Light in the Dark

By Mother0fMischief

When magic begins to die out, polluted and corrupted because of inbreeding, blood supremacy, and one man's id... More

Marvolo's Story
Severus' Story
And so our Story Begins
To be Rescued; To be Healed and Loved
To Hogwarts we go!
First day of Class
Halloween
The Aftermath
The Yule Ball
The Will Reading
Cute and Fluffy
The End of First Year
A Terrible Start to Second Year
Back to Hogwarts We Go!
The Chamber is Opened?
Trouble Brewing
The Mystery Deepens; Aragog
Her Skeleton will Remain
Unforgivable
The Aftermath- Wakened
Foreshadowing
Happy Birthday, Harry
Execution; Third Year begins
Dementors, New Professors, and Idiots, Oh my!
The Boggart
The Dementors

Let me tell you a Story

12.9K 328 109
By Mother0fMischief

Let me tell you a story, one that has been passed on by word of mouth since language was invented. And please note that this story is very old and has been changed and twisted over the ages. This version is one that my people hold true and from personal experience, I am inclined to believe it as well. Back in ancient times, when man and beast were still infants, the gods created Creatures, the first of Magicals to walk the earth. They lived their lives like their weaker siblings did, hunting and gathering, mating and creating children and offering tribute and sacrifice to the gods.

Not all was peaceful, not all was perfect, children and adults often fought, petty or something truly grievous; it was a fact of life. Jealousy, fear and hatred were powerful motivators so was pride, greed and lust. But we are born with the power and knowledge, taught by those who came before, to curb and control not only our emotions, but some of our instincts as well. Humans repressed their instincts for knowledge and the betterment of themselves while animals abandoned all logic and emotion to embrace only instinct.

Creatures found a happy medium, while not perfect, it worked and helped them. After all one cannot help themselves when instincts grow too strong or when logic is not always the answer. The Gods of Olde use to help match one with their mates, the couple to be usually eternally happy, children and grandchildren born to carry on their legacy. Creatures mated other Creatures, animals or a human who was perceived as queer, a little soft in the head or plain weird by the other members of their society. This was how the first Magicals were born.

Creatures are born with a natural understanding and the knowledge needed to use and teach magic, the Magicals had to slowly grow theirs, learn to master it and pass their knowledge on. But as time went on, the harmony of the world began to shift, to change in unexpected and frightening ways. And then the wars came, feuds that got out of hand, ignorance that led to grievous misunderstandings, fear turning to hate, hate into blood shed. The world had spun on its axis in such a way that even the Gods of Olde were left reeling from the sudden change. The Gods of Love and Marriage soon found it hard to match couples who were meant to be, who once upon a time thanked them, but now cursed their names, scorned their efforts.

Gods of War and Peace could not get a handle on all the fighting, could not work out peace or war grounds. Gods of Magic were shunned completely by those born without magic, the eldest of the Gods, Death and Chaos, also known as the Goddesses of Order and Life, were all but demonized.

The wars that sparked soon caught blaze and ravaged the land and for a very long time blood had soaked the earth, innocent lives ruined or cut short. Witch Hunting and Trials became quite popular, non magical Heroes, began hunting down Creatures and slaying them for fame and glory, for money or a woman's affections, who in turn would no sooner dump them or slit their throats in their sleep. Creatures pulled away first, asking their parents, the Gods to save them. The Gods convened and agreed, they would pull back and no longer guide their children more than absolutely needed.

They hid the Creatures in plain sight as well in magical and even alternate dimensions Creating natural paths and crossroads around the world so they may gather and interact when needed. The Creatures took with them their families, Magicals and Humans, who accepted them as they are. Creating settlements, cities and the like where Magicals grew up safe and sound. And then the King of Albion befriended and married a young and aspiring wizard who's name would be remembered throughout the ages, whose true story would be lost forever in times passed, but his deeds would be spoken of with respect and reverence. Their story is nothing more than fiction in the times to come.

Who was this King and his Magical mate, you ask? Why none other than King Arthur and the greatest Magician to walk the earth, Merlin. Merlin was the son of a Wiccan Potion Mistress and a Dragonlord, the Half Creature was gifted with powerful magic that grew as he did and even the natural magics of the earth and the heavens lent their aid when he asked. Creatures far and wide respected him, those who had not tried to kill or eat his mate that is, Magicals clamored to his feet, hoping and praying he would teach them.

He had come at a time where the Witch Hunting and Trials were at an all time high, and was taught to hide who and what he was, lest he be tortured and killed. He befriended the then prince Arthur and his half sister Morgana, who would one day be as legendary as Merlin. They were friends, they were siblings and stood and fought for each other and their friends, Lance and the Knights of the Round Table, Gwen, a sword smith's daughter and an impressive archer and fair queen. They adopted a poor druid boy by the name of Mordred and lived happily, bringing many golden years of peace, magic was allowed to flourish once more and then the final war and the fall of Albion. King Arthur died on the battlefield at the hands of his adopted son and half sister, his mate heartbroken used the last of his magic to end the war permanently and then collapsed dead.

No one knows what had brought on the war, not what truly happened at the end of it, but Merlin, who had been the embodiment of all that was Light, had shown at his brightest before he faded into darkness and legend. Morgana LeFey's tragic story would forever be twisted into something dark and cruel and Mordred would be painted as both Victim and Villain for just as long. These three were said to be the forebearers of Light, Dark and Grey Magicals world wide.

Schools were built during the golden years of Albion and in similar locations world wide. One such school was built by four friends (and if some rumors were to be believed, lovers), who came from different walks of life. The Noble Lord Salazar Slytherin, a young wizard who was as sly and cunning as he was ambitious. He was loyal to those who earned it and was ruthless to those who earned his wrath. A Dark Wizard, born and bred, but a kind man with a fondness for learning and for teaching the young eager minds who wished to learn what he had to offer.

Due to this, he traveled far and wide learning and spreading knowledge everywhere he went. He soon came across a lowly woman, a simple farmer who was very hard working and quite compassionate. Her name was Helga Hufflepuff, a witch who grew up Gray and remained Gray into her adult years, though she leaned more toward the Light in most cases, but was not afraid to break out a Dark Hex or Curse when the need arose. She taught him much about natural magic, she was brilliant at potions and healing, her green thumb was unparalleled and when he saw her garden from mundane everyday plants to spices used for cooking and medicine to the magical plants that would no sooner eat you if you tread too close.

When she learned of his journey to collect a massive wealth of knowledge to one day teach to younger witches and wizards, she puffed up with pride and eagerly packed her home up and left with him, he tried to fight her, but he learned that just because she was a loving woman, would rather feed you than beat you, she was not a pushover. She had jokingly told him she was called the "Mad Badger" of Hucklepuff, her hometown. He'd had seen badgers in their many forms and wonders and understood why she wore her pet name with pride.

On they went, town to town, city to city. Gathering books and writing their own to add to the ever growing library in Salazar's pockets. And then they came across a scruffy young man, a street urchin, but with a heart so noble and so brave, they thought he was a lion. It would be years later that Salazar would jokingly suggest his friend use the Lion as his symbol; a proud King and a noble ruler, but merciless when defending his pride. The young man no older than they were, had been fighting off corrupt officials from harassing a young girl. He had fought until he nearly died, had Sal not stepped in.

The young man woke to a warm bed and a warm meal, Helga fretting and scolding him while Salazar called him an idiot. The Idiot introduced himself as Godric, last son of the Gryffindor Knights. He had a fiery personality, an open mind and view of the world, though he was Light through and through, but he did not sniff or sneer at the Dark, simply stated he tried to learn it, but could not. It made him ill to even attempt anything beyond Gray spells and the like. Salazar admitted he got ill when attempting to use Light ones, but otherwise did not mind it.

Since he had no home and no family, only a single pouch that held a key, a cloak and an old story book, Godric offered to go with them, he had a wealth of combat spells that both Sal and Helga were eager to learn and the idea of learning more spells and possibly teaching younger children about them sold the young Gryffindor. The three found adventure at every turn when they left, had moments when they feared they would die, others they would laugh themselves sick at the silliness that they had just been through. They fought and argued, but never went to bed angry. They grew close, almost like a family.

And when they came to a small village full of middle class homes and people, they met a fair lady by the name of Rowena Ravenclaw, she was vastly knowledgeable about almost everything and she was loyal to her town to provide correct and accurate information. She was mostly skilled in charms and transfiguration magics, but knew others as well. She was Gray like Helga, but leaned more toward the Dark in some cases. Rowena also had the gift of sight, had seen their arrival and had greeted them, invited them to stay and gather all her knowledge into the Library before she grabbed her things, kissed her mother goodbye and the four set off.

From young adults, to full grown adults they grew, They traveled all over Europe and most of the Middle east and Africa, in later years they would take turns visiting Asia and the various small islands and dimensions to better their school. They came across a vast lake that was deeper than any of them could imagine surrounded by high mountains with a single lonely one overlooking the lake with a deep dense forest that stretched for miles. The air was rich with life and magic, Rowena gasping as she saw a vision of a grand monolithic castle built into the single mountain overlooking the lake, saw a small town on the other side of the forest which was teaming with various creatures, she saw hundreds of children coming here, saw herself and her friends and many others teaching them, she saw spouses and children of their own.

The Vision was a truly powerful one because she saw not only her lifetime, but that of her daughters and son's, saw grandchildren and great grandchildren, she saw darkness brewing, she saw fear and death, so much death! And then she saw a light, upon a closer look, she saw that it was a descendant who was holding the Light, but when she tried to see what it was, what it could mean, she fainted. When she awoke, it was to the worried faces of her friends, her siblings and her truest loves. She told them what she saw, what she thought it could mean and asked them what they thought.

Salazar knew better than to brush off her visions even if he himself did not find much use from Divination. So far, since meeting the woman, he knew she was hardly ever wrong and stated that they should build the castle she saw, the school they had been talking about since he first introduced the idea to them. Godric commented about making friends with any and all creatures near them, to find the Goblins and strike a deal with them. He also muttered something about making and training an army to defend the school and was lost in battle tactics and the like. Helga simply rolled up her sleeves and grinned.

Knowing that they agreed and would deal with things as time passed, she could not help but smile. Godric left to find the Goblins and later returned covered in scars, a battalion of Goblin miners, architects, ward and rune masters with a ward stone made from a material only known to them as Goblimite. It could only be found in the deepest recesses of the Goblins' vast mines, and only given to those who earn the name of Goblin Kin. How Godric got that title, the others never learned, but it certainly helped them in the end.

It took 3 years, three exhausting years to build their home and their final resting place, the safe haven for witches and wizards for years to come. Every single stone, brick and mortar was infused with magic, the castle while large outside was even larger inside, able to house thousands at time and still have wiggle room for more. Spells and rituals gave life to the school who woke with a mighty rumble and shiver, her voice being heard by only her parents who had infused their blood into the wardstone hidden in the very heart of her. She changed at will or the will of her parents, later on the wills of the Headmaster or Headmistress of the school, but never as completely as with one who shared her parents' blood.

The wards that protected the school went to even the village that had slowly been built, Godric happily naming it Hogsmeade for the high population of wild hogs and boars that roamed about. Helga snorted and made a comment about the School having a similar name if they left it to Godric, which sadly he did pick the name, but the others could not find or agree on anything so it stuck. Hogwarts had been born and she was magnificent! In Secret, the Four Founders, as they would later be known to all, built secret chambers only accessed by themselves and their Heirs.

Salazar's chamber went deep beneath the school, where he carefully hatched and bred Basilisks, leaving one to guard the school always. Helga's was hidden deep within the Black Lake at the heart of the Merfolk's city guarded by them and her familiar, a Kraken, who many would mistaken of a squid in later years due to the loss of one of its eight legs. Rowena's room was designed to move around the school, though it's primary location was on the seventh floor, it would appear when needed, changing and morphing into whatever was desired in that moment if the person paced before certain walls three times. This room would later be called the Come and Go room or the Room of Requirement, but only her Heir would be able to access the Raven's Nest, her true secret room when they had need of her aid. Godric's room was tricky since he felt he had no need for one, but had one built to keep it even.

His room he set on the 5th floor in a wall that would later hold two giant portraits of him and Sal on one side, Helga and Row on the other. The door would only be found if his Heir connected with Hogwarts. The room was a personal study where he placed all manner of books from stories to combat, cooking to potion making. Here he wrote his life's story in a large tome and here he would aid his Heir when they needed him. Each had a familiar who not only bonded to them, but were bonded to the school's wardstone. As long as the wardstone stood, they would live as long as well.

Salazar's was his Basilisk; when asked why, he admitted to being a Naga. He never mentioned this before because of the growing tension and threat of war. Rowena's was a Sphinx she befriended in Africa, who would assume the form of a cat or a bird and spy on all those within their land, keeping an eye out for threats and keeping curious children from too much danger. If she happened to be a Shade, that was her business and no one else's. Helga's was the Kraken in the Black Lake, having raised him from when he was as tiny as a Grindylow. When asked where she had kept him and had the time to tend him all these years, she just smiled that infuriating smile and kept mum. She was proudly Magical, but loved her family nevertheless. Godric was Magical as well and his familiar came in the form of a Phoenix he had fought when gaining favor with the Goblins.

The legendary firebird had killed the man, though only temporary and peered into his lifeless eyes, at his soul. It obviously saw something that pleased it because it cried into his wounds and healed him before burning not only itself but Godric with it and they were born again from the ashes, though he as he was, Fawkes as he later named his fiery songbird, as an adorable chick who looked greatly disgruntled. Every 100 years the Familiars switched who bonded with the Headmaster or Headmistress to aid and guide them and thus the students. Though how the Basilisk and the Kraken pulled that off was a mystery to anyone.

And so their life long dream was complete, Hogwarts was built and opened her doors in the late summer of 990 AD and never closed her doors since. And Rowena's vision seemed to have come true. Students by the hundreds came to their school. They found lovers who later on became husbands and wives, they had children, who grew up within Hogwarts and then the war that had been looming broke out. Hogwarts was a safe haven for all who needed it, Creatures rallied together to defend her, her parents at the front with their eldest students who trained hard and fought to the last.

When it was over, Hogwarts lost her family, but was happy her parents were entombed within her walls, their portraits hung in each of their respective House Dorms with several frames that they moved through when the desire to wander struck and if Hogwarts knew a secret; no one would ever know.

Times changed, views and beliefs too. Magicals soon found themselves above their Creature sires, began to hunt them, brand certain ones as dangerous, others enslaved. The Creatures cried once more to their Gods, begging for aid, for most aid came too late, the others pulled away so that even among Magicals they were not but myth and legend. Few Creatures remained, toughed it out and fought for their rights, their children doing the same. Tensions were high and with the stubbornness of Magicals as well as their idiocy, it began the decline of Magic.

Magicals who thought themselves superior to not only their non magical brethren, but also the masters of the beings who helped to create them began to marry like minded Magicals, the so called Purebloods. At first nothing happened, as there was plenty of diversity to keep hereditary issues at bay, but by the 1700s and onward, everyone was married to everyone, which began to cause issues. At first it was the oddball child born with little to no magic, the first of many Squibs to come, easily taken care of by either a slip of poison, a pillow over their face as they slept or sent off to Muggles, non magic humans, to raise them.

These families also had children who married either a Creature or a Muggle creating Halfbloods, which infuriated the Elitist minded Magicals. The rest of the Magical world just thought them mad, love was love no matter how you looked at it and finding one's destined mate? A blessing and something held sacred. Like I told you at the beginning, the Gods used to help us find our mates, now we have to wander and flounder blindly, hoping and praying we find that perfect someone one day.

As I was saying, time passed and the 1700s became the 1800s and then finally the 1900s. Muggles made up 90% of Earth's population, 5% went to Magicals, and the remainder went to the Creatures. Though if you asked someone else they would say 8% were Magicals and that a pitiful 2% were Creatures and would soon be wiped out. Anyway, by now the inbreeding had finally taken its toll, most Purebloods were either barren, sterile, had miscarriages and stillbirths, or Squibs. When they did have a powerful enough Magical child, they were not as powerful as they should be. It also took its toll with illnesses and the mental stability of most.

With the drop in Pureblood birth rates, there was a rise in the newly created category of Muggleborns. I personally do not believe they are truly witches or wizards born from Muggles, but rather the first Magical children of Squib and or Creature parents. Before you comment, let me explain, not all children born from Creatures take the form of said Creature, they could be born human with magic and could sometimes manifest some of the features or abilities, while others were wholly human, but carried Creature Blood which could become active in a child or a descendant down the line.

But to each their own. The reason I am telling you all this is so you have some idea of what I am really going to tell you about. It's a story about love, loss, betrayal and war. Adventure and humor and so much more. But I will only tell if you truly want to hear it...

Still here?

Then let's begin with a King in exile and a lonely Prince....

~EDITED: 5/3/2020~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.2K 520 10
Draco Malfoy is a pureblood Veela. He has mate. Harry Potter is a half-blood Veela. He too has a mate. What would happen if the mate of the two boys...
4.2K 147 8
Being called the Heir of Slytherin certainly affected Harry. While down in the chamber Harry found some shocking news. In the end, the Harry that we...
572K 12.4K 58
It had been too long, why reveal the truth after years? Hermione Granger was believed to be Muggleborn most of her life, till she found out some une...
54K 1.1K 16
TOMIONE/DRAMIONE FANFICTION (EDITING) __________ The world has gotten darker ever since Lord Voldemort's return was confirmed, and Harry Potter must...