๐‹๐„๐“'๐’ ๐Š๐ˆ๐‹๐‹ ๐“๐Ž๐๐ˆ๏ฟฝ...

By ladylorianz

โ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ'๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ต๐˜บ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ.โž the umbrella academy season o... More

๐‹๐„๐“'๐’ ๐Š๐ˆ๐‹๐‹ ๐“๐Ž๐๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“
โคฟ one
โคฟ three
โคฟ four
โคฟ five
โคฟ six
โคฟ seven
โคฟ eight
โคฟ nine
โคฟ ten
โคฟ eleven
โคฟ twelve
โคฟ thirteen
โคฟ fourteen
โคฟ fifteen
โคฟ sixteen
โคฟ seventeen
T H E E N D

โคฟ two

9.5K 333 46
By ladylorianz

"Dan, why did you call me?" She glanced up from her lap, feeling embarrassed for bringing him here in the middle of the night. She huffed in attempt to resist that regret, he was her friend, after all, and she wanted someone to talk about this. Besides, he was the perfect person, even if he hadn't earned the officer title, that did not prevent him from fighting for what he believed was right. And he was damn good accomplishing it.

"Please, you sounded so desperate on the phone. I need to know so I can help you."

Unsure whether it was a boost of assurance or just not caring anymore, she looked straight into his warm eyes. "Remember I told you I never met my parents. That I went from orphanage to orphanage until I found a family," she watched closely as he nodded along, genuinely recalling what she talked about. "Well, I might have found a lead on what happened to them," she took a piece of paper from her red jacket and opened it, revealing the crucial segment of this newspaper, a brief article to be exact.

"This could say I fucking hate you, and I wouldn't know 'cause it's in goddamn french, Dan."

She rolled her eyes and snatched the old sheet from his fingers, sighing at her ignorant move. "A woman around her thirties was found dead," she explained, astonishing her friend who did not know she spoke the language. He hastily scanned the paper for any written translation but there was not a single note, so he just attended to her voice. "The woman was found lifeless at the Jardins du Tocadéro, by a marriage and their kid. So far, the sole information forensics revealed was the factor of death and time; she would have passed while giving birth, from pain and blood loss. The baby is still to be found. Her identity is yet to be discovered. So far, it hasn't matched with any European citizen."

"Wait," she stopped, tucking the article back in her coat pocket, waiting for him to finish. "How do you know that this has to do with your parents? It's just an article and many kids are born on the same day. . ." he trailed off, finding himself lost in his thoughts, as he always did whenever some enigma was introduced to him. "Lemme see the date―"

Dan didn't take the article out because she remembered every element about it. "It was published on October second of nineteen eighty-nine. The day after I was born." She analyzed his expression, he seemed irritated about something, making her thoughts blame herself. Perhaps he saw this gathering as pointless, a stupid hunch, but then she discovered he was gaping over her shoulder. Completely oblivious to their conversation.

Turning around, she saw three men take cautious strides towards the backyard of a house, guns in their hands. He wanted to move and detain them, and honestly, by now she had given up on his assistance. "It's okay, go after them, Diego."

"I'll be right back," he announced, squeezing her shoulders before sprinting to his car, stance shifting as he approached the vehicle, getting closer to those criminals. Dan watched as he took a small bag from the passenger seat and swung it over his shoulder, pursuing the men's tracks, enveloped by the murky shades created by the pale moonlight.

Aware of her sudden loneliness, her eyes wandered around the shadowed park, realizing the sketchy area she had chosen this late. She imagined those weird shapes moving if stared at for too long, this unsettling views were joined by strange noises that emerged from every corner of the park. There could really be something out there for all she knew, but since there was no light to enlighten her doubts, she was left with those scaring curiosities.

A sharp shiver ran along her spine, forcing her to stand up in fear. The sudden need to shelter someplace safe came to her instincts, and it was no coincidence that Diego popped into her mind. Pulling her coat tighter on her torso, her legs rushed to the house, preferring to be surrounded by other people who could aid her if needed ( not the most reasonably thought, if she were to think about it later).

Staying under the small torch near the front door, Dan was forced to listen to the demands coming from the robbers, insisting for the family to confide their safe location. Trusting Diego to finish them, she chose to allow him to complete this job, or that was her idea until she heard frightened childish whispers. This new information about possible kids inspired her to storm into the house and help them escape, run away from the traumatic violence.

Circling the house, she used her trained hearing to ensure her security, but the moment she listened closely, a pair of soft footsteps startled her. Before she could react, her mouth was covered, her body pushed against the fence, unleashing a muffled whine. She tried to figure the complexion of who was holding her, but due to the lack of lighting and the mask on their face, she was unable to.

"Wait― Dani?"

"Diego?" She asked disturbed after ripping his hand away from her mouth, eyes squinting to distinguish his figure. Grimacing, she shoved him away from her, making him trip with his own feet and almost fall to the ground. "What the hell? You scared the shit out of me. What's up with that stupid mask anyway?"

He tugged her by the arm towards a window, peeking inside the house. "Listen to me, I know you could walk right into that house and kick their asses but I have my identity protected, so let me handle this," sighing, he let go of her and walked to the back door, staying a step away before gazing at her, "please stay here, I'll finish this quickly," and with that, he marched inside, a sharp knife playing between his fingers.

Dan stood in silence, listening to the events happening inside the home. Diego was obviously battling the intruders, most likely throwing blades at them. She thought in a flash about his ability to perfectly throwing knives which made her recollect the words had said a few moments ago, "I know you could walk right into that house and kick their asses..." Puzzled, she had a sudden flashback of her confessing him about her birth date.

Of course, everyone recognized the children born on October the first from women who weren't pregnant when the day started. Rasping, she began thinking of an excuse to make him assume she was a common woman who just happened to share the same birthday with other forty-two― three gifted people. That would be it, the stupidest explanation ever, but she expected him to believe it.

Moments later, Diego waddled out of the house, smudges of blood stained his cheek. She opened her mouth to speak but he ignored it, going straight to her, pulling her into a needed hug. It took Dan a few seconds to squeeze back. It was weird for both, they never exhibited this kind of affection. Her hands soothed his back, touching the rough fabric he wore, he had changed his apparel to fight those men.

Puffing out a weak breath he pulled away, rubbing his eyes with his hands and removing the mask that clasped onto the skin of his face.

"Hey," she searched for his gaze, smiling warmly, "you did great. The family is calling the police," she had done it again, providing him a clue that she had powers, shoveling herself deeper. "What happened?"

"My father. He died," Diego sounded hurt, which confused her since he always complained about the shitty childhood his adoptive father had given him and his siblings. However, she was still determined to help him climb out of the crater of grief, supporting him in every aspect. It wasn't how he wanted it though, he was stunned over the fact that he died, and just that. He wasn't going to wail over it, "a man like Reginald Hargreeves doesn't deserve my mourning, so save anything you planned to say."

She could not form any words, a groan was the sole noise leaving her mouth. Now, it was her turn to be left perplexed. How had she skipped over every sign? It was so obvious.

And still, she had to be certain of her thoughts, "Reginald Hargreeves? You mean― you're one of those six children he adopted," she gasped, trying to be as low as possible for they were still standing on the house's backyard and the family could hear them. Diego nodded and she let out a squeal, to which he silenced by clapping his palm over her lips and guiding them to his car, where they could discuss the matter. Dan fidgeted with her jacket while he reclined on the driver's seat and closed the door. "You were on The Umbrella Academy. That's how you knew―" he raised his eyebrows at her. Fuck it, there was nothing to renounce. "That's how you knew I had powers, too."

"Yep," he started the car and held the wheel with both hands, smirking, "We share the same birthday."

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Diego grabbed her hand, pulling her closer to the building. All these years she had lived in The City, she never had seen The Academy from this close, it was fascinating yet terrifying. Dan halted, reconsidering her answer to the invitation to his father's funeral.

"Hold on, Diego," she coldly calls out for him. The rainy breeze made her shiver, making her regret her apparel. Inside, there was a pleasant fireplace ready to warm her up, people who would receive her nicely, and probably some beverages and food; it was all calling for her from the home. "Are you sure they are okay with me showing up out of nowhere?"

"Do you think I give a damn?" He was so sharp, taking her back. Sighing, he slightly pulled on her hand, letting her know that there was no going back after accepting the proposal. Diego opened the small gates, allowing Dan to go in first, which she shyly did, and waited for him to open the main, grand door next.

She felt ridiculous leaving him to do all of this when she could open a gate by herself, but she was being polite, it was enough with her walking into a stranger's funeral. The door opening before her brought her back from the clutter that was her mind, he tangled his fingers with hers again and they walked in.

"Welcome to my childhood home," he announced as if it was nothing. But to Dan it was everything, the entrance gallery was huge, almost larger than two rooms from her apartment put together. There was a staircase that headed upstairs and many arcs that took you to other areas. The house was like a maze, one that she wished to remember someday.

She imagined being adopted by Sir Hargreeves, living in this house and having the other six children as siblings, being properly trained, and saving the world. It would have been way easier, she'd be more emotionally stable, have people to talk to about whatever was going on in her life, people to trust. To love and be loved back, no matter what.

"Oh, Diego," a female voice filled the deserted room, they both turned their heads to the direction it came from. A stunning, young woman with flawless blonde hair and the warmest smile Dan had ever seen walked towards them. "You brought your girlfriend, I'm so proud of you!" Diego was making her way to the woman as she said that. He stopped midway, chuckling at her supposition.

"Mom."

Dan frowned. Mom? There is no way this was his mother, she looked way younger than them. But then again, Reginald Hargreeves was known for doing many revolutionary things with science, so you never know if something is truly impossible.

"She's not my girlfriend. She's a friend," he took his mother's hands and gave her a thin smile, one preserved for those he cared about. "She might need our help with something."

Dan smiled nervously at the woman who slowly approached her, but the feeling washed away when she wrapped her into a hug. Diego's mom definitely knew how to make someone feel welcome and loved. "Well, I hope we can make your stay pleasant. The rest of the family's arriving, so you can go and meet some of them, lovely. Do as you please and feel like home," and after telling her those warm words, she walked away, getting lost in one of the many rooms.

Dan couldn't help herself but smile at her friend, who was trying to put on a poker face, even though it was impossible to do so after hearing that woman talk. "She's amazing," nodding, he gestured for her to follow him into another room, this one was big as well, and had a wooden bar counter, a cabinet full of drinks, a three-seat couch, and again, many portals leading other places.

Diego went for the drinks, serving them a shot of one of the many varieties they had. The only thing she could tell was it was strong, burning her throat a little but it was all worth it because they'd need it later.

"When do I get to meet your family, then?"

"Hopefully, never," sighing, he put down his glass next to hers. "Come on, let me show you around," they began to walk around the house, not going upstairs yet, he had told her 'the best had to wait until the end'. The rooms had the same theme: wood, a few paintings, and some bookshelves. The purpose of each was different, as a normal house would also have, but they were boring. Life, joy, good memories, it was all missing. No wonder why one by one, each member of The Academy left.

She stared around the living room through a mirror, admiring her reflection at the same time. Diego took slow steps until he was standing next to her, looking at himself in the mirror as well. Dan chuckled when she paid attention to what they were wearing: she had a casual, all-black look while he still was wearing his stupid leather uniform, not even bothering to put something on top to disguise it. She was about to mention this when another voice echoed in the massive building, it came from a woman as well. Diego rolled his eyes and shifted away from her, taking a quick peek at the entrance.

"I can't believe her," she followed him to the familiar gate, where two women were standing. One was tall with nice, natural hair and dark skin. The other one was tinier, long hair, and pale skin. The first turned around when Diego talked, "what is she doing here? You don't belong here. Not after what you did."

"You're seriously gonna do this today?" Dan gasped, covering her mouth to prevent unleashing any sounds. The Allison Hargreeves was standing a few feet away from her, looking as hot as she always did. Diego nodded his head to the stairs as a way to tell her where she had to go, which she slowly did, trying to be unnoticed. "Way to dress for the occasion, by the way― and who's that?"

He tried to evade his sister but Dan was stiffened over the fact that Allison knew that she existed, so he had to halt when he didn't see her behind him. "At least I'm wearing black," his voice was sharp, cold, it was easy to tell he didn't want to be here at all. "And she's― she's my friend, okay? I asked her to come with me, I think Pogo could assist her." The movie star smiled at her, out of pure courtesy, Dan believed. "Now, if you don't mind―"

"Wait, I want to meet her, Diego," Allison argued, folding her arms over her chest, "I'm Allison and I'm happy you decided to come with him, sometimes he needs someone."

Dan nodded but wondered if she was saying it to piss off her brother, who detested when people were concerned about him, or she genuinely thought that. "I'm Dan," cowering a little, she waved at Allison as she was pulled away by Diego towards the stairs. This time, she did climb up excited and jumped when they were out of view. "Diego!" She clapped his arm, calming down a little, "your sister is Allison fucking Hargreeves! And she's so sweet―"

"Wouldn't say that so fast," he shook his head, leading her into a corridor, there were eight doors to the rooms. Most had numbers from one to seven printed on a golden plaque, except for one that appeared to be abandoned. They made it to his room, which was loaded with blades, a few targets, and a comfy-looking bed. Taking a deep breath, she plopped down and closed her eyes. Today was gonna be a long one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

444K 10.6K 27
โI แด›สœษชษดแด‹ แดกแด‡ sสœแดแดœสŸแด… แด€สŸสŸ ษขแด แด€ส€แดแดœษดแด… แด›สœแด‡ ส€แดแดแด แด€ษดแด… sแด€ส แดกสœส แดกแด‡'ส€แด‡ สœแด‡ส€แด‡. Eษชษขสœแด›? Yแดแดœ'แด แด‡ ส™แด‡แด‡ษด สœแด‡ส€แด‡ สŸแดษดษขแด‡sแด›, แด„แด€ส€แด‡ แด›แด sสœแด€ส€แด‡ สแดแดœส€ sแด›แดส€ส?โž โIแด› sสœแดแดœสŸแด… ส™แด‡ แด˜ส€แด‡แด›แด›ส sแด‡...
597K 18.2K 56
โ๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก ๐™›๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ ๐™›๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ข๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™–๐™ข๐™ž๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ก ๐™ข๐™ฎ ๐™ก๐™–๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™—๐™ง๐™š๐™–๐™ฉ๐™.โž Thea Hargreeves had already experienced loss in her short li...
1.3M 36.5K 35
"hey, that's one badass stapler." โœ”๏ธ number five fanfiction umbrella academy season one [lowercase intended] cover by @ssolarsystems
8.8K 192 16
in which diego starts believing in love at first sight. The Umbrella Academy | Diego Hargreeves x oc ยฉ - ๐ฆ๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ฐ๐ฌ๐ฆ๐ฎ๐ซ๐๐จ๐œ๐ค