Cooking With The QB ✔️

By jade_writesalot

"You mean your entire college career depends on me?" Axel laughs, his eyes twinkling. "Maybe..." I grumble... More

O N E ~ "Got yourself into a pickle?"
T W O - "You're an idiot."
T H R E E ~ "Sugarplum? Really?"
F O U R - "Tell me."
F I V E ~ "There she is!"
S I X - "Okay, lets go!"
S E V E N ~ "I want the bathtub."
E I G H T - "I'm so dead."
N I N E ~ "It's a bit of fun."
T E N - "Oh, that's a big deal."
E L E V E N ~ "Dance with me?"
T W E L V E - "Why?"
T H I R T E E N ~ "Only if you join me."
F O U R T E E N - "No chance."
F I F T E E N ~ "And she's back."
S I X T E E N - "You're such a girl."
S E V E N T E E N ~ "You'll love it."
E I G H T E E N - "Not that obsessed."
N I N E T E E N ~ "What's true?"
T W E N T Y - "Go for it."
T W E N T Y O N E ~ "Anytime."
T W E N T Y T W O - "Wait for me."
T W E N T Y T H R E E ~ "Better be."
T W E N T Y FOUR - "Sure, why not?"
T W E N T Y F I V E ~ "I'm listening."
T W E N T Y S I X - "What's wrong?"
T W E N T Y S E V E N ~ "Basically."
T W E N T Y E I G H T - "Let me help you."
T W E N T Y N I N E ~ "I won't"
T H I R T Y - "Okay."
T H I R T Y O N E ~ "We do."
T H I R T Y T W O - "Work for it."
T H I R T Y T H R E E ~ "Can't help it."
T H I R T Y F O U R - "That's her."
T H I R T Y F I V E ~ "Let's go then."
T H I R T Y S E V E N ~ "I'm optimistic."
T H I R T Y E I G H T - "Your idiot, though."
T H I R T Y N I N E ~ "I have a question."
F O R T Y - "Have fun."
F O R T Y O N E ~ "You're a legend."
F O R T Y T W O - "Thank you."
F O R T Y T H R E E ~ "Talk to me."
F O R T Y F O U R - "That's debatable."
E P I L O G U E
B O N U S C H A P T E R 1
B O N U S C H A P T E R 2
N E W B O O K

T H I R T Y S I X - "Yes."

135K 4.5K 824
By jade_writesalot

This chapter is dedicated to @rori218 for voting and commenting! Thank you ;)

••••

After going and getting changed, I come out to see Axel sitting on Drew's bed looking out of place.

The nervous jump of his throat, bouncing leg and wide eyes quickly give away his true emotions to me.

"You finally nervous?" I smirk, amused that I've finally beaten Axel's confidence by simply being alone with him in my dorm room.

"Shut up, I don't want to mess this up." He mutters, running a hand through his hair. But the small smile on his face indicates to me that he's teasing.

"You won't." I shrug, making sure to sound confident, before going and sitting on my bed opposite him.

But I know why he's nervous, I can feel the nerves myself. Finally alone in an enclosed space, it's as though Axel and I don't know how to act around each other.

Trying to diffuse the tension, I put on a confident mask and ask, "What are we watching?"

"I don't know, all Rob's got on his computer is Project Runway." Axel shrugs, shaking his head in amusement.

"That's fine with me, I really want Ari to win." I say out of the blue, which earns a chuckle from Axel.

Axel presses play and reclines back onto Rob's bed. Half way through the first episode, I notice Axel's being unusually quiet - there's no sarcastic remarks or scoffs that usually appear whenever he's watching something that isn't football.

Looking over, his posture seems relaxed. But as soon as I look at his face, I notice his eyes are squinting.

"You can't see the TV, can you?" I ask, confused.

"Huh? No, I just tilted the laptop closer to you so the screen is a bit blurry. It's fine though." He reassures me, trying to wave off my concerns.

"It's not fine, just come and sit here." I say, moving over in my bed so Axel can take a seat beside me.

Okay, the painkillers clearly just took my voice.

Obviously sensing the opening, Axel doesn't question my motives. Standing up to his full six foot two height, he walks over to my bed and sits beside me.

Due to his broad frame, our shoulders touch without even meaning too. The sudden contact seems suffocating to my mind that's just staying above water.

"Thanks." Axel mumbles, his whole posture screaming tense.

He resumes the episode which he previously paused whilst we sit in silence for another ten minutes. Then, almost as if his patience has snapped, Axel lets out an agitated sigh before reaching over and grabbing my hand with his.

Intertwining his fingers with my own and brushing my knuckles with his thumb - the feeling of safety that Axel brings me floods back in like sunlight bursting through the clouds.

"You okay with this?" Axel whispers, turning to look at me. His blue eyes seem dimmer in the light, a sense of brooding being spread over his face by the dull light of my dorm room.

"Yeah, I am." I answer truthfully.

After weeks of patience and proving himself to me, I am genuinely okay with it.

Refocusing our attention to the laptop, we continue watching with my heart melting inside of my chest.

But the painkillers quickly kick in and my eyes begin to droop despite my internal protests.

I faintly aware of my head dropping down to rest against Axel's shoulder. But with my new found comfy position, I don't stand a chance against resisting sleep and so, I fall asleep beside Axel.

For the fist time in over two months.

With our hands still intertwined.

••••

I groan at the light that shines through my curtains, as my mind comes back to the present, my eyes widen in fear after remembering what occurred last night.

Fearfully looking round the room, I'm confused when I don't see Axel there. Also realising that Rob isn't there, I laugh at the thought of all of the dramatic stories he's going to have to tell me when he arrives back.

Groggily standing up, I stretch before starting to walk to the bathroom when a bright orange sticky note catches my eye.

Stuck onto the laptop that Axel and I watched Project Runway on last night, is a sticky note which contains Axel's familiar and recognisabale scrawl. On it it reads:

Morning :)

Did you know you drool?

I stayed until you fell asleep last night and then I left. I locked the door, but I've left them under the mat for you.

From,

Your super hot athlete x

I shake my head in amusement at the way Axel ended the note, annoyed that we've not left the stage of nicknames yet.

Going over and grabbing my phone from my bedside table, I send Axel a text.

Skylar:
I don't drool. Thanks for the keys.

He replies almost instantly.

Axel:
No problem, thank you for last night ;)

Getting ready for dance, I throw on a crop top and a pair of sports leggings before heading out of the door. Making my way to the gym, I know I need some girl time with Brooke to talk the last seventy-two hours out.

••••

"Five, six, seven, eight." Brooke shouts before the music starts on cue.

The beat thrums through my chest as I move my body in time. The joy of dance doesn't escape me when I complete a move, it doesn't escape me when I see the group working together and it certainly doesn't escape me when I remember I'm a leader for these girls.

Adrenaline flows through me as we come to the end of the dance. As the song comes to a close, our team explodes into cheering.

"I can't believe we just did that!"

"That was so cool."

"Well done, guys!"

Girly sequels fill the air, but I'm part of them. This was the first dance practice where we've done the whole routine from start to finish and somehow, it went as planned.

After the rest of the girls head out, Brooke and I stay to pack up the music and have a chat.

"So, I've heard rumors going round about you and Axel." Brooke grins at me, obviously spotting the luminous grin on my face.

"Oh really?" I say, acting dumb. "What do these rumors include?"

"Shut up! You know I want details, spill." Brooke shouts with the grin still on her face.

And so, I tell Broke everything that's occurred. From meeting coach to falling asleep with him beside me, I recount every single minuscule detail.

By the end of it, Brooke looks like she's going to burst with pride.

"Thank god! You're literally glowing right now." She says with a suppressed laugh ringing through her tone.

"Am not." I roll my eyes before my phone begins ringing from the corner of the room.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey, it's me. You at dance?" Axel asks, goosebumps rise on my skin at the mere sound of his deep voice.

"Yeah, we just finished." I answer, unsure of where this conversation is going.

"I'll come and pick you up, then." Axel says before hanging up.

Weird.

But even from the opposite side of the room, I'm pretty sure Brooke can see my smile.

Despite our interruption, Brooke and I pack away and arrange the next meeting, before going down to reception.

And true to his word, Axel's car sits right outside.

Brooke obviously senses this is as her cue as she squeezes my arm before whispering, "I'll see you later. Enjoy that hunk."

"I will." I whisper back, before realising I spoke out loud. A crimson red blush forces its way onto my cheeks as Brooke lets out a laugh that earns us a few weird glances from the people around us.

Walking away, I walk out of the door and into the street - relishing in the cool breeze that cools down my body which was previously burning up from dance.

"Hey, you ready?" Axel asks, stepping out of the car.

Walking round immediately, he opens the passenger side door for me - sending me a soft smile.

Walking on my shaky knees, I smile back. "What is it?" I ask confused.

Climbing into the car, Axel looks down at me and shrugs his shoulders.

"Nothing. Just haven't seen you yet today." He explains as he shuts the door behind me.

Floored by his words, I have a moment to gape to myself before Axel gets back into the car.

"You just wanna go back to the dorm?" He asks, starting the car.

"Yes, please."

The sleek black car lets out a thrum of agreement when Axel starts the car before he begins making his way out of the street.

On the way back to the dorm, Axel and I make small talk. Taking a look out of the window, I realise that a new coffee shop has opened.

Putting it into my very professional and not at all childish list of coffee shops I want to go to, I shut my phone to find Axel glancing at me with a grin on his face.

"What?" I ask, desperately hoping he didn't just spot me writing the name of a coffee shop down.

"Nothing," He smiles.

For the rest of the journey home, we listen to the quiet hum of the radio. Pulling into the parking lot, I open my door.

"I could've done that you know." Axel smiles as he comes and stands against his car.

Leaning against it, with his ankles crossed and his arms by his side with a hint of his tattoos peeking through - he's the image of everything that's haunted my dreams for the past two months.

"Hey, I've got a question," Axel asks, his eyes hopeful.

With an aura of nervousness around him, I'm suddenly fearful about his next question.

I come to stand in front of his before asking, "What is it?"

"Would you go on a date with me?"

My answer comes almost instantly - my heart answering before my mind can even catch up.

"Yes."

But the smile that takes over Axel's face - has my heart and mind finally agreeing on something for once.

Agreeing that I need Axel in my life.

••••
Author's Note:

Progress is being made! What's our thoughts on it?

I have to say, writing the beginning of the chapter was like writing when they first got together - I love it :)

The next chapter will be their date! What do you think is going to happen?

Have a great weekend, guys!

Much love,

Jade x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 238K 61
#3 on Featured list! "I need you to be my wife." he said lifting her chin up, forcing her to look at him. "But, we don't love each other." protes...
4.2M 108K 55
Hoping for no distractions during her senior year of college, Ryan finds herself in a whirlwind romance following a one-night stand with the last per...
1.1M 23.1K 38
Sloan and Ollie are cooking up something steamy in the kitchen, and it's not just the food. ****** MULLIGAN SERIES: BOOK #1 A one-night stand unknowi...
584K 24.5K 106
We're not in love. Our past is a dumpster fire. The best we are is friends with benefits... without the friends' part. Jake Harrison, USC's star quar...