dad and his family to feel like they can walk in and out on my mum anytime and any day while she keeps watch, waiting for them to take her back and decide her life. I don't want my dad to see it that after the physical, emotional and mental pain he caused my mum, that a simple sorry from him to her could erase it all and make everything brand new again. Even the bible said that every sin has a consequence right? So should this height of irresponsibility be with no consequence?

He was having fun and was ready to remarry, and now? He wants her back because he has seen she has developed far beyond his imagination both physically, emotionally and financially. And just like I asked mum, would he have cared for a second, to come back crawling for mum if he had seen her wrecked and a beggar? We all know the answer!

The meeting progressed as dad cried his eyes out pleading for forgiveness. At a point he knelt down and cralwed to mum asking her to remember all the good old days and give him another final chance. Mum had started crying by now and I was sure the next act was going to be a bonding kiss and happy forever after, and honestly, it wasn't the scene I wanted. Call me evil and wicked but I wanted my dad to pass through some sort of emotional and mental stress equal to the one he made my mum pass through.

I know everyone would be wondering where my siblings were while the meeting was ongoing? Well I had sent Zara and the twin off to be with or help at mum's shop. Mum had remembered that dad rejected the twin at birth and therefore wasn't ready to let him see them first until the meeting was over. According to her the outcome of the meeting would determine whether he would see them or not.

While dad was still knee bent crying to mum, mum threw her face away from him but that didn't last up to two minutes as she had to hold him up and guide him to his seat. Thank goodness the crying didn't end up with a kiss. First hurdle passed.

Aunt Tobi hasn't spoken since after her wonderful entrance. She had been quiet and listening to mum and dad as they trash out their issues with Uncle Stan and grandma acting as intermediaries. She had been busy sizing up the trouble looming ahead.

"I have been listening to both of you, especially you Emeka. You both have talked about where you feel are gray areas and I can sense that my sister is willing , infact very willing to forgive and let go for the sake of society and God but I have these simple questions to ask you" she said breaking up their conversation.

I could see dads throat move up and down, as he swallows hard spits. He adjusted on his seat,  a movement that shows him being uncomfortable with what was coming. He knew that whatsoever aunty was going to ask would either make or mar him, the later would actually be more accurate.

"First, what happens to your supposed fiancé? Finally and most importantly, what mess is my sister expected to clean up assuming you guys come back together? I mean it's been seven years right?" Aunty finished, leaning back on the couch and fixing her gaze on dad.

Dad coughed, clearing his throat. Slowly and carefully he replied "As for Nkay, I have explained to her that I can't marry her as I am still married legally and religiously to your sister, and I still want to keep my vow going" He replied throwing mum a pleading glance. "Ehh for the mess area you spoke about, I don't actually understand what you mean but if she accepts me back this time around, I believe there is no hurdle we can't survive" dad said in a rather defensive tone.

Something was amiss.
****

Hi all

A new chapter will be up in a day. It's a makeup for not posting last week. I had issues with my system, sorry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 1.7K 31
Ibrahim, an easy going man who can sacrifice his happiness, if it means his son gets to have a mother. Maryam, a broken soul who found happiness i...
83.5K 3.8K 20
I limped towards the kitchen after sending him an email, that I'm on leave today. I couldn't even able to walk properly as I was feeling sore down th...
2.3K 676 25
*NOT EDITED.* *•••••*I've heard a lot about Abroad. The US specifically... Can you imagine my surprise when my mom told my sister and I one evening...
275K 9.4K 57
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ★★★ "Stop moving and stay still." "Then tell me where we are going then," I replied, getting annoye...