Beasts Within Us | Newt Scama...

By DangitNifflers

'I did not ask for the things Ive been through, and I certainly did not ask my mind to paint and repaint the... More

01. Witches among us.
02. Chaos of Change.
03. MACUSA.
04. Evidence.
05. Dont get Attached.
06. Heart sigh
07. Shell shock.
09. Suffer Twice.
10. Convicted.
11. One of Us.
12. Execution.
13. Anticipation.
14. Geminio.
15. Danger.
16. Quiet.
17. Sparks.
18. Impulse.
19. Letting Go.
20. Downpour.
21.Consequences.
22. Somber.
23. Confliction.
24. Goodbye.
25. Terrified.
26. Intimacy.

08. Diamonds and Gold.

559 9 0
By DangitNifflers

  Esther stirs from her sleep. The walls of her skull ache. 'What happened? Did I panic again?'  Unaware of her surroundings, she sits up from the cot. Everything appears blurry. She tries to focus and finds herself in the same shed she entered upon coming inside. She stands up, but her legs almost give way. She holds onto a post to regain posture. She hears  Newt's and Jacob's voices. She follows them.

"I won't remember any of this?" She hears Jacob.

  She stumbles out of the shed closing in on the men.

"Don't you worry. I'll make sure they won't lay a finger on you." Esther groans, walking up to them from behind.

  They turn to look at her with surprised faces.

  "Are you alright? What happened back there?" Jacob jumps with questions. He's seen similar reactions from the time he was part of the war.

  Her eyes veered to the left, "Sometimes my emotions get the best of me.."

  Newts eyes fixate on her, staring blankly.  He's unsure how to feel about her after her reaction. It was solely an emotional response, but she could have endangered everyone. Suddenly her eyes meet his. He looks down.

  "I'm sorry... I was irresponsible in my actions and could have really hurt any of your creatures. I should go. I don't want to hurt anyone." Her apology is sincere.

  "No, don't go. " he blurts out. 'Why did I say that?' His body stiffens, unsure what to say to back it up. "We'll be going to Central Park to find my Erumphent. This may be a three-person job." He looks at the no-maj.

  Jacob hesitates, "All right. Yeah. I'll help you."

  "Are you well enough to join us?" the wizard asks the which.

She nods, starting to regain her balance.

"Come on then." The wizard says picking up the bucket to put away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*--------

  The stars twinkle above them as they make their way through the vacant Diamond district to Central Park. Hence the name, fine jewelry stores line down the strip.  While making way, Newt scans the shops for any movements.

  "I was watching you at dinner." Newt strikes a conversation.

  "Me?" Esther asks.

  Newt turns his head to Jacob. If he was thinking of her, he couldn't possibly tell her that. Esther blushes

  "Oh, yeah? How come?" Jacob replies assuming Newt is speaking to him.

  "People seem to like you, don't they, Mr.Kowalski?"

  He's startled by the assumption, "Oh- well, I'm- I'm sure people like you too- huh?"

  "No, not really. I annoy people."

  "I wouldn't call your unasked for knowledge of creatures annoying, but endearing." Esther quips.

  Jacob lets out a hearty laugh while Newt stops in his tracks to look behind him.

  "That- That's precisely what I was mentioning." He retorts.

  She smiles, pulling hair behind her ear.

  A beat.

  "Do you really find it endearing?" He asks, hunching his shoulders uncomfortably. So many people have complained about it, it's difficult to imagine someone liking it.

  "Well, I-" she stops when she notices Newt's attention has shifted to Jacob.

  He avoids any further embarrassment so he shows quite an interest in the muggle instead.

"Why did you decide to be a baker?" He asks.

  Jacob smiles at the thought of pastries. "Ah well, um- because I'm dying in that canning factory."

  Newts mouth drops and eyes widen by his expression.  He's never heard it before, so he takes it literally.

  Based on his face, Jacob explains further, "Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life outta you. You like canned food? "

  They shake their heads in unison.

  "Me either. That's why I want to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy. We're going this way." He directs the group.

  Esther is moved by his pure intentions.  He's like a breath of fresh air compared to the stuffy people at the MACUSA.  She finds him to be an interesting no-maj with such a big heart.  They follow Jacob's direction.

  "Did you get your loan?" Newt's attention grows for his new friend's dreams.

  "Er, no. I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long apparently. I don't know." The no-maj says disappointed in his luck. He did a lot in the four years he was there to come back to the states, the land of opportunity, empty-handed.

  Newt shakes with shock. "What? You fought in the war?" He inquires.

  "Of course I fought in the war. Everyone fought in the war- you guys didn't fight in the war?" Jacob responds.

  "I worked mostly with dragons, Ukrainian Ironbellies. Eastern Front."

  "I didn't contribute... I was too young to participate. " Esther chimes.

  The men gawk at her with dis relief in their faces.

  "Wait, how old are you?" Jacob wonders aloud.

  Before she could answer, she sees Newt going astray. She chases him, realizing the trail of diamonds. He steps back at a slower pace. His niffler stands still on the display case with bracelets, watches, and chokers draped on his arm as if he's a display piece. The wizard stares at the unbelievable sight. His mouth is gaping and eyebrows raised. The Niffler senses eyes on him and slowly turns. They make eye contact.

  A beat.

  Suddenly the Niffler scurries further into the jewelry store. The wizard pulls out his wand.

  "Finestra" he casts

  The window of the store cracks into hundreds of pieces then falls to the floor. He leaps into the store and throws open drawers and cupboards, desperate to find his creature.

Jacob stands next to Esther sharing a skeptical gaze at the crazed wizard. From an outsider's perspective, it looks as if he's looting the store.

  The Niffler climbs on the shoulder of his owner to jump to higher ground. Unfortunately for it, Newt follows suit. His Niffler will not get away with this again. Newt jumps towards a desk then crashes to the ground with a loud thud. Now the Niffler sits on the Crystal chandelier. Newt attempts to grab him from it, but slips, clinging to the chandelier as well. It swings wildly as Newt's determination has him aimlessly grabbing for his niffler on the fixture.

  The witch's eyes chase after the wizard and his niffler. Panic bubbles within her, hoping she doesn't impulsively react to them carelessly crashing into the delicate cases. Jacob takes a gander on the streets, ensuring no one can hear the chaos that's happening.

SMASH

  Esther's instincts kick in, causing her to jump out of her skin. A gasp breaks her silence as she turns from the scene. The chandelier slams to the floor. The Niffler, quick little bugger, is up instantly desperate to flee. Newt freezes hearing the witch shout, just for a moment. His eyes shift from the niffler to Esther. Her back is turned. Lost in the moment, he redirects his attention back to his creature. His feet putter patter on the glass display case full of jewelry. Newt's back up again. Dashing to the critter.

  A catch pops up from his case with a roar coming from inside. Jacobs' eyes trace to the case, alarmed. He holds his breath and closes the latch. A sigh of relief.

  The wizard climbs a tall jewelry case that the Niffler sits upon. It barely stands with their weight and falls onto another display window.

Silence.

  They halt as the window bears their weight. A crack forms on the window. His eyes follow the crack as it multiplies underneath him. Abruptly, although expected, the glass collapses underneath them, spilling over the pavement including the both of them.

Hearing the crash causes her skin to crawl, yearning to escape the sound. Her hands press against her mouth, muffling her scream aiming to conceal her fright. Her heel shakes into the grout of the street, leaving her unbalanced.  Taking advantage of the situation the niffler bolts down the street.

The wizard fumbles to his feet to unsheath his wand, "Accio!"

The animals stop in their tracks to be pulled back to Newt. During this, it stares longingly at the most mesmerizing display it's ever seen. Jewels, rings, and necklaces fly towards the group from its pouch. The men weave through them to follow the creature.

  It reaches a lamppost as it gravitates to the wizard. It's little paw wraps around it and flings himself to the window it was gawking at. Freedom!

  Newt casts another charm at the window. The niffler collides with it, only to its dismay, he's stuck. He tries to wiggle out but clings more to it. Newt walks to the creature, breathing heavily. His palms rest on his waist, leaning towards his troublemaker.

"All right? Happy?" He asks.

  He pulls with all his might to free the niffler from the jelly that is the window. As he does, jewelry falls off him.

Police sirens.

"One down, two to go," He says to himself.

  Police cars race through the streets to the troupe. Newt shakes the niffler empty once more. Diamonds of many forms fall from it. The police cars pull up to them and aim their guns at the men. Jacob holds up his hands to surrender with jewelry falling down off his shoulders.

"They went that way, officer..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

539K 6.4K 68
Draco Malfoy love story. Friendship, smut, love, hate, trauma, broken hearts. MATURE CONTENT! 15+ ~ "You make me feel like I'm stuck, Emelia! Like I'...
34.3K 879 81
❈ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐮𝐬 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐮𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞 ❈ 〖 Harry Potter x Fem!reader - Mas...
4.7K 346 65
Book 2/4 (After 1/4, Risen 3/4) Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy have finally gotten used to a quiet life together in America. But unexpected circumstan...
21.3K 956 24
**MATURE THEMES/SMUT** Picking up the pieces of a mess you didn't make is never a great experience. Walking into your seventh year, with an undeniabl...