Sofia the first and Hugo

By herelan

Plz read I worked very hard on it. More

Chapter One: A Ball
Chapter Two: A Proposal
Chapter Three: A Tragedy
Chapter Five: A Secret
Chapter Six: A Discussed Proposal
Chapter Seven: A Discovery
Chapter Eight: A Tournament
Chapter Nine: A Wedding Begins
Chapter Ten: A Duel & A Visit
Chapter Eleven: A Story & A Change
Chapter Twelve: An Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Four: A Happy Ending

4.2K 87 34
By herelan

Hugo and Sofia landed their flying horses in the woods near where Sir Charles and the other knights were training for the tournament. Hugo fed his horse, Lightning, a carrot. He was a white horse with a dark purple mane, the son of Minimus and Electra. Sofia had their daughter, Mercy, who had a purple coat and a blonde mane. The horses helped them remember the horses they had as children.

"Their right through here," Hugo said and led the princess towards the knights. They were practicing sword fighting. Hugo approached the general and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Ah, Prince Hugo. How may I help you?" the general asked, pleasantly pleased. Sofia smiled. It seemed that Hugo was respected everywhere he went.

"I need to borrow one of your knights. Sir Charles," Hugo told him.

"Of course," the general said and turned back to the knights. "Sir Charles! Prince Hugo needs your assistance!" A tall blond knight with chocolate brown eyes turned around and ran over.

"Your Highness. How can I help you?" Sir Charles asked as he bowed low.

"Princess Sofia would like to take you somewhere. Follow us," Hugo instructed the knight. He led him over to the knights' stable so he could saddle a horse.

"Where are we going, princess?" Sir Charles asked Sofia as he climbed up onto his horse.

"We're going to visit your mother," Sofia said softly as she walked over to the flying horse she was borrowing from Hugo's stables.

"Why?" Sir Charles wondered as Sofia and Hugo climbed up onto their horses.

"She's sick," Sofia whispered as they began to ride down a path leading to Sir Charles' home town. "And she wants to see you before…"

"Before what?" Sir Charles demanded, fear and worry flooding him.

"I'm so sorry," Sofia told him, eyes growing moist. Realization dawned in Sir Charles eyes and he flicked the reigns of his horse, speeding past Hugo and Sofia.

"Let's go!" he yelled over his shoulder.

As the sun fell lower in the sky the three horses and their riders finally arrived at Sir Charles's home town and Bethany's cottage. The horses clopped up the dirt path leading to the one room home. Wild plants grew over the bricks and the roof, untended. A stray cat was sleeping in a tall tree near the door.

Sir Charles leaped down before his horse stopped. He walked up with determined steps and pushed open the squeaky door. Laying on a pile of hay and mats was Bethany. She was skinny and short, with gray hair and extremely wrinkled skin. Dried blood stained her chin from coughing and black diseased swirls ran up her arms. A dumpy brown dress dripped off of her malnourished body and her feet were covered in mud.

At the sound of the door opening Bethany's eyes opened. Bleary blue orbs stared at her son in wonder. Her head raised slightly and a small smile stretched her chapped lips.

"Charles?" her horse unused voice wondered.

"Momma," Sir Charles whispered and nodded. "I'm back." He fell to his knees and wrapped his large arms around her little body. "I'm so sorry. I came as soon as I heard. Are you okay?"

"I am now. I can go home happy," Bethany cried and tears leaked down her dirty face, leaving stains. Sofia smiled and stepped back out the door, leaving them alone. Hugo followed, emotions playing across his face too fast for her to read.

"That was a really nice thing you did," Hugo told her as she sat on tree stump.

"I was just doing my job," Sofia said but she smiled as she looked back through the open door. "But I love this part. The happy ending."

"But she's going to die. How is that a happy ending?" Hugo asked, eyes clouding as he thought. Sofia sighed as she considered how to answer.

"It's a happy ending because even though her life is ending, she is completely at peace. Bethany can die knowing that she's done everything she's needed to do. And Sir Charles is relieved to see his mother before she goes," Sofia explained, turning to look at Hugo again. He was staring at her in wonder and awe.

"How do you know that? How are you so calm about this?" Hugo demanded.

"I guess because I know what it's like. I've lost a lot of people who were close to me."

"Your dad?"

"Yes. But also my Aunt Tilly. She was my mentor. And Mia. She was one of my friends. And Clover's getting old. He's probably going to die soon. But I'm okay. I know I've made the most of the time I had with him, with all of them."

"I don't think I'll ever just accept death the way you do, Sofia," Hugo sighed.

"Everything happens for a reason, Hugo," Sofia told him. Her pale hand reached out and held his strong one. He gave her a small smile.

"How do you know?" Hugo asked. Sofia bit her lip, wondering if she should show him. He was good at keeping secrets and he was a great friend. Sofia's stomach flipped as she noticed his intense gaze. He wanted to know. He wanted answers. And she could provide them. Why should she deny him them?

"Let me show you something," she said and pulled him up. Sofia led Hugo over to their flying horses and leaped on.

"What about Sir Charles?" Hugo asked her.

"He'll be fine. Trust me," Sofia promised him and took off to the sky. Hugo followed her, curious and interested.

Sofia landed the horse on the runway next to Enchancia's stables. Hugo's horse, Lightning, landed right behind her.

"Sofia!" Mercy called as she passed the horses in their stalls. "Did you bring me any apples?"

"Sorry, Mercy, not today," Sofia apologized and petted her horses neck. Hugo raised an eyebrow at her. "Uh, follow me."

She led him to an empty stall at the end of the stable. She walked in pulled on the trough that was connected the side of the stall. A grinding noise sounded and a small four foot high door opened in the back wall of the stall. Hugo leaped back.

"What is that?" he asked her. Sofia laughed.

"This is a secret passage way. There are tons in the castle," she explained and crawled in. A cobweb clung to her hair but Sofia let it stay. She turned around and looked at Hugo who was staring at the hole with a wary look on his face. "Are you coming?"

"I don't think I'll fit," Hugo said, shaking his head.

"Are you afraid?" Sofia giggled.

"No!" Hugo cried a little too quickly. A brown eyebrow rose and the prince colored red. "I'm not the biggest fan of spiders."

"Relax. There aren't that many where we're going," Sofia promised him and gestured him to follow. Hugo muttered something about insane princesses and evil spiders before he crawled in after her.

Sofia led him to a thin wooden staircase and they began to descend. Lower and lower, further underground they went. After a ways the staircase led to a hall which connected to even more halls and tunnels. They turned right and walked down an ornate hall with blue carpet and a green vined gate at the end. As Sofia approached the gate and it swung open. Hugo followed, slowly and warily.

"What is this place?" he wondered. Sofia simply smiled and walked through the gate. It led to platform that stuck into a river of blue water inside a tall stone hall with columns.

"You'll see," Sofia promised. As she stood on the platform something amazing happened. Sofia's pink amulet began to glow blue.

"Uh, is that supposed to happen?" Hugo asked, pointing at the gem. Sofia laughed.

"I forgot to tell you that happened. I just didn't want you to be afraid," Sofia said simply, craning her neck to look down the river. Hugo's eyes widened. A bejeweled boat was floating towards them. It slowed and stopped when it reached the platform it stopped. Sofia stepped down and walked on, turning to look back at the prince out of his element. "Come on."

"Okay," he said warily, walking on after her. They sat next to each other on the bench and the boat started forward. It took them through a dimly lit hall, filled with symbols from other famous princesses. "What are those?"

"The symbols of past story keepers," Sofia said simply as they passed a stand with glass slippers on it.

"Story keepers?" Hugo wondered.

"I'll explain everything in a moment." Sofia promised. Hugo sighed and crossed his arms, growing further annoyed

The boat passed through a large arch way of swirls and floated to a room with strings full of twinkling glass drops. They continued further on till they reached a staircase made of blue swirls and green grass. The boat halted and Sofia stepped out, climbing to the top of the stairs. Hugo followed, amazed.

At the top was a circular swirled gate with a lock in the middle. Sofia rummaged through her purple bag and pulled out an interestingly shaped blue book. She reached up and slipped the book into the lock. The gate exploded with blue light and rolled open. Sofia smiled at the look on Hugo's face. She'd never forget it.

The book floated back into Sofia's hand and they walked in. Inside was an enormous library, filled with books. Green staircases lead up the levels. And, in the middle of it all, was a giant magical blue structure. It had an interesting shape with a top portion that led to a larger part, shaped like Sofia's amulet. Blue swirls surrounded it and held it up. In front of it was a small bench made for two. Sofia walked forward and sat down. Hugo just stared, slack jawed.

"What is this place?" he whispered in awe.

"This is the Secret Library."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 781 22
A Kit Yo request. Heres to seeing if their love story can take off :)
10.7K 725 44
Thanks to Luna, and To another friend. They have helped me get the chapters and we are doing it all again.
31 1 1
me and my friends worked really hard on this, so please no hate.
8.4K 140 15
Please read. Worked really hard.