My Neighbor's Friend

By m3mori3s_of_darkn3ss

Falling in love... you never know when it will happen, how it will happen. You may fall in love with someone... More

What Are You Doing to Me?
Armin and Mikasa
The Ackermans
Invitation: Part 1
Invitation: Part 2
Hange Zoe
Missed Opportunity
Confrontation
Shock
Goodbye
Broken
Levi and Mikasa
Back to Day One: Levi Version
Story of a Dark Prince
Mending a Broken Heart
Love...?
From Bad to Worse
The Call
The Second Visit to Shiganshina
The Heart Wants What The Heart Wants
One Step Closer
The Ackermans... Once Again
Leaving Already?
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
A Choice of No Regret

The Day We Met

485 18 42
By m3mori3s_of_darkn3ss

"Hange's back?!" I shout first thing after entering through the front door.

My mom, being strict as always, shoots a glare at me that meant 'lower your voice, Eren', then smiles. I swear I'm still trying to figure out how she can transform from a glaring villain to a loving mother in two seconds. It's like she has a switch inside her or something. Anyway, that's not the point here.

The point is, Hange is here! Oh, you're probably wondering why I'm so hyped about this Hange person. Let me elaborate. Hange Zoe has been my neighbor for as long as I can remember. And since my father mostly stayed away from the house (still does), they used to babysit me whenever mom had to go out. Doesn't mean they're super old though. I used to be around 6 and they were probably around 18. So yeah, 12 years. Not that old at all. And then, when I was around 11, Hange got a job offer in Stohess. It was probably an amazing opportunity because I remember everyone congratulating them a lot. And so, they left.

And now, after six fucking years, they decide to pay a visit!

I start setting up a plan in my mind how I'm gonna tackle them the moment we meet. Hange and I used to be really close, almost like friends. They never treated me like a kid, unlike others. But that was probably because I actually listened to their wild and crazy scientific theories, while everyone else tried to run away. But still, they were the only friend I had before I met Mikasa and Armin.

I hurriedly stuff my mouth with food before turning on my heel to bolt out of the door.

"Eren!"

Dang! Almost made it!

I turn around, facing my mom. "Yes?"

She gives that angelic smile, which can either be very good or very bad.

"I hope I won't be hearing any complaint from the neighbors."

Yup. Very bad.

"Mom!" I whine, kind of. "I'm just going to greet them. It's not like we're strangers or anything."

"Alright. But Hange's brought a friend. So, behave yourself. I don't want their guest to feel unwelcome because of you."

What the-?

Hange's brought a friend?!

Who the fuck would be crazy enough to be friends with them? Other than me of course. Shit! I gotta meet this 'friend' guy! I mean... if it's a guy. Or a girl... or like Hange ... whatever. I gotta meet this person.

"Yeah yeah, I got it. Jeez! You make it sound like I'm some kind of savage!"

I see my mom shaking her head in laughter, and then, I disappear through the door.

---------------------------------------------------

I spot them from the other side of the road. Both of them, sitting on the lawn and chatting. And yes, it's a guy apparently. The friend, if my guess is not wrong. I cross the road and walk over to their house to greet my long-time-no-see neighbor and their friend. Now that I look closely, I see Hange sitting on the grass with their legs stretched, and the other guy sitting on... a blanket? One of his legs is folded while the other is bent at the knee and propped up, his elbow resting on it.

I look around the lawn. It's pretty neat and clean. The house has been empty for years, so that's actually quite surprising. Did Hange clean it up in the morning? As far as I remember, they're not the kind of person to pay attention to things like 'mowing lawns'. Well, maybe they've changed. Who knows? But why's that other guy not sitting on the grass? I try peeking at his face. But he's looking away from me, at Hange. So I can't really make out how he looks either.

After standing there for a couple of minutes, I realize my actions are probably similar to a stalker's. So, I stop spying (I wasn't... well, maybe a little) and decide to call out to my crazy ass neighbor.

"Hange!"

Both of them stop talking and Hange turns their head right and left until finally noticing me at the gate. They look almost the same as before, just older. Dark brown hair tied into a messy ponytail, topaz eyes framed by square, thick-rimmed glasses glinting with wickedness, lips curled into a shit-eating grin. Wearing the usual grey V-neck t-shirt and black trousers. They bounce up on their feet and start waving at me frantically.

"Hey! Snotball!!"

Oh no!

'Snotball' is apparently a nickname Hange invented for me while babysitting. Because, according to them, my real name is 'kinda boring' and also because they claim to have spent most of our time together wiping the snot from my nose.

In my defense, I loved the rain. Not my fault that I ended up catching a cold every fucking time.

I see the friend quirk an eyebrow at the nickname, and turn his head to look at the person it belongs to. Our eyes meet.

And I die.

Well, not literally. But if there was a way to kill somebody by the intensity of one's gaze, I'd definitely be dead. Because fucking hell! I have neverseen a guy so damn hot! Not your normal hot, the 'I'll-become-gay-for-you' kind of hot. And the fact that I'm already gay doesn't help the situation at all. I let my eyes roam over him. Pale skin, sharp nose, high cheekbones, thin lips. Ready to kiss... or bite. I don't mind either.

Whoa! I did not just say that.

His eyes are like molten silver, burning me inside out. His hair, his goddamn soft as silk raven hair, is parted in the middle and trimmed in the back. Some of the strands hang loosely in front of his eyes, swaying with the slightest breeze. And I want nothing more than to run my fingers through them, to see if they're truly as soft as they look. But the look in his eyes is enough to let me know that I'll probably end up dead if I try.

I don't even notice when Hange comes up to me, not until they suddenly shove their face in my view. I yelp and back away.

Wow Eren! Very smooth!

They notice what (or who) got me distracted, then look back at me. And... is that a smirk?

I take another step back. Cautiously.

But then Hange pulls me into a hug and all my breath is knocked out. I struggle to get out of their death grip, and when I'm almost sure I'm gonna die from suffocation, they let me go. I stagger backwards, hands on my knees and panting.

I look up to see my newly harbored crush standing beside my neighbor. But as I straighten myself, I find my eyes looking down to meet his.

Is he... shorter than me?

I realize I'm standing with my mouth wide open. I snap it shut immediately, my face turning red. He must have realized the reason for my sudden surprised expression, because his eyes become dangerously narrow. And if his look was frightening before, now it's menacing!

And no, that certainly does not turn me on!

"How've you been Snotball?!" the name-calling brings me back to reality.

"Hange! Stop calling me that!" I object loudly, then mumble, "I'm not a kid anymore."

They laugh.

"Oh yeah. I can see that!"

And I suddenly become aware of a pair of silver eyes, looking directly at me. It makes me self-conscious about my own looks. My tousled brown hair, and weird green eyes. I take a peek at the man who's been stirring me up since the moment my eyes fell on his. He stands confidently. Clad in a perfectly fitting white shirt and black jacket, hands in the pockets of his light blue jeans. His eyes follow me from head to toe. I look down to find myself in faded jeans and a dark green hoodie, which I was most likely wearing yesterday too. And I don't even have to look to know that my hair is a mess. I discreetly try to sniff my underarms, praying silently that I don't smell as bad as I fear.

Fuck! Who knew Hange's friends with a fucking Adonis?!

Well, a short Adonis, to be exact.

I-It's not like I'm trying to impress him or anything, but if I knew, I'd have at least tried to make myself more presentable.

"O-Kay!" Hange intervenes, and I release a breath I didn't even know I was holding. "Time for introductions!"

"This", they point at me with their index finger, while looking at their friend. "is Snotball!"

"Hange!"

"Also known as Eren Jaeger."

I huff in irritation and look at the man I'm being introduced to. And he's fucking smirking. I look away, lips pressed together to show my annoyance.

"Now now Eren, don't you want to meet my precious guest?"

That gets my attention. Because I really do wanna know his name. So I look at them again. And surely enough, his smirk widens.

Damn you! You... you hot piece of ass!

"Eren", this time Hange looks at me and points at him. "Meet Shorty!"

It takes me some time to process what I heard. And in that time, I see the smirk dissolve from his face, replaced by murderous rage. Suddenly I'm worried about Hange's life.

He shoots them a deadly glare, and I see with wide eyes as his fist lurches forward to hit them in the ribs.

"Also knows as", Hange continues to speak while dodging the punch effortlessly. "Levi Ackerman."

Levi Ackerman.

I've never had a name fetish before. Wait. Is that even a thing? But the moment I hear it, I know it's perfect. His name couldn't be anything else. And my lips start itching to call out his name, to feel it on my lips, too see how he responds.

Levi.

Levi.

Levi.

Fuck! I said the last one out loud, didn't I?

Honestly speaking, I feel kinda uncomfortable. This is the first time I'm meeting this guy, and I already feel weak in the knees. I've never felt so strongly for someone on the first encounter. It's an unknown feeling. And it scares me. But it's not in my nature to run away from what I fear. Rather, I prefer to face it head on. Which means I just have to wait and see how things go from here.

I smile casually and stretch my hand forward.

"Hello."

He looks at me, then at my hand. He looks uncertain, as if not sure what to do. Then sighs and takes my hand, shaking it briefly before pulling away.

"Hey."

No, no! Eren, get a grip! His voice may be sexy as hell, but you cannot start drooling!

And he's uttered only one word! The fuck's wrong with me!

My eyes must have mirrored a look of insecurity or fear, because I see him shake his head and sigh.

"Relax kid. I don't bite."

Oh! I don't think I'll mind if you do.

I'm fairly certain my cheeks have taken the color of rose. He stares at me, lips curving slightly upward before he speaks again.

"Except those who sneak up on their neighbor and their friend to play James Bond."

Wait what?

To play... James Bond?

Fuck! Fuck! Fucking shit! He noticed me when I was watching them.

He noticed.

He. Noticed.

Please, please, please! Let me bury myself under the ground. Damn! This cannot be happening!  

And then, my brain processes the whole sentence.

"I don't bite, except those who sneak up on their neighbor and their friend to play James Bond."

He cannot be hitting on me, right? I mean, we just met like a few minutes ago.

I'm about to open my mouth to reply when Hange starts laughing.

"Stop teasing him Levi", they punch his arm playfully. "He's just getting to know you."

Levi glares at them for a moment before taking a few steps away from their reach. "The sooner the better, I suppose", he adds smugly.

"At this rate, you're gonna scare him away."

"Why? He's not a kid anymore." He looks at me from the corner of his eyes, lips forming that sexy smirk again. "Isn't that what he claimed a while ago?"

I fidget nervously as my eyes shift from him to Hange, then to him again. To my surprise, he takes a step forward. Then another. And I find myself taking a step back. He senses my discomfort and stops on his track, eyes studying me intently. I squirm under his gaze, eyes darting towards the ground.

"Besides", he starts again. "He's cute."

It would be an understatement to say I raise my head, because my head snaps upward so fast that it's a miracle my neck is still in one piece. And is there a limit to how much one can blush? Because as far as I remember, my cheeks haven't lost the rosy tint since the moment I met him.

I hear a whistle and turn my head to see Hange grinning madly and clapping their hands. Somehow I have a bad feeling about this.

"A-ha!" Their voice is so loud that I'm a little worried even my mom on the other side of the road might hear them. "I knew it! I knew you'd like him!"

Wait... like me?

What is going on?!

"Uhm... Am I missing something?" I ask Hange while fumbling with the laces of my hoodie.

They wink at me, then press their index finger over their lips.

"It's a secret", I hear them whisper.

"Stupid four eyes", Levi mutters. His voice sounds amused.

What have I gotten myself into?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 142 14
Two guys fall in love with you. Who you chose depends on how you feel about them by the end of the story *HAS BEEN SLIGHTLY EDITED* Not a lot has bee...
201K 7.8K 33
(Ereri AU Fan Fiction) Eren Jaeger has always been a constant third wheel amongst his friends, all in their relationship's and lovey dovey glory. E...
7.7K 347 24
Plummeting to earth as a shooting star, you find yourself in a dangerous world where humanity is on the brink of extinction. But the true mystery of...
541K 21.2K 123
[COMPLETED] "(Y/N), after everything we've been through, I have become certain of one thing. I love you. Having to stay away from you for so long onl...