LGBT United

By LGBT_HeadQuarters

LGBT United is a online magazine that is for the LGBT community. This magazine is for those who are apart of... More

LGBT Community
LGBT Pride
Sorry

LGBT History

271 41 8
By LGBT_HeadQuarters

LGBT History

In this issue we want to give you a little more info on your LGBT history that you might not know. I hope you enjoy learning about some history you may or may not know.

-K.A. TheAlias-

_______________________________

Written by: Sky2012

Gotthold Enslin

Gotthold Enslin is an important part of history for the LGBT community, the army and society in general. He was the first person to be dismissed from the army for homosexual behavior.

Enslin was born in approximately 1740. He was thought to be from southern Germany, well educated and from a family of high standing. Enslin's name has also been recorded as Frederick Gotthold Enslin. He had no known spouse.

Enslin arrived on the ship "Union" in the port of Philadelphia on September 30, 1774. He arrived alone. He was in relative good health for a man in his late 20's, early 30's. Enslin lived in New Jersey before enlisting and being appointed a lieutenant in the Continental Army. His regiment camped for an extended length of time at Valley Forge.

It was at Valley Forge that Ensign Anthony Maxwell gave a report stating Lieutenant Enslin was caught in his quarters with Private John Monhort. The report charged Lt. Enslin with "attempted sodomy with a private".

Enslin called the charges slander against his character. Therefore, Ens. Maxwell was reported for "propagating a scandalous report prejudicial to the character of Lt. Enslin." However, the investigation into the report of "attempted sodomy" was pursued against Lt. Enslin and Pvt. John Monhort.

Evidence was brought forward and Lt. Enslin was found guilty of the charge "attempting to commit sodomy". Ens. Maxwell was acquitted and Lt. Enslin was also found guilty of perjury "in swearing to false accounts, found guilty of the charges exhibited against him".

Pvt. John Monhort had charges brought against him as well. However, nothing is known of what happened to him. Lt. Enslin's case was brought before General George Washington who sentenced Enslin to be dismissed from his post and the military service with "Infamy".

Enslin was officially drummed out of camp the following morning by all the fifes and drums in the army in front of the entire regiment and watched on by all the field officers. Not only was it humiliating to Enslin, it ensured that he would be recognized in the future if he ever tried to reenlist.

Enslin's coat was turned inside out before he was drummed from left to right of the grand parade, to the left wing of the army, to the centre and out of the camp with orders to never return. I believe Gotthold was looking for a new start in a new country and was excited to immigrate to America. He was an honorable man that enlisted to help serve the cause.

While his regiment was at Valley Forge for a lengthy period of time, I assume others had their "needs" met with girlfriends, wives, supporters or "ladies of the night" who travelled to Valley Forge or whom the soldiers met while on leave. I believe Gotthold tried to conduct his business privately in his own quarters, trying not to draw attention to his preference.

He may have been in a relationship with Pvt. John Monhort. When Enslin was reported for "attempted sodomy" he defended himself and Pvt. Monhort the only way he knew how, by calling the charges slander. Was it really anyone's business what happened in his private quarters?

Somehow, evidence was produced and then Enslin was humiliated in front of his regiment and peers, left thankless and never heard from again. Apparently, a closer look at the charges Enslin was convicted with can be read between the lines as "attempted rape". How utterly devastating for someone to be charged with such a crime.

Did Enslin protect his lover by taking all the blame and in so doing was treated more harshly upon his drumming out of camp? Did Enslin and Pvt. Monhort get together afterwards? Did they change their names and is that why there are no other records of them after Enslin was convicted and dismissed?

There are also some other matters to consider in regards to the charges Enslin was convicted with such as, it may have been illegal, unprofessional or unwittingly endangering his regiment to fraternize with another member of camp. It may also have been seen as Lt. Enslin taking advantage of someone underneath his command.

What is to be noted is that Enslin was not reported or charged with "unprofessional behavior" or "taking advantage of a lesser ranked officer". Yet the army had no qualms in convicting Enslin with "attempted sodomy", dismissing and making a public spectacle out of him.

Was Enslin made an example of to show those left that homosexual behavior and homosexuals were not allowed? What do you think about Enslin? Do you think he was treated fairly? Enslin's case is a controversial topic still today.

It gets people to ask themselves questions and discuss policies the army had in the past and today towards their LGBT recruits and past serving members. It serves as a shocking example of how the army has treated people who are homosexual in the past.

It brings up the issue of whether George Washington was homophobic. Do you think he did not like homosexuals? Do you think he was forced by duty to sentence Enslin in the way that he did? Do you think he knew exactly how Enslin was going to be drummed out?

It gets us to think about how we want people who are homosexual and in the army to be treated. He will forever be remembered and documented as the first homosexual person dismissed from the army.

_______________________________

"It always seemed to me a bit pointless to disapprove of homosexuality. It's like disapproving of rain." -Francis Maude

_______________________________

Written by: Lia_Is_Weird

@Kerry_Belchamber

Guys did you hear about an amazing book call "Cougar Boss"? It's about a college student dealing with a new job and boss except this boss is the wife of a CEO of a huge company. Wow talk about having a lot on your plate. Watch how she deals with working with the wife of an very important CEO and also having a crush on the wife.

I had the awesome opportunity to talk to the author of "Cougar Boss", @Kerry_Belchambers. Here is what she has to say to her amazing readers. When writing she doesn't limits herself to one genre, but she does tend to write about her favorite genre, which is lesbian romantic fiction!

When the amazing idea came to her to write "Cougar Boss" it was a night when she was actually about to fall asleep. Not sure about the idea for the book or how her readers would take it she posted the prologue to see how many people would be interested in knowing where the story would take them.

After some deliberation and some remarks from a great number of followers. The decision was made that her readers needed to know where the story would take them. At this point of the story it developed as she wrote, neither planning or thinking about what to write.

Being that there was very limited books that had lesbian romantic fiction she decided to write in this particular genre so what she writes is what she personally wants to read as she was growing up. Believing she was reaching out to everyone who was like her.

Lots of research is done for "Cougar Boss". Being that her research is endless and that her characters go so deeply into depth. Needing to know everything about anything that relates to her characters because she wants her readers to feel what her characters feel.

Wanting her characters to become friends to her readers for this reason she must do research so her characters are real as they can be and have a strong connection to her readers.

The themes of "Cougar Boss" has been intense, crazy, and at times reckless, but nonetheless, it has love. When she started writing "Cougar Boss", she had the thought "A broke girl falls for a wealthy employer." She is a sucker for happy endings but unfortunately in "Cougar Boss" she is doubtful about a happy ending.

Then her friend said, "Write an epic love story". She guesses that we'll just wait and see how "Cougar Boss" turns out. Kerry wants to tell her readers loves them, she loves writing for them, she loves hearing from them and that she wouldn't be her without her readers.

I must say that this author is truly for her readers. Kerry does so much for her readers, so they could enjoy her books. "Cougar Boss" is an amazing book with an intense storyline. You should really check this author and her book, "Cougar Boss" out!

_______________________________

Written by: Mote96

Norway

Norway was the first Scandinavian country and the 6th country in the world to make marriage laws gender neutral, allowing same-sex marriage.

Norway has since August 1, 1993 recognized same-sex registered partnerships, the second country in the world to do so (after Denmark). This granted same-sex couples virtually all the protections, responsibilities and benefits of marriage, including arrangements for the breakdown of the relationship.

The only difference was that they could not adopt or be artificially insaminated. That changed though in 2002, allowing same-sex partners to legally adopt their partners children.

In March 2008, the Norwegian government proposed a marriage law that would grant same-sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples, including church weddings (though the law could not force any religious community to marry same-sex couples), full joint adoption and assisted pregnancies.

It basically meant that the definition of civil marriage would be made gender-neutral. The voting took place in June 2008 and the law took effect on January 1, 2009.

Not only did the definition of marriage become gender-neutral but the law also states that when a woman who is married to another woman becomes pregnant through artificial insemination, the other partner will have all the rights of parenthood from the moment of conception.

_______________________________

"I believe we can keep the promise of our founders, the idea that if you're willing to work hard, it doesn't matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or who you love. It doesn't matter whether you're black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you're willing to try." -President Barack Obama

_______________________________

Written by: HonestForYou

Employment Non-Discrimination Act

Qualified, hardworking Americans are denied job opportunities, fired or otherwise discriminated against just because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

There is no federal law that consistently protects LGBT individuals from employment discrimination; there are no state laws in 29 states that explicitly prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, and in 32 states that do so based on gender identity. As a result, LGBT people face serious discrimination in employment, including being fired, being denied a promotion and experiencing harassment on the job.

The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) would provide basic protections against workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. ENDA simply affords to all Americans basic employment protection from discrimination based on irrational prejudice.

The bill is closely modeled on existing civil rights laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. The bill explicitly prohibits preferential treatment and quotas and does not permit disparate impact suits. In addition, it exempts small businesses, religious organizations and the military.

Majority of Republicans and Democrats back ENDA. More than 2/3 of voters, including a strong majority of Republicans, support a federal law protecting LGBT people from discrimination in the workplace, according to a September 2013 poll by Republican pollster Alex Lundry. Majorities in each of the 50 states, according to statistical modeling, are on board.

Twenty-one states and District of Columbia have passed laws prohibiting employment discrimination based on sexual orientation, and eighteen states and D.C. also prohibit discrimination based on gender identity. Although these laws provide important protections, according to a 2013 General Accounting Office (GAO) report, relatively few complaints of discrimination based on sexual orientation have been filed in these states.

Hundreds of companies have enacted policies protecting their lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees. As of April 2013, 88 percent of the Fortune 500 companies had implemented non-discrimination policies that include sexual orientation, and 57 percent had policies that include gender identity.

ENDA was introduced in the 113th Congress in the House of Representatives by Reps. Jared Polisand Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. In the Senate by Sens. Jeff Merkley, Mark Kirk, Tammy Baldwin, Susan Collins and Tom Harkin on April 25, 2013. ENDA was approved by the Senate on November 7, 2013, by a bipartisan vote of 64-32.

I had no knowledge about this Act until now. I knew there was discrimination in the workplace for lgbt people but I didn't know some places still had that discrimination.To be honest I think whatever your sexuality is shouldn't matter on whatever job you have because that doesn't justify what kind of job you do.

_______________________________

"All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential." -Harvey Milk

_______________________________

Written by: Sky2012

Nonbinary Gender

Nonbinary gender is an umbrella term used for genders that do not identify within the gender binary system. A binary system is a system that involves only two elements. The gender binary system is what our society adheres to, recognizing only two separate genders: male and female.

There are many different genders, variations of gender and some who identify themselves as genderless. A person with a nonbinary gender may identify with one of the following terms:

-A gender/genderless, non-gender

-Androgyne/androgynous gender

-Bigender/bi-gender

-Fluid gender

-Genderfluid

-Pangender

-Polygender

-Gender neutral/neutral gender

-Genderqueer/gender queer

-Intergender/intergendered

-Neutrois

-Nonbinary/non-binary

-Nonbinary butch

-Nonbinary femme

-Third Gender

-Transgender

Transgender is also an umbrella term that can include people who identify with one of the binary genders of male or female. A nonbinary person is referred to as "they", "them" or "theirs".

"Red, who works at San Diego's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center, identifies themselves as non-binary: that is, neither male nor female but somewhere in a ("cloud") of genders that rejects the idea that there are only two human gender identities, male and female." -Zenger's Newsmagazine

Any gender that falls outside the gender binary system is a nonbinary gender.

_______________________________

"I think it's interesting that when you play a lesbian, people ask you if you're a lesbian, but if you play a serial killer, nobody asks you if you're a serial killer." -Nora Dunn

_______________________________

Written by: EternalBeauty

Blue Discharge

Admittedly, when I got this assignment of doing an article on "Blue Discharges", I giggled. After researching it and finding out what "Blue Discharge" actually is, I realized that its not giggling matter.

The term "Blue Discharge" was a form of administrative military discharge formerly issued by the United States beginning in 1916. Also known as the "Blue Ticket", it was a way for Commanders to remove homosexual service members from their ranks.

A Blue Discharge is not considered either a honorable or dishonorable discharge. On occasion, they were also issued to African Americans. Getting a Blue Discharge was something that stuck with you for the rest of your life.

A Blue Discharge meant that you were subjected to discrimination in civilian life, denied the benefits of the G.I. Bill by the Veterans Administration and had difficulty finding work because employers were aware of the negative outcomes of a blue discharge. Following intense criticism by the press and in Congress, the blue discharge was discontinued in 1947.

The VA continued to discriminate against homosexual blue-tickets, renewing its 1945 directive in 1946 and again in 1949. Blue discharges were discontinued July 1, 1947, and two new headings for discharges, general and undesirable, took their place.

A general discharge was considered to be under honorable conditions, but differing from it, and an undesirable discharge was under conditions other than honorable, but weren't exactly dishonorable.

During this time, the Army changed its regulations to ensure that LGBT service members would not qualify for general discharges. Those found guilty of engaging in homosexual sex, still received dishonorable discharges, while those identified as homosexuals but not to have committed any "homosexual" acts now received undesirable discharges.

By the 1970s, a service member who did not commit any homosexual acts would tend to receive a general discharge, while those found guilty to have engaged in homosexual sex tended to receive undesirable discharges.

Gay service members continued to receive a unproportionate percentage of the undesirable discharges issued. This was the status quota until replaced in 1993 by the policy known as "Don't ask, Don't tell".

It has been suggested that the large LGBT populations in port cities like San Francisco, Chicago and New York City are in some ways the result of the blue discharge. It's thought this because many gay blue-ticket veterans from smaller urban or rural areas might have felt they were unable to return to their home because of the shame that was associated with their discharges.

Thus relocating to larger areas with established gay communities or simply stayed in the cities that they arrived in after being discharged.

_______________________________

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people." -Coretta Scott King

_______________________________

Written by: Mote96

@TheHalfBloodPrince36

I've had the great pleasure of interviewing an author here on Wattpad, namely @TheHalfBloodPrince36.

@TheHalfBloodPrince36 has posted many different kinds of books here on Wattpad, from werewolf stories to BDSM stories and she writes homosexual and heterosexual stories. Talk about being a good matchmaker!

@TheHalfBloodPrince36 started writing in her early teens as a result of not liking the endings of the books she read, so she simply wrote her own version! Her first full story was written when she was around fourteen.

It's called "Guys Can be Cheerleaders Too", and she got the idea when she saw a really funny picture of a big, macho, hairy guy in a girls cheerleading costume. The story was not planned and she basically just wrote anything she felt like writing until it resembled a story.

The reason she started writing was because she had general ideas, but couldn't find any stories with them, so she started writing her own. A huge inspiration for her was @TheCookieMonster's story "Because You're Worth It".

Something that all her posted stories have in common is that they all contain romance, which could be because her favorite genre is romance. Apparently she's a total sap, and if a book isn't full of fluff then she'll struggle to get into it but lately she has also gotten into non-fiction stories, her latest read off of Wattpad being Charles Darwin's book "The Origin of Species".

Aside from Wattpad I was curious about what a normal working day looked like for her, and that would be getting up as late as possible in order to get to work by quarter to 10. Then attempting to stay sane working in an environment jam packed with kids.

Before going home at 6 to collapse in bed with her laptop, boyfriend and a take-away, which sounds great but many might wonder when she has time for writing?

She does that at home on her laptop, generally around 3-4 in the morning when she's struggling to sleep. Writing anywhere else other than in her bed doesn't seem to be an option as she struggles with writing when there are distractions around.

When it comes to planning Prince admits that she can't plan to save her life which makes the hardest part of writing for her to be following through with a storyline that she's planned in her head.

She likes to write in the moment and if she plans too far ahead she can't find the motivation to actually write the chapter when it gets to that because she feels as if she's already done that.

If that's the hardest part, what's the best part of being an author? For Prince that would be having strangers read her weird fantasies and not feeling so weird about them, because there are other people who have those weird fantasies too and by the look of how it's going for her stories, there must be many with those fantasies.

Still when I asked her when she considered herself a writer she replied very modestly with "I don't really consider myself as a writer to be honest, I think you've gotta be pretty good to call yourself that."

Since @TheHalfBloodPrince36 has been on Wattpad for a while and has done pretty well for herself, I asked her for some advice to give aspiring writers.

The main thing was to "Read and interact with other people!"

That's it people! Be sure to check out @TheHalfBloodPrince36's current project "Entire Submission" as it is the first story that she has decided to make a real effort with, so that should be worth giving a read! Along with her other stories too, of course.

_______________________________

I hope you guys enjoyed learning more about the history of LGBT community. I just have a few things to tell you guys then you can get book to your stories.

First thing is that I'm sorry this issue is short. We are currently having difficulties in LGBT United and I hope to have them fixed soon.

Second thing is that I would still like you guys to PM and comment life quotes that you guys came up with by yourself. The Wattpader with the best life quote will when a interview that will be put in LGBT United.

Third thing is that the lgbtqiagenrepet1tion has had a makeover for our profile. It will now be the base for all things LGBT. You guys should checkout the new look for the profile.

I hope you guys have a awesome day or night. You may now get back to your LGBT stories.

-K.A. TheAlias-

_______________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

356 83 23
📖 SHORT LGBT Story 📖 #WATTPRIDE 🏳️‍🌈 H I G H E S T R A N K S 🏳️‍🌈 #18 in #gaycouple || 23.11.18 || #15 in #pridemonth || 23.11.18 || #330 in...
261K 12.1K 67
Addison Bruno-Williams was definitely not homophobic. How can he be when he had two dads that he loves more than anything? But still the dreaded g-w...
56.7K 2K 43
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...
159K 5K 23
It doesn't matters who you love, if that person reciprocates your feeling. Sometimes being, or getting things to be legal, doesn't help with the prob...