Empress Xie

By xSleepIsForTheDeadx

The last thing I did before slipping in the bathroom and dying was read a reincarnation novel, so my last tho... More

Empress Xie•1
Empreas Xie•2
Empress Xie•3
Empress Xie•4
Empress Xie•5
Empress Xie•6
Empress Xie •7
Empress Xie•8
Empress Xie•9
Empress Xie•10
Empress Xie•11

Prologue

1.3K 34 18
By xSleepIsForTheDeadx

Xie Lien

If you read the synopsis, then I assume you know what kind of story you're in for.

Modern girl reincarnates into some unknown period of ancient China and gets a dose of the schemes and tricks she's so often read about in novels, rises in a harsh society with sheer willpower and wit, battles against those jealous of her, finds love, and rightfully takes her place as the empress.

If you expected any of the above then you're in the wrong book.

Yes I reincarnated into an unknown period of China, but I'm not so stupid as to initiate a plot and get myself into that gilded snake cage.

An awkward potato like me won't last a day.

In this world, I am known as Xie Lien, the legitimate and second daughter of the right prime minister of the Jun Qi empire. Due to my otherworldly looks, I am not allowed to leave the residence, as my parents' often say even beauty is a curse of its own.

My father is Xie Ran. From what I hear, he's very favored by his majesty for his unbiased nature and has proffered many solutions to disasters in the past.

Mother's name is Cai Yi Yi. She's the legitimate daughter of the minister of trade, but gramps is a randy and greedy man so I don't like him much.

I've also got an older brother named Xie Long. He's the pride of our family and is only 19, but is slowly debuting into officialdom. I especially love this genius brother who dotes on me and spoils me rotten because he feels bad I can't go outside.

Father has two concubines, Shen and Wang Yiniang1. Shen Yiniang was apparently taken in as a concubine as a favor to her father who helped Xie Ran out in the past, and Wang Yiniang came in because grandma insisted back when she was alive. Shen Yiniang has one daughter who is my older sister, Xie Bo. And Wang Yiniang gave birth to my younger sister Xie Diu.

It's been 14 years since my reincarnation, and while I greatly enjoy my carefree life, recently I've been feeling very anxious and troubled.

"Second miss looks sad." I raised my eyes and met Shen Yiniang's mocking eyes. "Is second miss troubled by those awful rumors?"

Since I'm always shut in, the whole capital of Da Wei insists I'm incredibly ugly and look like a demon. I've never voiced this, but I feel Xie Bo is involved in those rumors. I caught the edge of mother's lips twitch in irritation, but father did not notice their indirect jab at my poor reputation.

Father was grandmother's only child and grew up in a residence with no step-siblings or concubines. He's formidable in court, but rather helpless in the inner courtyard, so as far as he's concerned Shen Yiniang is genuinely worried about me.

Before I could reply, Xie Long spoke, "Meimei2 do not let those rumors bother you. Those gossipmongers would spit blood if they ever saw you." I smiled at this brother who could not tolerate even a grain of sand in my pretty eyes and said, "Gege3 does not need to worry. Lien'Er4 is not bothered by simple rumors. They're baseless and those who believe or spread them are obviously no different from an uNcUltUrED sWiNe." I glanced at Shen Yiniang when I said the last part and was amused by the way her face contorted.

"Lien'Er is right." Father said proudly, "Simply because one does not see does not make it so, and spreading rumors like that is most likely the work of some lousy people with no sense." I almost choked on my restrained laughter as Xie Bo openly glared at me.

I always knew those wuxia novels would save me someday.

Dinner concluded and I was about to make my way back to my plum blossom courtyard when I felt a hand on my shoulder. It's Xie Diu. She's only younger than me with a year, but I dare say she's even more malicious and wretched than Xie Bo.

Xie Diu's mother is from a scholarly family, so Xie Diu is very calm and refined. Her beauty is like a white lily, delicate and precious in its simplicity. Too bad she loses her charm with that 'holier than thou' character of hers. "Second sister will you join me for some tea?" Xie Diu and I had been rather close when we were younger, but those times were behind us and now the conflict between us could even be felt in the air.

"Unfortunately, I'm tired and wish to rest early. Perhaps another time." Without waiting for a reply, I began walking back to my courtyard, but could still feel Xie Diu's dark eyes burning the back of my head.

"Second miss," my maid, Zhou Xia, spoke, "when did third miss ever wish to have to have tea with you?" As one of my most trusted, Zhao Xia is naturally very clear on these kind of things.

"Don't know. If it were Xie Bo, one has to say she wants to show off some rare tea or tease me about my reputation. Xie Diu is always so quiet and reserved so it's hard to read her." I replied.

"Nubi5 will tell Zhou Li to investigate." I nodded in acknowledgement. While I lay in bed, my four trusted maids, Zhou Xia, Zhou Li, Zhou Caihong, and Zhou Qing6 tidied up and left.

I tossed and turned in bed, wondering what in the world caused this nagging feeling in my chest.

~~*~~

"Xiao7 Long will not be going to court anymore?!" Cai Yi Yi asked incredulously. Xie Ran nodded and waited for the information to sink in.

"The succession war is getting too fierce. Already fifth prince attempted to pull Xiao Long to his side, but he carefully refused the prince's proposal. Our family is always neutral, if his majesty believes we have taken sides..." Xie Ran didn't finish, but Cai Yi Yi shivered. The emperor had always been respectful to them for Xie Ran's unbiased judgement and contributions over the years, but a monarch was anything if not suspicious.

"Husband made a good decision. Does anyone know fifth prince contacted Long'Er?" Xie Ran shook his head and Cai Yi Yi sighed in relief. "I'll worth my brothers and say Xie Long is still inexperienced and wants to learn more."

"It will also be wise to find him a wife. Those ministers are like wolves, and I don't want his majesty suspicious enough to issue an imperial edict to force Xiao Long into marriage." Xie Ran sighed. He felt bad for Xie Long who loved the court and only thirsted for knowledge, but the succession war is no game. Every official and prince was looking to recruit more power, and pulling in the neutral Xie family would gain them a huge advantage.

Xie Ran lay back in bed and let Cai Yi Yi massage his back. This woman who he loved more than life, and the children who warmed his heart and made him smile, he merely wanted to protect them and make them happy. "Husband has worked very hard." Cai Yi Yi spoke after sensing her husband's thoughts. "Do not worry much, you already have enough grey hairs." Xie Ran turned around and flicked her forehead, smiling as he noticed her Phoenix eyes alight with mischief.

~~*~~

Initially, there were fourteen princes and ten princesses. As time went on, only four princes and three princesses remained, two of which have married off.

Emperor Jun Qi Ming often felt tired nowadays. As a youth, this imperial throne and dragon robes had made him slaughter his brothers and eventually his father.

The day all of Jun Qi bowed and he sat on this throne was supposed to be a day of relief and victory. He thought his sleep would be restful and his days fulfilled now that all the world was in the palm of his hand. On that day, all he felt was a solemn emptiness as he wondered why he ever wanted to seat on the throne. The view was not satisfying as he thought it would be.

When he thought the fight was over, his consorts began to wrestle with the empress, and soon it was his sons and daughters framing and killing each other till only four remained. At times, Jun Qi Ming would smile deprecatingly and remember his father bleeding on the floor while staring at him with mirthful eyes, like he was laughing at a joke Jun Qi Ming could not understand.

"Your majesty, is this not a good time to bring third prince back to the capital?" Minister Taio shook when the emperor's face darkened. Everyone knew the emperor did not favor third prince Jun Qi Fai born from the even more unfavored Consort Mo.

Minister Taio is one of crown prince's people, so he subtly glanced at Jun Qi Chen for help. "One agrees with minister Taio." The first/crown spoke, "Imperial grandmother's birthday is on the day of the cherry blossom festival, and one has not seen third brother in five years."

Xie Ran did not speak, but understood what was going on. Third prince had been protecting the southern border for five years now on the emperor's command. That prince is hailed as a hero by some and demon by others, and has accumulated great military strength over the years. He had no support in court, and his temperament was unknown, so it only made sense that the other princes would be wary of him. Requesting him to return was for three reasons;

1. To limit his hold over the military.
2. To gauge his temperament and ambition.
3. To coax him into a faction if possible.

Xie Ran and Jun Qi Ming had figured this out form the beginning, but the other officials only did when crown prince spoke. Immediately, the tides changed and they all began to agree and plead for the third prince's return.

"Official Ran." Not even a breath followed after the emperor spoke. "What is your opinion?" The officials held their breath, knowing that Xie Ran's words could make or break their plea.

"This official agrees. Third prince should return to Da Wei and show filial piety to the empress dowager."

Jun Qi Ming stared at Xie Ran for a bit then said, "Is that so? Zhen8 will consider this more. We shall conclude here for today." Jun Qi Ming waved his sleeve and turned around to leave, but only Xie Ran took notice of the subtle hand sign.

Some time after and Xie Ran was led into the imperial study by taijian9 Chin. All other maids and eunuchs were gone, and after eunuch Chin left, Xie Ran was left bowing to the figure seating up on the platform. "You surprised me Ran. Zhen thought you of all people would oppose. Does Ran wish to take sides now?" The words were said playfully, but those sharp eyes were not joking.

"Not at all. One spoke for his majesty's good." Jun Qi Ming signaled for Xie Ran to continue. "Third prince has been at the border for five years now, does his majesty not worry fifth prince not only have power, but ambition as well? Also, the other princes' intentions are clear, which is why one agreed that third prince should return and be under his majesty's eyes then to be contacted and recruited in secret while he is away."

"What if third prince has already been swayed?" In front of Xie Ran, Ju Qi Ming allowed the worry to show on his face.

"Then his majesty can take action as he wishes and take third prince's military tally when he returns to Da Wei. Third prince is also at a disadvantage. He has no support in court, and without his tally he will not dare offend his majesty. The princes will also become wary and distant themselves from third prince."

It was times like this that Jun Qi Ming considered killing Xie Ran. As youths they'd studied together and while they'd never call one another friends, there was a familiarity that eased Jun Qi Ming's heart. But, if that mind were to ever turn against him...

"As ever, you have enlightened zhen." Jun Qi Ming smiled and set aside his worry. For now. "Zhen will follow for advice."

Xie Ran bowed and turned to leave. As he took a step out the door, he turned around and said, "Your majesty, there seems to be something on your imperial robes." Jun Qi Ming foolishly began to search but saw nothing. He pinned Xie Ran with a questioning look, but the prime minister only smiled cheekily and said. "Forgive this minister's foolishness, it's only a big dung beetle wearing imperial robes."

Xie Ran left before the tea cup could make contact with his head.

A/N: K so this is my first time writing a Chinese novel, so I'm going to ask you all to go easy on me and correct me if I make any mistakes.

1: Yiniang is used to refer to concubines of a noble house. Only the main wife is referred to as "mother" even by the concubine's children.
2: little/younger sister.
3: older/big brother.
4: means child and is used to express endearment or familiarity.
5: the way a female servant refers to herself.
6: the maid's are not related but I've read that it's common for masters to rename their servants upon purchasing them and maid's serving the same master often receive the same surname.
7: Xiao is also a term of endearment or familiarity.
8: An emperor's way of referring to himself. It takes the place of "I and we" in his speech.
9: taijian are not eunuchs but castrated men who occupy certain positions in the palace and court.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326K 12.5K 57
After being reincarnated into a world of otome game as a villainess character, I fell in the routine situation of death flags+broke engagement. The p...
16.6K 928 29
A/N: Had a bout of inspiration; may edit and then republish some time later after finishing writing another story, since I'm more focused on my other...
330 32 5
I've always yearned to be at the top, who doesn't really? But it's different for me. Being the best wasn't a dream or a goal, it was an obsession. An...
816K 32.6K 78
"Did you really think that it was going to be easy to get rid of me?" he raises an eyebrow as I was pushed against the wall. "There isn't anywhere yo...