Strike

Από Nycnewsgirl

❝every night that summer just to seal my fate❞ Hawking headlines, making ends meet, surviving until tomorrow... Περισσότερα

Carrying the Banner
The World Will Know
What Next
Seize the Day
The Brawl
The Refuge
Butterflies
King of New York
The Letter
Nothing Left But Hope
Once and For All
Victory
Home

Another Day

534 18 136
Από Nycnewsgirl

"So, whaddya think bout Davey?" Feister asked as she and Mush walked to their selling spot with their newspaper bags in tow. The sun was beating down hotter than ever, there wasn't a simple breeze, and the only shady spots were the stinky alleys. People hurried up and down the streets going about their business, while others were working hard to earn a living. "I mean can you believe 'im?" she then mimicked Davey when she said, "I'll pay you when I sell them." she laughed. But her laugh came out a little awkward.

Feister started kicking herself for sounding so dumb, and she didn't know why this was happening more and more. Ok, she knew exactly why it was happening. But the weird thing was that she's been friends with Mush for nine years! But all of a sudden when she starts liking him it becomes awkward. In the two years Feister's little crush came along, she started to think it was never going to happen. They were just friends, and that's all they ever were. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Yeah, I's bet he don't even know the first thing bout sellin'," Mush replied with a small laugh. Feister just nodded before looking away as she tucked a lose strand of hair out of her face. Mush just stuffed his hands in his pockets as kicked up a small rock. Usually something like that would make her laugh and then say something in that feisty tone he loves so much.

Maybe Feister's just tired from waking up so early, or maybe there was still some anger that was bubbling. Mush knew that even if Feister was still bubbling with anger he should just leave it alone, or risk the chances of making it worse. "Is everythin' ok?" Mush asked out of the blue.

"What?" Feister asked as she looked up at him.

"Ya seem a little off," he replied quietly with a shrug.

"I's fine, Mush brains," Feister replied, she gave a small smile before looking at the ground again. Mush saw this happen a lot more than usual, which got him thinking that...that maybe, just maybe that she....liked somebody. While she hasn't said anything, Mush couldn't help but think that Feister might have a crush on someone. He then started to think of the chances the other boys have. But he didn't think any of them were her type. Maybe it was that boy who bought a paper almost everyday, single, day. Every time that kid came by Mush felt his blood boil. Mush knew without a doubt that the kid was flirting with Feister, he could just see it in the way he looks at her. But, Mush was sure Feister wasn't aware of the flirting.

"C'mon, let's get ta work," Feister said as she slapped Mush with her paper. He slapped her back and they both ended up laughing, then it was off to work. "Extra! Extra! Cat burglary in Staten Island Estate!" Feister yelled as loud as possible. "Get it while it's still hot off the presses!" as soon as Feister yelled this a man quickly handed her a nickel before grabbing the paper and walked way.

The sun seemed to grow hotter and hotter with every passing moment. Feister felt all hot and sticky from the inside out, so she took off her cap and wiped her forehead. She then grumbled to herself after she realized what she just did. So stuffing the paper she was holding back in the bag, she then proceeded to put her cap back on and stuff her braids inside.

It was hard getting the first braid in, but Feister managed. Tucking in the second one was a bit harder since she didn't want the first one to fall. After a few tries and loud grumbles Feister managed to get both in. She tucked anything that was sagging in the back, and brushed away any fallen hairs before pulling her cap down so it wouldn't fall.

When Feister finished doing this she looked to see how Mush was doing. But instead of selling a newspaper she saw him take off his cap, wipe his forehead before slapping it back on with ease, and then smirked at her. Feister rolled her eyes since that's Mush's way of telling her that she should stop tucking her braids in.

When she turned back around she saw a familiar customer run up to her. A boy about her age (but he looks older than fifteen) with dark brown hair, and ocean blue eyes, came up. "Hey Feister," he greeted happily with a smile.

"Heya Scott," Feister replied with a smile.

"Anything good today?" he asked while gesturing to her paper bag.

Feister smirked as she pulled one out and said, "Only way ta find out is ta buy it." Scott laughed before tossing a penny into the air. Feister caught it in her hand as she gave Scott the paper. "How's ya family doin'?" she asked.

"Same old same old. How's yers?" Scott asked as he opened up the newspaper.

"Same." Feister replied knowing Scott was asking about the other newsies. It was actually kind of nice to hear someone who isn't a newsie call them her family.

"The trolley strike?" he asked while looking up at Feister.

"If you look on page ten you'll see the story bout what happens in a Staten Island Estate," Feister replied while tapping the paper with her finger.

"Is that an actual story or are ya lyin' again?" Scott asked with a raised eyebrow. Feister was about to say something when Mush walked to her and said, "It ain't lyin' it's improvin' the truth a little." Mush slung his arm around Feister and pulled her closer to his side. He kept a somewhat tight grip around her, while giving this Scott kid the "back off" glare. One he's used many times with this kid, and anyone else that came near his girl.

"Took the words right outta my mouth Mush brains," Feister said as she punched his side.

Mush only smirked and ruffled her head as he said, "That's my goil." when Mush said "my" he looked right at Scott and glared at him. Scott (getting the message) just nodded as he said, "Well, I gotta go help Ma with somethin'." before walking off.

"Ya scared him off," Feister said as she elbowed Mush's gut with her elbow.

"Good," Mush replied cheerily before stuffing his hands in his pockets and walked back to his spot.

"Yer gettin' on my last nerves Meyers!" Feister yelled.

"Shut up an' get back ta work Johnson!" Mush yelled back. It was a long day before the two newsies could go to Jacobi's for a well earned lunch. The minute they entered through the doors they slowly dragged themselves to their usual table.

"An' Cowboy says he wants ta go ta the desert," Feister said as she took off her cap. "Well lemme tell ya that it's hotter than any desert out there in The Big Apple."

"Hard day sellin'?" Finch asked.

"The hardest," Mush replied while sitting up straight.

"Especially this idiot." Feister slapped Mush upside the head. "Scared away any boy that came by cause they's was an' I quote "flirtin' with me"." the boys all stopped what they were doing when they heard those words. They never thought the day would come when boys would flirt with Feister, since the fact still reminds that Feister isn't one to flirt. Well, that and the newsies all know there's only one boy she'd ever flirt with.

"Some sucker said ya had nice eyes!" Mush yelled while throwing his arms in the air.

"How is that a bad thing?!" Feister yelled loudly. "Whenever a goil comes by an' acts all flirty with ya, I's don't stop ya!"

"Maybe, but I's can feel ya rollin' yer eyes for the millionth time!" Mush replied seriously.

"Ever thought it makes me sick ta my stomach ta see some goil flirt with my best friend!" Feister asked sharply.

"Feisty, we's been over this fore. Yer not always gonna be the only goil in my life!"

"Believe me I know that," Feister replied before slapping her cap back one as she got off the table before storming out of Jacobi's Deli, while ignoring the burning feeling that was hotter than the summer sun that went into her body and stayed there like a scar.

Back at the deli it was silent as all eyes landed on Mush, who let out a sound of frustration as he said, "That goil is just....UGH, the most impossible human bein' I's ever met!" he slammed the table with his fist before resting his elbows on his knees. "Yer just realizin' this now?" Elmer asked breaking the silence. The boys' eyes landed on him as if to say, "not the time".

Kid Blink then took a seat next to Mush on the table as he said, "An' yer the most oblivious human bein' I's ever met."

"Come again?" Mush asked as he looked at Blink with a very confused face.

"How is it possible you'se can tell when someone is flirtin' with Feisty, an' yet. You'se can't see that goil has the biggest crush on ya."

"How many times do I's have ta say it?" Mush asked loudly. "Feisty don't have a crush on me. An' I don't have a crush on 'er. End of story." with that being said he got off the table and walked out of the Deli. The sun was beating down hotter than ever as Mush walked the busy streets of New York. Carriages and wagons past by in every direction as the people walked the sidewalks. There were some kids playing marbles or jumping rope, while others were shining shoes to earn whatever money they could get.

The fancy ladies were in the dress shop talking and laughing about some gossip. The business men were rushing to work, or meeting up with some friends to talk about boring stuff. Then there was the lowest of the low, who were in the alleys and bars of the city, or just waiting to mug someone out of everything they have just to get a drink at the bar. Finally there was the hard working class, lots of men, woman, and children who couldn't work in the factories walked about the streets trying to make a living for themselves.

Mush was one of the many people trying to make a living. While he doesn't have much, he's actually a lot better off than other street kids. He has a job selling newspapers, while it doesn't make much it's better than working in a factory. A place to stay the night, good friends that's like family, and a girl who drives him crazy in more ways than one.

As he walked Mush then started to think how lucky the boys who flirted with Feister were. They were able to get her to do that cute (and rare) little giggle. They told her stuff that he was too scared to say. And at one point or another, one of those boys would ask Feister out on a date, then she'd get that smile that light up her eyes like a thousand stars. Something he could barely get her to do anymore. Now all he does with Feister is fight day in and day out.

The sun's heat was getting too much to bare, so when Mush came up to an alley for some shade he was surprised to see a small girl who had dark braids with her knees hugged to her chest, and back pressed to the wall. He sighed before taking a seat down in front of the small girl, who didn't notice he was there. "H-hey...Feisty...." he said quietly.

"What?" she mumbled, not bothering to look at him.

Mush sighed before taking a deep breath as he said, "Bout what happened at-"

"Oh, go shove it on some goil's lips!" Feister snapped as she looked up at him. She wasn't in the mood to hear anything else from him, so she got up to leave. But Mush got up twice as fast and grabbed Feister by the arm so she wouldn't leave. "Sorry! Alright!" Mush yelled. After taking a few deep breaths he said in a calm voice, "Sorry. I's just." there was a long pause before he said, I's don't wanna see ya get hurt."

"I ain't gonna get hurt," Feister replied firmly as she pulled away from Mush. "I's can take care of myself." it then went quiet. Neither one of them made a sound, until Feister said, "This was gonna happen sooner or later. Boys are gonna be sweet tawkin' me an'-"

"It makes me sick ta my stomach watchin' it," Mush cut off.

"Now you'se knows how I's feel," Feister replied with a small laugh. She was a little happy that Mush was finally getting a taste of how she feels when some girl flirts with him. "Anyways, how bout we's forget this?" she asked.

"Sure," Mush replied. Feister broke out into a big smile before hugging him tightly. "Ok, how bout we's go get some lunch fore goin' back ta work?" Feister nodded and with that it was back to Jacobi's.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

6K 236 42
3 A/N chapters So what's happened so far? Well, June's met Manhattan and Brooklyn newsies. She's met their enemies, the Harlem newsies. Made new fri...
521 37 14
❝to be young and in love in new york city❞ Feister has been through a lot in her lifetime. She went through many challenges at a young age, though i...
12K 212 20
✨FINISHED STORY✨ Mavis is the Newsie no one expected to see on the streets. After all, the Newsies were guys. She was bright, funny, and always stood...
17K 420 13
❝we were just so close it's tragic❞ The life of a newsie is tough, especially when you happen to be the only girl in a sea full of boys. Head strong...