Warmth (Klance Warmth series...

By LightofShadows

They lost. Voltron lost. 10,000 years ago, Altea lost. Now they have a chance to fight again, to win. They ha... More

1: Frigid Defeat
2: Frozen Time
4: Icy Fate
5: Cool Welcome
6: Tepid Visit
7: Lukewarm Decision
8: Warm Temptation
9: Heat of the Moment
10: Balmy Discourse
11: Burning Sensation
12: Fierce Hope
13: Blistering Contact
14: Blaze of Glory
15: Feverish Aftermath
16: Pyretic Tempers
17: Boiling Point
18: Ignited Doubt
19: Sneak Peak of the sequel 'Chill'

3: Cold Foreboding

4.5K 133 34
By LightofShadows

"Well, I've got some good news and some bad news," Coran announced, straightening from the lit panel he'd been focused on for the past hour or so. "Good news: the Princess and I have managed to locate two of the missing Lions."

"Sure, sure," Lance drawled, waving his hand in mock annoyance. "Give big sis all the credit. I didn't do a thing. Nope. Didn't even lift a finger."

"Ahem," Coran coughed into his hand.

"Bless you," Lance said graciously. "Better get that checked. Don't want to be catching space plague now, do we?"

"Space plague?" Hunk stuttered, mildly terrified of the idea. "That's a thing?"

Lance considered a moment before replying, a shit-eating grin working its way across his face. "Well, I wouldn't say it's a 'thing' so much as it's a 'creature' bent on destroying all food in the universe." Hunk gasped and Pidge rolled his eyes while Lance pressed on. "It's said the plague takes hosts and uses them as its puppets to destroy every morsel of food in existence."

"Not the food!" Hunk exclaimed.

"Lance," Shiro said with a heavy sigh. "You and I both know there's no such thing as a space plague."

"Really?" Lance asked innocently. "Are you sure? Would you bet your life on it?"

"Ah-ahem!"

"Bless you Coran," Lance said, concern sparkling merrily in his eyes. "Perhaps you should take another nap in a healing pod to be sure you're alright."

"Lance," Allura said, planting her hands on her hips and glaring at her little brother.

Lance slumped in defeat, glowering at his sister but wisely keeping his mouth shut.

"As I was saying," Coran said, giving Lance the evil eye. Lance just rolled his eyes and sulked. "We found two of the other Lions: the Green and Blue Lions. The bad news is we haven't been able to locate the Red Lion yet."

"This could pose a problem," Allura said, crossing her arms over her chest pensively. "The Black Lion is currently in the Castle, but it's locked away where even I can't reach it." She nibbled her lower lip in worry. "The only way to free the Black Lion is to gather the other four Lions here at the Castle."

"Why so much trouble for a Lion?" Pidge asked. "Does this have something to do with the giant robot thing we saw? That Voltron thing?"

"Voltron!?" Lance cried. "How do you know about Voltron?"

"You saw Voltron? Where? When?" Allura demanded.

"Woah, easy there, guys," Pidge said, waving his hands frantically.

"We saw it in a vision," Shiro offered peaceably. "It was when we first found the Yellow Lion."

"Yeah," Hunk said. "I mean, the floor gave out underneath us, so we fell into this super-secret hidden cave place covered in these glowing yellow carving things. That's where we found Yellow. I touched the glowing yellow shield, then POW!"

Lance jumped and made a small cry at the sudden loud sound effect but Hunk ignored it and kept talking.

"I had this vision of this huge, huge awesome robot. But it wasn't just me," Hunk insisted. "Shiro and Pidge saw it too. I swear I'm not crazy."

"Relax, Hunk," Lance said, recovering from his admittedly embarrassing display with practiced ease. "I know you're not crazy."

"Thanks, man," Hunk sighed in relief.

"Yeah, totally." Lance strolled up to Hunk, slinging an arm over the Altenoid's shoulder with a grin. "We all know the crazy one here is Coran."

Coran sputtered in righteous indignation. "I beg your pardon? I'll have you know I am most certainly not crazy."

"Oh no?"

"No." Coran squared his shoulders and puffed out his chest. "Just because my mind works on a different level than yours doesn't mean I'm crazy."

"Ri- Wait, did you just insult me?" Lance asked, eyeing the advisor incredulously.

"As long as our minds continue to work on different levels, I guess we'll never know," Coran said with a not-so-sad shrug.

Lance stared hard at Coran before bursting into enthusiastic cackles. He laughed so hard he had to lean over and brace himself on the Hunk who fumbled to keep the prince upright. Coran grinned triumphantly and gave his poofy ginger mustache a proud flick.

"You both are such children," Allura groaned.

"You love me," Lance said with a cheeky grin.

"Hard to believe he's royalty," Pidge commented, picking at the still tender spot where his translator attached to his head behind his ear.

"I like him," Hunk said in between barely muffle snickers.

"Thanks," the prince said, flashing a bright smile in Hunk's direction. "Friends?"

"Totally," Hunk said. "Space bros all the way."

"Bros?"

"It's short for brothers," Hunk explained. "You know. Friends, best buddies, brothers, bros."

The prince tilted his head to the side in thought before breaking into a heartfelt smile. "Bros then. I'll get you into so much trouble."

"You know," Hunk said, now a bit hesitant, "I actually believe you."

"If you two are finished making fools of yourselves," Allura said in her best disappointed mother tone, "we have things to do. Now, if you will all follow me. I think it's time we showed you something. Lance, you too."

Shiro moved to follow the princess but paused when he noticed the confused expression on the prince's face. He hadn't known Prince Lance long, but from what he had seen, Lance was a generally light-hearted individual despite the loss he had suffered. Shiro waited for the prince to join their group before following Allura.

They didn't have to go far from the bridge. The room they entered was round and covered in an odd surface that was similar in color to the rest of the Castle's interior surfaces, but different in texture. The white was almost iridescent in nature and glowed faintly.

"Wait," Lance said, suspicion and annoyance dripping from his voice. "Did you really invite everyone to come watch you use the holodeck first just to rub it in?"

So this was the holodeck, Shiro realized. He studied his surroundings more closely this time and felt the faintest tingle of wonder.

"No," the princess replied as she approached the short, round pedestal in the middle of the central platform. She pressed her hand to the device and waited for it to light up. The lights in the room suddenly dimmed to near complete darkness with the exception of the glowing pedestal. Then, pinpricks of light burst forth from the floor and walls only to stop and hover in specific locations in the air around them. It took Shiro a couple seconds to recognize the points of light were not scattered in a random pattern at all, but were organized in clusters and swirls and some even had identifying markers next to them.

"It's a star map," Pidge breathed, taking in the sight with growing awe.

Hunk's eyes bugged out of his head and his mouth dropped open at the amazing sight. "We are literally standing in the middle of the galaxy," he said, beginning to bounce on the balls of his feet in excitement. "This is so cool."

"I don't think this is a galaxy," Shiro murmured. "I think this is the universe. Look." He pointed at a particular cluster of stars. "I think that's the Andromeda Galaxy."

"Woah!" Pidge gushed, his eyes aglow. "Imagine if we had this kind of technology back at the Garrison. Think of all the things we could do with it. We could map constellations more accurately, discover planets more easily, maybe even identify black holes by actually zooming in on the suspected location of one and studying the movements and behavior of the stars up close and personal without getting spaghettified."

The princess smiled at the Altenoids' reactions but bit back the desire to let them dwell on it. "I'm afraid I brought you here for another reason," she said gravely. "Shiro, you mentioned being captured by the Galra." Shiro nodded. "This," she made a few quick motions with her hands, "is the current extent of the Galra Empire."

Shiro felt his stomach drop as star system after star system changed from the pure, untainted white to a deep burgundy. The sheer number of systems conquered by the Galra was overwhelming.

"Unfortunately, I have more bad news," Allura continued.

She waved her hands in a pulling motions and Shiro watched the stars move in the direction she pulled until a familiar spiral galaxy sparkled in the air in front of him, Pidge, and Hunk. This galaxy was still pure white, a beacon amidst a sea of red tide.

"Based on what you've told me of your home planet, I believe this should be your home galaxy," Allura said gently.

"Y-yeah," Hunk said, his eyes fixed on the slowly spinning galaxy. "That- that's home."

Pidge swallowed and stepped up to the holographic galaxy to study the spiraling outer arms closely. After a brief moment's consideration, he pointed to a tiny pinprick near the edge of one particular arm. "If I recall my astronomy right, Earth should be right around here," he said in a matter-of-fact voice.

Prince Lance leaned over Hunk's shoulder to get a better look at the point Pidge had chosen before straightening and looking back over his shoulder at his sister. "It's still free," he said, a note of hope in his voice.

Allura nodded. "It is," she agreed. "For the moment."

Shiro studied the expanse of burgundy carefully and narrowed his eyes. "They're close," he said in a dark tone.

"Yes," Allura said, her shoulders drooping slightly in the dim light. "If the Empire's pattern of conquest holds, then your galaxy and by extension your planet will soon fall to them."

"We can't let that happen," Pidge snapped. "Earth is my home. Those bastards kidnapped my family. Like hell I'm going to let them get away with that."

"They what?" Allura gasped.

"I thought you'd never been this far out in space," Lance said, mirroring his sister's surprise.

Pidge flushed in disgruntled anger. "I haven't," he admitted. "But my father and my brother did. They went on the science mission to Kerberos," he said, casting a wary glance at Shiro.

Shiro stiffened and stared at Pidge dumbstruck. Pidge shifted uncomfortably but continued. "They were captured with Shiro," Pidge said. "Shiro managed to escape, but..."

Shiro wilted under Pidge's hopeful gaze. "I don't remember how I got out," he said softly. "My memory during my captivity is spotty at best."

"That's not unusual," Lance said grimly. "Before Father-" He bit his lip. "Before I went to sleep, I was a fighter pilot. My squadron managed to free a handful of captives during our missions. Many of them had memory problems, either self-inflicted or by outside influences."

"PTSD," Hunk said, nodding in understanding.

"What?"

"PTSD," Hunk repeated. "It's what we call that back on Earth. It means Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder." He shrugged at the befuddled expression on the prince's face. "You see why we just call it PTSD." He chuckled and even Shiro crackled a smile. "When someone is traumatized by something, the brain reacts in different ways," Hunk explained. "It can cause anything from memory loss to flashbacks, to mood changes, that kind of thing. It's serious."

Shiro felt his shoulders beginning to hunch forward when a sturdy hand planted itself on his back. Startled, he turned and saw Hunk standing next to him with an encouraging smile.

"Don't worry, buddy," Hunk said. "You're not alone in this. We got your back."

"Besides," Pidge said, a smirk on his face, "you're the best pilot we have. Wouldn't want to end up covered in barf again, right Hunk?"

Hunk glared at his height-challenged friend. "That was a low blow, Pidge. Real low."

"I'm just sayin'," Pidge said, completely unrepentant.

"Speaking of pilots," Allura said, clasping her hands. She ignored her brother's sudden uncertain gaze on her and opened her hands to reveal the holograph image of the Yellow Lion.

"Allura, no," Lance said.

"I have the right to do this, brother," Allura said in what her father used to call her 'princess voice.' "This is my choice."

"We barely know them," Lance hissed, moving close to his sister's side.

"And yet one of them has already impressed his Lion and become its paladin," she countered with a smug grin in her brother's direction. When Lance huffed but didn't back down immediately, she softened her smile. "Trust me, brother," she pleaded. "I know what I'm doing."

Lance hesitated, then bowed his head in concession and stepped back.

Allura took a deep breath to center herself. "There are five Lions which make up Voltron. Each Lion has only one paladin whose quintessence is mirrored in their corresponding Lion. The bond between each Lion and their paladin is a soul-deep and mystical one that cannot be forced by any means."

She held out the hologram of the Yellow Lion to the Altenoids. "This is the Yellow Lion. It has a kind and gentle heart. It's steadfast and immensely loyal to its companions. Its paladin mirrors these qualities and together the paladin and Yellow Lion form the left leg of Voltron. This is why, Hunk," the Yellow Lion hologram floated out of Allura's hands to hover by Hunk's face, "you shall pilot the Yellow Lion."

"Me?" Hunk squeaked meekly.

"You did so once already. Why stop now?" the princess said, flashing Hunk a gentle smile.

Then she cupped her hands and allowed another holographic Lion to form. This one was bright green and leaner than the Yellow Lion. A planet appeared next to the Lion with Altean symbols connecting the two.

"The Green Lion has an inquisitive mind and is ever curious," Allura said. "It's clever and protective of its companions. Its paladin must reflect these characteristics to form the left arm of Voltron. Pidge," she said, nudging the holographic Green Lion to float over to the shortest Altenoid, "you shall pilot the Green Lion."

Pidge adjusted his wire rimmed glasses and smiled eagerly at the hologram.

Another holographic Lion materialized in the Altean princess's hands. This one was blue and also had a planet attached to it. "The Blue Lion is playful and energetic. It views its companions as family and will do anything to keep them safe. Its paladin also reflects these qualities in order to successfully form the right leg of Voltron. That's why, brother," she said, turning to Lance next to her, "I'd like you to pilot the Blue Lion."

The Altean prince stared at the holographic Blue Lion floating before him in dumbstruck awe. His eyes lifted to his sister's tender blue-violet gaze as if to be sure this wasn't a dream. If the rims of his eyes glittered a little more brightly than usual, neither acknowledged it.

"Thank you," he murmured, cradling the Blue Lion close to his chest. Their Father may be gone, but he hadn't left them with nothing to remember him by.

Allura fought back her own tears as she formed a fourth Lion in her hands, this one black with bright red wings. "The Black Lion is the leader of the pride," she said. "It's larger and stronger than the other Lions. With a steady mind and calm demeanor, the Black Lion stands proudly by its companions in both battle and peace. Together with its paladin, it forms the decisive head of Voltron. Shiro, you will pilot the Black Lion."

Takashi Shirogane stared at the holographic Lion that was notable bigger than the others in awe. A pull he never noticed before suddenly tugged at his mind and heart, like a siren's call. It demanded his attention, summoning him to whatever lay at the other end.

"The Black Lion is currently locked within the Castle," Allura said. "To prevent the Galra from getting their hands on all of the Lions, our Father hid them on different planets throughout the universe. However, the Black Lion he kept here, locked away. It cannot be freed until the other four Lions and their paladins are present."

"But there are only three Lions other than the Black one here," Hunk said, glancing at the Blue, Green, and his own Yellow Lion holograms. "Where's the fourth?"

"I'm assuming the fourth Lion is the right arm of Voltron," Pidge said thoughtfully. "Otherwise, we'd have a one-armed giant robot flailing around the universe."

"That..." Hunk paused, eyes widening in surprise, "would actually be kind of funny."

Pidge snorted. "You would."

"That's not how it works," Lance said suddenly. His face was shadowed except for the light cast by his holographic Lion. "Voltron can't be formed without all five Lions."

"Unfortunately, my brother is correct," Allura said sadly. She cupped her hands and a lithe, red Lion appeared. It had no planet attached to it nor any Altean words hovering nearby. "The Red Lion is faster and more agile than the other four Lions. However, that also makes it temperamental and much more unstable than the others as well. Its paladin must be wild at heart and rely on their instincts. Both must earn the others' respect before a bond can be formed."

"But where is the Red Lion? And who's its paladin?" Shiro asked.

The princess shook her head. "I have yet to locate either. Coran and I will continue to work towards finding it while Shiro, you and Pidge seek out the Green Lion. That means Lance-"

"Let me guess, you want Hunk to give me a ride to find Blue," Lance said, grinning happily. "I can't wait. I can finally fly again."

"If you already know, then you can lead the others to the pods," Allura said. "I'll open a wormhole to each planet. Pidge, Lance, find your Lions and bring them back here as quickly as you can." She grinned. "Then we can begin our quest to retrieve the Red Lion."

"And if we meet any Galra along the way?" Pidge asked.

"The Lions are weapons, you know," Lance said, a smug grin on his face. "I bet I could out-fly and out-shoot all of you."

"As long as you do not get yourselves or your Lions captured," Allura said forcefully, aiming a glare at her brother, "then feel free to do what you need to in order to get yourselves back here safely."

Lance leaned back, suddenly very uncomfortable. "Why do I get the feeling you're only talking to me?" he demanded. "I'm offended by the insinuation."

"You can be offended as long as you and your Lion come back here in one piece," Allura snapped. She crossed her arms with a huff. "Now get going, all of you. I'll have a wormhole open in a few ticks so hurry it up."

Lance rolled his eyes and led the Altenoids to the pods. "Why does she always assume I'm the one going to be captured?" he grumbled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 1 1
Lance Mcclain goes through a devastating change by Haggar when he is kidnapped by Lotor of the Galra empire. He's no longer Human, he's been changed...
11.3K 189 13
A Voltron fic. Allura is not happy with a galra being aboard her ship. And she'll go to great lengths to get him out of the way. Keith is on the rec...
398K 11.3K 35
The Paladins are on a mission on a Galra ship when Lance finds an abandoned Galra child. He decides to take the baby him and keep it a secret. What h...
10.1K 305 10
Keith and Shiro are Galra (they grew up on Altea) Keith has his parents, while Lance is an adopted orphan. There is a type of Galra called Crypts the...