A Penny For Your Thoughts

By BrandonWong048

As an accountant, Dylan Reed's life revolves around revenues and expenses. Until a trivial encounter brings h... More

Foreword
BEFORE
1. Live A Little
2. When Opportunity Knocks
3. Home Sweet Home
4. Meet The Campbells
5. Musée Mécanique Magic
7. Stinson Beach Sunrise
8. A New Arrangement
9. Sink Or Swim
10. Everything Has Changed
AFTER
11. The Road Ahead
12. Trial And Error
13. A Welcomed Surprise

6. Wine And Dine

226 19 7
By BrandonWong048

One of my writing quirks is to prominently address a unique or under the radar spot within the city of the story (see: Sebastian Joe's in "Playing By The Rules"). The choice here is Lazy Bear, a restaurant unlike many others in the world. What sets it apart? Read on to find out!
***

Returning to Armstrong & Lynch on Monday felt like a brand new experience. I was still dedicated towards completing my work to the best of my abilities, but no longer at the expense of my personal time. I didn't feel the urge to be the first to enter and the last to leave. The emergence of Penny made me realize that I had to redistribute my time. Work was important, but so was spending time with people that I enjoyed seeing.

It should be a fifty-fifty split, but at this moment, the latter definitely had priority over the former.

It didn't feel like much had changed. I still came into work every morning at eight o'clock sharp and worked on my cases with an unrelenting dedication for the rest of the day. The only difference was that I left at the end of my scheduled shift as opposed to extending my stay into the late hours of the evening. A very subtle change, but not one that went unnoticed by my colleagues at work.

A few days into my new routine, there was a knock on my door, followed by a polite, "Can I come in?"

I looked up from my files and saw Paul standing in the doorway, the slightest hint of a smile evident on the corner of his lips. His benevolent figure was always a welcomed presence.

"Come in," I called out to Paul, quickly setting aside the files on my table to make space.

Paul strolled in and took a seat on the other side of my desk. His expression was relaxed. The gentle wrinkles that denoted his age like tree rings were hardly discernable. Paul seemed to be delighted today.

"How's the McKinnon case coming along?" Paul asked, referring to my current project.

"Smoothly," I replied. "We're right on schedule with where we're supposed to be."

"As expected. You're always on top of your projects."

"I do my best."

"I know," Paul acknowledged, before slowly angling the conversation towards the main subject. "It looks like having some time off was helpful for you."

Reflecting back on our initial conversation, my reluctance to take this break seemed foolish. I was long overdue for some changes in my daily routine, and resetting my perspective - with some help from Penny - made me more well rounded. It even made me feel more productive at work.

"You were right," I admitted. "I needed a break from work. There's so much more out there for me."

I wholeheartedly stood behind that last sentence. It wasn't just about Penny, although she was undeniably a huge influence on my understanding of proper work-life balance. It was also the plethora of experiences that I was missing out on, and the tiny daily interactions that I was overlooking, because of my narrow focus.

There was a Chinese story about a frog that dwelled at the bottom of a well, and how its perspective of the world was hampered by the limiting structure, leading to unintended ignorance. I found myself in a similar predicament. In my case, an extreme dedication to work was the metaphorical well, obstructing my view of everything that was around me and limiting my knowledge to that which existed within the confines of my well.

Paul's decision to let me out, even though I protested the notion at first, was a blessing in disguise. It opened my eyes to the many sights and sounds that made San Francisco unique. There were many reasons why the city was a famed visitor destination, most of which I didn't know up until these past two weeks.

There were many people who came to San Francisco for the breathtaking views. The city was cast in a subdued shade of white under the morning fog, a crisp blue from the water during the day, and a beautiful array of orange and gold come sunset. The flowers of Lombard Street were vibrant in every color of the rainbow. Plenty of colorful houses in the Haight-Ashbury area or intricate murals in the Mission District made for perfect backdrops in a social media post.

Yet it was the finer details that really encapsulated the energy and essence of the city. Much like many European cities, biking is a popular mode of transportation to get around town. Many locals celebrate their pride in a judgment free space. Craft beers and artisanal eateries are more prevalent that most other American city. These subtle qualities helped to build character, making San Francisco a city that emitted a certain aura and reputation from its name alone. People certainly came for the landmarks, but they also came for the local experience.

I didn't know any of this beforehand. All I knew was how to prepare account entries and compile financial information into readable documents. As I said, I was missing out on a lot in life.

Paul nodded thoughtfully, evidently proud of his handiwork. "Well I'm glad to hear that bit of reflection, Dylan. I think this experience will serve you well moving forward. There are great things ahead of you."

"You're too kind, Paul."

"I'm serious. You have the ability to do amazing things. I'm going to make sure you realize that potential before I retire."

"There's still a lot of time then."

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear," Paul quoted, before giving a short but hearty laugh. "In this case, the object is retirement."

"The last time we talked, you said you still had some gas left in the tank."

"I do, but some isn't exactly an accurate definition, is it? You can't quantify some. Just like you can't quantify how many days I have left in this office. I'm not about to retire tomorrow, but it's not like I will be here for another decade. At some point, it's time to ride off into the sunset and enjoy some quality bonding time with my wife. I'm sure she will appreciate that."

"I'm sure she will."

"Enough about me," Paul announced as he stood up. "Just keep what I said in mind. I came in to check on your progress, and it looks like everything is going well. Keep it up, Dylan."

"Will do," I replied as I brought the files back to the center of the table. As soon as Paul was out of my office, it was back to work as usual.

At five o'clock, when my scheduled shift was up, I finished up the lines of calculations that I had been working on. The project wasn't complete, but I had made good progress and put myself slightly ahead of schedule. That was good for a day's work. I would have more time later in the week to wrap up the whole project.

For now, it was time to heed Paul's advice and spend some quality time with those who are important to me.

"Hey, Penny. Are you finished with work? Do you want me to pick you up for dinner?"

"Sure!" Penny replied cheerfully. "I'm just tidying up and will be ready to go in just a moment. Do you want to meet me at the boardwalk?"

"I'll be right there."

"See you soon!"

"See you soon, Penny."

Penny's voice brought me much excitement. I had been thinking about her for some time during today's shift and was quite looking forward to seeing her. I quickly grabbed my messenger bag and my keys, before heading towards the staff parking lot to retrieve my car.

I whistled a little tune as the engine of my car came to life. Work went smoothly and I was wrapping up my evening by meeting Penny for dinner. This was shaping up to be a spectacular day.

The weather seemed to be a reflection of my mood. As I turned on to Broadway, I noted that the sunshine was out once again, reminiscent to my first meeting with Penny on the cable car. I rolled down my window and was prompted greeted by a gust of wind blowing in from the waterfront. A beautiful day for a beautiful mood.

I arrived outside the Pier 39 boardwalk within minutes. In all honesty, I could have easily walked from my workplace to Penny's, but I wanted to drive today because of the dinner spot that I had chosen. Securing a spot at the pop-up restaurant was no easy feat, but I was thrilled to have done just that. I was certain that Penny would enjoy the surprise as well.

The lady of the hour was already standing by the large crab sculpture that marked the entrance of the famed pier. She waved at me as soon as she spotted my silver vehicle in the logjam of cars driving down The Embarcadero. I could see the Ghirardelli apron in her hands, all rolled up to avoid detection.

Penny looked nice, as she always seemed to do. She was sporting a stylish red dress with matching heels. I had told Penny to dress up for a special occasion, and she answered the call. Despite her spruced up look, Penny still retained the casual confidence to her appearance. I found it to be quite charming.

Penny also smelled pleasant. A waft of a light citrus scent, like ripened California oranges, reached my nose the moment she stepped into the car. A most welcoming aroma indeed.

"Hey, Dylan. How was work?" Penny asked.

"It was pretty good. The project is moving along smoothly. Better than I had planned, actually. How was work for you?"

"That's good to hear! Work was the same as usual for me. Busy with all the tourists around, but so much fun to talk to them. Time goes by so quickly at work."

I couldn't say the same if I was in her position. I respected all lines of occupation, but that didn't mean I was able to succeed in all of them. Retail was one that I found immensely challenging, considering the amount of human interaction that was involved. I had seen firsthand how difficult certain customers could be when their wants weren't satisfied.

Of course, Penny wasn't me. Thankfully. She genuinely enjoyed the presence of others and was fantastic at making people feel comfortable. Her personality and demeanor was the perfect fit for retail. There probably weren't too many customers who could make Penny uncomfortable.

"So where are we going?" Penny grinned. I thought she would enjoy the suspense of a surprise, and it seemed as though I was right.

"Lazy Bear."

I left Penny with only the name of the restaurant to keep the suspense intact. Or perhaps to intensify it. Lazy Bear might have sounded like the name of a gentlemen's club, but it was actually one of the most coveted dinner spots in all of San Francisco. Part of its appeal stemmed from the unique business model. With seating for only forty people in two communal style tables and a fourteen course set dinner, there was simply nothing like Lazy Bear anywhere else in the city.

Getting our feet in the door was no easy task. The pop-up style, two Michelin starred restaurant frequently sold out their tickets for the month in a day, despite the higher end price point. Tens of thousands of people were on their mailing list, waiting to snap up a slot or two when it was available. I didn't stand a chance against these eager diners.

I was fortunate enough that Stephen, one of my fellow co-workers at Armstrong & Lynch, had a pair of tickets for this evening. Stephen wasn't particular keen on missing the event, but with the right amount of persuasion, he finally sold the tickets to me.

Making the deal with Stephen was rather financially costly. The two tickets set my wallet back quite a bit, but the money that I made from working at Armstrong & Lynch was meant to be spent, and I believed that this was a worthwhile trade. Penny wasn't the type of girl to be impressed by flaunting wealth, so I didn't acquire the tickets with that notion in mind. I wanted us to attend this dinner event because I believed that she would truly enjoy the night for what it was worth.

I parked the car a block away from the Mission District restaurant and we walked the rest of the way. As we strolled down San Carlos Street, Penny looped her arm through mine and gave my hand a quick little squeeze to show her excitement. She grinned throughout the entire ride and it carried over to our walk. It was easy to tell when Penny was happy.

We were prompted welcomed by the host, who offered us a glass of punch, and taken inside to join the other patrons for the full experience. The restaurant itself was a trendy, two storey space with an upper space where we gathered for cocktail hour. Framed photos, a brown sectional sofa, and a small fireplace in the corner gave the area a cozy environment, perfect for starting conversations with the other strangers in attendance. It was, after all, a communal style dinner where everyone sat together and ate the same meals. Conversations were inevitable.

As expected, Penny thrived in this environment. She walked around the crowd and socialized with several other members. Their conversation was fluid and on several occasions, I could hear Penny's laughter fill the mezzanine. She quickly became the life of the party, with a few more people gravitating towards her.

I was content with staying by the chairs that overlooked the main floor, anticipating the fine dining that was to follow. Cocktail hour had been a revelation, with mouthwatering snacks paired with different types of aperitifs. The Shigoku oysters were a personal favorite, as the addition of kiwis and chickweed gave the oysters a refreshing flavor. As Penny chatted away with others, I worked my way through the food options that were being offered.

Penny and I might not have been doing things together, but I was completely comfortable with that idea. We were both adults, and responsible ones at that. Neither of us needed to be coddled or looked after at every moment. The ability to work individually reflected our maturity.

When the chef beckoned for us to follow him downstairs for the main course, Penny came back and looped her arm around mine in that familiar intimacy. We were good apart, but definitely better together.

Penny and I sat across from each other at the table. Seating was assigned so we didn't have a choice, but we were completely in agreement with this arrangement. As opposed to sitting adjacent to each other, my attention could be kept on Penny without isolating ourselves from the conversation at the table. It was a win-win situation.

The chefs came around routinely to describe the dishes that were being served. Discussions flowed freely among the diners. Some people took notes in the booklet that was provided by the restaurant. It was a dinner party environment, much like the host had promised. The casual setting and gourmet plates were a great way to unwind after a day of work.

To add on to the dinner party atmosphere, there were no barriers between the dining area and the kitchen, allowing for walk up access to socialize with the hard working team behind the meal. Many of the diners, including Penny, took advantage of this opportunity to talk to and learn from the professionals. They must have had fascinating minds to envision innovative and colorful dishes such as squab with blueberries and mushrooms.

I held steadfast to my seat. I did make some small talk with those beside me, but knowing my own shortcomings, didn't really expand much beyond that. Conversing was a work in progress, especially now that I was in the company of Penny, but it wasn't a quick fix. Baby steps like these were needed in order to move onwards.

The whole dinner took about three hours, but it certainly didn't feel like it. We were thoroughly entertained by the constant chatter - a shareable platter of desserts helped to keep the discussion flowing from start to finish - and the high energy made time fly by in the blink of an eye. By the time Penny and I bid the host farewell and reached for the door, we were both in high spirits and full of good food.

"That was a lot of fun," Penny remarked as we walked back towards the car. "Thank you for taking me here."

"I'm glad to hear that you had a good time."

Penny leaned in and gave me a peck on the cheek. My face tingled at the point of contact. She had the ability to make me feel warm on the inside.

"Of course," she murmured. "I had a great time. Everything about the dinner - the food, the wine, the people - was fantastic. You didn't have to do all that, though. I can't imagine that the dinner was economical."

"It wasn't," I told Penny. I didn't want to give her the impression that I was the type of person to lie to her, no matter how trivial the topic. "It was a little pricey, but in my opinion, that was money well spent. I didn't look at the spendings from a cost based approach, but rather, a value based approach. Did the purchase provide more value than the monetary loss? Yes. You are far more valuable to me than any sum of money."

Penny giggled at my little speech. I was actually quite proud of myself for putting a few congruent sentences together to profess my feelings for Penny, but her reaction was not what I expected. I wondered whether I had said something that was better omitted.

"You are so cute, Dylan." Another kiss on the cheek, this one lingering for an extra second or two. Had her lips stayed on my skin for any longer, she would have definitely felt the rapid rise in temperature. "It is also very obvious that you're an accountant, too. I don't think many other men would use a value based approach to describe their feelings for a woman."

Panic was just about to set in when Penny added, "Thank goodness I'm a sucker for smart men who are honest with their feelings."

I let out a sigh of relief. Predicting Penny's next lines was practically impossible. I supposed that was part of her quirk and charm, the same way that she was humored by my straightforward, analytical approach.

The drive to Lazy Bear was enjoyable, but the drive from the restaurant to Penny's was even better. Two sentimental love songs filled the car for the short ten minute trip, and I had Penny's hand in mine the entire time. Outside the windows, clear skies and a light breeze - the predominant weather in the past few weeks - added to the soothing environment, and I wished that this drive never ended.

Eventually I turned on to the sloped street that housed Penny's home, and it was time to bid her goodnight. I parked along the curb in front of her place, the large draping tree on the sidewalk casting a shadow across the width of my car.

Penny undid her seatbelt and turned to face me. Her face was partially reflected by the street lamp, but parts of it remained hidden in the night. I could make out the brown eyes and the freckles that dotted her cheekbones, but nothing more than a silhouette by her chin. The contrast made her look incredibly attractive.

"I can't stress this enough, but I had a great night, Dylan. Thank you for taking me out."

"The pleasure is all mine. It was really good to see you again."

Penny tapped her fingers against the gear stick, seemingly slightly nervous as she remarked, "Well if you ever want to see me again, all you have to do is let me know. I don't think I'll be seeing anyone like this anytime soon . . . " Her voice tailed off as she let her sentence sink in.

The hints were there, with the little kisses and everything, but Penny wasn't about to let a moron like me misinterpret the situation. She was telling me that she was fully committing to a serious relationship.

And so was I.

"I don't want to see anyone besides you, either. Romantically, of course. I'd still like to see my parents and my co-workers."

Penny laughed. Not the giggle from before, but a full belly laugh. She laughed so hard that the corners of her eyes began to brim with tears. I reckoned that my romantic skills required some much needed improvement. The goal might have been Jack Dawson, but I wound up as Jordan Belfort. Missed the mark by a large margin.

If every missed dart made Penny this jubilant, however, I didn't want to hit the board ever again. Watching her laugh uncontrollably in the passenger seat made me laugh along with her, even though I couldn't tell whether the laughter was with me or at me.

As suddenly as it started, Penny stopped laughing. She leaned over the gear stick, cupped my face with her hands, and kissed me. I was surprised when her lips touched mine, but I quickly recovered and returned her affection.

The kiss was short but sweet. Penny's lips were smooth as silk and her kiss was delicate. The tenderness in her action was a reflection of her affection. Penny might have been scared to be caught by her parents - even at twenty four, living at home meant that some things weren't that different from the teenage years - but she wasn't scared to show me how much she cared. In the brief moments that our lips touched, it was as though she telepathically told me that she had strong feelings for me. I hoped that she received the same message from me.

Penny pulled away, and I took a few deep breaths for air. She seemed a little flustered as well. Penny might have been daring, but perhaps this kiss took her by surprise as well. The wine from tonight might have been guilty for providing Penny with this sudden courage.

"That was nice," I commented.

"Mhmm."

"Um . . . " I wasn't really sure what to say after a kiss. I wasn't the most experienced person in any group in this department. My last kiss came well over a decade ago.

"I think I should get going," Penny announced.

"Yeah, um, I mean no. Maybe yeah. I don't know." I didn't want to hold Penny up, but I didn't want to seem like I was eager for her to go, but I also didn't want her parents to have suspicious thoughts about me being with their daughter, but I also wanted to spend some more time with her. It was a difficult dilemma that I didn't have a solution to.

"It's late, Dylan. I should probably go."

"Wait."

With whatever courage I could muster, I leaned over and surprised Penny with a kiss of my own. She was shocked for a brief second, but just me, quickly recovered to kiss me back. Penny's hands rested behind my head as our lips moved together with a greater degree of passion.

Everything was heightened from our previous kiss. Penny's hair slipped in between the space that existed between my fingers, each strand flowing smoothly like fine grains of sand in an hourglass. My heart was pounding in an accelerating manner. Not beat, as one normally would, but pound. Had the radio in the car been off, we would have undoubtedly been kissing to the sound of the bass drum located deep within my chest. As our lips continued to move in unison, I could taste the sherry from the dinner off of Penny's lips. Her citrus scented perfume added another layer to a complex sensory experience for me. I kept my eyes shut, wanting to engrave this feeling and every sensation that I was experiencing into the depths of my memory, for this was the moment that I had been dreaming of since I was a child.

To kiss the woman of my dreams under the moonlight of a perfect evening.

No matter what was ahead for the two of us, I knew that we would always have this moment to cherish. The first kiss that wasn't truly our first kiss.

When we finally pulled away again, I was at a complete loss of breath. I felt like I had ran a full marathon in the span of our kiss. It was a magical sensation, a full roller coaster ride filled with ups and downs, a tango of our lips with its fiery enthusiasm and effortless fluidity. It was everything that I had hoped for and then some.

"I should really get going," Penny breathed, the grin on her face wider than ever before.

"Okay. I'll call you soon?"

"Text me when you get home, and maybe tomorrow we can plan something for next time?"

I was ecstatic to hear that she was already thinking about next time. "Sounds like a plan."

Penny opened the car door and stepped out, but not before turning around and giving me one last look. "Goodnight, Dylan."

"Goodnight, Penny."

Penny basically skipped the entire way to the door. I watched as her orange hair bobbed against her shoulder until it disappeared behind the white front door of her house. Seeing her excitement gave me a much needed confidence boost. I knew that I was socially awkward. I was terrible at reading social cues and often said the wrong things, as evident by the several occasions in which Penny laughed tonight. Yet despite my flaws, I knew that I must have been doing something right.

If someone like Penny, who had all the right things going for her, would choose me in a crowd of a million eligible men, I couldn't have been all that bad.

***
Quick check in on pacing, character, descriptions, etc. Any thoughts on what works and what doesn't? For me, I'm really liking the characters and their contrast. It's a lot of fun to write about Dylan and Penny.

This was a difficult chapter to write. Not for the length of the chapter - 4k is the new 2k for this story - but for making sure that I nailed down all the fine details and portraying things as I envisioned them to be. SF is a visually stunning city and I wanted to do it justice. Fun fact: I had about a thousand words down before I realized I didn't like the direction of the chapter and restarted.

***
Join the conversation!
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: BrandonWong048

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.8K 5.6K 32
Easton Moore is back...and I'm his fake girlfriend. After leaving for the professional surfing tour the morning after we slept together, my childhood...
9.7M 218K 20
"Rose, I'm sorry, but your eyesight will be gone by the end of this year." Who knew one simple sentence could change a life so drastically? Rose is a...
11.8K 1.4K 22
Sometimes everyone needs to get away, right? Just become someone else for a while? Reed Halliwell washes up on the shores of Los Angeles, trying to e...
1.7K 115 27
There's this girl who has come to a whole new world, the city of dreams to explore and unleash herself, but something happens which changes in her li...