Lions of the Sea

By MonicaPrelooker

1670, Caribbean Sea. She's the daughter of a legendary pirate. He's a Spanish captain. Their countries are at... More

Book Trailers
Quotes & Sneak Peek
Appendix: Maps
Appendix: Weaponry
Appendix: Different Kinds of Ships
Appendix: Sailing Vocabulary
Appendix: Period Vocabulary
Appendix: Battles
Book 1
Chapter I - The End
1
2
3
Chapter II - The Child
4
5
6
7
Chapter III - The Calling of the Deep
8
9
10
11
12
Chapter IV - Wan Claup
13
14
15
16
17
Chapter V - The Heart of the Deep
18
19
20
21
22
Chapter VI - Tales of the Deep
23
24
25
26
27
Chapter VII - Tidings of the Deep
28
29
30
31
32
Chapter VIII - The Lion
33
34
35
36
37
38
Chapter IX - The Phantom
39
40
41
42
43
Chapter X - The Pearl of the Caribbean
44
45
46
47
48
Chapter XI - Shadows in the Deep
49
50
51
52
Chapter XII - Hernan Castillano
53
54
55
56
57
Chapter XIII - Maracaibo
58
59
60
61
62
Chapter XIV - In the Dead of Night
63
64
65
66
67
Chapter XV - The Admiral
68
69
70
71
72

Appendix: Onboard a Tall Ship

538 24 1
By MonicaPrelooker

Now that we've seen what ships are moored around, let's get onboard one and take a closer look, to learn the names of her different parts.

Here's a simple sketch of a 17th-century 28-gun frigate like the ones in this story.

**Larboard: old and now-obsolete name of the left side of the ship. Nowadays they call it port.

More Parts of a Tall Ship

THE SAILS

Every little piece of tarp they hoisted on a sailing ship has its own name. Which is a necessary pain. Picture you're in the middle of the storm, or a battle. You can't go shouting, "Hey, strike the third sail from bottom up on the foremast!" You'd say, "Strike the fore topgallant!" Easier, right?
However, we on comfy dryland don't need to know them all. So I only use the general names.
But here you have them all, just for the kicks.

** The studding sails were auxiliary sails and jibs hoisted between the masts.

** The wings were auxiliary sails hoisted on booms spreading out from the yards. You can see them clearly in this picture:

THE DECKS

The decks were the "floors" of a ship, the roofed levels.

Small ships like pataches and brigantines had only one deck.
Warriors I picture with two decks, like frigates with up to thirty guns.
Frigates with more than thirty guns and galleons had at least three decks.

The bottom deck was the hold, with storages for supplies and magazines for ammunition and gunpowder.

On two-deck ships, the other deck was the main deck, meant for artillery and crew accommodation.

The weather deck was the one in the open, on top of the others.

This picture portrays a three-deck ship. To apply this to the story, just ignore the "berth deck".

CREW ACCOMMODATION

On ships with only two decks --the main deck and the hold-- sailors would hang their hammocks over the cannons. Here you can see a main deck during the day and at night.

On ships with three or more decks, the deck between the main deck and the hold was the berth deck, and was exclusive for crew accommodation. It included small cabins aft --at the stern-- for the officers to share.

Sailors on these ships slept on berths, not hammocks, and had also room for tables and benches.

Hammock vs. berth

Hammocks may not be all that comfortable, but they could be rolled up and kept out of the way. Plus, gravity made them sway to compensate the rocking of the ship.

Berths were more comfy, of course, but they were nailed to the floor. Meaning you couldn't move them, and if the sea got choppy, they would reflect every bob and sway of the ship.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54K 4K 189
1718. Eleanore Smith is a lady's maid dreaming of a simple life. But when a crime sends her running away, she seeks refuge on the nearest ship at the...
165K 11.7K 34
โ€2022 Watty Shortlisterโ€ โ€๐—”๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฏ๐—ถ๐—ฒฬ๐—ป ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—˜๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ปฬƒ๐—ผ๐—นโ€ Much against his will, River Allen can't drag his gaze away from the new s...
101K 3.6K 53
When Hector Barbossa learned he was to have a child, a daughter, everything in him screamed to give her up and give her away, for a pirate's life is...
38K 3K 37
Some fates are worse than death--survival is one of them. In the two hundred years since humanity left the Earth's surface to live in the sky, life...