DANIELLA✔

By Daniel_lexy

The novel, Daniella, chronicles the odyssey of a teenage orphan who is raised by her grandparents in the vill... More

Author's Note
Reviews
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Question/Answer
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter thirty-two
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter thirty-nine
Chapter forty
The Miracle

Chapter thirty-five

2.6K 364 135
By Daniel_lexy

FORGIVENESS. That was the word boldly written on the board. It was the third period and on the class time table, we had Christian religion studies aka CRS aka Bible studies and the subject teacher was presently in class.

"Forgiveness. That's the topic we'd be treating today." Mrs Christian, the CRS teacher, said as she turned to face the class. "I want to believe the word is not new to anyone here. So who can boldly stand up and tell the class what it means to forgive?"

Adam was the only one that raised up his hands above his head. He was a bright and vocal student.

"Yes Adam." Mrs Christian gestured for him to speak. Practically everyone turned their heads back to look in our direction.

Adam rose up majestically. "To forgive simply means to let go of a grudge." He answered.

"Brilliant! Jam your hands together for him." Mrs Christian said impressively. We clapped our hands in one accord. "Any other person wants to say something before we proceed?"

Prudence lifted up her hands.

"Yes Prudence." Mrs Christian gestured for her to speak.

"To forgive means to like uh, pardon someone." Prudence said, gesticulating.

Mrs Christian curved her lips downwards and nodded her head. "That's equally correct. The word forgive literally means to let it out. To let go. Maybe you've been hurt by someone and you're saying 'I'll never forgive them unless they admit what they've done and ask for my forgiveness.' What if they never do? Or you're saying 'I'll never forgive them because of what they did to me really got to my neck..." From the corner of my eyes, I saw Adam look at me as Mrs Christian said that. "...You're not the only one that have been hurt. Jesus was hurt also. He was hurt by the ones he loved. But then, he refused to hold a grudge. Instead He prayed, 'Father, forgive them. For they know not what they do.' The instance he said those words, he moved to a different realm—and you can too!"

"Forgiveness really has nothing to do with the other person. It's a decision you make. It's like releasing carbon dioxide from your body because you know it will hurt you if you hold on to it. That's the same way it is with holding a grudge. It hurts you as an individual, even though you pretend like it doesn't. Why don't you let go off all the bitterness and unforgiveness and breath in God's love. Life's too short to keep people in the prison of your resentment. No matter how bad someone has hurt you, learn to be the bigger person by saying, 'This ends here and now, and it ends with me!' Remember Jesus told us that no matter how many times one offends us a day, we must forgive seventy times seven times. I'm sure you know what that means. And the truth is, nobody can even offend us to that extent. But the point is to always forgive, no matter the offense. Any question before I proceed further?" Mrs Christian asked and kept quiet, waiting for a question from us.

One thing I liked about Mrs Christian was her teaching and how she gave ample room for questions. Her teaching today made me reflect on my relationship with Peter. I was much too full of resentment towards Peter. How could I forgive him despite how bad he had hurt me? It wasn't as easy as one might like to think. It was easier taught than done. But still, I made a mental note to confront him to hear his explanation for the video footage.

Peter raised his hand and stood up to ask a question. For some reason, my heart skipped a beat. "Ma, so you're saying if I've offended someone here, once I ask for forgiveness, it would only be good for the person to forgive me, right?" He asked

"Yes, even before you ask." Mrs Christian answered.

"Okay but what if the person doesn't and on my part I'm really sorry?" Peter probed further.

I didn't need anyone to tell me that Peter was somehow referring to us.

"I think he is referring to you and himself." Adam whispered in my ear.

I rolled my eyes.

"Then in that case, you let the person be. At least you apologised and you know deep down that you're indeed sorry. It's now left to the person to forgive. It's not in your place to force the person to forgive you." Mrs Christian answered the question.

"Okay ma, my final question. In a situation whereby someone lies to my friend about something I didn't do and my friends swallows the lies and then get upset with me. In your opinion ma, wouldn't it only be reasonable for my friend to talk to me about it to confirm if I did whatever he or she was told or not before getting upset with me?"

"Yes mister Peter. Why are you asking these questions anyway? Did you offend someone or did anybody offend you?" Mrs Christian asked him.

Yes he did. He offended me. More like hurt me.

Peter snorted in a chuckle as he sat down. "I'm just asking ma."

"All right, if you say so. Any other question?" Mrs Christian asked.

Just then, an offensive smell hit my nose hard like a blow. It smelled of rotten egg. I squeezed my face in a grimace. I looked around to see if I was the only one smelling it and apparently, I wasn't. Some people were already covering their nose with their hands or uniform collar, while some were fanning their nose with their hands.

"What's that smell?" Mrs Christian grimaced. "Who farted?"

A loud mumble erupted in the class.

"I asked who farted!" She reiterated angrily.

People started to whisper to their seat partners, increasing the noise. The person who farted knew himself or herself, but would never own up.

"Argh! You children are disgusting! I'm out of here." She walked out of the class angrily, ignoring our calls and pleas. Had she forgotten she just taught us on forgiveness?

***

As Adam and I were preparing to go to the canteen, Peter walked up to me, tucking in his already tucked in shirt.

"Hey Daniella." He called, fumbling with his collar. Was he nervous?

I didn't say anything but stare at his face. It was then I realised how much I had missed the handsome guy standing right in front of me. Boy was Peter adorable!

"Okay Daniella, I'd be waiting for you outside." Adam said, walking away. "And Peter good luck!"

Peter smiled at him and then looked back at me.

"That video—" Peter started when I cut him short as he was about to touch me.

"Don't touch me! Just say whatever you have to say."

There was a brief and tense silence between the both of us.

"Is that how much the video hurt you Daniella?" He finally asked.

How dare he ask me that question? How dare he! Of course it did hurt me jerk! If Peter had not spoken, I would have said that.

"The kiss was just a game, I swear. Prudence dared me to kiss her for a minute and the penalty for not doing it was to drink a full cup of unclean bitter leaf water. I couldn't do that, so I had no other option than to do the dare. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Please forgive me."

"Wow! Nice one! Please think again if you think I'm going to believe that!"

"I'm not—"

"I can't even believe you would look at me and still lie to my face." I cut Peter off. "You disgust the hell out of me. To even think you came here to admit what you did and apologise!" I shook my head and was about to brush past him, but he stood in my way and held me back.

"I said don't touch me!" I said, swatting his hands off my arm.

"Listen Daniella, I'm not lying! Believe me, I'm not! I can't even believe you think I'm lying."

We got a few stares from surrounding students, because Peter said that aloud. I squirmed.

"Can we go outside and talk about this?" Peter suggested.

"I'm not going anywhere with you." I said firmly.

Peter let out a sharp breath, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Daniella can you stop being annoying and let's go out and talk about this."

"You heard me the first time. I said no!" I folded my arms around my chest and looked away.

Peter looked at me for long without saying anything.

He broke the silence with a peal of laughter. I cocked one of my brows at him, wondering why he was laughing.

"You know I've told you before that you really look so cute when you're angry." He said.

I rolled my eyes, maintaining my stern face.

"Oya smile na. I'm really sorry. It hurts to see you this way. I actually cried yesterday because of you."

Wow! I was surprised to hear Peter say that and at the same time, it made my heart melt. Was it not just weird that I was happy to know Peter cried because of me? Well it just showed that he cared about me just like I did about him. But then again, what if he just said that to make me forgive him.

"I also cried because of you Peter, so stop playing the pity card." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Dammit! I'm not playing any stupid pity card!" He bellowed. "You're hurting me with what you're saying Daniella."

"You also hurt me by kissing Prudence, so..."

"But I already told you it was a dare."

"Liar!"

"How many times do you want me to tell you that I'm not lying to you Daniella?"

"If it was a game like you say, why didn't I see anyone around you guys?" I asked.

"The person that shot that video obviously had it in mind to show you, that's why he or she shot it in such a way that it was zoomed to our faces so you would think we were alone. Didn't you even notice the video was muted?"

Peter was right. The video was muted. What if Adam was right about the video being all Charles and Prudence's plan to break up my relationship with Peter? I mean, Peter said Prudence was the one who dared him to kiss her, and for all I know, Charles had a crush on me, so Adam's assumption could just be right. I was deep in thought before Peter ripped me off it.

"You noticed, right?"

"Yes I did notice that. But you shouldn't have played the game in the first place."

"When I think about it now, yeah, maybe I shouldn't have. I'm really so sorry Daniella."

I rolled my eyes as I smiled. "Should I forgive you sef?"

"Remember the topic today." Peter said, smiling.

"Oh puh-lease! I suspected you were going to make reference to the topic in our conversation today."

He chuckled. "So am I forgiven?"

"Err..." I cocked my head and rubbed my jaw thoughtfully. "You're on probation for now."

"Probation!" He whined. "Why can't you just forgive me?"

"Because I don't want to."

He chuckled. "You will soon. Who sent you that video by the way?"

"Charles did."

Peter's face morphed into a murderous look instantly. "That bastard! I should have known he was the one."

"Please don't hurt him or even confront him about it."

"Well I'm not promising you that."

"Peter!"

"What? It's because of him I almost lost you." He shrugged.

"No, it's because you kissed Prudence."

"If he hadn't done a video coverage, you wouldn't have known."

"Still, don't touch him. Promise me you wouldn't fight him Peter."

"I feel so jealous that are you protecting him." Peter said, frowning.

"Pfft! Protecting him? Like he wouldn't beat you sef! I just want the issue to die down."

"Whatever!" He rolled his eyes.

"You know, you deserve some spanking for kissing another girl, right?"

"Yes ma, I'm sorry I wouldn't do it again." He said in an Indian accent, dragging his ear and shaking his head. I had seen that gesture in Bollywood movies, so I burst out laughing.

"You're not serious."

That was how I spent my whole break talking and cracking my ribs with Peter. I had really missed being with him.

***

"Aw, I'm glad you finally forgave Peter." Adam said as we trio were leaving school together. "Is it because of Mrs Christian teaching?"

"No. And point of correction, I didn't forgive Peter. He's only on probation for the mean time." I said, squinting my eyes because of the bright, blazing sun.

"Better!" Gbemi said. She seemed unexcited about Peter and I reconciliation.

"Gbemi, what's your own with Peter and Daniella's relationship, biko?" Adam asked.

I looked at Gbemi, expecting an answer. It was actually the same question I was going to ask her.

"Nothing o. I just feel Daniella should punish Peter a bit for what he did." Gbemi shrugged.

"You don't like Peter?" I asked her.

"I have other better things to do than to hate on him. Really." Gbemi answered.

"Daniella, don't mind her. She just hate boys. Nobody knows if she's even les." Adam said.

"Oh that does it pussyboy!" Gbemi threw her hands up in the air. "Now let me get this straight with you mister smart, just because I'm not in a relationship with a guy doesn't mean I do girls. I'm straight. Like fucking straight, okay? So don't ever in your life, not even in the next life to come, call me a lesbian. Or else, you wouldn't like me." That said, she stormed off, moving in another direction.

Adam and I didn't call after her. I personally didn't because I was surprised by the sudden turn of event.

"Adam you know you're at fault right? That wasn't a very good thing to say. You know how much you hate being called the G-word and still you called her les." I said.

"I feel terrible, but I can't believe Gbemi called me a pussyboy." Adam said.

"You called her les first. That makes you both even." That said, we got to the junction where we usually parted ways and moved in different directions without bidding each other good bye.

____________________________________________

This chapter though. What do you have to say? I love to read from you guys.

For those that guessed that it was an old video, well Peter was never dating Prudence. Prudence had a crush on him and she still do. So it couldn't have been an old video. And for those that guessed it was a game, oh well, you're a good guesser.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 33.8K 77
Laila Sofela is an easy going, carefree and intelligent sixteen year old orphan that lives with her aunty. Her dreams came true when she was given sc...
15.2K 4.4K 68
She is beautiful. He is handsome. She is rich and kind. He is wealthy and arrogant. She believes in love and finding her soulmate. He hates love and...
7.6M 174K 73
Rosé My past haunts me. It has tainted me. But I haven't let it ruin my happiness. I only want love but I'm afraid of not being enough. And crushing...
734 338 35
𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 : 1. 𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓯𝓪𝓶𝓸𝓾𝓼, 𝓹𝓸𝓹𝓾𝓵𝓪𝓻. 2. 𝓔𝓷𝓲𝓰𝓶𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓬, 𝓮𝓶𝓫𝓵𝓮𝓶𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓬. - Not your normal high school story. In the h...