Unbreak Me

By Howard774

Avery Adley is trapped and broken. After losing her parents at the age of 8 she was sent to her Uncles family... More

Authors Note
HELPLINES
Tip Jar
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64

Chapter 17

411K 14.6K 5.2K
By Howard774

                       Avery Adley

It's been a few days since I came back home from Russells apartment.
I've purposely been staying out of mother's way.
I'd go to work, come home and eat downstairs if it's absolutely necessary.
Every night I have nightmares, so I have been running on minimum sleep.

The weather has been miserable. Not that I don't mind the rain and storms, I'd just appreciate it if I didn't have to walk in it.

I stepped out and walked downstairs. I had a piece of toast and a coffee.
Gerard watched me in disapproval. Apparently a piece of toast isn't a 'proper' breakfast.
I know Alissa and Gerard were worried about me, but trying not show it.

When I turned to leave I nearly ran into Leah.
She was in her gym attire and glared at me.
I side stepped and went around her.

"You know you would never be able to satisfy a man. Especially a man like Oliver Black. You're dirty and weak." Her words cut me and she knew it. "He'll come running to me in no time." She smirked wickedly.

After that night at the club all those hidden thoughts came rushing to the surface.

Dirty, slut, whore, worthless, useless, fat, ugly... weak.

Gripping the strap of my bag I swallowed the lump in my throat and continued out of the house.

I made it to work and sighed. I prepared Mr. Adley's coffee and files.

"Hey Avery." Aaron greeted.

I looked up from a file and gasped.
"Aaron... what the hell happened?" I asked with wide eyes.

He had a large black eye and a swollen cheek and jaw.

"Its not as bad as it looks." He chuckled awkwardly.

"What happened to you?" 

"I got jumped taking a short cut home from work." He gave me a weak smile. "It's all superficial."

"What about the police?" I asked in disbelief.

He sighed. "I made a report but there's nothing they could do. I didn't get a clear look at the guy."

I nodded my head in understanding. "Well, as long as you're okay. Just don't push yourself."

"I'll be fine Avery." He smiled brightly. "I always am!"

He passed over some files and said goodbye.

"Avery!" Mr. Adley snapped athrough the intercom startling me.

I got up and walked over to his office.
"Yes sir?"

"Get me files on Core International Holdings." He ordered. "They're wanting to sell up."

"Right away sir."

"The Blacks contacted me." He said through gritted teeth. "They will be coming here to sign the contract at 5pm. Clear my schedule for then."

Why are they always coming here?

"Yes, sir." I was about to turn around but stopped. "Sir?"

"What?!" He growled.

I gulped nervously. "Is there anything I need to be aware of before signing the contract?"

"Its none of your concern! Just do what I tell you!" He yelled. "You're dismissed."

I scrunched my eyebrows together but walked out anyway.

How is it none of my concern?!

I groaned and banged my head on my desk before getting back to work and retrieving files for the devil.

By the time 5pm rolled around I had sat through an hour of a verbal lashing for getting the wrong file, when it was actually the correct file all along, I had a mountain of paperwork and meetings to still schedule, and I couldn't keep my eyes open.

I received a call from reception saying the Blacks had arrived.
I sighed harshly and stood up.
When I walked into Mr. Adley's office he took one look at me.

"Jesus Christ, girl. Go and fix your face. At least try not to look as ugly as you are." Adley growled. "We don't want to scare them away!"

"Yes sir." I walked back and took my small make up bag out and tried to fix my make up. There was only so much I could do to get rid of the dark circles and dullness of my skin.

I did what I could and went to meet up with everyone in the meeting room.
Mr and Mrs Black sat happily making small talk while Mr. Adley flicked through pages of the contract reading and rereading paragraphs and clauses.
Oliver just sat there looking as stern as usual.

I hesitantly opened the door. I felt nervous all of a sudden. I hadn't really prepared myself for literally signing my life away.
Although, it hadn't been mine for a long time.

"Avery!" Mrs. Blacks pleasant voice chirped. "It's good to see you!"

I smiled politely and greeted everyone before taking my seat next to Mr. Adley.

"Avery, have you had a chance to read through the contract?" Mr. Black asked.

Just as I was about to answer, Mr. Adley did it for me.

"She doesn't need to do such things." Mr. Adley said. "Avery just has to worry about the wedding."

A small sigh left my lips and I could see Mr and Mrs. Black weren't too happy.

"Let's get on with this, shall we?" Mr. Adley said.

He signed a few dotted lines and slid the papers over to me.
I hesitated nervously. I felt a painful squeeze on my knee that caused me to flinch and wince slightly.
I quickly signed the indicated lines and pushed the paper away.
Oliver did the same.

"All done?" Mrs. Black asked. "Now it's about 2 weeks until the engagement party! I'll meet up with Avery and Marie to go over the plans." She beamed happily.
I swallowed the lump in my throat. Mother will kill me for sure. "Then after that we'll set a date for the wedding and Avery will move into Oliver's apartment."

Everyone nodded and we all stood from our seats. I didn't miss the clenched fist from Mr. Adley. I only hoped that fist wasn't going to be turned on me.

"Also, I've brought invitations for the charity gala myself and Max have organised for this weekend. I would love it if everyone could attend." She smiled warmly while rummaging through her bag.

"What is the charity for?" I asked.

"We're raising money for the homeless." Mr. Black answered. "We'll have an auction but people are welcome to donate freely."

I smiled and nodded.

I only have about $3,000 in savings... I could just donate $1,000, right?

Mrs. Black found the invitations and gave me five black embossed envelopes.

I smiled and thanked her. She hugged me and kissed my cheek.
"I'm so glad it's you." She whispered in my ear, successfully shocking me.

I went back to my office and looked up when there was a brief knock on the open door.

"Oliver?" I thought he had already left.

"Avery, I'll be taking you to the gala on Saturday night."

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly and placed my pen down.

Isn't he supposed to ask, not tell?

"You're my fiancee now, so it's expected for you to be my date." He explained.

I sighed and nodded my head.
A large yawn I've been trying to hold in escaped me. I covered my mouth to hide the black hole, as mother calls it.

"Are you feeling okay?" He asked stepping further into my office.

"I'm fine, just tired." I smiled up at him. I knew I looked horrible, but there was nothing I could do about it.

"What time do you finish work?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. I have a whole stack of paperwork to finish by tonight." I said motioning to the papers that had been piling up all day.

"Maybe you should work on your time management and not leave a weeks work to the last minute." He stated as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

My jaw clenched and unintentially gave Oliver a pointed look.
I was far too tired to put up with someone commenting on my work ethic.

"Mr. Black," I started sternly. "This is not from a week of me not doing anything. This is all from today. I pride myself on my efficiency and won't tolerate anyone telling me to 'work on time management' when my work is already exceptional."

But if you ask Mr. Adley...

A flash of shock passed through his eyes, before returning to his emotionless state.
"I apologize Avery." He said. "I thought that would be way too much work for one day and for one person."

"It's fine." I sighed. "I'll probably be here all night." I mumbled.

"You have my number, call me when you have finished. I'll take you back home." He said firmly.

"I'll be fine. I don't want to cause any trouble." I smiled.

"Nonsense. I'll come here at 9pm. If you're not done I'll wait around for you."

"You don't ask do you?" I asked.

"Never." A playful glint shone in his eyes and a smirk was plastered on his face.

"Avery!" A harsh  snapped yelled through the intercom.

I closed my eyes momentarily and stood from my seat.
"If you'll excuse me, I must get back to work."

"Of course." He nodded curly and walked out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 5K 45
She is a chatterbox while he is silent. She is simple and sweet while he is arrogant and egoistic. She believes in love while he is nowhere near lov...
106K 2.4K 27
Cheating With The Billionaire | Previously Titled HER NEW DADDY . . . The man that I'm falling for is a man that I shouldn't want. The odds a...
1.2M 47.9K 48
Avery Adley is trapped living an awful existence. After losing her parents at the age of 8 she was sent to her Uncle's family. For sixteen years sh...
994K 23K 43
"You are not going there and that's the end of our conversation." He yelled while tightening his grip on my wrist. I tried to free my wrist but no av...