The Shape Shifter BK1: Antylo...

By Pennator

Caleb has lived an ordinary life, for the most part. He has gone to school, made friends and travelled, yet C... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: A Frightening Experience
Chapter 2: Not Fast Enough
Chapter 3: Transformation
Chapter 4: The Dream
Chapter 5: Night Flight
Chapter 6: A Bit of Explaining
Chapter 7: The Start of a Journey
Chapter 8: Unwelcome
Chapter 9: A Friend
Chapter 10: Training
Chapter 11: Poison
Author's note

Chapter 12: Becoming a Hero

185 13 3
By Pennator

A sharp pain laced through Pennator’s head as he fought himself into consciousness.

‘This better not become a regular thing,’ he thought as light finally broke through his eyelids.

‘You’re right about that,’ said Caleb, ‘It’s boring when you’re unconscious.’

Pennator chuckled, then groaned slightly as the pain made itself apparent again. Once he could fully open his eyes he glanced around at his surroundings.

It looked like a tent, a large white tent. There were wooden beams holding up the canvas at the top, and the soft material he was laying on was actually a round bed. He was stretched out at the moment but if he was to sleep he would probably curl up, making the bed ideal.

As far as he could tell, he was the only dragon in the tent, along with an unconscious yellow dragon at the other end. He groaned as he slowly got up from the bed, making sure he didn’t make his head hurt again.

‘The useful thing about being in your head is that I get to see you get all the injuries,’ said Caleb with a laugh, ‘It’s actually quite amusing.’

‘Shut up,’ snarled back Pennator.

When he was able to stand up, he started to walk towards the open entrance of the tent.

‘Maybe we should wait for someone,’ suggested Caleb with a mental shrug.

‘No, Recon might need some help, and I don’t see him anywhere here,’ he said.

‘Why not just ask someone, like the blue dragon over there,’ said Caleb, pointing out the blue dragon that was flying towards the tent.

‘Okay, I’ll ask him,’ said Pennator.

As soon as the dragon landed the he walked up to him, “Hey could you tell me where…?”

The blue dragon cut him off, “What are you doing up? You’re supposed to be in bed. A hit as bad as that doesn’t heal instantly you know.”

Pennator growled slightly, “Well excuse me for healing. Now, can you tell me where Recon is?”

“He’s still fighting, but don’t think you can join in, you’ve still got to heal,” he said.

“I’m perfectly fine!” replied Pennator stretching out his wings, and then groaning as the action made his head hurt.

“See, now get some rest,” he said, “You should be right by tomorrow.”

“No way,” replied Pennator, “I aint staying in there while there’s something that is way more exciting happening out there.”

“Fighting with a head injury is dangerous,” replied the ice dragon with a slight snarl, “Even the most basic dragons know that.”

“Well I’m not basic,” replied the fire dragon in a huff.

The ice dragon narrowed his eyes at Pennator, “Well you still have to heal.”

He mumbled something under his breath, then suddenly came up with an idea, ‘Hey, you think you would put some energy into me.’

‘What?’ asked Caleb confused.

‘Didn’t think you would know,’ sighed Pennator mentally, ‘Can you feel my energy reserves?’

After a few seconds Caleb replied, ‘Yep.’

‘Okay good, now focus your energy into them.’

Caleb did as he was told and Pennator hummed with delight as he felt energy flood into him. The headache instantly went away, and the ice dragon in front of him was looking at him as if he was some strange creature.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

Pennator smiled at him, “Perfectly fine now thank you very much. Now I can get going.”

“Wait, what?” before the ice dragon finished Pennator was already in the air.

“Come back!” yelled the ice dragon before taking after him.

Pennator smiled and increased his speed, knowing the ice dragon wouldn’t be able to catch him. Looking forward he looked for the battle, which was quite obvious.

It was raging at the top of the dragon city. There were hundreds of dragons around the huge mansion like structure at the top of the hill overlooking the city. There were explosions of fire and lightning, as well as huge blasts of earth and ice. The most prominent colour was black, the whole hill was shrouded in darkness. The roars of pain from this could be heard from where he was.

Pennator growled in anger and agitation that he wasn’t in the fight, yet. He started to rise high into the air, far above the battle, and began to fly towards it. As he got closer he realised that most of the coloured dragons were getting pushed towards the ground.

Dark dragons also were mounted on the walls, breathing the dark fire breath into the crowd of dragons below. Pennator noticed a large tower on the wall, with at least a hundred dragons in or around it.

‘It might not work,’ said Caleb.

‘But it just might,’ replied Pennator with a smile.

He looked back to the see the ice dragon desperately trying to catch up with him. Pennator snorted and flew on. When he was above the battle he stopped and hovered, looking down below.

He could see flashes of colour under the cloud of black that spread over the mansion and hill. He took a quick flap with his wings and put himself forward into a horizontal dive towards the dragons below.

He opened his wings slightly, getting him more leverage in the air. No one saw him and he found himself going a lot fast then he would have thought possible. He had never pulled off a completely horizontal dive before.

The tower approached him quicker then he would have thought he was capable of, and he decided to go into phase two of his plan. He opened his mouth and let a barrage of fireballs shoot out towards the base of the tower. They smashed into it with a direct hit, and the base exploded in a huge explosion.

The fire drake quickly pulled up and started flying as quickly back into the air as he could, knowing the higher he was the harder it would be to get him. Once Pennator thought he was high enough he looked back down to see his handy work.

The tower had collapsed backwards into the mansion, destroying an important wall in the process and opening a large whole in the wall. He grinned to himself.

‘Told you it would work,’ he said smugly to Caleb.

The collapsed caused chaos, killing a lot of the dragons that were both within it and around it. The actual place it collapsed actually turned out to be one of the main support beams for the building, and the entire roof of the main hall in the mansion collapsed burring hundreds of dragons inside.

The roars of surprise and anger echoed through the ranks of the dark army. The coloured dragons took advantage of the confusion and pushed back. The air opened again once more as they fight evened out.

Pennator was surprised at the amount of damage he had caused, but was glad all the same. The dark dragons hadn’t necessarily been very welcoming to him, and by the looks of things they had taken over most of Dragon Island.

 ‘Look out,’ warned Caleb, peering through his eyes.

The dragon growled as he saw six darkfire dragons flying up towards him. He blasted a fireball at them, which they dodged relatively easily. One of them retaliated with a dark fireball of their own. Pennator deflected it with his wings before starting to fly away from them.

‘It would be a good idea not take on six dragons at once,’ he thought.

The dragons followed hot in pursuit, and Pennator new that he wouldn’t be able to get rid of them easily, so he decided to try something different. He angled his wings so he started to fly upwards, almost vertically.

The dragons started following him. Pennator groaned and faulted in the air as pain laced through his body. He shook his head and continued flying, starting to swivel in the air, trying to dodge any dark fireballs that came up to shoot him. It slowed his upward decent, making it harder to get away from the dragons.

‘Now would be a good time to try this trick of yours,’ said Caleb, as a fireball shot past them, dark tendrils streaking from the back.

Pennator looked back over his shoulder. The dragons were right on his tail, and one was making an effort to pass him.

‘Okay, let’s see how this works,’ thought the dragon.

He flared his wings, stopping in mid air. Everything seemed to freeze for a second, before Pennator tucked in his wings and dived. He passed the surprised darkness dragons in a blur of red, striking one with his tail as he did so.

After a few seconds they realised what he had done and dived after him. He opened his wings slightly, and rolled to the side just in time to dodge a black fireball.

The air tugged against his wings, begging him to open them into its embrace. As he pieced through the fighting dragons down below, it became all the harder to keep his wings closed as different air currents from all the dragons flying and fighting around him changed.

The now five dark dragons followed him; he assumed the other died from his poison. He knew it was a cruel way to kill a dragon, but he really didn’t know any other way he could at top speed.

A fireball came from his mouth as he made a desperate attempt to hit one of the fighting dark dragons as he flew. He missed by a long shot but managed to hit another some way off.

He gazed forward again and growled, realising that he was rushing towards the now broken building way to fast to stop. A small whole about a metre wide caught his attention and he went for it, but over shot it.

He blasted a fireball at the roof and it was weak enough that another whole part of the roof collapsed as he shot through in a cloud of dust and ash. He spread his wings and the wind gladly caught him, almost ripping his wings of in the process.

Pain pieced the joints of his wings and he growled feeling something rip, but he managed to level out and he flew through one of the windows that were still standing.

The five dragons that had been chasing him crashed through the building after him. One managed to hit the ground with a loud thud and crunching of bones. After going that speed downwards Pennator wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing left of that dragon was a big red splat.

The now four dragons flew through the window Pennator had, destroying any more glass. He snarled and started to fly back up into the air, dodging through the fighting dragons, blasting a few dark dragons with fire.

‘You can’t run from them forever,’ said Caleb.

‘I know but if I could defeat them one by one I might have a chance,’ said Pennator.

‘Why don’t you turn around and face them?’ suggested his human side, ‘You’ve taken on four dragons by yourself before.’

‘Yes, but I took them by surprise and that was on the ground,’ replied Pennator.

“Well take them to the ground.’

‘If I do that they are likely to stay in the air and just keep blasting me with fire.’

‘Yeah, I guess so.’

Pennator swerved through the fighting and back into the open air. The dark dragons broke free soon after and continued the chase. Pennator took a glance back at them, and one opened his mouth and let loose a fireball. He swerved to the side, easily dodging it.

He smirked and looked forward. The dark fireball went forward for a about another thirty metres before turning around and shooting right back at him. Pennator growled in surprise and dodged again.

There was a growl of pain behind him and he looked back to see a dark dragon falling back. He laughed; the dragon had hit himself with his own fireball.

He looked back again, to see a dragon opening his mouth to shoot at him again. He swerved to the right to throw off the dragons aim, but the dragon breathed his breath anyway.

A stream of dark fire shot past Pennator’s wing like a giant black snake. His eyes widened in surprise, he was expecting another fireball. The stream moved towards him and he did a hard flap just getting over it.

The stream continued to follow him as he flew higher and higher. It suddenly moved very fast.. A searing pain crashed into his spine, causing him to flip in the air and begin to plummet towards the ground.

He groaned and felt himself begin to get a little hazy as the wind tried to catch him as he fell, but he didn’t have the energy to open his wings. Something suddenly caught his shoulder, needles digging into him. He growled slightly at the unwelcome pain.

“Pennator sap out of it!” yelled a tiny voice in the distance.

He didn’t listen. All he could feel was the pain through his body.

‘PENNATOR!’ cried a voice in his head.

He blinked awake and flapped his wings hurriedly, growling in pain as he did so. This just awakened him further and he looked around to see his saviour and was surprised to see a dark dragon. He roared in fright and clawed away from him.

“Hey settle down, it’s just me,” said Recon with a smile.

Pennator let loose a breath of relief and looked back to where the dragons had been.

“I took care of them,” replied Recon seeing his look, “Glad to see you’re alright.”

Pennator just laughed and nodded, “Yeah, I hurt though.”

He shrugged, “That happens in battle, now lets get back to fighting, this battle still has a long way to go.”

Pennator nodded his head, looking down to the fighting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, new chapter. It's slightly longer then normal so I hope you enjoyed. Vote and Comment if you did. New chapter out when I can, See Ya!

Pennator^^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 119 7
Cover by @thecatgurl (Y/n) pov~ Growing up in the palace was a blessing in many ways. Such as getting to grow up with my two best friends. On the...
58.4K 2.8K 75
You already know the plot if you have read the original book, but I am not taking it down so people can read it... for those who want to keep going a...
23.4K 427 25
The Diamond Dragon, born every ten centuries, is a powerful creature. Disguised as a common Elemental Dragon, it's almost impossible to tell if they...
607K 18.7K 35
Thor, The God of Thunder was once called by Odin a vain, greedy, cruel boy. Since that day Thor grew up with the help of Jane foster, who he thought...