Saving F.

Galing kay spacethyme

"You know what? I am a witch. Your lot used to drown my lot, because we are evil. Why don't you bring back th... Higit pa

Saving F.
Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 5

255 15 56
Galing kay spacethyme

Farida explained to Newt all about an old school friend of hers whose job description fitted that of an Auror as they waited at the Auror Station. The building was large and dome-shaped, with a very elegant interior that stood out despite how crowded it was at that time of day. The walls were a grayish-blue, and the high ceiling was less gray with tints of gold which made it sparkle slightly in the light that entered through the windows. Newt had the impression of being trapped in the placid sky of a fine morning.

As Newt looked around, he saw several statues depicting a woman with the head of a fierce-looking lioness standing in solemn grace with a spear in her hand. Farida told him that it was the goddess Sekhmet, a warrior and a protecter whose path the Egyptian Aurors were thought to follow. Newt did notice the similarity as he watched the Aurors come and go with their austere features and agile pace.

"Can I ask you something, Newt?" Farida said, awaking Newt from his contemplating trance. She had just returned from talking to the receptionist.

"Of course."

"Why do you take this suitcase with you wherever you go?"

"Because my creatures live in it," he answered. "I like to keep them with me."

Farida raised her eyebrows dubiously, and was about to speak, but a voice behind them caused her to stop and turn around. A woman of noticeable beauty was beaming at her. She was dressed in a navy-blue tunic which was belted in the middle, as well as white trousers and black shoes. That was the uniform of the Aurors, and Newt guessed that was the friend whom they were meant to see.

The Auror held out her hand, but Farida didn't shake it and merely gave a curt nod. The Auror pouted, but then said something in Arabic with a broad grin. Farida replied, but she looked as if all her patience was exhausted by that simple interaction. The Auror chuckled and nudged Farida's arm gently, then for some reason, she began to talk in French. Farida didn't look pleased with that, even though she responded without pausing and seemed fluent. Again, the Auror laughed, then her attention was suddenly brought to Newt as if she had just noticed him. She turned to Farida with a questioning expression.

"That's Mr Newt S— what was your last name again, Newt?" she said in English.

"Scamander," he said, somewhat diffidently.

"Nice to meet you, Mr Scamander," the Auror said in English. "I am Nabila Osman. Surely Didi told you about me?"

Newt thought that by Didi, she was referring to Farida. He glanced at Farida to make sure, only to see her roll her eyes and mutter something through gritted teeth. Newt turned to the Auror and said, "Yes, Farida told me that you could help us."

"But what sort of help do you need?" Nabila asked. Then on seeing Farida open her mouth to answer, she interrupted her with a wave of her hand. "No, Didi, I think we should talk at my office. And since when do you speak English? Apparently, I have missed much, haven't I? Now follow me," she added in a commanding tone.

With that she marched forward into a wide corridor, and Farida and Newt followed her in slow steps so that a considerable distance was separating them from her. Farida's face wore a grimace of stifled anger as she eyed Nabila's back, and Newt thought it was better to talk about something else.

"You speak French?"

"Yes, I learned it when I was young," said Farida. "It is a silly family thing. My father thinks it makes you a better person somehow if you can speak French. And so does her."

"Oh," replied Newt, unsure of what to say next.

"She's horrible, isn't she?" Farida added in contempt indicating Nabila. "As insufferable as a July sun."

"She doesn't sound like a nice person," Newt admitted.

"Unfortunately, she's the only one who can help."

"I'm sorry that you have to deal with her because of me. I—"

Many things seemed to happen at the same time so that it was difficult, for a moment, to comprehend them all. A man ran down the corridor past Newt and Farida and almost sent the latter to collide with the floor; Nabila shouted in an indescribable voice, a jet of red light erupting from her right hand and hitting the man's back; a rope extended from her other hand to catch Farida preventing her fall; and a loud thud echoed as the man's rigid body hit the ground.

A male Auror came into view, panting and pale with something akin to fear.

"Shokran," he said wearily to Nabila, then moved towards the man and knelt beside him. He held the man's hand and next moment a pair of metal cuffs appeared around his wrist.

Nabila shook her head in clear frustration. She turned from her fellow Auror to Farida, drawing back the rope that surrounded her waist. It seemed to slither into her sleeve like a serpent before disappearing completely in there. Newt couldn't help but admire the great skill she had just showed; she was definitely good at her job. Farida thanked her quietly and then they continued to walk.

Nabila stopped them when they reached a door at the end of the corridor. She pushed it open, and welcomed them into her office. It was neat and organized, with a large desk in its middle, and wooden shelves on the walls. Upon those shelves, several trophies of variable size and material were placed in no particular order, all shining and well-polished. Newt was momentarily reminded of his brother Theseus's office at the ministry; he too liked to show off.

"Please take a seat," said Nabila with a smile from behind her desk. When Farida and Newt sat down, she added, "How can I help you?"

"We need information about someone," Farida said.

"And who might that be, Didi?" Nabila asked in the manner of someone addressing a toddler. "You didn't get yourself in any trouble, I hope?"

Newt did not like her condescending tone. He saw Farida clench her fists, but other than that, her expression remained somewhat mild.

"Rest assured, if I'm in trouble, you'll be the last one I head to," said Farida calmly. "And the person we want to know information about is a man called Makram Ibrahim. Heard of him?"

"No, Didi, who's that?"

"Would you please stop calling her that?" Newt said, a little too sharply than he had intended. "She clearly doesn't like it."

"Oh." Nabila turned to Newt as though she had forgotten about his presence. A small smirk spread across her lips. "Protective, aren't we? But I don't think she needs that, Mr Scamander. If she doesn't like the nickname I have called her for ages, then she can say so herself. She doesn't need you to speak up for her."

"Well, I don't like it," Farida replied in a firm voice. "And Newt can speak up for me however he likes."

Nabila's smirk only became wider. "I don't think this is the best way to talk to someone whose help you need, Farida."

"Who said we need your help?" said Farida. "This information will help you, not us."

"Help me?"

"Yes," Farida nodded. "It's your job to catch criminals, isn't it? But if you think that doing your job is a sort of help you can refuse to offer, not a duty you have to fulfill, then I'll make sure to mention that in the complaint I will file against you."

For the first time, a flicker of worry showed on Nabila's face. "Asdek eh?"

"I mean—" Farida glanced at Newt with a broad triumphant smile — "that this man, Makram Ibrahim, is a criminal."

"And what's his crime exactly?" Nabila asked, regaining her composure.

"He's involved in the illegal trafficking of Magical Creatures," Newt answered.

"And how come you know that, Mr Scamander?"

Newt paused for a second before answering, "I am a Magizoologist. I've heard things."

Nabila considered them for a moment during which her expression became indecipherable.

"Makram Ibrahim is the name?" she said after a long pause. Newt and Farida nodded. "Well, then. Wait for me here."

Nabila stood up briskly, and when she had left the office, Farida turned to Newt.

"We don't have to worry now; horrible as she is with her jokes, she takes her job seriously."

"She's joking?" said Newt. "That makes it even worse."

"Yes, it does," Farida sighed. "But the good thing is that I no longer tolerate that like I used to do back at school, and it no longer affects me." She let out a sudden bitter chuckle before adding, "I used to think I deserved it, can you believe that? To be made fun of and to be treated like a helpless child by those I saw were better people than me."

"I am happy you no longer do," said Newt. He understood well Farida's situation, as he had been in a similar one before.

"Me too." Farida beamed at him.

A few minutes later, Nabila returned, holding a relatively small papyrus file. She put it on the desk, then took the seat behind the desk, her fingers now interlaced and her expression serious.

"So, Mr Scamander," she began in a professional manner, "what do you know about this man that you wish to tell me?"

"He's in the trade of illegal trafficking of magical creatures," Newt repeated.

"Noted." Nabila raised her eyebrows momentarily. She opened the file, and looking down at it added, "What else, Mr Scamander?"

Newt glanced at the open file, and his eyes caught the moving picture of a balding man on the first page. "Er — he's in Egypt now, but he will leave in a few days."

"What else?" Nabila asked, still silently perusing the papyri in front of her.

"Nothing," said Newt. "That's all I know."

"You know a great deal, Mr Scamander," the Auror remarked with a vague smile before turning to Farida. "And now, Miss Morad, is there anything you want to add?"

Farida shook her head. "No, there isn't."

"All right." Nabila opened a drawer and pulled out an empty parchment as well as a quill. She tossed the quill up in the air and it fell down, only to stop an inch or two above the parchment. She said some things in a clear voice, and the quill began to scribble after her. When she was done, she turned to Newt again.

"It would be lovely if you repeated what you have just told me."

"But we don't want to file a report," Farida said quickly before Newt could open his mouth. And she was right; Newt too thought it was better to have the matter as unofficial as possible.

"Then why have you come?" Nabila said with a sort of polite curiosity.

"We needed the information about the man," Farida answered slowly. "And I was just hoping that you —"

"Well, I can't," Nabila cut her off. "This is Auror business. You know I can't give you any information, since you are not an Auror."

Newt, unfortunately, could see the logic behind Nabila's words. She didn't sound like the type of person who would do something that had even a slim possibility of jeopardizing her career — just like Theseus.

"Yes, but Nabila, please." Farida's voice became gentle. "You don't understand. I mean, how many Aurors can deal with magical creatures?"

"And how many people care to deal with them, Farida?" Nabila asked irritably. "I honestly don't understand why you care so much. There are bad things happening out there, not just in Egypt, but around the world, and that's your priority? Beasts?"

Farida glared at the Auror. Fury flashed in her eyes, yet she said nothing. And neither did Newt, as he had grown used to the derision his area of expertise always faced.

"But," Nabila sighed, calming down a little, "it's still my job to investigate, and that's what I am going to do." She opened the drawer again, thrust the file inside, then shut it. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to work. Thank you for coming."

Farida bit her lips and without saying goodbye, she pivoted on her heels and stormed off. Newt followed her, upset that their opportunity was wasted, but that only lasted for a second. The moment he was back in the corridor and pacing after Farida, an idea popped up in his head.

"Farida, wait," he grunted. "It's not over yet, we can get the file. It must have got all the information we need."

"How?" Farida wondered. "We aren't going to talk to her again, are we?"

"No, no, of course not."

"Then what are we going to do?"

Newt drew closer to her and his voice became no louder than a whisper. "I think I can get into the office when she leaves it and make a copy of the file."

"And how are you going to do that?" Farida frowned incredulously. "Are you aware that this is too dangerous and you could get caught?"

"Yes, but we don't have much time left, and the sooner we do something, the better. So I have this idea... it might not be the best, but it could work, and it's all we have for now." He peeked hopefully at Farida. "So will you help me?"

"Oh, I will do anything to annoy Nabila," she said without hesitation. "What's the plan?"

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

11.3K 433 32
Y/n has been best friends with the mauraders since first year, and she couldn't have asked for a better group of friends. But one day, third year, w...
4.6K 133 17
A/N ignore the spelling errors and the switching between first and second person, I have dyslexia and have a hard time remembering witch person I'm w...
235 17 17
Y/N, 17 F, had just finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, quite saddened at how this would have been her generation at Hogwarts. Of cou...
591K 13.8K 40
[book one of two] Newt Scamander wasn't always that quiet one in school. He had a best friend. They had become incredibly close. Until, they didn't s...