Distracted √

By RobinVanAuken

When the "Sexiest Man Alive" reneges on his book contract, no-nonsense editor Erin Andersen is sent to rein h... More

Distracted
Distracted: Chapter One
Distracted: Chapter Two
Distracted: Chapter Three
Distracted: Chapter Four
Distracted: Chapter Five
Distracted: Chapter Six
Distracted: Chapter Eight
Distracted: Chapter Nine
Distracted: Chapter Ten
Distracted: Chapter Eleven
Distracted: Chapter Twelve
Distracted: Chapter Thirteen
Distracted: Chapter Fourteen
Distracted: Chapter Fifteen
Distracted: Chapter Sixteen
Distracted: Chapter Seventeen
Distracted: Chapter Eighteen
Distracted: Chapter Nineteen
Distracted: Chapter Twenty
Distracted: Chapter Twenty-One
Distracted: Chapter Twenty-Two
Distracted One-Shot
NEWS: Free Book for Fans!
COVER CONTEST ALERT!
Round 1 Results
COVER CONTEST ROUND 2
Contest Results Round 2

Distracted: Chapter Seven

112K 1.9K 43
By RobinVanAuken

Spence alternated his time between painting in his studio and working on the book with Erin at the kitchen counter. Erin picked up the new slides and a DVD filled with scanned images from Scott Schultz, then imported the data into her laptop.

She felt good about the progress they'd made so far, collaborating several hours a day. When Spence worked in the studio, she caught up on correspondence with former clients, discussed layout possibilities with the publishing house's production department, and relaxed on the beach, reading. This continued for one week, then Spence showed signs of restlessness.

Erin sat at the kitchen counter, her workspace cluttered with printouts, slides and empty coffee cups. "Let's talk about your categories next," she said, focusing on the laptop screen as she divvied the images into separate folders.

Spence scowled. "What categories? What are you talking about?

"You're kidding, right?"

Spence pushed off his stool and refilled his coffee cup. "No. What kind of categories? Categories of what?"

"Your art," she said, impatience creeping into her voice. "You know what I mean. You've got landscapes with no animals, then animals prominent in a natural setting. Next you've got paintings of buildings and places, and then you have people working. You know, the fishermen unloading their boats. The carpenter. The heron in the marsh. All of your paintings seem to fall into these types. I figured you meant to do it. I mean, it's pretty obvious," she said.

"Well, no," he grumbled. "Not really."

She tilted her head, a quizzical look on her face, then turned the laptop so he could see the screen. "I've made four new folders and I've placed all of your paintings into the categories I see. Take a look and let me know what you think."

She sat back on the stool and watched as his face changed from guarded to confused, then to reluctant acceptance. He shrugged, then turned the computer back to Erin. "Looks okay to me."

She blinked. "So, you agree now that your art falls into several categories, right?"

At his slight nod, she continued. "Now that we've segregated them, we need to write new chapters for each new category. We'll incorporate these into the existing outline and ...," she stopped speaking when Spence walked to the sliding glass door and opened it. "I'm sorry, am I keeping you from something?" She found it difficult not to sneer.

Spence didn't answer. Instead, he walked outside and sat in the hammock.

Erin thought about confronting him, but something held her back. He seemed unsettled and she wondered if it had to do with her observations about the paintings. Could he really be that oblivious?

Erin closed the laptop then followed him outside. She went behind the bar and withdrew two icy beers from the small refrigerator. Without asking, she uncapped the bottles and held one out to him. Then she went back to the bar and hopped up, crossing her legs.

Spence rocked, one hand tossed behind his head, the other cradling the beer. He lifted the bottle to his lips, a thoughtful expression on his face. Ten minutes passed before he spoke.

"I didn't know," he said. "Here I thought I was spontaneous or something. I never believed that 'creative genius' crap some people said, but I thought I knew what I was doing."

He took a long pull on the beer, draining the contents. "Guess I'm not all that special, huh? Don't know what I'm doing after all," he said. He dropped the empty bottle to the deck.

Erin sipped her beer. Her knees were tingling from the sun. She didn't want to burn like her first day on the island, so she jumped off the bar and approached the sliding glass door.

"Spence, I'm going inside to take a nap. Don't stay out here all afternoon worrying about something that doesn't even matter. We all do things subconsciously, especially artists. You're intuitive, not premeditated. I get that. Obviously, these themes resonate with you and that's why you stick with them," she said. "I'll set my clock. We'll go out for dinner."

She was offering an olive branch, for what, she didn't know. Somehow, she'd wounded Spence. If something as simple as putting his art into a category distressed him, what would he do if she broke a plate? Ruined his shirt in the washing machine? Wrecked his car? He exasperated her and she felt so tired. Men and their fragile egos. Get over it, she wanted to scream.

Three hours later, Erin awoke refreshed and calm. She found Spence on the deck, still rocking in the hammock. Several more bottles had joined the empty one beside him. Twilight tinged the sky with pinks and purple and she heard the steady sound of waves in the distance.

"Do you need to take a shower before dinner?" she asked, trying to motivate him.

Spence turned to look at her, his face bemused. "I'm sailing south tomorrow."

Erin found it hard to catch her breath. "What? Are you nuts? You can't leave me here and sail off into the sunset."

"Well, you'll have to come with me," he said, rising from the hammock. She followed him into the dark, cool house.

"That's ridiculous. I'm not going anywhere," she said. "We've got to work on your book."

He opened the refrigerator and looked at the contents, his back to her. "We can do that on the boat. You sail?"

"Spence! Get serious," she begged. "We've been doing so well. We need to keep on schedule."

He closed the refrigerator door. "You'll get the hang of it," he said, ignoring her remarks. "Guess I better order some provisions."

Erin lost her appetite. She raised her fists and growled. "Grrr! You drive me crazy," she said through clenched teeth. She grabbed her handbag and car keys. "Feed yourself. I'm out of here."

She stormed from the house, slamming the door. Spence heard the SUV's engine start and the wheels spin in the sand, kicking up shells in her haste to depart.

He pulled his cell phone from his shirt pocket. "Suzy Q? It's Spence," he said when the party answered. "I'm going to need some things for tomorrow morning."

* * *

"Pack light. Shorts, shirts, a bathing suit. Actually, leave your clothes here. Just bring your bikini."

Erin frowned. She'd returned to a quiet, dark house the night before. Instead of looking for Spence, she'd locked her bedroom door and read until two o'clock. She tossed and turned for another hour, then fell into a fitful sleep. He'd knocked on her door after seven, waking her. She stood in the bedroom doorway, dressed in a long T-shirt, her hair a frowsy mess.

"Spence, I'm not going anywhere. We have to work on the book."

"Plenty of time on the way. Come on, let's get your bag packed," he said, stepping into her room. He went to the closet and opened a drawer. She watched as he tossed clothing onto the bed.

"Hey! Get out of there. Stop that!" She smacked at his hand. "I am not going anywhere with you."

But then Erin thought back to her meeting with Patricia and how the book advance paid for the sailboat. No book meant no boat. Maybe that could be the hook to get him motivated. So what if she spent a couple days on a sailboat? In fact, being on a boat meant he couldn't get away and she'd have his complete attention.

"Okay, fine. I'll pack. Where did you put my suitcase?"

He disappeared and came back with a small canvas duffle bag. He tossed it to her and said, "Use this. Takes up less room on the boat."

Erin compared the bag and the mass of clothes on the bed. She raised an eyebrow at Spence.

"You don't need much."

He jumped on the bed and crossed his arms behind his head, watching her wade through the pile of silky underwear.

"Don't you have anything better to do?" she asked, hesitating.

"Better than looking at lady's underwear? Nope. I keep a bag on the boat so I'm always good to go."

She grabbed a handful and stuffed them in the bag. She added shorts and shirts, her toothbrush and toiletries.

"Fine. I'm ready."

"Got your bathing suit?"

"Yes."

"Good girl. Let's go."

He picked up her bag and walked away. She was not accustomed to being impetuous and tried to think of what else she might need. A bathing suit wasn't even on the list.

"Hold on. I need my laptop," she called out. She grabbed her briefcase and followed him. She paused in the living room, then dropped her laptop case on the table.

"Wait. We need to get something straight before we go."

Spence halted, his hand resting on the door knob. "What?"

Erin frowned, her lips pursing. "I suppose I can work on a boat, but I'll have to be able to do some research. And, I have to keep in touch with my office."

"Don't worry. I've got satellite Internet on the boat. We'll be sliding down the coast, so you'll have great reception. I'm sure whatever you need is available on the 'net."

"You have it all worked out, don't you?"

He winked, his face creasing in a good-natured smile. Erin felt a slow flush work up her neck.

Spence pulled into an empty parking place at the marina. "Better leave the keys with the car. Just in case." He lifted the floor mat and dropped the keys.

"Just in case? What do you mean?"

"In case we don't come back."

Erin stared at him, open mouthed.

"I don't mean we'll sink," he assured her. "I mean, maybe we'll keep going. I don't know, maybe we'll wind up in the Mediterranean. Ever been to Monaco?"

"You jest."

"We'll see."

She considered the situation. She was paid to make him work. He could work on a boat, on an island, in a casino for all she cared.

"Let's get this straight, Spence. This is not a holiday. I'm here on assignment, and you have a contract. So long as you agree to work whenever I say, I'll go with you. If not, then I have to go home and tell Mrs. McDowell there's no book."

"Agreed."

He led her down the weathered pier, toward the larger slips where his catamaran, "Fusion," was made fast. Erin squinted at the giant white multihull then at her duffle bag. She could have brought ten suitcases aboard the boat.

"Did this really cost $500,000?"

"Who told you that?" he asked, taking her canvas tote and tossing it into the cockpit.

"Umm. I forget."

"It's a bit more than that," he said, stretching one long, tanned leg to the stepped transom. He turned and held out a hand for her. "Closer to a million."

Erin gasped. "No way!"

Spence smiled and tugged her hand, forcing her to step off the pier and onto the boat. He guided her hand to a lifeline and took her laptop case. "Why don't you get settled in? I've got to do a few things," he said, looking over his shoulder. "Ah, there she is."

Erin followed his eyes and saw a young woman walking towards the boat, pulling a wagon. She had a baby perched on her hip, its blonde hair transparent in the bright sunlight.

"Hey Suzy-Q. Thanks for the grub," he said, shoving the laptop back into Erin's hands and reaching for the baby. The woman smiled and handed Spence the giggling child, its arms outstretched.

Spence swung the baby, clad only in a disposable diaper, in a circle before tossing it in the air. He caught the infant deftly, and then tucked it under his left arm like a football.

Suzy smiled, not at all worried with Spence's mishandling of her baby. She eyed Erin with curiosity, then with amusement, as Spence once again swung the baby, this time upside down holding its ankles.

"Spence! That's not how you treat a baby!" Erin cried in horror. She tossed her laptop onto the cockpit table, then she pulled the giggling baby out of his outstretched hands. She rocked it in her arms. "There, there. Don't cry."

The baby's dancing blue eyes enchanted Erin, and she stroked its curls. She glanced at Suzy, an apology on her lips.

"Don't worry; she loves it," Suzy said. Then, turning her attention to Spence, she pulled a piece of paper out of her back pocket and handed it to him. "Here's the list of the supplies you wanted. I had Henry fill the water tanks and top off your fuel. Run the exhaust fan for a few minutes, though, before starting the engines. Also, the cooler was empty, so I restocked it.

"You've got plenty of soda and beer. Well, maybe not enough beer for you. Also, your mother said if you want your air tanks filled, you're going to have to do it yourself. She's having breakfast with a friend today and isn't opening the shop until this afternoon."

"Nah, that's alright. I'm not diving on this trip. Just a little snorkeling. Were you able to get everything?"

Suzy pulled the wagon to the edge of the pier and started pulling out plastic grocery bags, handing them across the divide to Spence.

"No. We don't have fresh cherries. You'll have to use canned. And you'll have to make do with rib eye instead of porterhouse. Speaking of steak, check your propane. If you need any, ring your bell and I'll have Henry roll out another container."

Spence accepted bag after bag, dropping them into the cockpit.

Erin watched the interplay, bouncing the baby on her hip. She wasn't sure if she should help unload the bags.

Spence made the choice for her. Dropping the last bag, he reached for the baby.

"Come here, Miranda," he said, his arms outstretched.

Erin handed him the baby and turned towards the young mother. "By the way, I'm Erin Andersen. You have a beautiful daughter."

Suzy smiled in return. Erin wondered if she had seen many women with Spence, aggravated that she would now be lumped in the same category as the beautiful actresses and models he dated. On second thought, being mistaken for an actress wasn't so bad, she thought.

"Nice to meet you, Erin. I'm Susan Riger. Have a pleasant voyage and fair winds." She turned to Spence. "Did you file a float plan?"

"Yes, last night. Thanks, Suzy. Tell Mom I'll call her later." He gave Miranda a noisy kiss then blew a loud raspberry on her tummy. The baby squirmed and squealed with delight. Then he handed her to her mother.

"Ewww, she's all slobbery now," Suzy said, using her shirt to wipe off her daughter's tummy. Then she cradled the baby in front of her, waving its tiny hand toward Spence and Erin. "Say 'bye bye.'" Then she walked away, pulling her wagon, her baby cradled on her hip.

Erin watched her retreating back, then turned to Spence. "Thanks for the introduction."

He frowned. "Oh hey, I'm sorry. That's Suzy. She and Henry run the chandlery here at the marina."

"Your manners are appalling," she said, lifting her chin defiantly.

He studied her for a moment before nodding. "You're right. I apologize." He picked up several grocery sacks and handed her one. "Help me stow this food." He paused, then added, "Please."

Erin accepted the bags and followed him into the saloon. She forgot her irritation and turned in a circle, admiring the plush and roomy interior. "My goodness, this is amazing. There's so much space in here."

Spence smiled as he dropped the bags on the galley counter. "Yeah, cats are much more spacious than a single hull sailboat. I'll give you a tour if you stow the groceries."

"Here's the refrigerator," he said. Erin leaned over his arm as he lifted a concealed door.

"Its top loading, so don't put anything you want at the bottom or you won't be able to reach it easily." He dropped the heavy door, then pointed out various drawers. "Here's the pantry. Here's the stove. It's gas, so it cooks quickly. Here's the microwave and the trash compactor, and over here is a drop-down TV for when you're cooking."

"This is more luxurious than my own kitchen," Erin admired, running her hand across the dark faux stone countertop. Everything was color coordinated and the fixtures were brushed nickel. "Of course, my apartment didn't cost me a million, either."

Spence pointed toward the bow. "My stateroom is forward. Your berth is to port." He picked up her canvas tote and walked down three steps into the port hull.

Erin followed. "This is amazing," she marveled. "I can't believe how big it is. You can't tell from outside that there's this much space."

Spence tossed the tote onto a queen-sized island berth. He opened a small door and tilted his head. "Here's a hanging locker, but there's not a lot of room in it. I keep my stuff in drawers."

He tried to pass Erin, but hesitated in the narrow opening. He put a hand on the bulkhead while he moved around her. At the same time, she stepped out of the way. The end result was her head bumping his chin.

"Oof," he said.

"Ouch," she said, the contact making her bite the inside of her mouth. She touched her tongue pulling away bright red fingertips. "Ecch. I'm bleeding."

"Guess it's not as roomy as you thought, huh?" Spence rued.

"Gueff not," she replied, sticking her tongue out and crossing her eyes at it.

Spence put both hands on her shoulders and turned her in a circle until she faced the head. "Go wash off your tongue. I have to start the blower on the engines."

He bounded up the steps and out the cabin door, moving into the cockpit. She stepped into the head and looked in the mirror, wiggling her tongue around. Nothing serious, she surmised.

She spent several minutes in the head, admiring the vanity, noting the clear-glass shower door and puzzling over the marine toilet. She experimented with the handles and plungers, following the brief directions printed on the side of the contraption.

Satisfied that she could flush it, she went back into the narrow passage and walked towards the bow of the massive catamaran.

The entire width of the boat was dedicated to the owner. She caressed the ultra suede couch then admired the desk in the small office area, complete with a laptop and small entertainment system. She pulled out the wooden tray beneath the desk. It was littered with pens, a watch, keys, a rabbit's foot and some loose change. She stepped into his bathroom, spacious compared to the head she was to use. Still, the fixtures were identical and lavish. She opened the roomy shower door and stepped inside, wondering if she should finagle a way to use his instead of hers. She stepped out of the head and walked toward the huge berth, opening doors and drawers as she explored. The beech wood made for a light and airy compartment, its satiny finish glowing in the filtered light.

A blue comforter covered the king-sized island bed, along with soft pillows. Dog-eared paperback novels sat on a shelf and a pair of worn jeans lay on the cabin sole.

The room smelled like Spence, a mixture of sweat, salt, sunshine and coconut. She shivered, then returned to the galley.

As she unpacked groceries she noted the gourmet supplies and wondered if Spence thought she could cook.

"He's got another think coming," she murmured to herself.

In one cabinet, she saw several bottles of wine, along with bottles of whiskey, bourbon, rum, vodka and tequila. He is prepared for a party, she thought.

She admired the efficiency and compactness of the sailboat; everything had a special place and was bright and clean. Even the garbage can had its own cabinet, the plastic bin lined with a trash bag.

Spence walked into the cabin and began turning on small fans and opening hatches, circulating the fresh air. "We're going to motor out and then raise the sails when we get in open water," he said.

Not sure how to respond, she asked, "Do you need any help?"

"I'll let you know when," he said with an indulgent smile. "I've got the lines arranged for single-handed sailing, so it's pretty efficient."

Stepping over to the navigation center, he flipped on the VHF radio and tuned in to Channel 16. He listened for a minute, then turned the volume down and went back into the cockpit. Erin heard a grinding as the twin diesel engines started.

"Erin, can you cast off the bow line?"

"Sure." She came out of the cabin and stepped onto the port hull, marveling at the wide, slip-resistant path. Nervous, she held the lifelines as she made her way forward. She inched past the large trampoline spanning the two hulls near the catamaran's bow. The stretchy mesh fabric served as a lightweight deck, making it possible to go from one hull to the other without having to return to the cockpit. She stifled an urge to bounce on it before she made her way to the pulpit seat. She sat first, then leaned over and lifted the line, tugging on it to pull the boat closer to the pier. She slid the line up and over the pole, then dropped it in a small pile and walked aft. Spence had already released the stern and the spring lines and was sitting at the helm, one hand on the massive wheel and the other on the throttle.

"Ready?" He smiled.

"Aye, aye." She moved to the back of the cockpit and sat on one of the blue seat cushions. A hardtop canopy shaded the back of the boat. She couldn't see his eyes behind his polarized sunglasses.

He slipped the engines into gear and the massive sailboat powered away from the pier.

Erin leaned back, excitement building in the pit of her stomach. She studied Spence as he manipulated the large steering wheel, occasionally looking over his shoulder as he angled the huge catamaran away from the piers. A breeze lifted wavy hair away from his face and flapped his open shirt. He stood, studying the bridge deck, calculating the distance he needed to clear a moored fishing boat.

Overhead, seagulls wheeled, their raucous calls lifting her spirits higher. A sedate, brown pelican, his bill tucked under his wing, raised his head to watch as "Fusion" slipped from the harbor.

After a few minutes, Spence glanced over his shoulder. "You still here?"

"Of course," Erin said, her eyes closed in bliss. She'd sailed before, and a boat was a boat. This was a floating palace.

"You're so quiet; I thought maybe you jumped ship."

"Not a chance. This is wonderful."

"Can you take the wheel?"

Erin shot up. "What? Why?"

"I need to raise the mainsail."

"I thought you said this was single-handed sailing," Erin said, eyeing the wheel with alarm.

"Well, it is once I get the sail up. The sails are all self-furling with electric winches," he said, "but I need to stow some gear and lines. You want to raise it?"

"No. I'll steer. Where are we going?"

"See the compass? Its heading is 125. Just keep it on this course. I'll be right back. Shout if you see any other boats that might cross our course."

She slipped into the seat and rested her hands on the large wheel. The helm was high and wide and fronted by dials and computer screens filled with nautical charts. The stainless steel throttle vibrated slightly. The compass swung in its binnacle. The heading was southeast, she noted. There was little movement, the twin hulls keeping the boat stable.

Erin took a deep breath. She felt a flutter in the pit of her stomach. I am not afraid, she thought. It's like driving a car. A big car.

Spence took off his shirt and tossed it in a corner of the cockpit. He stepped nimbly onto the cabin roof and checked the mast and boom. He pressed a button and the mainsail pulled out of the mast, sliding along the boom. Soon, the large, white sail slapped resounding as it luffed in the wind.

Erin kept her eyes fastened on the compass, trying not to make jerky movements with the wheel.

Spence checked all the sheets, making sure the cam cleats were in working order. He coiled the bow line that Erin had left in a puddle. He pulled the large, cylindrical fenders aboard and stowed them in a cavernous locker in the port hull. Then he checked the windlass and anchor, making sure the rode was secure.

Satisfied with his brief inspection, he returned to the cockpit and opened a cooler. He withdrew two sodas, popped the tabs and handed one to Erin. She thanked him and sipped the cold beverage while keeping one hand on the wheel. Spence, his head tossed back, his Adam's apple bobbing, emptied the can in several gulps then looked around.

"I forgot to put a trash bag out here." He lifted a locker lid and tossed the can inside. "Remind me to clean that out, would you?"

Then he came behind Erin and draped an arm over her shoulder. She flinched at the easy familiarity, and jumped from the seat.

"Okay, she's all yours."

Spence grunted and slid behind the wheel. He picked up the exterior VHF radio, adjusted the volume and clicked the handle.

"Suzy-Q, this is "Fusion. You there?" he spoke into the microphone.

Seconds later, Suzy was on the air.

"Yes, Fusion, I'm here. Switch to Channel 9; over."

"Roger that. Moving to Channel 9." Spence depressed a button and the VHF switched channels. The he clicked the hand-held microphone. "Suzy-Q, Fusion here. How about a radio check? Over."

"Fusion, You're loud and clear. How is she? Over."

"She's beautiful. The boat's not bad either," he joked. "Tell Henry we've got plenty of propane. We're leaving the harbor now and heading for open water. Over."

"Not using the Intracostal Waterway, eh?"

"Nah, we'll make better time sliding down the coastline. The weather forecast is great, so no worries. Can you tell Mom I'll call her later?"

"Will do. Fair winds, Fusion. Suzy out," she replied, signing off.

Checking the navigation system, Spence keyed through the GPS, checking its readout. Then he pressed several buttons on his chart plotter and loaded a map into the autopilot. He reviewed the new chart and calculated the day's passage.

Erin walked into the cabin, not wanting to sit and stare at his broad, muscled back and shoulders. No, that's not right. She did want to stare; she just didn't want him to know it. She had a job to do, and this appeared to be her only option to get it done. "I'm hungry. We missed lunch today. You mind if I find us something to eat?"

"That's a great idea. You can be the chef on this trip."

"Eh, Spence, that's not a good idea. I'll do what I can, but I won't make any promises. I don't even know what capers are for," she said, thinking of the gourmet food they had stowed in the galley cabinets. "I was thinking of a bagel and a cup of coffee."

"Sounds good to me, honey. I'll eat anything."

"Fine. And don't call me honey," she mumbled, stepping into the bright saloon. She pulled a bag of deli fresh bagels from a cabinet.

"Hey! Where's your toaster?"

"Don't have one, babe. Use the oven."

"Oven? You mean the microwave?" she called from inside. "And don't call me babe, either."

"No; use the regular oven."

Erin eyed the propane gas stove and the small oven beneath it mistrustfully, wondering how to light it. She heard a whirl as Spence unfurled the jib. Glancing out the forward port lights, she saw the brilliant blue-and-white sail expand and curve with wind. The catamaran picked up speed and the shore receded. She marveled at the steady motion.

She found a small knife in a drawer and two plates in another cabinet. She sliced the bagels and set them, face up, on the wire rack inside the oven. Then she opened the refrigerator, lifting the large door and leaning inside. She foundered, her feet dangling off of the floor as she scrounged for cream cheese. She knew she had put it inside only twenty minutes earlier.

Spence, hearing her muffled curses, leaned over and looked through the cockpit door. He enjoyed the sight of Erin's bottom wiggling, her bare feet scraping the cabinet doors seeking purchase.

"I told you not to bury anything you wanted," he warned.

"Here it is," she said, standing finally, the cream cheese in her hand. "From now on, that's your job."

As the bagels toasted, she foraged for coffee beans.

"Dang it! Why did I put them in the refrigerator?" she exclaimed, once again diving head-first into the deep locker. "From now on, they stay on the counter," she groused, smoothing back her hair.

She filled the urn with water, experimenting with the foot pump.

"Don't use the foot pump on the right," Spence called out. "That's sea water. Use the one on the left."

She sniffed the water in the urn and crinkled her nose. "Thanks for the warning," she said, pouring it down the drain. She rinsed it several times with fresh water, then filled the coffee machine.

"Don't forget the oven," Spence chimed.

Erin swore again and opened the oven. The bagels had browned and were beginning to singe. She grabbed one and tossed it on the plate, shaking her burning fingers. "Ouch, ouch," she hissed, as she removed the other bagel. She slammed the oven door and turned off the gas.

She overfilled the coffeepot water and it leaked dark liquid on the counter. Frantic, Erin searched for a washcloth, but couldn't find one. She ran outside and grabbed Spence's discarded shirt and mopped up the coffee.

"Is everything alright, babe?"

"Fine. And quit calling me babe!"

She tossed the soggy, stained shirt into the kitchen sink and leaned against the counter. It's not that difficult to make coffee and bagels she thought. Why am I making such a mess of things?

After a deep breath, she scraped the black edges of the bagels then spread them with cream cheese. She found a couple of mugs in an overhead cabinet and filled them with fresh-brewed coffee. She found sugar in the pantry and half-and-half in the now-hated refrigerator. She put the coffee and bagels and a couple of bananas on a tray and carried it outside wearing, she hoped, a serene smile.

"I don't care how you drink your coffee, Spence. You get cream and sugar today."

"Just the way I like it, honey."

------------------------------ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ --------------------------

Hey, what's up? I hope you're enjoying my book. Please don't forget to vote, comment, share! Thank you so much! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Willa By S

Romance

28.2K 2.6K 44
(Book 2) *complete* The first being Alberta. (Willa is not a retelling of Alberta it is quite different with an array of new characters who follow th...
395K 7.7K 22
Rated R "Please, faster," I begged but he didn't oblige. "No, my control, my pace," he said. Then, I felt his lips on mine as he continued easing in...
1.6M 40.1K 55
"You have a choice either choose me or being a mafia" I added hoping that he'll come back with me and if not then I will be the one leaving him this...
71.8K 3.5K 47
***Complete***Book 3 in a series involving the same group of friends** Andrew Miller had a difficult upbringing and as a result his friends are his f...