The Fallen King | ✓

By myreadingaddictions

Harper King is the girl who has it all. More fame than you could ever imagine, looks beyond compare and the... More

Author's Note
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Companion Novel - Assassination 101

Chapter 1

15K 362 104
By myreadingaddictions

*DISCLAIMER: if you've read RFC please don't spoil anything about Harper's past for new readers*

~Chapter 1~

It took around half an hour before we made it to the club situated near the centre of New York City and I could hear Maddison groaning beside me about how we were late but her complaints just made me laugh as we paid the taxi driver and stepped into the cool night air, the chilly wind nipping at my exposed legs.

"You panic way too much, Maddie," I commented as we walked to the front of the ridiculously long line formed outside the club, the music already audible.

She shrugged, tucking a strand of brunette hair behind her ear self-consciously when she heard the shutter of camera lenses from behind us.

"Harper! Harper King, over here!" Some of the voices called but I paid them no mind, used to the incessant pester that was the paparazzi. That was why we'd chosen the club we had. It was pretty secure, bodyguards everywhere so they couldn't get in to disturb us.

"Tell us about Damien Beckett, we heard you two were getting rather cosy a few weeks back," another voice shouted as we neared the front of the club. That particular comment irked me slightly but I didn't let it show, instead just smiling as if it were any other day.

The bouncer let us both right in when we reached him, not even needing to check the list and we hurriedly headed inside, not wanting to be out in the cold or near the paparazzi any longer.

"I've texted Winter. She's with Liam by the bar and they got here half an hour ago. I told you we were late," she huffed, tugging me forcefully by the hand to the bar in the middle of the club.

"I never said we weren't but it's my birthday so they can't be annoyed at me," I pointed out, almost tripping over in my heels thanks to the dangerous speed Maddison was moving with.

She shot me a playful glare, an obvious smirk on her face. "Oh so now you're acknowledging your birthday are you? Guess that means you're actually going to have to enjoy yourself and by that I mean we're getting hammered," she concluded with the clasping of her hands as we reached the bar, both of us spotting Winter immediately. With that silver-blonde hair of hers, she was never one you missed, couple that with her icy blue eyes and she was impossible to ignore, resembling a true snow princess — she really couldn't have a more fitting name.

"Hey Winter," I called out, both of us striding over to where she was sitting. "Sorry we're late. Work ran over like usual."

"No problem," she waved off, handing both Maddison and I a glass of scotch. "I figured as much so thought we should start the drinks early. God knows you both need it."

I rolled my eyes at her and Maddison scoffed but still downed her drink in a matter of seconds. "Thanks for that, Winter, but I think we both know Harper needs it way more. I mean, she chose to work on her birthday, absolutely crazy," she remarked, ordering some shots.

"Where's Liam? Maddie said he was with you," I asked, swiftly changing the subject.

"Oh right, I'm not too sure. We were just chatting then suddenly he got a text and disappeared just before you guys got here. He'll probably be back in a few minutes though, you know what he's like," she said with a fond roll of her eyes.

"Speaking of Liam, has he popped the question yet?" Maddison asked, handing both Winter and I what I assumed was vodka.

"What? This again, Maddie? We're both twenty-two, calm yourself. I don't want him to propose anytime soon," she said but there was a faint blush on her cheeks, telling us otherwise. We both gave her knowing smiles to which she just blushed harder. "Seriously guys, I mean it."

"Sure, sure," I said in an unbelieving tone but left the topic at rest, choosing to not embarrass her further.

Winter and Liam had been dating for a little over three years now. They actually met through work if you can believe it. Winter was a fashion designer and a good one at that. Since her mum was already in the business it was easy for her to get her footing and launch her own brand by the age of seventeen — I know, insane.

Liam, like myself, was a model. They ended up meeting at one of his shoots and hit it off right away, the rest was history.

"Speak of the devil," Maddison remarked as Liam sneaked up behind Winter, planting a soft kiss on her right cheek, making her smile ear to ear.

Winter definitely landed herself a good guy with Liam. He was a right charmer who would put a smile on your face no matter what and always had good intentions at heart even if his goofy nature made it not always seem that way. He was tall, well built and had a set of perfect straight white teeth, making his smile one of his greatest assets in terms of his modelling especially because it contrasted so nicely to his rich, dark skin that he inherited from his Nigerian roots.

After their short display of public affection, Liam strode over to me, his six foot one frame engulfing me in a tight hug. "Happy birthday, shorty," he grinned cheekily.

"Where did you disappear to?" Winter asked after our short exchange, grabbing her first shot of the night.

Liam found her hand, intertwining their fingers before answering. "Remember that friend of mine who was coming to visit?"

A few weeks back, Liam mentioned a friend of his coming to New York all the way from London — my old home. He had been gushing about it non stop since. Apparently the two had been friends for years, always running into each other because of work.

I think you can guess what this guy's job was. Yep, like both Liam and myself, this guy was a model.

"Turns out his flight was earlier than he thought. He got here earlier today so I told him to meet us here. I was going to make sure he got inside alright, you know with his name not being on the guest list or anything but he got straight through. I guess being famous does have its perks. Anyway, I couldn't find him but he texted me saying he just went to the bathroom so he should appear any minute."

"What's his name again?" Maddison asked, the contents of her third drink sloshing around in its glass.

Liam's attention shifted from his now-empty shot glass to Maddison, flashing her a bright smile. "Oh right, it's Axel, Axel Knight."

The name sounded familiar and not just because he was big in the modelling industry but for some other reason, something I couldn't quite place my finger on but I shrugged off the thought, not concerned enough to think about it further.

"Did someone say my name?" A voice asked from behind where I stood, sounding soft and smooth like velvet.

Liam grinned, his straight and dazzlingly white teeth on full display. "Axel, long time no see, man," he said, walking past me to give the guy a pat on the back like how he always did when he greeted someone.

"Yeah, it's been too long," the silky smooth voice said, the sound alone sent flutters down my spine. "And who are these guys?"

Liam laughed, the throaty chuckle pleasant and warm. "This stunning blonde over here is my girlfriend, Winter," he introduced, walking back into my line of view. He pulled Winter up from her seat, circling his arms around her waist and pecking her cheeks.

"Ah, you're the famous girlfriend I've been hearing so much about. Liam never shuts up about you, I swear, but he really didn't do you justice when he said you were beautiful. I'm surprised you'd stay with an idiot like him. He's not holding you captive or anything is he?"

Winter chuckled, shaking her head 'no' but the blush on her pale complexion was clear as day as she kissed Liam lightly on the cheek.

"The brunette, already downing her third shot, is Maddison. She's a bit of a wild card and an alcoholic so be careful around her," he teased and she scowled, swiping the glass that was in his hand, effectively proving his point.

"I'm Maddie, it's nice to meet you, Axel," she smiled, pretending Liam's introduction never happened. Typical Maddie. I could hear his laugh as Maddie looked over my sitting-down figure at him; it was melodic and deep. Who knew a voice alone could sound so inviting.

"And last but definitely not least, this is the birthday girl, Harper. I'd tell you something embarrassing about her but she's embarrassing enough on her own so there's no need."

I glared at him before finally deciding to turn around in my seat to see Axel for myself. When I did, ready to greet him myself, it was like my voice vanished. Standing at around six foot, one of the most attractive looking men I had ever seen — and I worked with models on the daily — was towering over me and I'd be completely lying if I said I wasn't slightly awestruck.

It was hard to make out his features fully in the dim lighting of the club but his good looks were still clear as day. He had a strong jaw and straight nose coupled with plump pink lips, stretched into a grin. His hair was pure black, a few strands falling onto his forehead thanks to the apparent carelessness it had been styled with. He was lean but well built with obvious muscles. Let's not forget to mention the tattoos covering the majority of his arms and most likely his chest as well.

Then lastly: his eyes. How did I even explain?

It looked like they were searching through my soul, reading me like an open book as he watched me, waiting until I spoke. They were a gorgeous soft brown, flecks of an almost-yellow-colour only visible in certain angles of light. They radiated warmth and comfort, the stunning brown looking like rich honey in the minimal lighting.

Shaking back my clear surprise, I mustered a smile. "Like the idiot said, I'm Harper and you must be Axel."

"That I am and I've definitely heard a lot about you and not just from the tabloids. Liam was almost having a fit when he told me how you guys first met. I tell—"

"I don't think we need a recount of that story," I said cringing, cutting Axel off before he had the chance to embarrass me.

He laughed at my outburst, sending me a wink in the process. I couldn't help the blush that covered my cheeks but I was hoping he didn't notice because of the lack of lights in the room.

With a random subject change from Winter, we carried on chatting mindlessly, our drinks constantly being topped up.

~*~*~

Liam and Winter left a while back, probably from some 'alone time' and, not too long later, Maddie saw a 'cute blonde' and disappeared to 'get her flirt on' as she so eloquently put it.

So now it was just me and Axel and I'd be lying if that didn't make my heart flutter a little bit. It was probably just my hormones appreciating the fact that he was extremely attractive. I hardly knew the guy, so I knew it was nothing more but I couldn't shake the feeling that he was slightly familiar.

"You know, you're not what I expected," Axel told me, eyeing his umpteenth shot of the night.

I shrugged, a smile on my face, the countless drinks I'd had putting me in a lax state. "What were you expecting?" I asked curiously.

He tapped his fingers on his right knee in thought and shook his head with a smile. "I don't know if I'm being honest. You've surprised me, that's for sure. The press have made you out to be this perfect 'golden girl' but Liam describes you in a totally different way. It was like hearing about two different people so I was really confused about what you'd actually be like."

"Well, I hope I surprised you in a good way," I said, a flirtatious smile on my face.

Axel watched me for a moment, almost like he wasn't expecting my answer. "Definitely," he nodded. "But I think the drinks helped loosen you up. I hear you're a bit of a workaholic."

"I guess but it's whatever. It pays the bills, you know?"

He looked like he didn't believe me but, luckily, didn't pursue the topic because Maddie, Liam and Winter all suddenly appeared in front of us, determined looks on their faces.

"What are—" but I didn't even get to finish my sentence before they all simultaneously cut me off, all of them staring intently at Liam's watch.

"Happy birthday, Harper!" they all shouted, identical joyous grins on their faces.

It must have been midnight. We had a tradition to try and be the last one to say it before the end of the day but I guessed they must have decided to do it all together this year.

"Actually, you guys were about thirty seconds out," a voice said, smugness evident in the tone.

"Happy birthday, Shortcake."

~*~*~

Hey guys! So that's the first chapter of TFK and I really hope you liked it. Let me know your thoughts so far 🙃.

Question of the week: what's your favourite colour?
Mine is purple (like literally my whole room is purple 😂).

🌟Please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT🌟

Anyways, that's all for now. See you next week xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49K 2.2K 48
"Can a Man be complete for a Woman? Can he vanish away her pain?" . . Let's Find out!! -Self ...
Reality By Nicole

General Fiction

111K 6.1K 32
SEQUEL TO EXPECTATIONS! It is highly recommended to read the first book before starting this one. - - - - - - It's a funny thing, expectation versus...
Bex By KaylieR4

Teen Fiction

47.6K 1.8K 48
One girl. One boy. One life changing deal. "You change your mind?" He asked smugly as I walked over to him. "Before I agree to anything, I have o...
353K 8.8K 62
She's rich, the perfect student, and graduating early. He's a heathen, a heartbreaker, and well he may never graduate... These all might be true, but...