Things Change

By mrsmalfoy818

Hermione and Draco are forced into close proximity when they are made Head Prefects that share a common room... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 28

4.8K 161 52
By mrsmalfoy818

Hermione's POV

Everyone around us was staring. After a while it got unnerving. I put my glass down a little harder than necessary, and everyone jumped.

"What?" I said a little snappy, "I can't have lunch with a friend without it being some big ordeal?"

I'm pretty sure everyone got the hint and went back to eating. I smiled to myself. But it was still a weary mood, everyone was whispering, and it wasn't lively like usual.

Just then, Luna walked in. She looked over at us - the only two at the Slytherin table - and I swear she winked. She was smiling brightly, had she been late on purpose, knowing I would build up my courage?

Sometimes that girl amazes me. I mean, one moment she's talking about creatures that never have - and never will - exist, and then she's this knowledgeable girl, who seems to know the answers to all life's problem. I swear she has two personalities.

When I was down, I calmly put down my silverware, and stood up.

I turned to face him, "So, I'll see you in the common room?"

He nodded. I left.

Draco's POV

I knew I probably looked like a fool, opening and closing my mouth, but I didn't know what to say. And she smiles?

So many things were racing through my head.

What is she doing here? She sat next to me! What, is she crazy? She's sitting next to me! Why today, why now, why is she even here? And oh my, she's sitting next to me!

I don't know why I was so excited that she sat next to me, but I guess it was because it was different. No Gryffindor had ever sat at the Slytherin table willingly. At least, not in my books. But I was also confused as to why she even sat here.

Why can't that women just tell me what she wants? How the hell am I supposed to know if she doesn't tell me? Women are just so damn complicated, but she would be worth it.

I think.

Hermione's POV

My heart was pounding, worse than before, and I found myself trying to catch my breath. I feel like I had just accomplished something, broken a barrier. I - a Gryffindor - sat with Malfoy - a Slytherin. That stuff just didn't happen.

But I had done it anyway. I've always been one to do things differently.

But yet, this felt different.

I felt good about it, but something was stirring in my stomach. Not like I was going to be sick, but still there.

I calmed myself the way I know best, reading. I remembered the books I had bought. I had gotten it. A Dying Love. I remember Draco mentioning it way back, I wouldn't have remembered if I hadn't seen it. Then I remembered the conversation. He hadn't really told me what it was about, but I felt the urge to read it ever since he said something.

I sat down on the floor, close to the fire because it was cold for some reason. It's usually never cold, but oh well.

Draco's POV

After about five minutes I had reached the common room. Clearly, I was in no hurry. I wasn't quite ready to confront her yet.

But it was time now. I cast the spell, told Snape the password - he had been so quiet lately, and always looking at me with these weird looks - and slowly walked into the common room.

Hermione was lying by the fire reading a book, and the moment she saw me, she stuffed the book under her chest.

"What're'ya reading Granger? Some adult material is it?"

Her cheeks flared into scarlet red. "No!"

"Then why are you hiding it?" I asked while smirking and slowly walking towards her.

"No reason," she said in a small voice.

"Sure..." Suddenly all I had been thinking about was forgotten.

I pulled her up to her feet and tried to push her away, but she kicked the book across the room. And with surprising strength, pushed me back. She placed her small hands on my chest and tried to push me back, but was unsuccessful. I laughed and pulled out my wand, twirling it between my fingers.

"Magic Granger."

She scoffed, "Go ahead."

"Okay. Accio book." Only then did I realize my mistake. All the books, including the ones from our bedrooms - just every book in our space - came flying at me.  There had to be at least a hundred, flying at me, none really hit me - minus a few hits to the legs - just fell to my feet.

"Real smart, Draco, real smart," she said while supporting a goofy grin.

"Oh shut it," I told her, and playfully pushed her.

"I'm not the genius that messed up the whole common room."

"Just help me pick this up."

"Yeah, yeah," she waved her hand as if to say whatever, "come on."

We carried stacks of books to the book shelves, looking to see what they were. Most of them, we both had already read. As she was stacking books, I found something that caught my eye. The book. It must've came from my room. But it had a different cover...

I opened it, and scrawled there in that neat, curly writing, Hermione Granger.

That's weird, she just happens to have gotten my favorite book. I tried to think back, and it hit me. Romeo and Juliet. I faint remember saying something about it.

She must have walked over at one point, and she froze.

"Uh-"

But I saved her the trouble. "It's okay, Granger. It's just a book. But it's good isn't it?"

"Uh, yeah. It's...interesting, but I like it."

***

Finally we had put all the books back where we thought they came from.

Hermione was back on the floor reading her book. She put in down and spun around to look at me.

"You were right, ya know? This reminds me so much of Romeo and Juliet. Like Malinda loves Jack, but her parents won't let her be with him. It's kinda sad, don't you think? That two people, who love each other, can't even be together just because of their blood. That's screwed up."

That's what I'm saying! is what I wanted to say. But I nodded slightly and said, "Yeah." I wonder if she knew that she had like summed up my life at the moment. Well, almost. It's not so much as my parents, but everyone else. For one, my father is gone, and two, my mother is oblivious to everything so I don't think she's gonna care. But everyone else... that was a different story. But what should I care? I shouldn't care what they think, not when they don't care about what I think. They can't control me. But a part of me was still resistant. No, bad things will happen, it was screaming. But what "bad things" could really happen?
Hermione's POV

Draco seemed to be in some far off place when I called him, but he still managed to hear.

"Yes?"

"What are you thinking about," I asked.

"What do-"

"You're thinking, I can tell."

"Oh," he said and his lips formed a circle. "Well I just realized that you are totally right." No. "It is screwed up that two people can't be together just because of what they were born. I mean look at us." No, this is not happening. Not happening. His cheeks flared a little, but he continued. "You feel something for me." It was more of a fact that a question. "You feel something - anything - when you're with me. When I touch you." He put a hand on my thigh, he had sat in front of me. And he was right, my skin was tingling, and felt so warm. And butterflies appeared in my stomach. "When we're close." He leaned in so we we're breathing the same air. I could smell the mint of his toothpaste we were so close. The butterflies became worse. "When I do this." He cupped my head in his free hand, and I felt like I might puke. There is no way that this was actually happening. Slowly he leaned in, and I did too. His lips touched mine, just slightly, but they did, and all the nervousness went away as his lips brushed against mine. A sensation of a wild fire ripped through me. My whole body was tingling. And there was this burning sensation, but a good kind of burning. He slowly pulled back and looked into my eyes.

"What if," he said so low, it was almost a growled whisper, "I tell you I do too."
*A/N
OMG! THEY KISSED!!! I know that they did somewhere in the beginning but that was foolish of me so sorry about that, but I hoped this fit into everything all right. I knew I had to get some Dramione moments in here soon, so tada! I hoped you like this chapter. I might not be able to update for the next few days because I'm so busy with school and sports, hence the longish chapter and kiss scene, but hang in there. Don't give up on me. Anyway... comment and vote please! And I think this is perfect coming from Emma, because it's like Hermione.
"My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder."
-Emma Watson
*OxMrsMalfoyxO*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.6K 3K 31
Draco Malfoy is looking for a new start, hoping to set out to clear his name and begin again. Harry Potter is looking for a new normal, hoping to se...
183K 5.4K 11
Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy are appointed as head boy and girl in their final year. They go from sharing a common room to sharing a forbidden...
159K 2.4K 46
Draco Malfoy enemies to lovers story. Y/n and Draco are told that they have an arranged marriage, yet they are enemies. Will they be able to become...
17.8K 422 34
WARNING!! I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING!! NOT EVEN THE PLOT OR STORY!! CHARACTERS AND SETTING ALL BELONGS TO J.K. ROWLING! PLOT AND STORY AND WRITING ALL BEL...