Unexpected Late Night

By rachel_dulay

{completed} cover by @ mahgadahling Chloe Fisher, The radiant, talented up and coming ballerina preparing fo... More

Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.
Chloe.
Joel.

Joel.

4.5K 84 6
By rachel_dulay

I flash a smile at the camera as I shut my car's trunk "Hey guys, I uh just finished practice and now I'm heading home so let's get going"I smile and spin my keys around as we slide into the car.

I was doing a small documentary for Sportsnet just about like my life and such and the journey that lead me to here. I reverse the car and exit the practice arena "Even thought my parents do live like around Toronto, I had wanted to move out more into the downtown area. That was always the plan and I think that was for the best. I have lived alone with just my wife, she had moved in with me like a few months after we started dating so I was always so lonely" I chuckle and check the roads before I turn.

"I am always on the go wether it's for hockey or like picking up my sisters. That's just what I've always done, hockey and my family. I mean even thought I don't live at home I still like to pick them up once and while"

The camera man was asking me questions behind the camera, "what's your normal day routine?"

"Chloe and I are usually up really early because I think that's just what the two of us are use to. I usually cook breakfast unless she makes like crepes or breakfast burritos then that's on her. I usually go to practice at like nine or so and then we have lunch there and then I come home and nap and play a game. Which today we don't have a game we just had preseason practice"I say. I answer a few more questions just as I entered the apartment garage.

"Chloe isn't working or rehearsing today so you'll get to meet her, come on"I nod as we exit. After riding the elevator, I shove my key into the door and push on it slowly "welcome to the apartment"I smile as I step in. Chestnut was immediately at my feet and I crouch down to pet him "Chestnut is always the first person to greet me"I chuckle "he's chloe and I's dog but he's really Chloe's I've just adopted him"I close the door behind us two and turn to the kitchen to see chloe cooking.

"Hi princess"I smile and kiss her cheek. She smiles back at me "my lovely wife everyone, always seeming to do two things at once"I look between her cooking and her file work "a talented women I'd say"she rolls her eyes.

"So yea this is the kitchen, where most of the time is spent other then the living room. The two of us are usually in here, chloe working or me eating. Our food goes quite quickly, usually because I've got like Liam and Ben around a lot. Chloe hates it but"I shrug. "We try to make homemade meals a lot but because of our busy schedule we tend to pick up a lot of our dinner or lunch"

I push off the counter and kiss Chloe's cheek one last time "Come on, I'll show you guys the living room, it's got a great view of the city"I smile. "Chloe made it more cozier when she moved in but yea"I move towards the table that held the tv "and yea here's one of my first nhl goal pucks" I pick up the glass container it was in "Chloe put it in a glass"I chuckle.

"My parents have one in their house and the other puck is with my grandpa" I say slowly as I place it back down "lots of time is spent here with like family and friends and such"I say. Afterwards we sat down for like a sit down interview.

"Growing up my whole life was hockey, I think the second I could stand my grandpa and dad put on skates and within like a few months I was skating on my own. On most days after school I was with my grandpa who even went out to build like an ice pad, I mean everyone had one of those. I was probably starting on like hockey skills at four. It was intense and I worked my butt off" I tell them.

"I mean everyone in my family was busy but both my parents were always in the stands for games, my sisters did their homework at the arena if they weren't at their own activities so like they've really been there for me and sacrificed a lot actually, they still do"I shrug

"Going into the draft, I think of course everyone was nervous. My hands were just drenched. I honestly would've been happy with any team that picked me but I think growing up in Toronto, going to leaf games my whole life my first and always pick would have been the Toronto Maple leafs. They were the guys that inspired me and I wanted to be one of those guys for someone little"

The camera man asked me about the tattoo on my wrist and I look down at it "It's my grandpa's hand writing, he had to go see his brother so on the day of the draft he couldn't be there. He was usually the one that took me to the leafs games and put into my head at a young age that I could be a leaf and when I was drafted into the leafs the only person I really wanted there was him, with all of the excitement of being drafted my dad got a call he died"I sigh "they say he was watching the draft and knew I was a leaf but on the day that should've been the best day of my life it just wasn't"I shrug again and sigh.

"You've been very open and your wife too about mental health. You've also been helping spread awareness with mental health with Lane Foundation"The cameraman says "what's that like?"

"Lane Foundation is basically run by everyone in my family, like my mom, dad, my older sister and sometimes Chloe. But that's just if I'm busy with my season on my off season it's usually me making all the changes and such. But our mental health awareness is a new thing for the foundation, it's more of just trying to get it into place. We had decided to include it into our foundation when chloe and I got engaged seeing as the two of us had been dealing with mental health issues our whole life"

"You've been open with your attacks, why?" He asks.

"I mean when your a professional hockey player, your private life isn't so much as private you know so i guess it was just better to be honest then lie about something big like that especially if I end up having attacks on the ice, which I do" I shrug and shift in the chair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You know I think it's sweet how your so open about your grandpa" Chloe says as I put a bag of peppers into the cart.

I chuckle "why so?" She shrugs as I lean on the shopping cart and follow her as we shopped.

"I don't know it's just some others have a hard time talking about how their biggest supporters  aren't here anymore" I nod slowly.

"I mean it's hard, and it still is"I say rubbing my left wrist "but you just choice to continue telling the best parts"I shrug again as she puts in some other things into the cart.

"He'd be proud"she flashes a smile at me. I nod.

"It's just what sucks is that he should've been there, the draft, my first game, the three goals. He should've been there. Do you and Steph really have to have the first leaf party?" I ask with a sigh.

"Yes, of course. Plus it's my first time hosting a leaf party as your wife"she smiles and I chuckle and kiss her cheek.

"Well I shouldn't put you down for hosting your first leaf party, I'd just wish you'd be coming to the game"

"Not how those work but we'll be there in spirit"

"I guess that'll have to work" I shrug and follow her to the next aisle.

📍Metro, Toronto
joellane Just your typical Lane grocery outing.
tagged chloelane

alexanderfisher the fact that this was taken before you two filled the cart up makes it better.
luciefisher I'm drowning in work but like uni life.
liamken was this a go pro shot? I'm confused on how you took this pic tbh.
samanthalane trying to come home for the party, gonna be late.
benpatrick so like what did you guys get?
lucygardiner_ I love going to the store with Chloe😂
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next morning chloe and I were up super early because the two of us had a busy day. I had practice and the first game of the season while chloe had an early rehearsal at the ballet, head some work to do and get ready for the game. So really for her, she was busier then me.

"Have a good rehearsal"I say to Chloe as I pour my protein shake into a to go cup. She was just walking into the kitchen with her bags.

"Thanks, have a good practice" she smiles as she stops beside me. I smile and turn my head. We kiss. "And if I don't see you before the game, good luck" she kisses my cheek, I watch her grab her water and snacks.

"Love you!" I call.

"Love you too!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk into the apartment door after our first win of the season, the apartment was quiet so I assumed the party was over but I was shocked to see that Chloe and Kalani cleaning the kitchen "hey?" I smile as I lower my bag, they both turn around and I was pulled into a hug.

"Congratulations!" Chloe greets me, Chestnut jumping on my leg. I laugh.

"Thanks" we kiss quickly before the two of us move towards the kitchen and Kalani and I hug quickly. I crouch down and pet Chestnut.

"How was the party?" I ask, looking around not seeing much damage.

"It was good, everyone left like half an hour ago"Chloe tells me. I nod and stand up.

"You staying Kalani?" I ask.

"I really wish I could but I've got work tomorrow so duty calls"She says, I nod. We say our goodbyes to her and I help Chloe pack the rest of the leftover food.

"You Okay?" I ask chloe, eyeing her as I open the fridge.

She hums "Yea I'm fine"I close the fridge and lean back on it, crossing my arms.

"Chloe?" She avoids eye contact. She soon sighs and braces her arms on the counter "what's wrong?"

"Nothing just my dad called earlier today"

"What did he say?"

"Just the usual, trying to get under my skin because everyone else is under his"She sighs. I push off the fridge and walk towards her, wrapping her into a hug.

I rub her back "how about I run a bath?" She sighs and I kiss the top of her head.

"I'm sorry I didn't want to be the one to ruin your first win of the season"

I pull back from chloe and cup her cheek "Chloe your my wife, I don't care if I won or lost. You will always be my top priority Alright, shouldn't you know that by now?" She rolls her eyes. "Now I'll go run that bath"I kiss her cheek and she blushes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our mornings had always consisted of us laying in bed for way too long letting our laziness get the best of us, until eventually we realized either one of us would be running late. But today, a Sunday. We had no means of anyone where else to go. So staying in bed for half of the morning seemed like the perfect scenario. Sometimes we'd have the tv on, or we'd talk or we'd do both but today just ended up being a talking kind of morning.

"My dad wants to come home" chloe sighs.

"Really?"

"He's retiring and would like to retire and be at home"

"And how does your mom feel about that?"

"She doesn't know"

"Does Alex and Lucie know?"

"Alex knows" I look down at her.

"Yes I know, protecting Lucie even now isn't the best option but I can't help it"I kiss her forehead.

"Even after three years it feels like nothing has changed other then the fact that your my wife"she chuckles.

"Yea I guess some things never die hard"I kiss the top of her head.

"I think we've laid in bed long enough"she pouts and I smile "Come on, I think we could use the day out"

"But I like our bed and I like us in it"I laugh.

"As much as I want to stay in bed, we both know we aren't like that. Come on"I tilt her chin up and kiss her. She hums as I pull away.

"Fine, as long as we get coffee"

"If that was even a statement needed to be said"I roll my eyes and kiss her cheek.

📍 Quantum Coffee, Toronto
joellane coffeeeee with the wifey😊
tagged chloelane

marner_93 and three years later I still cry over the fact that Chloe's last name is Lane😭😭😭
stephlachancee your so sentimental, I worry a lot.
kalanileblanc wOw cute
cassidylane Hi!
luciefisher Cass and I miss you both.
liamken now I know why you didn't answer my text.
benpatrick Joel wins at the Life board game, and in real life.
lucygardiner_ Love you both!!
christina.marleau 😭missing you both dearly!
samanthalane that don't look like a coffee cup, it's way to huge.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43K 999 39
Nova is a recent law school graduate, clinging to her dream of becoming a sports lawyer through an internship with New York City's NHL team, hoping s...
121K 8K 43
When a total stranger knows what eats you, maybe they are your one true love. Even if you don't know it yet. || On Friday the 13th, two twenty-someth...
57.9K 590 42
When a girl moves back to her hometown, Canada, with her best friend and roommate, a special someone falls into her life and life becomes more for th...