Devotion // Patrick Kane

By alittlebitbias

A man devoted to his woman can be hard to come by. But they do exist.. and that's what Patrick Kane is to her... More

1 • PILOT
2 • PARTY
4 • NEW TEAM
5 • PATRICK KANE
6 • NEIGHBORS
7 • ADJUSTING TO THE NHL
8 • COMFORT
9 • MIDDAY BLUES
10 • NEW COACH
11 • DRINKING WOES
12 • 30TH BIRTHDAY
13 • MIXED EMOTIONS
14 • SPEED
15 • NIGHT IN
16 • DALLAS
17 • CHRISTMAS
18 • WINTER CLASSIC PT1
19 • WINTER CLASSIC PT2
20 • CONFUSION
21 • STORM
22 • AFTER THE STORM
23 • TOGETHER
24 • OFF WEEK PT1
25 • OFF WEEK PT2
26 • QUESTIONS

3 • OFFICIALLY A HAWK

2.2K 42 0
By alittlebitbias

july 2018

THE BLACKHAWKS developmental camp had come to a close after a solid week. The camp had gone fantastically for the young female goalie. She was able to shine during her time in the crease and left the other prospects and coaches in awe. Apart of her didn't know how she pulled it off, she assumed it was luck and her adrenaline carrying her. The entire time, from when Parker awoke, to playing on the ice, working out and then going to bed- she was nervous. Her chest was in constant knots and everything made her stomach lurch. She wasn't this sort of person, she was normally so calm.

Parker was now packing her bags, getting ready to start heading back to her hotel room. She wasn't quite sure what would be happening next, there wasn't anymore college hockey for her to head back to. And maybe that was why she was really so nerve-wracked. The fear of the unknown with her situation was finally hitting her. She didn't have a plan if hockey didn't work out. She didn't even bother to try to find a job, she had to figure something out. And she'd work for it endlessly if she had to.

As one of the last people still in the MB Ice Arena locker room; she was taking it all in. The love she had for this game was far beyond anything else. Her chest felt filled with emotions that she could hardly comprehend. To be here always meant the world, but Parker was determined to make more of herself, and do whatever it would take.

Parker jumped at the sound of a door closing, breaking her deep train of thought. Standing only feet from her was Coach Quenneville. She had brief conversations with the head coach before; which, he always had some sort of praise to throw her way, along with ways to improve her game. He was a fairly intimidating older man who had mounds of respect and knowledge; and being a decorated coach made her feel awestruck to be in his presence.

Her voice felt caught in her throat as she could only straighten her posture to, hopefully, look more professional. It was rare for Parker to feel so off balanced and taken back in a situation. She was one of the most calm-minded people who was unbothered by a lot. Playing things cool was something she was good at. Except for right now, she was sure she looked terrified.

"Miss Sullivan, if you could follow me." With a confident nod, Parker strode after Quenneville. She clutched to her bag as she did her best to keep in stride with the Coach.

It felt like an eternity before the two arrived at the office, every twist and turn they took made the young girl feel sick to her stomach. As Parker walked into the Blackhawk's Head Coach's office, the one person she immediately noticed was- Stan Bowman. Her heart basically dropped at the sight of him sitting, with white paperwork crisp against the dark wooded desk. She couldn't stop her mind from wandering.

"Take a seat," The two men had taken their seats and stared at the girl with assuring looks on their faces, "we're very happy with your improvement over the last four years." Quenneville smiled at her through his mustache. He decided to cut right to the chase with her.

"Thank you." Parker said coolly. On the inside she felt her stomach lurch with nerves.

"We know the topic of a woman in the NHL has been rather.. hot right now, all because you're finally out of college and eligible to compete." The two men shared looks. They were both equally excited to have her here and give her some good news she couldn't decline.

Coach Q continued, "But we'd like to put aside the fact you're a lady and ask you to sign a contract. We want you here because of your skill. You're starter goalie material, and with Crawford making a comeback, it would be great to have you here getting better."

Parker was sure her face was flushed. She felt like she was hearing things incorrectly, and suddenly she didn't even feel like she was in her own body. "Sign a contract". Those words echoed in her head; she'd be an NHL goalie.

"So what do you say?" Bowman pushed a pen her way.

Parker allowed a smile to grow on her lips, "absolutely."

          The following hour made Parker feel like she was stuck in a madhouse. The Blackhawk's media team came in immediately for pictures and an interview. Parker was paraded in front of multiple groups of people for introductions, and even some rules. Everyone was kind and excited for her to be on the team and get started. Parker couldn't believe she'd have to wait almost two months before season started. But now, it was official that there was a woman in the NHL, and it was absolutely everywhere. And everyone had an opinion on it.

•••

Parker felt like a young child waking up on Christmas morning. She had the biggest smile on her face with excitement coursing through her as she got back to her room. The curtains were still drawn, the setting sunlight streamed through the curtains into the darkened room. Immediately she went and flung open the heavy fabric so she could look out onto the city. Chicago was absolutely beautiful. Parker felt that she was in heaven as she looked over the skyscrapers, buildings and traffic. The sky was painted a tremendous blue mixed in with purple and orange as the hour grew closer to night.

She was feeling many emotions all at once. It felt unbelievable to think she'd be joining the Chicago Blackhawks and play in the NHL. As happy as she was though, she knew she needed to continue to fight for her spot on the roster. Parker could only hope her normal stress-free thinking would benefit her now.

Parker was an extremely laid back person. She likes to take things and strides and almost never got stressed out. In a way, she was rather unpretentious. However, she complimented those character traits by being easy to talk to, and very sarcastic. Her humor was one where she could make jabs at anyone and feel comfortable doing so. People were always taken back by the type of person she was, they never seemed to expect a girl to have the spitting personality of a college boy. Parker knew how she was perceived, and knew it was just how she was. But, if someone got close enough to her, they'd see plenty more.

It was getting late and amongst all the excitement she felt, Parker realized there were plenty of people she needed to reach out to. Her phone was blowing up from friends and family with loving messages of congratulations.

Parker was born and raised in Texas, and that was where her family was right now. She couldn't wait to talk to them. Her family was rather large and they liked to do everything together, so being alone for this was foreign. But whenever she got to go back home next, or see them next, there would be a celebration without a doubt.

She absolutely adored her very southern family that fit every stereotype. Not being home through high school was hard because she saw all the events she missed and would have wanted her parents with her. They visited her constantly, and did so during college too. The best way to describe them, was also as a family that liked their football, bonfires and drinks. She turned into quite the partier at home and it carried over easily at Michigan. Maybe teaching your daughter to shotgun a beer at fourteen wasn't ideal parenting, but Parker wouldn't want any other family. Her multiple cousins, aunts and uncles all lived within walking or driving distance of each other. Parker was used to being around other people with how she was raised. And that made not having any of her friends or family with her and Chicago scary.

Picking up her phone, Parker clicked on the contact that read, Dad, and the phone started to ring.

Parker and her father, Dan, had more of a friend relationship where they could joke around about anything. He loved being able to embarrass her whenever he could. She definitely wished they could be together more.

"Hello, how's my sweet girl doin?" Her father picked up the phone quickly. Back home they were all waiting for word from her.

"Hey dad! I'm sure y'all saw the news." Parker was sure he could clearly tell how excited she was. She couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear, and Parker wasn't someone to act this happy for long.

"Of course we did! We're so proud of you out here! Grandma's been asking about you, so make sure you call her. Your Aunt Marie wants to know when you'll be home-"

"Dad, dad," she laughed, "I think I can come home soon for a little bit. When I do, I'll tell y'all everything. Okay?"

"That sounds good. You gettin along with people?" her dad was the type that definitely pried in her life. He used to be all over her when it came to hockey.

"Yes sir, at least with everyone I've met."

"Okay. Now make sure you just be yourself with everyone... don't tell anyone you're an alcoholic though!"

"Oh my god dad!!" Parker interrupted, "I told you I'm done drinking like that. Stop making fun of me for it!"

"I just think it's funny. Have fun drinking wine at dinners and having to force yourself to only have one beer!" Parker had made plenty of stupid choices back in college, some in high school too. But her drinking and couple month long nicotine addiction didn't help her health or the fact she went out constantly.

"Oh I'm going to have a great time." Parker could feel the phone vibrating which signaled she was getting more texts. Her and her dad could talk for hours, but she didn't have that time right now, "I'm gonna hang up okay? Talk soon."

"Love you!"

"Love you too dad." Click.

She started scrolling through some of her texts. Most of them were from Cooper, the others were family. Parker figured she'd have all her former teammates at her house before the season started. She knew she'd be home soon to see her family, and thinking about next summer would be when she'd see her friends, that sucked.

Parker turned on the hotel tv and started flipping through the channels. Spending time alone wasn't her favorite thing, she didn't like being cooped up in a hotel. Parker liked having other people around, even if they never spoke. She loved interaction and she almost needed it to survive. And honestly, she didn't know what she would do if her reception wasn't taken well by the Hawks team. These were grown adults, not a bunch of stupid college aged boys that would die for a girl teammate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 129 11
Jamie and Patrick are like a cat and a dog; they don't get along. After Jamie St.Cloud joins the Chicago Blackhawks as an intern during college, she...
253K 4K 53
Sometimes it's easier to stay with someone you've been with. You've opened up, let them know all your secrets and darkest thoughts. But it's not alwa...
39.4K 930 85
Patrick Kane is NHLs bad boy. It's not that he's trying to live up to the name, it's just who he is. After getting knocked out of the playoffs in the...
52.9K 914 77
Patrick Kane has all the confidence in the world, on the ice that is. Off of it he come across a road block he's not quite familiar with, and that's...