Zorroku and Peaches

By ChelseaNorris5

A midevil orc love story. A female human cooking servant for one clan is recruited to cook for another. And h... More

The Hunt
Coming Home
A Place To Call Your Own
Connect The Dots
Wake Up a Servant, Go To Bed a Free Woman and Mother
Double Bow Knots
Foolishness
Ambitions and Intentions
The Truth
Freedom
Know Your Fish, Know Your Salt
Unfinished Business
Avlar - Home Sweet Home
The Battle For Motherhood
Fuhn-Lah
New Beginnings
Finalle
Original Part 1
Original Part 2
Original Part 3
Original Part 4
Original Part 5
Original Part 6 Finalle

Worth Her Salt

2K 41 13
By ChelseaNorris5

Zorroku and Peaches

Part 1- Worth Her Salt

At dawn you awoke out of a deep sleep when you heard riders coming into the village. They came right past your house, and circled it a few times. Speaking in a language you didn't know or understand. The sound of heavy draft horse hoof beats pommeling the ground woke you up and gave you a start.

You and your sisters all seemed to stir and sit up at the same time to the same disturbance. Your twin Grace shared a worried glance through the lightening darkness of the early part of the dawn. You both already knew what you needed to do. You both got up and got your little sisters, who were twins as well and only six, and made sure they were dressed and tucked safely under the bed and hidden just in case your home was about to be broken into and raided. Your sisters all shared one room and one big bed. Grace and yourself slept on the outsides of the mattress, leaving the much warmer middle of the bed for your younger sisters. Grace lit a tiny candle and both of you quickly got dressed and prepared for the inevitable. Then you heard a knock on the door and your father's answering of it. It was Khagra, the Clan Chief at your door at such an early hour and a quick conversation. Then you heard your father's knock on your bedroom door.

"Bella, you're needed." Your father, Micha bid urgently before you slipped out of your room.

"Yes Papa?" You asked, trying not to feel as panicked as you were inclined to feel. Hoof beats, especially right next to your house, conspicuously when you weren't expecting them was not a good sign.

"I need you in the kitchen, make a very good breakfast. Also a very big breakfast and some sweet fruit and honey cakes." Your father directed as you frowned in confusion as to why. But you nodded in understanding and slipped quickly into the kitchen to get to work. Your father went to your brother's room and ordered them to get to the fields and start butchering goats from the herd.You pulled up your long auburn curly hair so that it wouldn't get in the food, and rolled up your sleeves and set to work before your mother joined you.

"What do you need?" Your mother asked before you told her what you needed help with. You had lit the candles and the fires in the kitchen and taken stock of what you had on hand to work with. If your brothers were butchering goats and your father requested fruit and honey cakes, those were just two of the components of a meal. You tried to think of what else would be palatable and appropriate to offer with it and began pulling as many ingredients as you could get your hands on and putting them on the counters.

It was breakfast. So if you were roasting goats, that meant big appetites and to supplement the roasted goat meat- that meant bacon, sausages, ham that were already smoked and cured and hanging in your pantry. And eggs of course, possibly omletes, so you also pulled out a wonderful smoked cheddar too. But that was only if all the chickens, by a miracle- laid enough eggs yesterday and this morning. You pulled the fruit preserves and the comb of honey for the sweet honey cakes and set aside a log of butter for those as well. You pulled potatoes, onions, garlic out as well for pan fried potatoes and onions as you put a jar of pure bacon grease with them. You grouped your ingredients together by what should go into each dish as a repertoire of recipes began flooding into your brain. You needed relatively quick and easy dishes that could be made with minimal effort but maximum flavor. Biscuits and gravy would be in order as well. You also looked at the bowls of sourdough dough sitting on the counter and did a quick taste test and blew out a breath of relief when the dough was finally sweet and ready to be baked. You would have to make more once you baked that this morning. You worried if this breakfast was the only thing that would keep your family, your Clan Chief's family and the clan safe from raiding.

Right now you didn't hear anything other than the screams of a some goats meeting their ends in the butcher courtyard just outside the kitchen as your father and your brothers butchered goats and by the screams, each of them was killing and butchering it's own goat. You could hear your father urge your brothers to work as quickly yet thoroughly as possible. Your brothers, also twins- collected the blood into bowls. Since orcs usually loved blood cake and blood sausages as you pulled even more onions out just for that.

Your mother got to work using a knife to chop up and dice all the onions and garlic and potatoes so that the small pieces would cook that much quicker in the pans since you had lit up the entire hearth and the whole stove in the kitchen. Usually by now your mother was filling you in on what was happening. But because she wasn't, that told you that even she didn't know what was happening.

Grace was keeping your sisters calm so they wouldn't start crying and draw attention to themselves because the panic from the threat of being raided was still coursing through everyone's minds and hearts and while you could use her help in the kitchen too, your youngest sibling's safety was much more important to you.

Your father was the head village elder of this human "village". When in reality, it was only a small collection of houses of other human families that found themselves in servitude to the Clan Chief and his family. The village itself was inside a much larger orc village and within spitting distance of the Clan Chief's home. Most of the humans in this village served the Clan Chief himself and his family. It was not uncommon to get woken up and expected to churn out a feast that evening at your house. It was almost always at the request of the Clan Chief and the purpose for such a feast was for alliance negotiations. Usually, when you were given a proper notice of such an event- it was a matter of pride and joy for you. You enjoyed being hospitable and to host people and give them great food. And give Clan Chief Khagra that much more of an edge in said negotiations.

But there was an edge to your father's voice as he directed your brothers just outside the kitchen. He was urging them to both work quickly and yet cleanly. He insisted that these goats be dressed perfectly. And you could both hear and sense fear in both of your parents. Your stomach could only knot as you could only assume you were hosting the visitors that had circled your house like vultures that morning. Then your father came in, carrying in three freshly slaughtered goats since he had sent your brothers out to get three more among the flocks in the nearby barn. The carcasses were already beheaded, gutted, skinned and their legs below the knee already taken off too.

"Papa? What's going on?" You asked him as you quickly grabbed your good spice mixes and slathered the flesh with them as he put them on an oiled leather cover over a bench where you would either continue to break down whatever was killed and butchered. But you felt you didn't have the time. These needed to get started getting roasted as soon as possible. He helped you slather the goats with the big sack of already mixed spice seasoning. Then he put them on the spit in the fireplace in the kitchen for you.

"An alliance was just now struck between our clan and the Thunder Herd Clan. The Clan Chief of the Thunder Herd Clan and his sons rode all night to get here by morning and already brought an entire wagon full of pink salt from the mountains, cut into bricks. And they brought some slaves for the negotiations. And the two Clan Chiefs and their sons are coming to have breakfast at our house and discuss the details." Your father answered as your eyes got wide.

Usually your Khagra would come to you days or even weeks in advance so you could get things prepared and ingredients gathered for proper feasts for new alliances of this magnitude. So this was out of the ordinary.

That and alliances were never struck up with the Thunder Herd Clan. Not unless they had decimated your army of warriors first and the survivors tried to strike up an 'alliance' which was in truth- usually slavery or servitude. So that the survivors wouldn't be slaughtered too. For your clan- the Black Wolf White Rock Clan to strike up an alliance with them first without going to war meant...you didn't know what that meant. But you had a job to do and you needed to do it as well and as fast as you could.

"How many sons?" You asked and your father just shrugged, not knowing the answer. But considering the variables of two Clan Chiefs and at least the three sons your Clan Chief had. And including at least one son on the other side, despite hearing several horses worth of horse beats around your house. And considering orc's appetites, three goats was not going to cut it.

"We'll need at least three more goats then." Was all you could say in response.

Your father nodded in understanding and left again as you turned on the little mechanism that would automatically turn the goats on the spit so that no one part of them burned over the fire.

For some reason, Khagra, of the Black Wolf White Rock Clan, the orc clan that ruled your overall village really liked your father. And considered him a friend which was an honor in itself. And for the human pocket of population within the clan village, your father's house was where all the political alliances Khagra liked to conduct them. It was the best house in the human village.

But that was solely for Khagra's bragging rights. That even the humans in his village did so well. It also helped negotiations to have a nice place to eat and do business. It was considered almost neutral territory too. Because orcs liked to protect their private dwellings, but could open up anyone else's. And if negotiations didn't go well and the other clan wanted to start war immediately right where they were, at least the warchief's house and his family wasn't ground zero.

And right now you could hear all of Khagra's family were awake and talking in their own home. Which was also a sign that Kragra wanted this negotiation to go well. But also was a submissive stance to take. For Kragra to open up his own home to host them while you prepared breakfast was a sign of vulnerability and hospitality. Khagra was clearly doing all he could to keep them happy and entertained while you and your family worked.

You could hear several distinct voices and at least five voices you didn't recognize. So you assumed the other Clan Chief had at least four sons. And you heard what you had come to deduce was the Clan Chief of the Thunder Herd clan offer premade snacks that his clan had made for this alliance. Of course to be served at the hands of his own slaves. And you could hear and see the smoke coming out of the chimney in the kitchen of the Clan Chief's house already lit before you heard the tell tail signs of tea kettles boiling and whistling. So at least, you were not keeping your impromptu guests starving as you tried to work up a feast.

This arrangement was also beneficial for you and your family because it meant that your family was never the target of any violence, hazing or abuse from the rest of the clan. And were respected in the Black Wolf White Rock Clan itself. Your family was blessed with a title Borgan. Which meant honorary orcs and full clan members. And that meant your family theoretically had the same rights and freedoms other orcs in the clan had, even though you and your family remained servants of Khagra and his family. But only their servants and servants to no one else in the clan. And currently your neighbors who were also Khagra's personal kitchen slaves were working on things in Khagra's own kitchen. But not a full breakfast, just small snacks and appetizers, tea, coffee and juice.

And you could hear Khagra begin to boast of how good of a breakfast the Clan Chief and his sons were about to enjoy at your hands. And while you appreciated the praise, you worried that he was building you and your skills up to high. Then you heard that it was tales of your cooking, were most of the reason why they came. Great. Nothing like a super high bar to reach on such short notice. You could feel the pressure bearing down on you as if you were trying to carry a beam for a roof on your shoulders. You prayed to every god who could and would hear you to bless you and your efforts to live up to your reputation. And for nothing to burn, for everything to be cooked to perfection and for your guests to enjoy and like what they were about to eat.

You knew that the title of Borgan- outside the Black Wolf White Rock Clan, meant nothing to any other clan. And you and your family never presumed on that whenever you got to host other orcs from other clans. But that also meant that your father kept you and your sisters on very short leashes and kept you indoors or in your walled garden and out of sight for protection just in case.

Your family got the title of Borgan solely because of you. You were one of Khagra's most prized possessions. You were smart, sweet, respectful, obedient and could cook outstandingly well. Which is why Khagra made you Master of Feasts for the clan and usually between your kitchen and his own- his family's table was always filled with an abundance of food. You had a passion for cooking and it showed in every bite of every dish of every meal you made.

Your mother was a prolific gardener and the clan's Master Gardener. She made sure every home of every family in the village had it's own prolific garden. Your sister Grace, was the Master Medicine Woman, because she was a natural born healer and she made sure each family's garden also boasted every medicinal herb known to the peoples in the area and far beyond. Your family's walled garden was always bursting with produce. You could make just about anything your mother grew delicious. Which made you invaluable during negotiations. Which always went smoother if there was great food on the table. Your father was the village's Master of Spirits so he was in charge of the wine, beer and whiskey. The three drinks also helped negotiations a great deal too. And your brothers were the Master of the Clan Chief's herds.

Your father returned with another three goats and was half way through rubbing a different spice mix into the flesh- when there was a knock on the door from the kitchen to the outside on the stone path that led from Khargra's kitchen to yours. Your father answered the knock and you all recognized Khagra's voice before Khagra's own personal kitchen staff dropped off other ingredients, a mountain of eggs. And the aged steaks.

"Thank you so much for getting up and getting this feast ready on such short notice. I had no idea they were coming. They didn't send any message of any warning that they were coming. Only the messenger at the gate sent word to me that they were here this morning. They rode all night just to get here. For them to come to me is a great honor, even if it's unexpected. And once I gave the word to let them in, they scoped out my house and yours. They brought 32 very capable slaves and the largest pile of pink salt bricks from the mountains that is enough to build a house with that is equal in weight to the 32 slaves that they brought. They even brought tea, incense, very fine roasted coffee and fabrics and currently the slaves who are seamstresses and tailors are using that fabric to make myself and my family new garments as we wait. I can not stress enough how important this feast is. I brought every ingredient my own kitchen servants could think of to help you with your feast and are at your disposal to use as you see fit." He explained as his servants kept making several trips to bring his own kitchen's best ingredients into yours.

"We too are honored to receive and host them." Your father reassured Khagra.

You dusted yourself off and rinsed the blood off your hands and went to the door, greeting Khagra respectfully and pleasantly with a charming smile to mask your nerves. A skill you had become proficient in.

"So how many am I blessed to be feeding this morning?" You asked sweetly, as if you weren't scared shit-less. Because the Thunder Herd Clan was known to be very fierce and you knew little else of them other than that and their penchant for always riding huge draft horses would explain the hoof beats.

"Twelve. The Clan Chief has eight sons." He answered.

"Wonderful." You answered, as you nodded and tried not to become panicked.

"And about what time will you be needing this meal?" You asked, keeping your voice sweet and even boarded on excited, praying it wasn't an hour or less.

"In about two hours, I'll try to afford you more time. Currently we are playing games and getting to know each other to pass the time." He answered and you felt relief, two hours was doable as you looked to your father and nodded in agreement and understanding.

"Very well, we'll have it ready." Your father answered for you before Khagra smiled and nodded and left and your father shut the door.

"Papa, we'll need at least three more goats then, a pig won't roast in time, much less a cow. And we'll need the girls on the spits, that'll make nine or even ten goats, which will leave one goat for each warchief and their sons will have to split the rest. And hopefully between the other meats, they will be satisfied." You shook your head, not knowing how else your family was going to pull this off in two hours but you had to try, Khagra was counting on you.

"I'll go get them." Your mother nodded and left.

You then directed Khagra's kitchen servants to light the second hearth. And what to make and how to make it. Khargra's butchers were already carving up the hams into steaks, slicing the bacon, cutting the links of sausages apart and carving up the aged loins of beef into steaks. You got Khagra's baker to start taking your sourdough dough and making them into loaves and buns with pretty designs cut and cooked into the crust. She was baking Khagra's own sourdough dough as well. While the other was making biscuit dough for the biscuits and gravy and another was frying up the sausages and using others to make the sausage gravy. You urged another to make pancakes since they also brought over huge jugs of maple syrup. And directed another to make eggs, both fried eggs and omelets.

Soon, your sisters joined you, all of them starting to make quick sweet bread dough. And some sweet honey cake batter too. Your father stoked up the spits in the cooking section of the butcher courtyard. You slathered each new goat with a slightly different spice mix for variety's sake. Then you and your father put them on the rotating spits, and you set a bucket of spiced vinegar to cut through the fat and the grease of the goat. You placed a bucket next to each of your sisters to slather on the goats as they roasted with help of an herb brush as you had quickly and hastily tied and made those for them too after you spiced the goats. You went back to the kitchen to knead all the dough for the sweet bread. And then you continued to move the meal along. You were grateful that even though the other kitchen servants Khagra had were twice your age- they put up on argument with your direction and obeyed your orders and words.

You got done with the impromptu feast, happy and grateful that when you sampled each dish, it was cooked to perfection. And was actually one of your better feasts you had ever directed and cooked as the kitchen was now full of dishes, ready to be put on the table. And just as your father got done setting the table and getting things ready in the dining hall. You heard your father warmly greet your guests. You could practically feel the floors shift under their massive weight. Your nerves frayed a little. All while you and your family and Khagra and his family and other servants all silently prayed to the gods for this to go well. Once everything had been cooked and put into the best serving dishes Khagra and yourself had- except for the sweet fruit and honey cakes, which were just now being put into the oven to bake for dessert. Khagra's servants said that after the feast was served to the guests, then they would go to make breakfast for the Clan Chieftess and her daughters and daughters in law and all of her grandchildren. Leaving behind the leftover- unused ingredients, insisting that you keep them just in case they stayed for lunch and that if they did. They would be back to help you with that.

Your father came back to get the fresh hot loaves of bread and some oil, fruit preserves, butter and honey to spread on it and left again to start the meal off with. You and your mother and the others waited behind the door and practically pressed your ears to the door to hear how the offerings were received. All of you grinned at each other when you heard the guests groaning and moaning when they bit into the bread before they marveled at how soft and sweet it was.

Then your father came back and got the rest of the feast you had prepared as Khagra's other servants left and placed the dishes on the table and arranged them how you had instructed them to. Only the married ones went in to spare your mother and your sisters and yourself from having to deal with them personally, out of protection mostly while all the praise and glory for the feast went to you before they excused themselves with Khagra's permission to attend to the rest of his family. You weren't surprised when your father came back and got a small cask aged whiskey, barrels and kegs of ales and wine already in the dining hall itself. And returned before he was invited to join them. You, your sisters and your mother rested and recovered in the kitchen, finally ate yourselves the leftovers of all the dishes that couldn't be heaped into the serving dishes. All while the dessert continued to bake in the oven as you half heartedly listened to the negotiations but kept a close eye on the cakes and turning the cake pans in the ovens so that the cakes cooked evenly and all the way through.

When the cakes were done, you topped them with a glaze made from the fruit preserves mixed and cooked with honey after brushing the cakes with peach flavored whiskey and freshly squeezed fruit juices. Then you knocked the peculiar knock on the door that led from the kitchen to the dining room from the kitchen's side to let your father know it was ready.

But instead of your father coming to get the cakes- you heard Khagra beckon you personally to bring it out. You exchange a worried glance with your mother and your sisters who took your apron off and quickly fixed your hair so you're presentable before you took all three pans of fruit and honey cake out and you try not to panic as every guest seemed to freeze and stare at the sight of you as Khagra introduced you as your father's daughter and your official title within the clan.

You put the first cake between Khagra and the other Clan Chief who were seated opposite each other in the middle of the long table. Then you put the other two at the other ends of the table. You softly murmured your warnings that the pans and the cakes were still hot so that the guests would not burn themselves as they would cut out slices of the cake to serve themselves as you put special cake knives and spatulas with each cake for ease of serving.

You moved to leave again, not wanting to look up and make eye contact with your guests. You were just there to drop off the cake and leave again, no need for anything else. But in your peripherals, you could see that these orcs from the Thunder Herd Clan, were not only huge, even by orc standards. But they were a grayish blue in hue, if not just plain blue, some of them even had a slight green tint to the blue. Which was gorgeous to you, you had never seen orcs that color before. But you couldn't look up and really take notice except through your peripherals, lest they take offense because some orcs took offense to humans looking or staring at them in the eye.

"Thank you Bella." Khagra's youngest son, Shuzug, thanked you meekly. He had just turned 10. And was considered a late teenager for an orc since 12 was considered an adult for an orc in these parts. You lifted your gaze and smiled at him fondly. You reached into your pocket and handed him the peach you had been saving for yourself since you knew that was his favorite. You squeezed his forearm with a very quick and almost whispered 'you're welcome' after you slipped it into his hand. Then you tried to retreat again.

But the moment the peach appeared, all the Thunder Herd Clansmen blurted out "Peaches!" in the happiest most excited tone you had ever heard that practically boomed in the room and made the walls shake.

They excitedly looked at you with equal excitement that they did the peach itself. As if they had been waiting for that. You couldn't help but practically jump in your skin before you forced yourself to stay still and not cower in fear or run away.

"Uh, yeah. The first crop of peaches just became ripe. If you would like some- I could go fetch some for you." You offered, still keeping your gaze down respectfully. Even though you could see out of your peripherals that the Thunder Herd Clansmen are actually ducking their heads to try to catch your gaze. Which is very odd to you. You were hoping that they didn't take offense that you had handed Shuzug something and not offering them the same thing. Even though orcs usually didn't go for fruit or for sweet things, usually meat or savory things, at least in your experience. You just thought your Clan Chief and his family had simply gotten used to your cooking and your own penchant for sweet things.

"Off the tree?" The other Clan Chief asked hopefully and you nodded in agreement before you left and used your skirts to gather them out of the trees. You tried to get the best ones from the top of the tree. And since you were focused on the task at hand you didn't see how the Thunder Herd Clansmen were watching you from the window that the dining hall had to the garden.

You were blessed to have two different kinds of peaches. One was an orange-ish yellow color flesh. While the other was a very pale yellow, almost white in flesh. And every peach tree you had was very special in that it was 'ever bearing'. Which meant in early spring you had a crop. and then if you picked each peach carefully, another would grow in its place- until late fall. All your fruit trees and all your plants and bushes that were in the garden were this way. They had been blessed by a particular witch when it was first planted. And it was why your orc village fared as well as it did. No one ever went hungry here, a rare blessing indeed.

You arranged them in a very large bowl in the kitchen before you returned and offered them to the other Clan Chief and his sons. You explained how you organized them from firm to soft and one side was one kind and the other was the other. Then the Clan Chief and each son picked one of each.

Then you offered them to your own Clan Chief and his sons, before they took their favorites too. Then your father suggested you leave the bowl on the table. Which you did, before you tried to excuse yourself. But you got only one step away before your Clan Chief stopped you.

"Oh Bella?" He asked sweetly and you could hear his proud smile in his voice. You froze in your tracks and turned on your toes to face him, plastering on a pleasant smile and did your best to remain calm. Even though you could feel your heart pounding in your chest. And you were pretty sure these orcs could see that from where they were sitting.

"Yes My Lord?" You asked respectfully. You had been instructed to always call him that in front of other orcs.

When you weren't cooking for Khagra, you were helping his growing family with their children and grandchildren. And you had the privilege of simply getting by with casually calling him 'Chief' in the same tone you would call your father 'Papa' or 'Dad'. But for negotiations, it was always important to show the utmost respect to everyone, thus the 'My Lord' title.

"What spices did you use for the goats this morning?" He asked you proudly.

You knew what Khagra was doing. He was showing you off. Which was a tradition you had grown to get used to. Khagra would show off the wide variety of spices you would use on the meats and even the vegetables to make them taste better than most other orc dishes. And the other clan would marvel at something- that to you- was so simple. And then they'd always insist on stealing you away to be their clan's cook if not the other Clan Chief's personal cook for himself and his family. And Khagra would very firmly refuse because there was no way he'd give you up. No matter how good the trade deal and alliance was. Because you were his golden goose, something he could brag about and use to get what he wanted.

Plus, Borgans could marry whoever they wanted. Except for the warchief's own family. Which usually consisted of nothing but full blooded orcs. However Borgans were not expected to marry whoever the Clan Chief or anyone else would decide. They had the freedom and the right to choose for themselves.

But you could sense a shift in Khagra. He was willing to do more and more for power and for more negotiations for more alliances. His knees and his lower back were starting to fail him. And he was growing weaker and weaker with each passing year. And you feared he was getting less and less battle sound. So in order to get and keep alliances, he was willing to give up more and more. You feared- you included. You got the sense anyway. This alliance with the Thunder Herd Clan was huge and anything was fair game.

"For which goat My Lord? They all had their own spice mix." You asked for clarification.

"This one." He answered as he pointed to the other warchief's personal goat since each warchief had his own goat while the sons shared the rest and had clearly decimated them and the rest of the feast. Only tiny bits of each dish remained in it's original dish. You feared you should have slaughtered and prepared at least two more goats.

You came closer to decipher which goat the other Clan Chief had gotten. You stood behind Khagra's left shoulder and between Khagra and your father, who was seated to Khagra's left. You saw the tell tale signs it was one of the three you had personally done in the kitchen spit.

"That goat had..." You began as you listed off the spices you had slathered it with.

You tried not to grow afraid or worried as the other guests from the Thunder Herd Clan began to whisper and murmur to each other while they looked you over. Some of them doing so with a curious eye. A few were critical one. While the remaining ones were outright leering at you. They stared at the swell of your breasts and hips and the pinch of your waist. And you tried not to vomit and keep your composure as you could feel all of it.

"Told you, she is a cook worth her salt." Khagra bragged.

You inched backwards to retreat again, out of their reach. You felt anxious having so many of them with their gazes weighing so heavily on you. You feared you would fall through the floor to the root cellar underneath because their gazes had that much immense weight. Although you supposed it was a good thing they weren't actually reaching out to touch you or molest you right at that moment, as others had tried to do before. So there was that small comfort.

"How well do you cook horse? And you can look up at us. We aren't the kind of clan that take offense to a gaze." The other Clan Chief gently invited you. The question and invitation halted your escape. His voice was gruff with age and probably from so many battle cries. But his tone- was surprisingly curious and kind.

Your gaze finally lifted to meet his. His gaze was soft and gentle with an equally soft gentle smile that told you he was very pleased already. And that made you feel like you were going to be ok and filled you with some relief and a sense of calm and reassurance.

However, he was blue. Like a blueberry blue. And his eldest son seated to his right- since the eldest sons always sat to the right of their fathers. Right next to him was like a younger version of him. And in your opinion both were quite handsome. You returned his soft but shy smile. The Clan Chief himself graying in both beard and hair. Streaks of silver running through strands of shiny onyx. His hair was immaculately braided and plaited. And his clothes and armor looked very clean and in good condition. Granted- little worn with age and use, but not bad at all. All his sons were clean shaven which was interesting to you. And most surprising was the fact that you didn't smell any body odor on them. Instead you smelled amazing scented soap. And perhaps a masculine cologne. Or perhaps it was the incense that they had brought that had perfumed them and their attire.

"I have never had the pleasure of cooking a horse before." You answered honestly. Because the thought of cooking, let alone eating such a majestic creature- hurt your heart. But you needed to be gracious with your words, to again, not cause offense.

"You will learn. Come, bring your spices and my wife will show you." The other Clan Chief invited in a very commanding tone. But somehow you got the impression this wasn't a 'come learn this thing' kind of thing. This was a 'I'm taking you as a fuck toy and you're going to learn to cook my favorite food' kind of thing. You wanted to cry but you kept your face neutral. You looked from the Clan Chief of the Thunder Herd Clan to Khagra questioningly. Because he should be saying no for you right the fuck now. But he just nodded yes to you.

And you felt that nod seal your fate and the world shift beneath your feet. The air even grew so heavy you could hardly breathe. Khagra's sons stared at their father in shocked, horrified disbelief, if not outrage.

"Of course My Lord." You answered with a nod.

Then Khagra introduced the other Clan Chief, Crowthu- of the Thunder Herd Clan. And his sons by name.

First born was Zorroku. Who was 19 and smiled charmingly and pleasantly.

"Hi, I'm Zorroku. It's a pleasure to meet you. The food was excellent and the peaches were delicious." He stood from the table and shook your hand. And while your smaller hand felt like it disappeared within his own. His hands were callused but warm and his touch surprisingly soft and even tender. And with him standing up and bending over the table, you didn't have to reach to shake his hand.

"Thank you so much. I'm Bella, pleasure to meet you too." You smiled back before he sat down so his father could introduce his other brothers.

"And this is Silug." Crowthu introduced before he turned to his left since the second born was usually seated on the left as you had to lean over and shake his hand.

"Hi," He offered and didn't stand but instead of standing, he just offered his hand for you to shake which meant you had to lean over the table to reach his outstretched hand.

Then Crowthu introduced Winug, Yalak, the twins- Grushnag and Murnag and finally the youngest son- Nar. Who also stood and reached out to grab your hand and greeted you the most excitedly and happily.

"It's so great to finally meet you. We've heard a lot about you and it's nice to finally put a face to the name and see that the praise was definitely justified. That was the best meal I've ever had in my life. I look forward to you teaching me how you did it." Nar praised.

"I'll be happy to have you as a student Nar." You assured him with a warm smile.

You finally got a chance to really look at them as you greeted them back respectfully and politely. But besides Zorroku and Nar- actually standing up and leaning over and meeting you half way. The rest seemed to nod or make a gesture to differentiate themselves from their brothers and other than shake your hand and say 'hi'. Only Zorroku and Nar said anything more than that.

You feared that the rest thought you were not worthy to be spoken to. Some were very handsome by orc standards. Especially in Zorrku's case. He was the most handsome of them all. Otherwise half of them were fair in looks. A few were quite ugly though. Especially in the case of the twins Grushnug and Murnag and Winug.

Because of the range of skin tones, you knew that they perhaps had different mothers. At least two, maybe three. But you did your best not to let your true feelings and emotions show on your face. You fought to keep your face pleasantly neutral and your tone light and friendly.

When Crowthu was done introducing his sons, Khagrawas dismissed you to start getting prepared and ordered you to get the produce and seeds out of your garden so you would have the ingredients you needed to replicate the feast if Crowthu provided the other livestock.

So you left and went back into the kitchen. Where you immediately started crying as you frantically went around the kitchen to grab all the spices and seeds you could. Especially the peppers and fruits you loved so much. You started to put them into a very large satchel as you told your mother and your sisters what had just happened and what you thought just happened.

They started to get very worried at the news. You were the reason they were Borgan too. Did that just get revoked? Your mother worried for you the most. Especially since you were the only one of your sisters like you. Who not only liked to cook- but was really good at it.

You had tried teaching your sisters. And even your mother- who even though she was a prolific gardener, she tended to be a disaster in the kitchen. She only made a handful of things decently well. But outside of that, couldn't seem to grasp it. And while each of your sisters seemed to lean towards one thing, usually baking or vegetables. Meat was your specialty. And none of them could handle or let alone orchestrate everything like you could. Without you, there was no way any meal from then on would be nearly as good if you ever left. Something both your parents had told Khagra, and who agreed with them on that point. And that sentiment and why your family got the title of Borgan so that what was happening right now, would never fucking happen.

But things change.

Your mother was hoping that the warchief's youngest son would marry you as a second or third wife. Since he was the baby and wouldn't ever become a warchief, let alone the Clan Chief. So his offspring didn't need to be pure blooded. When he came of age to keep you there, at least he'd be nice to you because he adored you- and had adored you since infancy. But that was only because you spoiled him rotten with cakes and fruits, especially peaches which were his favorites.

Other orcs could be known to be very cruel to their wives by human standards. And while some in the clan had taken human wives because they liked "super tight pussy" and the feeling of their mates being "a cock sleeve". So that it felt like they were laying with a virgin every time they laid with their human mate. Which they were known to fuck and fill up like baloons with their seed. And while some of the mates were happy with the relationship and the sex they claimed was the best sex ever, if your body could handle it. And for them, there was affection and love in the match.

Others though, weren't so happy with the arrangement. And usually they were smaller and petite in body and found the sex painful at worst, uncomfortable at the least. And it was only comfortable to them if they happened to give birth and by a miracle, survive the birth. And once they gave birth to a few kids then it wasn't so bad. But if the match didn't have any natural love or affection- once the human female got "too loose" in their womanhood- their mates soon replaced them with another to get that tight feel around their cocks again. And the loveless matches- their mates could often "accidentally" kill their human mates by being too rough with them. And those mates only shrugged off their deaths before they got another one to replace them without a second thought or care at all for the one they lost. And they would just repeat the process and it was this fate that your parents had always tried to protect you and your sisters from, but now it seems, reality won out.

But Crowthu had been kind. He had looked at you with kindness, and gentleness in his eyes and it was your earnest hope that if he would take you to warm his bed- that the kindness and gentleness would carry over to there. But with having so many sons already. Other than an obedience and respect, a tight virgin pussy and being a good cook- you didn't know what else you could give him. And you feared for how long that kindness and gentleness would last. If it all. Or if you had just been hoping for too much and reading too much in his eyes.

Then there was a knock on the door and judging by the knock, it was Shuzug. He slipped in to see you and your sisters and your mother crying as you all tried to stop crying now that he was in your presence but all of you were failing miserably. Shuzug came over to you, even though he was ten, he was only an inch shorter than you but twice as broad and he was clearly very distraught himself.

"Did I just become a kitchen slave to the Thunder Heard Clan's Clan Chief? Or worse yet, someone new to warm his bed?" You asked pointedly as you tried to wipe your tears away and calm yourself down.

"Thank the gods, no. I won't let that happen. What it is- is his sons want you to be their wife. Even though you're human. Because you cook so well, that's why you learning how to cook horse is so important because that's what they eat. Your bride price is now part of the negotiations, each son is offering two slaves to Khagra in the trade and then offering two slaves to your father to help him recoup his loss of you. Along with their literal weight in pink salt from the mountains which is to be divided between your father and mine. Which they already brought with them. It's like they came just for you. It makes me worried that they know." Shuzug informed you gravely, not wanting you to go either, but he was still two years too young to be considered of marrying age. And therefore- not quite ready to battle for you. Which some of the more highly prized brides were worth fighting over if she had skills and temperament that were desirable. Shuzug was getting upset because of how upset you were because the two of you were good friends, if not the best of friends before you just hugged each other.

"Fuck, I really hope they don't know. I don't want to get beat, I don't want to get abused or raped or molested! But I don't want my family slaughtered if I refuse either. I was hoping to marry someone I actually like- since I'm a Borgan. Plus you know how much I love horses. I don't want to kill them to eat them. What if they grow irritated with me and kill me for not having the stomach or the nerve to kill dinner? I won't make it passed the village limit before they'll be all over me and molesting me! I saw the way they looked at me. They just want to rape me and have me cook for them! That's it! That's all they'll ever want from me! And if they know, then they'll just try to exploit me! There's no way they'll marry me! They're just saying that so as not to offend your dad or my dad. But it's lies! False pretty words. I feel it in my bones. How can they want to be me to be their wife when most of them won't even speak to me?! Most of them wouldn't even greet me back. They don't speak to me because they think I'm unworthy of being spoken to. No one marries someone they can't even respect to speak to for fuck's sake! Your father was supposed to protect me from this." You sobbed into the crux of his neck and shoulder as he squeezed you tight and pet your hair.

Because you were Borgan you possessed the right to your own virginity and could give it to whoever you wanted. And so far you had been blessed to hang onto it until now. What you and Shuzug were referring to- was a secret that you had managed to keep to yourself and the warchief's family. Not even your parents knew the full extent of it. And if word had gotten out, you feared the worst.

"I'll make sure my father knows these worries. I'll see if I can put that in the negotiations. I know you're scared. Hell, I am too! I know you don't want to leave home and I would give anything to keep you here. But my father isn't letting me get a word in edgewise so far. He's not even letting my brothers speak yet. I'll see what I can do." Shuzug offered before he kissed your cheek sweetly, like any little brother would to a beloved sister.

Then he left and spoke in the Black Wolf White Rock clan's native dialect, Kitch, with his mother's native dialect Yowl mixed in. Very stron.cgly and very loudly. His voice practically booming. You could feel his voice practically shake the walls as he talked with his father about your worries. And how you were sobbing in the kitchen because of how terrified you were that you were going to be beaten, molested and raped and abused to death like you had seen so many others- even in their own clan do to other humans who had been servants and slaves. And how he was taking it as a great disrespect and dishonor that his father was going back on his word. On his promise to you and your family about never letting you leave the safety of the Black Wolf White Rock Clan village.

Because you were Borgan. And therefore not under this kind of obligation. And that you or anyone in your family had not done anything wrong to revoke that status. And that he would immediately break off the alliance and start a war if you so much as got a scratch, or a bruise, or a mean word said to you, or if they so much as touched you at all without your happy and freely given consent in the other clan's care. Because of how precious and valuable you were, even for a human. And how he would break tradition and marry you himself and keep you as a first and only wife. And impregnate you that instant to keep you from harm.

To your surprise, his brothers joined in supported Shuzug. And they repeated everything their little brother had said. They even offered that you could choose between any or all of them. And you'd be their first and primary wife forever if it meant you'd stay. And how dare their father go back on his word of Borgan. Your own father however stayed silent but felt vindicated that at least Khagra's sons were speaking his own words and thoughts and feelings.

However all native orc dialects seemed to share similar words and a root language, since most dialects simply had slightly different accents or slightly different emphasis on the different parts of words or the order in which the words were spoken. Crowthu and his sons tried to decipher what Shuzug and his brothers were saying to Khagra. They stayed quiet but listened closely to not just the tone, but the words too. Half of which they recognized. Which was surprising. But the words they did recognize were words to things that were not only offensive but incredibly insulting if Khagra and his sons thought that Crowthu and his sons would dare do those things to you as all of them frowned deeply ad gave each other meaningful looks as they all reached under the table to the various weapons they had concealed on their persons. Because if they needed to fight their way out of here, they were prepared to do so.

They really sensed just how precious you were to the Black Wolf White Rock Clan as a whole. And how close you were to each member of the Clan Chief's family. But before Khagra could answer his sons and explain his own decision- Crowthu interrupted.

He translated the words he knew into the common tongue to confirm that that was what they were all worried about as Shuzug and his brothers confirmed that Crowthu's translation was accurate.

And in a surprising turn of events, to keep things peaceful, Crowthu swore an oath that no harm whatsoever would ever befall you as long as he and his sons drew breath. That you and your family would receive their version of Borgan, which was for them- Marfu. And you would get the great honor of choosing whichever one of his sons that you wanted that you had a natural affection for after they had proved their affection for you if they had any. And that you would not be touched at all until you chose a son to marry and were invited to court each one separately to really get to know each one as well as you wanted to. And not be pushed into the decision and that if you truly did not want to be part of their family and clan, you were free to return home when the clan would get back together in a month's time to properly celebrate the joining of the two clans in an alliance.

And that your father and Khagra would not have to return your bride price, of the slaves and the salt. But that such a price was worth only a month of your time. And that your presence in their clan was blessing enough for them. And that your testimony upon returning, and an inspection- by whoever you wished to be inspected by- to be checked over to make sure you indeed did not sustain a scratch or bruise in their care. And then all that would be proof of their own honor and ability to never break their own oaths and promises. Because they too recognized what a great and wonderful woman you were. And you'd be respected and revered as an equal to themselves in their clan.

It was an unheard of offer and you knew there would be no way you could refuse it. And when Shuzug went into the kitchen to see you wiping the last of your tears away and asked if that was agreeable to you- you nodded your agreement to the offer. So after that- your father and Khagra agreed to it as well and shook on it.

Khagra's sons begrudgingly agreed to it as well. You spent the remainder of the time you had left with your brothers and sisters and mother, hugging and holding each other. You tried to impart every bit of knowledge of food to them and at least you would see each other in a month's time. But it was clear that Crowthu's sons were dead set on you and you knew you would have to juggle them and their advances very carefully.

After breakfast you packed what meager possessions you possessed. Mostly spices, seeds and saplings of fruit trees and berry bushes that grew in your garden. And your parent's new servants- now that the bricks of salt had been unloaded- the cart had been refilled with dirt. Very fine dirt from the compost pile. And your mother and the new servants went into the garden and began to harvest almost everything the garden had and take half of the medicinal herbs and even the regular herbs and planted that into the super rich, fertile soil that was loaded up onto the cart as you realized that the carts that had had the servants and their own meager belongings on were being loaded up with the actual produce from your garden.

You did your best not to appear as terrified or sullen as you felt. And Khagra and his family said their goodbyes imparting even more gifts to you. Which Crowthu's sons took to put onto their horses and their carts that had been holding the slaves.

Part of you suspected you would never see those gifts again. Because you and your possessions now belonged to the Thunder Herd Clan. And your things were not yours personally. Which was why you kept one satchel with all your clothes in. Which you didn't have many. Only three dresses and two undergarments, a nightgown, and a winter cloak and a spring/summer/fall cloak. Along with other meager but important and sentimental possessions you had on you. And the other satchel full of seeds and fruits and things on you as well so that they would stay yours.

Khagra and his wife Bula called you 'daughter' as they said their goodbyes. Bula especially imparting as much advice and wisdom as she could in what little time you had left together- in her mother tongue, Yowl. Which she had taught you from a young age. Her daughters and daughters in law did the same, all of who were also shocked, outraged and saddened to see you go and scared for you. They all called you 'sister', hoping that would impress upon the Thunder Herd Clan, your status with them. That would hopefully carry over. You took turns holding and kissing all the babies and little kids again, giving them instructions to be good while you were gone.

And just as you were walking away from them and turned back to see them all together, trying to keep yourself from crying as you felt like a sacrificial lamb being led to the slaughter for the sake of peace. You had pulled your skirt up through your legs and tucked it into your belt so that your skirt basically became pants so you could ride the horse better because all the carts were full and Crowthu invited you to ride his horse with him which you accepted as you finished saying your goodbyes.

But the feeling of suddenly being grabbed by your waist made you squeak a surprised yelp when Crowthu just grabbed you by your waist from behind you and lifted you onto his horse. Which was so tall that you would have needed a ladder to get onto. A few of his sons snickered a laugh at your yelp.

You gave Shuzug a look that said 'I told you so'. Which got him and his brothers and sisters and their mates and especially their mother to glare at Crowthu as Khagra gave you an apologetic look. Because Crowthu was already breaking his promise by not touching you without your consent. Khagra, Bula, their children and their mates just shook their heads and fought not to cry themselves, because of how much they feared for you too. So they also glared hatefully at Crowthu and his sons and gave him a pointed look.

But at least you weren't being dragged behind the horses, that would have been worse you supposed.

Crowthu mumbled an apology to you for not giving you much of a warning and touching you without your permission as he had you sit in the front of the saddle. Then he mounted his horse and you felt your back hit his front. Which was solid and actually really warm as you were wearing your spring cloak to keep warm on the journey.

You were grateful for him offering considering he was, technically speaking, your new father in law. You were grateful you were riding with him rather than his sons at this point. Because his sons were already sneaking fruits to eat for themselves from the produce your family packed you. And you worried that they would 'sample' you too. Which you kind of assumed would happen at some point. Because no matter what was said in that alliance meeting, you doubted it would prove true. But the more you could put it off, the better.

You kept your hands on the pommel of the saddle, gripping it until your knuckles were white and half expected him to start groping you now too. But he surprised you by keeping his hands to himself and off of you which you felt relieved. Each of his hands was on a rein of his horse instead.

Then Shuzug quickly left and got one of his golden eagles- your personal favorite- Razor- and gave it to you along with a fresh rabbit carcass for it to eat. Shuzug and yourself had trained this eagle and its siblings together. You had stolen them as eggs in their nest in the mountain in the distance. For the sole purpose to hatch it yourselves as a chicken was happy to sit on them for you. And together you both had trained them the way other falconers trained their birds. You had learned that from other clans who had falcons.

You nearly cried when he told it to hop onto his shoulder before he handed you the thick and heavy leather glove. Which you put on and grabbed the rabbit with the same gloved hand before you beckoned Razor to you, using a pretty purr. Then Razor leaped from Shuzug's shoulder to your forearm. Then you let your wrist rest on the pommel to support the heavy bird. While the other hand still held on tightly to the pommel. Razor began to eat the rabbit in between giving Crowthu the most hateful looking glare in between nuzzling your face with its beak affectionately- since it was the nicest and the most affectionate of its siblings and your particular favorite.

When Crowthu had his horse finally started to walk away, you looked back around Crowthu at your family and your home one last time. You tried with all your might and power to commit it to memory.

Then you saw Bula actually hit Khagra repeatedly. And she hit him so hard he recoiled and winced once you were a good distance away. She started cussing him out about how he just made the biggest mistake of his life. And how he wasn't going to get any sex at all until she saw you again and inspected you herself in a month's time. Her daughters and daughters in law agreed to the same oath themselves with their mates. Their husbands, especially Crowthu's sons blanching at the notion. Her sons tried to argue that they were just as against this as their wives were, and how if they were Clan Chief there would be no way in hell you'd be leaving. Which appeased their wives to a degree. But you didn't know if it was enough for their wives to agree to break the promise or not.

You turned back and looked straight ahead as your body got used to riding a draft horse because they were so wide. You anxiously took a small patch of the horse's mane with your free hand and absentmindedly combed through it with your fingers. You noted that the horses mane was also immaculately combed as well.
Then you noticed as you walked out of the village, the villagers came and stared slack jawed at the sight of you- on Crowthu's horse- and clearly leaving. Suddenly they too were glaring at Crowthu and his sons as news spread faster than the horses could walk. Most of the village gathered along the road to see you for themselves. Then you saw some of the other orcs go ahead and grab their weapons and start to approach which worried you that they were going to outright attack them while you were still with the Clan Chief himself.

But when you caught their eye- you had to hold up your free hand in a stopping motion and shake your head no while giving them pleading looks to not actually attack so you could make it out of the village alive. But that didn't stop almost all of them from glaring and calling out threats and curses. Suddenly a rumor sprung up and every guard the clan had gathered at the mouth of the village. They all came and created a wall to halt you and the Thunder Herd Clansmen from actually leaving the village.

"Why are you stopping us?!" Crowthu demanded. He was beyond irritated. Usually all those glares alone would incite himself into war. But he knew he couldn't do that, solely for your safety. But for them to create a wall- was telling his instincts that he was going to fight his way out. But before they could answer him, you piped up.

"Rejoice! An alliance was struck with the Thunder Herd Clan this day. This is Clan Chief Crowthu of the Thunder Herd Clan. And those behind us are his sons. In a month's time I will return with them for the celebratory feast to officially celebrate the alliance." You informed them. You did your best to remain calm and at ease. Because if you actually looked and sounded as terrified as you felt, you would be dragged off this horse and there would be a massacre here at the gate otherwise.

"Why are you leaving though?! Do you not have a knife to your back Borgan Bella? Is that why you can't cry out to us to rescue you?!" They accused.

You could feel the tension mount in the air. Thick enough to cut with an ax and you wanted to burst into tears as you felt like there was a proverbial knife in your back and another at your throat. To your horror- the archers drew and aimed their arrows at Crowthu's head and his son's heads. The Wolf Guard's wolves barked and growled as their owners held onto their collars but with only a single finger as the wolves pulled forward and barred their teeth. The horses started to spook. And you knew if you didn't diffuse this situation, it was going to be a bloodbath.

But instead you couldn't help but burst out laughing! You didn't understand why. But you did, as you felt your own hold onto sanity slip just a tiny bit. You tried to grasp it firmly again. But your laughter did cut through the tension as everyone seemed to pause and stare at you.

"What kind of nonsense is that?! No! There is no knife to my back." You reassured them as your laughter subsided to a chuckle.

"Do not offend my new Clan Chief- by implying he would stoop to such a method. I am leaving with Clan Chief of The Great Thunder Herd Clan. And you will part to let us- and all that is with us- pass unharmed. I will be back in a month when the feast is held to celebrate the alliance. You all will see me then, and celebrate this alliance with me then. They have promised an oath to not harm me at all in all that time. Do not deny them honor by not letting them prove that oath." You warned in a voice way more convincing than you felt. You surprised yourself most of all. You didn't know you had it in you or what got into you. But you supposed it was just your own survival instincts kicking in.

"We will send crows daily. We all know your handwriting. If even so much as one fails to come back, or if there is a bad report, or you are writing them under anyone's supervision, or interference- in any way- we will come for you. If a hand is laid on you in any way- the crows themselves will tell us everything, even if you can not." The lead guardsman swore and you nodded in agreement and they begrudgingly parted for you before you leaned forward as far as you could and gestured to your back.

"See? No knife." You repeated to make sure they all saw that there was no knife with their own eyes. Even though you were sure that even a fool could discern the metaphorical one that was not just at your back but at your throat too.

"I'll see you in a month." You bid them all. You couldn't see Crowthu's expression but you got the feeling he was just as surprised as you were, if not impressed and possibly even proud.

Once past the edge of the village and out of earshot, Crowthu leaned forward to the side of you that didn't have an eagle glaring at him.

"Thank you, for getting us out of there, as well and peacefully as you did. I am amazed and so proud of you." Crowthu thanked you graciously and encouragingly.

"Thank you and you're welcome. Please catch me when I make another leap of faith like that. And don't prove me wrong if you can help it." You murmured back. Your voice returned to the smallness you really felt, betraying just how scared and nervous you were.

If you could have seen Crowthu's pained expression, it showed he realized how you were really feeling. He understood it. But there was nothing he could say to convince you that all his words would ring true, only prove it by his actions as his own sense of protectiveness surged for your sake. He would see to it that you would never know such fear from him or anodyne in his family or his clan for as long as he and his sons drew breath. He was determined to show you the care, respect and dignity you deserved and he would make his own sons jump through as many hoops as they needed to be worthy of you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.4K 2.8K 21
โ”€โ”€โ˜… ห™๐Ÿ“๐‚๐‹๐€๐”๐ƒ๐„ ๐ƒ๐„ ๐€๐‹๐†๐„๐‘ ๐Ž๐๐„๐‹๐ˆ๐€ ๐— ๐…๐„๐Œ! ๐‚๐Ž๐๐‚๐”๐๐ˆ๐๐„! ๐‘๐„๐€๐ƒ๐„๐‘ ๐— ๐•๐€๐‘๐ˆ๐Ž๐”๐’(?) ฬŸ !! โDid the idea of being a pa...
The Exiled Gem By Niva Ramish

Historical Fiction

21.7K 1.6K 96
Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy for the enemy. Because, well, they impr...
265 23 15
For centuries, humans and magical creatures coexisted together harmoniously. However, as time went on, the species started to drift apart. When a hat...
4.2K 197 67
Despite it being well past sunrise, the house was dark. I had woken up with a start, hearing the sound of a car below but now as I lay awake, I was i...