Yami Darkness

By NaomiLucifer

The book tells the story of a young, ambitious girl whom people neglected because of her lack of powers. Nev... More

Chapter 1: Aria Yami's Origin

22 3 0
By NaomiLucifer

Just once, Aria saw a real shooting star. It wasn't during summer vacation; it was from the window of her house. For people living in a town with crisp air and truly dark nights, shooting stars are not uncommon, but unfortunately, Lastonbell City, where she had lived for all fourteen years of her life, has neither of those qualities. Even on a clear night, the most that can be seen with the naked eye is second magnitude stars.

But, late one midwinter night, when she happened to glance outside of her window on a whim, she definitely saw it. On that deep night without many stars, the city lights formed a pallid shroud covering the sky. And in an instant, it was cut through by a quick flash of light. Her soon-to-be 8th-grade self thought childishly, "Must make some kind of wish"...which up to that point was fine, but the wish that appeared in her mind was, "I wish my powers would awaken", with a feeling of pled and ambition.

As much as aria loved the beauty that was the starry night sky; she decided it was time to head to bed. Tomorrow she hoped would be the day... the day where her life from here on out would change.

_______________________________

Upon waking, Aria burrowed herself into the warm, soft sheets. Suddenly reminisces of last night come calling back to her. Slowly and reluctantly, she uncovers her face. she blinks, closes her eyes, and blinks again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind her. she sits up, drags her feet off the bed, and rubs her knuckles into her eyes. Aria stretches her arms above her head and yawns. As she watches her legs dangle above the off-white polyester carpet.

Deciding that life wasn't going to wait for her to get ready on her own time she gets up from her silken mattress. She looks at the mirror. If a cat had eaten her hair and puked it back out, then let it dry in the sun, it would look just the same; the tangle would take hours to brush out.

"Aria! Someone here's for you." A sing-song tone calls from downstairs, making aria have to respond back with a rough tone.

"Coming mom!" As the thoughts of who could it be rushed through Aria's head, she decides to not think about it and see whom it is instead of speculation.

________________________________

As she descends down getting further to the last step, she hears faint voices coming from the entrance of the door. It's soon revealed that the mysterious person was aria's best friend, Hanako Akemi.

"Oh! Hi Aria... I...came to wish you good luck on the hero's examination!" Her friend manages to mutter, as she fidgets with her hands clearly not knowing what to do with them.

"...H-Hanako! Thank you!" The girl smiles, her voice cracking from the sheer happiness of Hanako's sweet words. Deciding the best way to show her appreciation was to give the shy girl a big hug.

The hug didn't last too long as Aria notices her friend's discomfort, deciding the best option was to pull back.

"You're very welcome... um... and don't worry! We'll be cheering you on!"

Aria knew that even if she was what they would call a "late bloomer" or "late to the party" Hanako and her mother was always there by her side.

However, Aria was broken out of her thoughts at the sound of laughter that was coming from both sides of her.

"Also... nice bed hair." Hanako was doubled over with laughter and pointing feebly with a shaky finger; While her mom's shoulders were shaking in silent laughter.

"Hanako!" She turns her head to the side to avert her gaze, but the sudden rosiness of her cheeks gave her away.

"Ok, ok... I'll be leaving then."

She gives one last look before waving off as the door shuts behind her.

"I'm going to go get ready." She calls, as she was already making her way towards the stairs.

"Ok darling, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me."

________________________________

She walks leisurely to the shower, steam filling the room as she cuts the shower on. She bathes her skin lightly, thoughts of last night come crossing her mind.

Even though aria knows it's that time of the year again; she can't help but feel the excitement all over again like her first time taking the test.

She was nervous as well since all her other previous times were all fails. Not only that, but the hero's exam is broadcast all over the city which causes many rumors to spread around.

She chooses not to let it get to her too much since she doesn't care what others think about her.

________________________________

Getting out of the shower surprisingly enough was way too quickly for her liking, she heads to her bedroom.

The room contained a small bed, barely made, a bureau, where she liked to do most of her songwriting and occasional homework from school. There were drapery curtains at the dormer windows, pictures on the wall mainly of her best friends.

But her room consists of pretty simple things. However, somehow the room itself felt like it was missing something yet aria couldn't put her finger on what.

She puts on her standard uniform required for school, a white button-up shirt, a peach colored skirt. Just to add her own flavored to it, she worn a black jacket with her black and white stocking.

Just as aria was finishing up, she heard a knock at the door.

"Come in!"

The door opens to reveal her mom holding a sort of brown package. "Well don't you look fancy?" Her mom faintly giggles, a shaky smile forming on her lips as her eyes got misty eyed.

"M-mom... what are you talking about I look like I always do!" Aria's cheeks are suddenly kissed pink as a spring rose.

"I know... but you remind me of someone who was so rambunctious like that; sort of like my first time." She giggles at the memory wiping a tear that manages to roll down her cheek.

"Well... go ahead! open it." She urges the brunette to open it, pushing the little box towards the girl.

She opens it to reveal a small hair clip in the shape of a music note.

"I love it! Thank you so much!" She wraps her arms around her mom. Aria snuggles in,

"You're one of the few people who has ever believed in me." Her mom snickers, "Well, love, that is a mother's job." In that movement, the arms squeeze a fraction tighter and Aria breathes more slowly, her body melting into her mom's as every muscle lost its tension to the spring air. This was happening, really happening.

Her mom gave her one more gentle squeeze before letting go and looking at her daughter again.

"You're going to do great. I believe in you."

"I know. You've always have."

"Well! I better get going, before I'm late for the exams!" She gets on her tiptoes to give her mom a kiss on the cheek. "I can't wait to tell you the good news!"

She grabs her bag from her chair and heads to the door.

"Wish me-

"You already have it, now get going!" Her mom smirked, folding her arms.

"Bye!" As the sound of the girl's bedroom door closes; the faint noises of the stairs echo to silent ness.

________________________________

Even though Aria has seen this building so many times it still mesmerizes her.

The charming, alluring exterior of Sefria, School Of Heroes. Aria has wanted to attend this academy for as long as she can remember.

This school is apparently only for the hero elites. The tests are meant to manifest powers, but the high chance of that is 67%. It's always not guaranteed that you'll succeed the first time around.

Aria knows this given the fact that this is her fourth time entering; while it's always unassured that you'll gain your power the first time, it shouldn't take three or more times to fail.

People usually give up after the second go; because if you haven't manifested your power by the age of 13, it's considered useless to even continue trying.

She doesn't want to give up, though. Aria knows she's acting stubborn, but it has always been her life goal to attend this academy and unlock her potential.

Aria is taken out of her thoughts as the sounds of whispers being heard left and right of her.

"So that's the girl?"

"Yeah. I heard she failed like six times."

"Woah. If I was her I just wouldn't bother anymore."

Aria wasn't going to be discouraged not by these people. Not by these no-names who wouldn't even bother researching the truth, that the girl hasn't failed that number of times.

She wasn't going to.

Not now.

Not when she was so close to her dreams that she could literally touch it.

Even so, there were still people who wanted to test that theory.

"Hey Yami!" A somewhat familiar, but loudly grating voice calls out to the brunette. As the individual saunters her way over to aria.

"I heard you're going to be entering again this year as well," the redhead smirks, tilting her head sideways.

"Oh. It's you, Ava! Surprise to see you as well!" Aria smiles at the girl, as she was going in giving the girl a hug. The girl moves out of the way in a quick manner.

"I always hated that optimistic personality of yours."

"And I always enjoyed that lousy personality you have too!" Aria, in turn, did the smirking this time as the red hair face exploded with angry.

"Why you little bi-

Suddenly, a honeyed voice calls out to the girls; a tall individual comes into the between them.

"Ok girls, settle down there's no need for fighting." He soothes trying to calm down both of the girls.

"Whatever it's not like I wanted to fight a girl without powers anyway..." She shrugs, walking away to the exam's doors.

Aria now noticing a crowd that was gathered around them now has slowly dispersed.

"Aria you know the rules..." The boy sighs, adjusting his glasses.

"I know... I'm sorry Mamoru." She explains to her childhood friend looking down at the cobblestone ground.

"Well... as long as you know then it should be fine." He averts his gaze as he adjusts his glasses once more.

"Might as well as get going now. It's close to being time." Mamoru states matter of fact tone as he points to the registration center.

"Ah! You're right! I'll see you soon!" She already gets moving, waving at the navy haired boy.

________________________________

"Excuse me, my name is Aria Yami, I'm a candidate for the hero exams."

The examiner looks up at Aria; dark circles around her eyes from the obvious all-nighters she has to put to do her job.

"Ok... sign here."

The woman grabs a stamping tool from underneath the booth and stamps aria registration, confirming that the girl is participating in the exams.

Just as the girl was about ready to head towards the doors, she gets a text message from Mamoru.

Moru: Good luck out there! Hana and I will be waiting for the good news. ^_^

The girl smiles knowing that her family and friends would always believe in her.

She puts more pep in her step and gets moving towards the huge glaring doors.

________________________________

"Hnnh... it's been about an hour now..." Hanako mutters as she fidgets with her hands.

"Yeah... it's usually never this long. Each test only consists of five minutes." Mamoru states as he stops his movements of going up and down the waiting area.

Both of the two friends, however, stop in their conversation as the sound of bursting is heard from the examination door.

"W-why...? Why is this happening to me?!" A fast shadow darts to the end of the hallway.

"...wait Mamoru... was that person just now..?"

"Yami?"

They both look at other, nodding their heads.

They stated that if aria happens to not manifest her powers they were going to be there for her, and they're going to keep that promise.

"Aria wait!" Mamoru calls, dashing to the shadow that disappears around the corner. His long legs making him move quicker than the shorter girl closely behind him.
_________

They eventually reached the girl as she's now stuck in the corner. The girl is trembling along with silent stiffs.

The brunette eventually turns around at the duo.

"Hey guys..." the girl croaks, a wet smile forming on the girl's lip. The obvious hurt in that smile.

"Aria..."

"It's ok... it's ok." The girl told them, but it was more like the words were for the girl as if she was telling them to reassure herself.

Yet the girl's eyes couldn't lie and her wall broke in those seconds.

She ran over to the boy.

She sobs into his chest unceasingly, hands clutching at his jacket. He held her in silence, rocking her slowly as her tears soak his chest. A tiny lapse let her pull away, blinking lashes heavy with tears, before she collapses again, her howls of misery worsening. The pain must have come in waves, minutes of sobbing broken apart by short pauses for recovering breaths, before hurling her back into the outstretched arms of her grief.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.9K 57 13
Smut 18+ ONLY! ⚠️WARNING⚠️ ⚠️CONTAINS MUTURE CONTENT⚠️ 22 year old Raven Johnson is just going to her yearly doctors appointment, little does she kno...
1.5M 105K 25
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series ( CAN BE READ STANDALONE ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spread...
118K 4.8K 45
(This is not machine translated!) (Starts from chapter 241.) A guy in his late twenties one day wakes up in someone else's body and realises he's gon...
87.7K 7.6K 49
What if Arnav gets a chance to rectify all his mistakes? What if he gets a chance to avoid such situations? What if he gets to know Khushi is his wou...