survival

By LoserJustWantsWaffle

{s e a s o n 1 - 2} {t h e w a l k i n g d e a d} I'm just a nine year old girl trying to survive the apoca... More

disclaimer
characters
introduction
welcome»1
a lot of death>>2
jacqui>>3
two girls and a world full of walkers>>4
missed you>>5
nightmares or memories?>>7
giraffe>>8
a vicious beating and arguments>>9
not out yet>>10
part 2

injury and tears>>6

115 3 1
By LoserJustWantsWaffle

unedited
i'll probably add on to this later

i sit on the damp grass, the morning dew leaving wet circles hugging my jeans close to my knees.

i run my fingers through the short blades of grass, the water droplets sticking to my finger tips. the droplets running down my fingers and crawling across my wrist.

"perth!" glenn swiftly rushes over to me, fixing the cap on his head "you should come inside and eat"

"i'm not hungry" i look up at him, squinting my eyes through the brights rays of the sun.

"you're still weak, and you need food" glenn crouches to my height "do i need to get rick?"

"no! no, i'll be in in a minute" i reply, rubbing at my eyes.

"now. you're not supposed to even be out here this long anyway. you need to be inside, resting, eating. c'mon" glenn grabs my hand and lifts me up easily.

i sigh shakily and limp back towards the house with him.

"can you make it up these few steps?" he asks softly.

"yes glenn, i'm fine" i grab the railing and step forward, pushing myself up.

i let out a grunt as i stumble to the floor.

"perth! woah, hold on a second!" glenn shouts.

"i- oh g-god" i mutter out.

"glenn! what's going on?!" t-dog rushes out, maggie following behind.

"it's nothing! i just tripped." i scrunch up my nose and sit back on the step.

"no! you collapsed and you need to rest, like a told you!" glenn holds my arm carefully.

"i swear, i'm fine!" i huff out.

"come here sweety, we need to check up on you" maggie says, lifting me in her arms.

"i swear-"

"no buts. we're checking you now" maggie adjusts me quickly before taking me upstairs "you can even stay in the room next to daryl's"

i sit back in her arms and let her carry me up the stairs.

she soon reaches a room, the door cracked slightly allowing her to push it open with her hip.

she sits me down on the soft bed, adjusting the pillows under my head.

she pulls the shoes from my feet, rolling up my pants.

"what were you doing outside today?" she questions.

"getting some fresh air" i reply quietly.

"you shouldn't have been out there for so long though" maggie says, looking at my leg closer.

"you need to stay indoors for a few days, wait for the swelling to go down" maggie looks up at me.

"but-"

"no buts! rest." maggie raises a brow at me "i'll be back with some food"

maggie stands up, silently closing the door behind her as she leaves.

i stare at the clock hanging on the wall as the ticking sound fills the empty space. picking at my nails as i listen to the quiet conversations going on downstairs.

i push the covers off of my body and throw my legs over the bed, pushing myself off, silently standing to my full height.

i carefully step towards the door, pushing it open, quickly peering outside, when i see nobody in the hallway i continue to leave silently, walking a few steps to my left before silently pushing open the door.

"i said i'm not hungry, for fucks sake!" i hear daryl's loud voice boom, his back facing me as he stares out the window, swatting his hand behind himself quickly.

"i-" i hesitate for a second "i-it's only me, i'm not here to feed you"

he turns his head, looking back at me, making a small grunting noise before motioning me to come over.

"carol send you up 'ere?" he questions.

"no, no one sent me up here" i sit on the bed, crossing my legs.

"why you here then, kid?" he growls.

"i-i wanted to see how you were doing and i figured it wouldn't be that much trouble as i'm in the room just there" i point towards my room.

"why aren't you out with the others girl? why you stayin in there?" daryl glances at me.

"i injured my leg while i was lost and accidentally tripped up the stairs today, maggie said that i need to stay in there for a few days, wait for the swelling to go down" i look at him, lopsided smile in place.

"then why are you in here, you should be in your room restin" daryl raises a brow, turning towards me.

"well i-"

"perth?!" the door bursts open, maggie and glenn standing in the doorway, panicked.

"yes?" they both sigh loudly.

"you can't worry us like that!" glenn exclaims, marching in, pulling me into his arms and lifting me up.

"you need to rest" maggie says "we're gonna taking her, that alright daryl?"

"ya won't find me complainin" he scowls before turning around.

i frown slightly, watching as he turns back around, glenn carrying me out of the room.

"why was he so mean to me?" i look at glenn and maggie as i'm placed on the bed.

"i don't know sweety" maggie sits next to me on the bed, placing a plate on my lap gently.

"it- rick was talking to daryl the other day, while you were in the woods, i think the conversation might of scared him a little bit, just give him some time" glenn reassures me.

"bullshit!" come the shout from the next room "i just don't wanna be lookin after a snotty nosed little rat that's gonna do nothin but waste my time!"

maggie sits there silently, a sympathetic look painting her features.

glenn blinks a couple times, removing his cap and scratching at his scalp "we- we didn't know you could hear us"

"well i can! so shut it!" daryl yells back.

"eat up, then get some rest" maggie whispers, patting my leg.

glenn and maggie leave, closing the door behind them.

i grab the slice of bread that sits on my plate before taking a bite, small salty droplets trickling down my face.

i wipe my face, placing the plate down before laying down and cuddling into the blankets.

i slowly start to drift off, little sniffles sounding through the quiet room.

darkness starts to take me as i slowly fall asleep.

~~~

i open my eyes slowly, rubbing at my sore eyes, i look across to the bedside table, noticing a new plate of food as well as some water and a little box with a sticky note on it.

i pick it up, ripping the note from the box,

perth,
found this when we were on the highway, thought you might like it
~sorry, kid

is scribbled on it in messy hand writing.

i put the note down and open the small box, inside is a little chain necklace with a little dragon attached to it.

i pull the necklace from its case and slip around my neck carefully.

i grab the plate, nibbling on some of the meat on the plate.

"perth?" lori whispers silently, pushing the door open gently.

"yeah?" i mumble.

"hey, you didn't eat much from earlier, daryl came in to check on you, and your plate was still full. everything alright darling?" lori brushes my hair aside.

"i just wasn't all that hungry" i mumble softly.

she nods silently, "how- how are you holdin up?"

"my leg doesn't hurt all tha-"

"no, i mean- perth, you're all alone- your family, you don't know how they are, you're only a little girl" lori runs her fingers through my hair gently.

"i don't really know, i- i try not to think about it, i need to focus on what's happening right here right now, or who knows what might happen" i reply, picking at my finger nails.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

938 62 11
All alone in an apocalyptic world with most of her family presumed to be dead, and now around a cast of strangers who are not the most welcoming folk...
2K 143 16
Five teens were in Atlanta on a school trip when the world went to shit. They hid out in an apartment near the outskirts of the city so they could go...
1.6K 55 42
Hey all, this is a book I have actually been writing this book since I was a freshmen in high school. Its about my town and the people I have grown u...
73.8K 2.1K 120
Book 1: After 8 years of being held hostage, 15 year old, Madison Smith and her family finally escapes with help from a large group of survivers. The...