The Monster Within

By starchild10

Sequel to Turn for the Worst. Even though Emma is now safe, the trauma that she endured will not go away that... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63

Chapter 4

58 3 0
By starchild10

Killian comes home to find Emma asleep on the couch with the TV on. No doubt the baby and the lack of sleep from the past few nights has taken its toll on her body. He turns the TV off and puts the onion rings on the kitchen counter and the milkshake in the fridge. He sits on the other end of the couch and watches his blonde sleeping beauty. Despite how stressed and drained she appeared, Killian still thought she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. How did he become so lucky? Was it fate? Was it meant to be?

He then thinks about how much the two of them had been through in the past few months. Ripped away after barely getting to know each other, sleepless nights worrying about her, at one point being accused of the abduction, being allowed to hear her cry for help, spending weeks in forests looking for her, finding out that she's pregnant with his child and now... where do they go from here?

Killian looks at the bulge under Emma's shirt that slowly grows with each passing day. The tiny life that has endured more than enough stress as it is... He wanted to be a good father for their baby, he wanted to be able to give Emma the life she deserved; his only problem was where to start.

There were so many things they would have to talk about. Where to live? If they ended up living together at all. If that didn't happen, then splitting custody. The baby's name? How to help Henry cope, work around possible visits from Neal. Helping the police investigation. Wondering if Emma should get a new job. Will he have to get a new job as well? What about marriage if at all? And most importantly of all, helping Emma. Clearly, the trauma of her abduction was breaking her and she can't work through it by herself. He wants to be there for her, but he's afraid that the Emma he fell in love with was gone?

He gently reaches over and lightly places his hand on her stomach. He knew inside was his daughter, what kind of world would she be born into?

"I promise that I will do everything in my power to give you the best life possible," he whispers.

He then begins going around the apartment, cleaning things up from the searches, taking out the garbage and simply straightening up to make the place look cleaner. He needed a distraction of some kind.

Eventually, Henry comes home but tells Killian that Regina offered to take him out for dinner. The docks man knew in the back of his mind that she was doing this to give him and Emma some time alone.

Once Henry is picked up, Killian begins cooking some steaks that David and Mary Margret brought over and making a fresh salad to go with the take-out. The smell makes him a little calmer, giving the kitchen a homey feeling and apparently causes Emma to stir from the couch.

"What smells so good?" she asks, standing at the kitchen counter.

"That would be Granny's onion rings and some steaks brought over by your best friend and her husband," he answers. He even managed to set the table.

"I didn't know you could cook," Emma says, sneaking an onion ring from the bag.

"Aye, I'm the only one in the apartment who can, without me, Robin and Will would be living off Ready-Meals and take out."

"You are a man of many talents," she smirks.

"You can go sit down and I'll bring everything over."

Emma is surprised to see the table all set neatly and there's even candles lit. She didn't even remember that she had those. The place looks a little neater too.

"Did you clean up?" Emma asks.

"A little. Got rid of all the search party equipment and any other debris left by your rotating house guests."

"How you guys worked out a system like that I'll never know, but I assume that you at least changed the sheets once and a while," Emma says as Killian sets a plate down in front of her.

He then sits down across from her.

The two eat in silence for a long time, simply focusing on one thing at a time.

"This is really good," Emma says, complimenting the steak.

"Thank you, it takes a lot of practice to cook it just right and get the right amount of spices mixed in."

"I bet you'll be a chef in another life," she smiles.

Killian looks at his beautiful companion and returns the warm gesture. It's nice to see that smile again even if it's fleeting. He then swallows some steak, thinking about how he's going to approach the next issue.

"Uh... Swan..."

"Yes?"

"I...I don't know how to tell you this but uh..."

"What's wrong Killian?"

"I've just been thinking... about your current... behaviour... with the nightmares and the uh... crying..."

"What about it?"

"Well... I'm worried about you Emma."

"You shouldn't be," she insists.

"But I am. Emma," he reaches across the table to grab her hand. "What I've seen from you is not normal. It's a result of what happened to you... What that monster put you through."

Emma looks away, a chill goes up against her spine. She shuts her eyes tightly and lays her head in her hands.

"I know I can't understand what you went through."

"No one can Killian!" Emma sobs.

"But I think it's important you at least talk to someone."

"I'm not going to a shrink Killian, I'm fine!"

"No Love you're not. What happened to you... it can't be brushed aside or ignored. It's not healthy to hide from it or act like everything's okay. It's not good for you or the baby. Regina's recommending a good psychiatrist who can do couples therapy and even help Henry... His name is..."

Emma gets up from the table and goes to her room, shutting the door behind her. Killian wants to go in and comfort her but decides to give her some space. No one wants to go to a psychiatrist, it's basically admitting that something is wrong with them. It's a hard reality to face and he decides to let her have some time.

Inside the bedroom, Emma curls up into a ball and just starts crying. She can't go to a shrink... it basically admits that she's crazy. What happened was horrible, but she doesn't want to relive it in front of a total stranger on a random couch in an unfamiliar office. Not a single person in the world could understand. Not even fancy assholes with doctorates could even comprehend what she went through. The torture, the raping, the strangling, being treated like a piece of meat, the constant threat of death... everything. The thought of never seeing her son again, being chained to the bed, the days stuck in the trunk of the car... Psychiatrists promise that they can "fix you" or cure you, but it's all a lie. Talking about it won't help her, it would just make it worse. Why can't they move on?

She continues to sob increasingly. The haunting memories flash through her mind. The pain she felt, the anger, the hopelessness, the horror. Nothing could save her, she was beyond help. Also, it was not like anyone wanted to help her anyway. Emma has spent most of her life alone and she has trust issues. Everyone whom she'd ever trusted had let her down, starting with her birth parents, the family that adopted her but then sent her back after they had their own child, the foster homes that gave her nothing, August... Neal... Why should she trust anyone, they'd all betrayed her? That is why she built the walls, to protect herself from the pain... but this time, the pain seemed almost too great to be contained in the walls. It was flowing over them and causing her body great anguish. She'd had a hard enough life as it was, so why of all people was she abducted? Was fate that cruel to her? Did God hate her?

Emma stares up at the ceiling for a long time, thinking about how much it hurt, how much that bastard Arthur King haunted her. There were no words to describe it.

Suddenly, she feels the baby kick her abdomen. The little one is pushing almost rhythmically at her insides. Surprisingly, this did not hurt. It was quite gentle and soothing... almost like the baby was comforting her. The little one was probably responding to all of Emma's emotion and stress... Emma wonders, could the baby feel her pain too? She didn't want her daughter to feel her distress and worry, she didn't deserve it.

She thinks about her teenage child, the one who hid his feelings. He didn't deserve what happened to him either, but it wasn't his fault or hers...

She reflects on how her current behaviour is impacting her children and what about... Killian? He was probably suffering too, especially when she was in pain. Clearly, he cared about her if he stayed this entire time, going all over the state to find her. You don't do that if you just like someone...

Additionally, he was unlike anyone she'd ever met before. He trusted her and she trusted him. He told her that he'd go to the ends of the Earth for her and he'd be there for her and the baby. No one does that unless it's out of...

Love. Did Killian love her? It seemed likely, but then again, she loved Neal for so long and he left. She cared about him and put her heart in his hands, only for him to crush it and cause her great pain. She hadn't felt the love of any kind in a while and maybe... what Killian was suggesting for her was out of love. He cared about her and he was concerned about her well-being and the baby's...

She sighs and puts her hand on her stomach. She suddenly notices that her hand is shaking, almost violently. She doesn't quite know why, but it's not normal. Everything that happened to her was not normal but... it wasn't her fault. So why did she have to suffer for someone else's misdeeds?

This is how Arthur controlled, made her feel like nothing and that no one cared about her. He made her feel like an object that could be abused however he wanted. She didn't deserve that, neither does her son or her unborn daughter or... Killian.

Emma wipes her face and goes to the door. She peers out to see Killian cleaning up the dishes from dinner. Most of the people from her past would've just left, given up completely.

Emma walks out and stands at the edge of the kitchen. Killian turns around and looks at Emma. She becomes lost in his bright blue eyes again. She saw genuine concern for her and genuine... love.

"Are you all right?" he asks quietly.

Emma sucks in a deep breath. "Not really... I'm sorry I got upset at you, it's just so hard..."

"I know," he says. He starts to go and hug her but decides to let her come to him instead.

Emma nearly falls into his arms. It felt a little uncomfortable and a few terrible flashbacks race through her mind. She squirms a little bit and Killian loosens his grip on her.

"I just don't think that anyone can really help me..."

"I know..."

"But thinking about Henry, you, our baby... you didn't deserve any of this."

"And neither did you," Killian murmurs.

"I know. I just don't want him to have the last laugh. He made me feel worthless to control me and he hurt me in ways I cannot describe."

"But you're not worthless Love, not by a long shot. You are worth so much to so many people and we worried about you, day and night."

"And I appreciate that... I guess I just need to find a way to move on."

"And we'll be right there with you all the time Love..."

Emma looks up at Killian. She can feel her heart race. How she had missed his handsome face and his embrace. Arthur had ruined that slightly, making her afraid of intimacy, but she wanted him. She wanted to feel safe in his arms again, like those two nights so long ago. She leans in and kisses him. The moment makes her forget all her troubles, all her memories, everything and focus on this moment. She enjoyed the tenderness of his lips and the way he smelled. He kissed her like he meant it like he loved her. She wanted to be normal again, be happy and spend time with him like they used to. It seemed unlikely that she would ever be cured, but she wants to feel secure and content.

Once they break apart, she speaks.

"So, what's this doctor's name?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 798 21
The curse is broken. Families are reunited. But this is Storybrooke, and life here was never going to be easy. What happens when Tasha finds herself...
14.3K 335 32
*SEQUEL TO DAMAGED PAST* Celeste De Luca's worst nightmare i back to haunt her, Will Aaron be able to put his feelings aside to be able to save her...
14.6K 1K 23
Emma Swan(32) moved to Storybrooke with her 14 year twins Henry and Rosie. But there is a creepy house across the street from them. A man lives insid...
24.5K 278 70
Emma Swan's life is as normal as can be until a night out with her friends leads to her abduction by a stranger. Held against her will by a maniac an...