Beauty and the Beast

By nekoamamori

Loki is trapped in Jotun form under a curse. Can blind Morgan Stark somehow be the key to helping him break i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 6

16.9K 515 208
By nekoamamori

"That's.... amazing," she told him, her voice full of awe as she felt the magic under her skin.

He smiled warmly, loving seeing her so awestruck and happy. "It is. But it can also be dangerous. You have no experience with magic meaning your grip on it is tenuous at best. If you're willing, I would be happy to teach you how to properly control your new power," he offered. He hoped she would take him up on it. It was vital that her magic be taught, but he wanted her to want to learn and not be forced to it.

He saw her sober a little at his words. "That's probably a good idea. You're right that I know nothing about real magic, but I've read enough stories to know that it needs to be controlled properly or it goes haywire," that seemed like a common enough theme that it was probably true. Tropes were tropes for a reason after all.

He smiled proudly. "Precisely," he told her and she heard the pride in his voice that she'd known that. "It would be wise that you get some rest. We will begin training in the morning. We must start as early as possible to ensure you gain control of your magic. And you will be sleeping in my room. I wish to have you close by to ensure your safety. I wouldn't put it past Hydra to try again in kidnapping you," he told her all of that quickly and got his back up, preparing to fight her on it.

Now that the adrenaline from the battle was fading, she was feeling the exhaustion from her first use of magic. She hadn't expected to feel so bone numbingly tired. Loki wasn't surprised in the slightest. The first use of magic was always hard on the mage. It usually happened as a child with a simple spell, so a nap was usually enough to rectify the problem. Morgan wasn't a child and had blown a lot of power in that one little spell.

Morgan nodded and gave an order to Jarvis to have the iron legion clean up the mess that had become of the common room. She took Loki's arm, but looked nervous, almost frightened. "Loki, there's broken glass and shards of metal everywhere," she said in a small voice.

Loki nodded, understanding her dilemma in bare feet. "Let me help you, little one," he told her gently. She nodded and he swept her gently into his arms. Her arms went around his neck and he didn't mind in the slightest. He quite liked that she was safe in his arms. She was thin and light in his arms, deceptively frail. He knew better, but he still preferred having her safe.

"What about dinner?" she asked as he made his way to the elevator and away from the food.

Loki huffed and rolled his eyes at the incorrigible chit. "I will summon it for us when you are somewhere safe," he reassured her.

Morgan wasn't surprised he was keeping her close after a kidnapping attack. She wasn't even surprised when he didn't put her down when they stepped onto the elevator. "I have a guest room in my suite," she offered. She didn't want to argue over his bed when there was a spare room with a spare bed.

Loki shook his head and she could feel his hair moving back and forth across her bare arm. "I do not plan to sleep tonight and my room is shielded with magic. I would prefer we stay there," he told her gently.

She nodded, though wasn't convinced about him not sleeping. She knew the overprotective nature of the team. "Alright," she agreed. At least she agreed for forestall the argument until later. When she was in residence, the team protected her, and she took care of them.

Loki would just have to learn that the hard way.

Loki set her down inside his room and summoned their dinner. They ate quickly and he could see Morgan crashing as she ate. He wasn't surprised. He vanished the plates when they had eaten and Morgan took her required medication. Loki wished he could heal whatever ailed her, but his healing skills were limited. "You should get some rest, darling," he bid her gently. She nodded wearily and shifted as if she were going to sleep on his couch. Silly little Midgardian. "No no no. In the bed. No arguing," he told her and moved to pull her to her feet and lead her over to the bed.

"But-" she started to argue as he pulled her to her feet.

"Morgan, no arguing," he reminded her firmly.

"It's your bed," she said in a small voice. She didn't want to take his bed.

"I told you. I will not be sleeping. Someone needs to stay awake to ensure nothing else happens and so that I can make sure your magic does not slip your control in your sleep," he explained gently.

"You need sleep too," she reminded him and he could hear the genuine concern in her voice.

He chuckled. "I am Asgardian, darling. We do not require as much sleep as your kind," he explained to the exhausted little stubborn thing. She finally relented and allowed herself to be tucked into the bed. He made sure the blankets were wrapped around her, knowing that others felt cold even if he didn't.

"Goodnight, Loki," she murmured softly, her voice sounding like a loving caress.

He smiled warmly, his heart fluttering at her tone and the warm, fond smile on her face as she drifted off quickly. "Goodnight, Morgan," he bid her and resumed his seat on the couch where he could watch over her and keep an eye out for trouble.

Loki stayed up the rest of the night, checking for messages from Stark or his idiot brother and watching for danger or wayward magic. Stark and Thor, of course, both told him to keep an eye out and protect Morgan and promised they'd be home as soon as they could.

In the middle of the night, Morgan got caught in a nightmare and shifted in her sleep, drawing Loki's attention. She made a small noise and power glowed around her as things in the room started floating. Loki jolted to his feet and rushed over to her, shaking her gently. "Morgan? Morgan, darling. You need to wake up. It's just a dream," his voice was soft and soothing as he shook her awake.

She made a small, weak, pathetic noise as she fought through the medication to try to wake. He stroked her hair back from her face, and whispered soothing words, trying to help her fight through her nightmares. Her eyes finally fluttered open and the floating items came crashing back down while she looked confused and exhausted. "Are you alright, Morgan?" he asked her with concern in his voice.

She relaxed at the sound of his voice, his cold hands on her shoulders. It took her a moment to remember where she was and realize why this didn't feel like her room. It was his room. She shook her head to clear it. "It was his just a bad dream. Sorry," she told him softly, sheepishly.

He swept a stray lock of hair back behind her ear. "It's alright, little one. I expected your powers to be out of control now that they're active," he reminded her gently. "Are you alright?" he asked. He knew how exhausted she was and hated waking her, but he couldn't just let her magic remain out of control.

She nodded and gave him a small, tentative smile. "I'm alright. It was just a bad dream," she reassured him.

He caressed her cheek, not actively choosing the romantic gesture, but she relaxed into it and he was glad he had. "Would you like me to help you?" he asked her gently, keeping his voice calm. She'd never get any rest if she was plagued by nightmares. "I can send you into a dreamless sleep if you'd like?" he tried to make the offer sound appealing to his stubborn blind little Midgardian.

When had she become his?

He wasn't sure. But she was.

She gave him a warm smile, leaning into his comforting touch. She was surprised by it as this was the shy Loki. "It wouldn't be too much trouble?" she asked in a small voice.

"I would not offer if it were. I would be happy to help you," he reassured her.

She nodded and relaxed. "I'd appreciate it," she admitted. The meds were already pulling her back to exhaustion and she didn't want to put him in danger. She was also usually as bad as her dad about sleeping, but the medications and accident have messed with her. And with nightmares and new magic. She needed proper sleep, desperately

Loki nodded and placed a glowing green hand to her forehead, sending her straight to a dreamless sleep. His other arm was around her, supporting her as her eyes fluttered shut. She was dead asleep in moments. She was safe in his care, safe in his bed, safe in his arms, and they were both safe from her magic while she was in a dreamless sleep.

The rest of the night was uneventful. Nothing else came to attack them and Morgan's magic remained under control while she was in a spelled sleep. Loki found himself continually glancing up from his book to check on her and give her a warm smile when he found her adorably asleep, safe in his bed.

He wanted nothing more than to see her safe and happy.

He let her sleep in late that morning, knowing she needed the rest. He finally lifted the spell he placed on her and she woke slowly when the spell was lifted, looking adorable when she did and sat up slowly. "Loki?" she asked. At least she remembered that she was in his room. It wasn't that difficult to remember when he kept his room at least ten degrees colder than the rest of the tower.

He gave her a warm smile and while she couldn't see it, she could hear it in his greeting. "Good morning, little one," he told her warmly as he set his book aside and stood to come over to her.

"Morning, Loki," she replied with a smile of her own. His term of endearment made her smile. She was glad he'd softened to actually being her friend. He seemed to truly care about her and if she were being honest she was starting to more than care for him

"How do you feel?" Loki asked her, drawing her from her thoughts.

"I'm fine," she reassured him quickly.

His nose scrunched up at the lie. "Lady Morgan, if you wish to lie, I would try a little harder," he teased her, reminding her that he had the power to smell lies. They always left an unpleasant odor in his nose.

She smirked up at him. "Fine, annoying god of lies. Besides being blind, in pain from the accident, and feeling... weird..." she clearly couldn't find the word she wanted to describe that particular feeling "from the magic I can feel I have now, I'm fine," she reassured him. She raised a hand to run over her hair and smooth it down.

Loki noticed that her hand was shimmering gold, not the gold of Doctor Strange's magic, but a soft gold like his mother's. He knew she wasn't actually trying to use magic and the realization that it was manifesting out of her skin wasn't good. He had to start teaching her soon.

"We should eat. Your training begins as soon as we have," Loki told her and tried to keep his worry from his voice. He didn't want her fretting just because he could see her magic manifesting. He knew how dangerous it was.

Morgan nodded, unconcerned since she didn't know there was a problem and swung her legs out of the bed. She shoved her pill container in her pocket and stood, reaching for Loki's arm as he had already stood from the bed. He took her hand as it quested for him and hooked it gently on the crook of his elbow. She smiled gratefully up at him. She relaxed against him as they made their way down to the common room. It was always more comforting to have someone she trusted leading her than trying to find her own way with her cane.

They were both relieved that the iron legion had completely repaired the tower. Loki led Morgan to the kitchen safely. She kissed his cheek and dropped his arm to make breakfast for them. Loki told her that he can't cook. He took a seat at the dining room table to watch her and wait out of the way. She made waffled that morning and set a plate in front of him, joining him a couple minutes later.

He gave her a warm smile. "Thank you, Lady Morgan," he told her, dropping to formality to tell her how much he appreciated the gesture. He realized with how long the team had been gone, he'd be scrounging for food by now and not eating the delicious cooking of his interesting little blind Midgardian.

She gave him a warm smile in return, glad he was so pleased that she was taking care of him. He was protecting and helping her, it was only fair that she take care of him in return. "You're welcome, Loki," she replied brightly and dun into her waffled. She smirked at Loki's moan of pleasure as he began to devour his. She laughed in delight and Loki's heart warmed at the velvety silver-coated sound of her laughter. "Like them?" she teased. Her own waffled were disappearing quickly as she needed the energy and strength from healing and using uncontrolled magic twice the previous evening.

"These are really good. Where did you learn to cook like this?" he asked, truly interested.

"Mom taught me some. It was just the two of us for years. But dad can't cook to save his life, as you may be aware," she smirked and Loki laughed, confirming that he did, indeed, know that Stark couldn't cook. "I didn't was to rely on the housekeeper in order to have food, so I learned how to cook," she explained. That made sense. The little Stark was self-reliant and stubborn.

"And learning how to cook after your accident?" he asked gently. She didn't like talking about the accident.

She grinned and had a glint about her that Loki recognized. "I set up this kitchen when I lived here a few summers ago and have threatened the entire team with bodily harm if they move anything. So all the dishes and ingredients are where I left them," she told him and Loki laughed at her getting away with threatening the entire team. "The rest is smell, feel, and experience," she added, then sighed heavily, her expression dropping. "I've really only been out of the hospital a couple weeks," since she met Loki, basically. "So I'm still getting used to doing anything besides lying in a hospital bed..." She wasn't exactly supposed to be up and about yet. But she wasn't letting Loki know that.

He nodded. "I'm impressed how well you have adjusted," he told her honestly. He didn't know anyone else who could have adjusted so well so quickly.

"It's hard," she admitted softly, then smirked at him. "But like you said, Starks don't give up,"

Loki laughed. "That is what I thought,"

She giggled. "Which is probably what leads to dad getting tossed out the defenestration window most of the time. At least I don't annoy anyone that badly," she teased

Loki chuckled. "That is a relief, darling," he told her warmly.

She gave him a warm smile in return, but his expression grew more serious when he could see the gold magic shimmering around her. He could tell that she had no idea it was happening. Her magic was escaping her control. Thankfully all that was happening was her power manifesting. It wasn't doing anything. It was clear that she had a lot of power and absolutely no control over it.

"Darling, we need to head to the training room. You are practically radiating magic right now," he told her gently. He didn't want to frighten her, but they needed to get her power under control before something happened.

"Radiating magic?" she asked, sounding concerned. That didn't sound good. At all. Nor did she really understand what was going on or why.

"You are overflowing with power. We need to get that under control. Under conscious control,"

She nodded and stood, reaching automatically for his arm, which he held out for her automatically. By now, he was used to her touching him. And loved every time she did. Even for something as innocent as him guiding her.

Loki led her down to one of the training rooms and he noticed that she moved closer to him when they stepped out onto a floor of the tower that was less familiar to her. She trusted him to keep her safe. He wouldn't break that trust. He entered the training room he and Wanda used for magic lessons and led her to one of the two chairs in the middle of the room. Wanda's last lesson had been on telepathic magic, so they worked sitting across from each other.

Once they were both seated, Loki began. "Alright, darling. I'm sure you can feel your magic coursing through you at this point. Is that right?" he asked, slipping automatically into his teaching voice. He was used to teaching youngsters magic. This would be a new teaching experience for him.

"I can," she agreed. She could feel her magic since he had shown her what it felt like.

"I need you to close your eyes, focus on the magic flowing through you," he told her gently. Closing her eyes wasn't actually necessary in her case, but it would still help psychologically. She obeyed and her breathing evened out as she focused. "Feel it move through you. You need to get your magic under control. Take deep breathes, pull it inside you. You can feel it, and feel that it is not under your skin where it belongs,"

He watched as her eyes remained closed and she focused on pulling the power back into herself and to the core of golden power at her center, which she could feel now that she was concentrating on it. He was there to help her if she needed it, but she did spectacularly and pulled the power back into herself. He grinned proudly. "Very good. Well done, Morgan," he told her and she could hear the pride in his voice. She gave him a warm smile, having a feeling that praise was rare from the prince. "For now, we need to focus on helping you maintain control. You have no experience with magic. Meaning this will not be easy," he warned her.

She nodded, but looked wary. "Define 'not easy',"

"Magic is a powerful force. Most of us with it, learn as children how to control it, or it destroys our lives. Those who have no idea how to control their power or have no basis on what their magic is or where it comes from can complicate things,"

She nodded again. "That does sound daunting." It also kinda sounded like he was going to shunt her off to another instructor. Probably Strange since he's Midgardian. She found she really didn't want that.

She didn't want that at all.

"Let's try a really easy spell, one taught to children. I want you to try and create a ball of light from your magic," he told her. He needed to see what she could do when she was trying to use magic.

"But... how?" she asked him, confused and feeling like she was missing a step, like she was missing something important about all of this. He wasn't going to like her as a student, or keep her as a student, if she couldn't get something so basic.

Except that he wanted to court her. So he would definitely teach her magic.

"Focus. Connect with the power inside of you. Imagine what you want to happen and draw the power to make it so. Magic, especially magic this simple, is mostly imagination and will,"

She nodded and closed her eyes again in concentration, holding out a hand, palm up, in front of her. Magic started to gather and shimmer in her palm as she concentrated on converting power into a ball of light.

Loki smiled with pride for the single moment that the ball of light appeared.

The next instant it exploded spectacularly.

She had too much power.

Loki threw a quick shield around the explosion to protect them both from the blast. Morgan shrank back afraid. He couldn't allow her to be afraid of her power. "Alright. That did not go as expected," he told her dryly, trying to get a giggle out of her.

"I'm sorry!!" she exclaimed quickly instead, distressed at the accidental explosion.

"It's alright, little one. You just have more power than I thought," he reassured her gently. "It's alright,"

She relaxed at that. Not necessarily at the words themselves, but if he was still addressing her by a term of endearment, then he couldn't be too upset.

"We just need to work on control. You have way more power than I thought..." he pondered that.

"That sounds like a problem," she said nervously.

He hmmed as he pondered. "I might have to speak to my mother about this. Not even I know how to best help you control this amount of power. It's like handing a child a thin pencil and demanding a beautiful drawing instead of giving them a large colored stick they can wrap their fist around," he explained to her. His explanation made sense. He usually taught children who had less power to work with and could do simple spells easily. She had more magic, but not the power to control it to attempt more advanced magic.

She nodded her understanding. "I didn't mean to cause you trouble..."

He shook his head. "You didn't. I'm actually glad you have magic. It gives us something in common," he told her warmly. He meant that. He loved his magic and he would love sharing his gifts with her, just as he loved sharing them with his adopted little sister in Wanda.

Morgan gave him a tentative smile, relaxing a little after the explosion. "That it does. Except that I have no control... That's pretty big problem..."

"It is. But I'm sure my mother can help us figure out how best to control it. She is the one that taught me how to use my own magic after all and is usually the one teaching special cases," he added. He wasn't concerned that they wouldn't be able to help Morgan. He just didn't know the best approach to help her.

"But isn't she on Asgard?" Morgan asked gently. It wasn't possible for him to just call her and ask.

"She is," Loki agreed. "But my mother and I are always connected. She is the one who taught me magic, so I can reach her telepathically across the realms," he explained. He hesitated, though. He had withdrawn so much into himself after he was cursed that he hadn't really spoken to his mother much since. He was afraid to see her when he was in this form. He didn't want her of all people to see him as a monster. So he'd withdrawn from her as well.

"Do you want me to leave so you can contact her?" Morgan asked, not knowing what Loki was planning or what he needed to be able to talk to his mother.

Loki shook his head. "You should stay. It will just take a moment," he reassured her and closed his eyes in concentration. It always took more effort to reach her across the realms.

/Mother, can you hear me?/ He asked when he felt the connection take hold

/Darling! It's been so long!/ She sounded excited to hear from him and Loki felt himself relax. She wasn't angry with him for shutting her out. /Is everything alright?/ She asked, sounding relieved to hear from him. She'd missed her son, but hadn't bothered him, fearing he blamed her for his curse since it had happened when he and Thor visited Asgard last.

/Everything is fine, Mother/ he replied, though sounded more subdued than he usually did when he spoke to her. /However, I have run into a magical problem. One I'm not sure how to fix and could use your advice. It turns out that the daughter of one of Thor's friends is in possession of strong magic that she was not aware she had. I believe it did not manifest until a recent accident she was in. We need your help to better figure out how to control it before she loses control/

Frigga heard how subdued her son was, as he had been since he was cursed, but she also heard a spark of something else. Interest perhaps, in the Midgardian girl. That was interesting indeed. Perhaps the girl could draw him back to himself. /You have taught children to control their magic before/ she reminded him, misunderstanding his problems.

/Not at this level. She is not a child and she has a lot more power than I expected. There is also an issue I'm not sure how to deal with. She's blind, Mother/ Loki explained his troubles.

/So you do not know how to show her what she needs to do/ Frigga surmised. /It's simple enough if the girl trusts you?/

Loki thought about that. /She appears to. Though I have only known her a few weeks. She still does not know me enough for there to be a strong enough bond that will allow me to better help her control her powers. She isn't a child, making it a bit harder for her to learn basic spells. We tried the ball of light spell and it exploded/ He explained.

Frigga's laughter could be heard across the bond. /It is quite rare indeed for someone with that much magic to make it to adulthood without it being found, but that is neither here nor there. You remember when Thor broke his arm as a teenager and you insisted on being the one to heal it?/ Frigga asked him, knowing he would remember the event in question. /I entered your mind and showed you what you needed to do within your power. You can do the same with her to teach her to use and control her power/

Loki sighed in relief as that was the perfect solution. /That's perfect. Thank you, Mother/

/Of course, darling.../ Frigga paused, pondering something and Loki waited for her to gather her thoughts. /She's there with you?/ she asked, though unnecessarily. Loki didn't bother answering when she was asking question she knew the answers to. /Her magic does not feel like I would expect.../ she paused, not wanting to say more unless she was sure.

/Would you like me to access her magic while you are still linked to me so you can see for yourself?/ Loki offered, which would allow her the access to be sure about whatever she was pondering.

/That might be a good idea/ Frigga replied, a bit distracted as her thoughts swirled too quickly for him to catch.

Loki kept the connection open and turned his attention back to his now extremely interesting blind little Midgardian. "Do you trust me, Lady Morgan?" he asked, being a little more polite with his mother listening in.

She looked surprised by the question, but nodded readily. "Of course, Loki," she replied with such a lack of hesitation that it warmed Loki's heart. He wasn't used to being trusted so thoroughly and immediately, especially since the curse, but he gladly accepted it from her.

"Good. In order to get a basis to help you better control your power, I have to enter your mind. Do you understand?" he asked, hoping that idea wouldn't scare her away.

She pondered that for a moment. "Like dream-walking, but while awake?" she suggested. She read a lot of fantasy.

Loki nodded, impressed with the leap of logic her mind had made and proud of her for coming up with a fairly apt description. "Quite similar," he agreed.

She smiled. "What do you need me to do?" she asked readily.

"Trust me," he told her, knowing that was rich coming from the god of lies. "You have to allow me access into your mind. Stay focused and calm or this will not work," he explained.

"Alright. I trust you, Loki," she told him with absolute honest.

She trusted him.

He smiled, impressed with this little Midgardian. "Thank you, little one. My mother is still connected with me. She will be assisting. I swear you will come to no harm," he reassured her, and placed his green-glowing fingertips against her temples after she had nodded her agreement. He entered her mind carefully and gently and opened his own so his mother could feel Morgan's magic for herself.

Morgan worked to remained calm and focused on keeping her magic inside herself where it belonged. It was difficult with two strange minds inside her own, but she managed.

Frigga saw something of interest and took over. She had more experience after all. /Hold the connection, darling/ Frigga told her son and swept through Morgan's mind and magic, teaching her the basics of control and how to actively access her power safely. She had much more experience teaching strange cases than Loki did and with someone this powerful and uncontrolled, she wanted to make sure the girl had a solid foundation to work from and enough control that she could sleep without a babysitter.

When she finished with the basics, which was all Morgan would be able to handle for one lesson, Frigga withdrew to Loki's mind. She paused before she gave her son her news.

/Darling, I don't know how it's possible, but her magic is Asgardian/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.2K 2.3K 15
Tony Stark visits a distraught Loki in his glass prison and is shocked at what he finds. Can it be possible that Loki never meant for it to turn out...
505K 17.1K 50
You're living with the Avengers, but have no powers of her own. Loki, a former villain, joins the superhero team, claiming that he has reformed, but...
2.3K 48 16
Loki X reader Y/n is an asgardian who was living an amazing life far away from the city of Asgard with her mother. Her mother was the head of the ser...
280K 7.6K 23
A shapeshifter who refuses to turn back from a wolf is brought to the Avengers in hope that they can help her heal. Cassie's heart and soul is broken...