Wolf at Heart

By Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... More

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Sixteen: Training
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid
Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Six: Bandages
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack

25 6 9
By Whisper486

I reached the quaint little stream Carter had described. The laughing, bubbling stream trickled down the moss-covered rocks. Tadpoles swam contentedly in the shallows. Birds flocked in the trees, chirping quietly amongst themselves.

Almost picturesque, the scene before me.

A bit too picturesque.

Dismounting, I let Fawn graze nearby, and settled down to wait.

Taking out the bandages once again, I pondered. Was it the bandages themselves that had healed me?

It was a ridiculous notion, but then again I was living with people who could shape-shift into animals, so who knew?

Or was it something more?

Deciding to experiment some, I changed out my current bandages for my old ones. I wrapped it around my head. I'll check on it later, after lunch. It's about time that I got some answers.

Hearing distant galloping, I got up, readying myself. It was also about time that I got my letter back.

Carter emerged from around the corner of the bend in the path. He pulled back slightly on the reins to slow his steed. He dropped down beside me, taking a sip from a canteen.

"You sure got here fast. I haven't ridden like that in a while," Carter gasped beside me.

I smirked, catching sight of my letter sticking out of his satchel. Did you think you could hide that from me?

Discreetly plucking it from his back, I then waved it in front of his face. "Forget something?"

Carter's hand raced to his bag and he gave me a sheepish look.

"You know, it's rude to read other people's mail. Did anyone ever teach you that?"

He grinned, and replied, "Well, knowing who it was from made it irresistible. Are you sure you aren't in a relationship, Melody?"

Balking, I immediately denied it. How could he have turned the tables so quickly?

"Hmm," Carter muttered, pretending to examine me. "You say no, but judging by how red your face is, I'd say otherwise."

Pushing him away, I exclaimed sharply, "Stop that! What does my personal life have to do with you?"

The humor suddenly drained from Carter's face. He quietly leaned back and said, "Everything. Don't hurt him, alright? He's a great guy. Don't hurt him any more than he already has been. Just trying to repay a...favor."

Shaken by how the conversation had suddenly turned, I moved onto a different subject.

"So why are we here?"

Carter's expression relaxed, but his posture remained taut. I wanted to ask why he was so concerned about Dakota, but I took the hint and stayed silent.

He said in a somewhat pleasant voice, "I come here a lot when I train the Delphai. It's very peaceful here. Helps to clear my mind. Miss Helen showed me this place, saying she would like someone else to enjoy it. I've passed it onto you."

Touched, I sat back, taking in the view. Carter and Miss Helen were right, it was very relaxing.

Glancing at the sun's placement in the sky, Carter jumped up.

"Melody, you need to get going. In about two hours, go to the hunter's archery range."

Startled, I asked why.

Carter grinned. "Every day except for the seventh, you have lessons with the hunters. All the first years do. They'll teach you how to fight. I'm assuming you don't want to go looking like that?"

He gestured, and I realized he was right. Dakota had said the year before taught. If I was going to see him there, I was definitely washing up. Plus, after a morning or mucking out stalls, I was sure I smelled terrible.

"Thanks for the reminder," I told Carter.

Nodding, he closed his eyes. "I'll stay here a little longer."

Mounting Fawn, I urged him to break into a canter. He happily obligated, having no trouble navigating to the stables.

After hanging his tack on the wall and letting him loose in the fields, I jogged to my room.

Carefully unwrapping the bandages, I took a brief cold shower in the washroom. Changing from my stable hand clothing to my everyday wear, I checked my reflection in the water.

I was about to rebandage my head when I took a closer look.

There was no wound on the side of my head.

What in the world?

I knew I had one, but all I saw now was a faint scar. What was up with me and my injuries?

No time now, I had to get to the archery range. I didn't like being late with the Feline and didn't like being late now.

Shifting into my second form, I made my way to the field. This time, I remembered where the range was, managing not to get lost.

The only ones present at the range were Isaac and the Head Huntress Rita.

A bit let down, I couldn't find Dakota anywhere.

No matter.

Or at least that's what I told myself.

Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed four dark-clad figures from out of the trees, surrounding us.

Pulling out both of my knives, I took a defensive position. "Head Huntress! Isaac!" I called but got no response. Neither of them looked my way.

What was wrong with them?

Momentarily distracted, I barely dodged a swing from one attacker.

I had to lead them away from the others.

Blocking an oncoming punch, I retaliated with a kick to his side. The opponent crumpled, gasping for air under his mask.

"That's gotta hurt," I muttered.

With my back turned, another twisted my arms backward, forcing me to drop my weapons as I hissed in pain. He or she might have my arms, but not my legs.

Kicking them up to my chest while jumping, I flipped, making whoever was holding me flip with me. The attacker slammed into the ground, eyes dazed behind her mask. Had she been any heavier, I couldn't have pulled off that move.

The remaining two now circled me warily like vultures, staying back.

"Come at me," I taunted, trying to bait them into doing something rash. "Two against one. No worries, right?"

From the look they shared, they were going to rush me at the same time. It was the only plausible thing to do at this point.

Quickly ruling out possibilities, my mind raced for options.

There was no way I'd be able to regain my knives without leaving an opening. No makeshift weapons in sight. Huntress Rita and Isaac wouldn't help, so that was out.

Looks like this would be a regular old fist fight.

My specialty.

You didn't think that being kicked around by my dear parents taught me nothing, did you?

As expected, the two charged, one from each side, converging on me.

"Well, this complicates things," I mused to myself.

Dropping low to the ground, I threw my legs outward, tripping one of them. Elbowing her in the ribs for good measure on the way down, I whacked her in the side of the head with a nearby branch. Facing the last attacker, I growled.

First raised, we circled.

Giving no warning, he threw a fast jab to my chin, sending me reeling.

Wiping the blood off my mouth, I smirked. "Are we resorting to that now? Alright, this is more my speed."

Lunging forwards while speaking, I shifted, tackling the remaining attacker. Snarling, I opened my mouth, my fangs hovering over his neck.

Inches away.

Green eyes stared hatefully back at me, and I tried to remember where I'd seen that exact shade before.

Stepping off and shifting back to human fluidly, I snatched the mask off his face, confirming my suspicions.

"Dakota?!"

(Side Note: I'm just curious, but who do you guys prefer more? Carter? Or Dakota? Maybe it's time to take sides...)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.4K 1.6K 58
Lunas are revered. Lunas are loved. Lunas are protected. Chosen by Alpha of the Southern River Border, Isabel is none of these. Isabel cleans herse...
Soul Tides By CJ

Paranormal

84.9K 8.3K 55
A sex worker turned private eye must investigate her supernatural hometown in order to find a missing girl, but when clues lead her on a path of dead...
33.4K 1.4K 49
He came into my world like a hurricane, unpredictable, dangerous and out of control, destroying everything I had built in his wake. There would be no...
37 5 9
#450 in general fiction 01.12.2024 #63 in paranomal romance 01.12.2024 #10 in supernatural romance 01.12.2024 #6 in new fiction 01.12.2024 ...