Snapping at Crocs

By write_with_tea

"I am heading down to Australia for a once in a lifetime opportunity... four years, several wedding shoots an... More

Lil author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
A/N : goodbye

Chapter 3

5.5K 78 3
By write_with_tea

We pull up in the jeep to a side entrance of the zoo. It seems like the place where they would transport animals from one zoo to the next. The road leading up here was hidden rather well and there is also a gate for further security.

Billy put the jeep in park and extended his arm out in front of him in a sweeping gesture, presenting the large building before us.

"This, m'lady, is the gorgeous Australia zoo."

I suck in a breathe and try to take in every detail of the exterior walls. Despite this being a closed off and private parking lot, there are still plenty of people bustling around. Not wanting to miss anything, I unbuckle and scramble out of the car. Billy laughs and exits his side as well, walking around the car to stand behind me.

"What do you think?"

I whip around to see him, a wide grin plastered across my face. He smirks in response to my excitement.

"Well," I gasp. "This is absolutely perfect. I am beyond excited, and I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity. I guess... it didn't hit me until now that I get to work here. In this zoo. It's surreal."

We both look at each other in mutual excitement until a sweet sounding voice rings out from behind me.

I spin around once the words "Ah, you must be Ms. L/N." were uttered.

My mouth widened, jaw dropping, as I realized who was before me. None other than Bindi Irwin. My head bobs up and down, as I'm too shocked to try and form words. I knew I would be working for australia zoo, but I didn't know that I would get to meet any members of the Irwin family. Sure, they owned the zoo, but there were other workers here as well, who were less busy and could take the time out of their day to train me.

"My mother told me to come collect you. I'm Bindi Irwin," she adds, smiling widely. I nod. "Great. Well, follow me then and we'll chat on the way."

It took me a second to respond, but I managed to choke out an "Okay," before taking a step towards Bindi, standing next to her.

"Billy, would you please take her bags to the house?"

Billy stood with a skeptic look on his face. "Bring them to... your house?" He jerked his thumb over his shoulder, back up the road that we had come down.

"That's right," she assured him, then turned to address me. "I hope you don't mind. We have a guest bedroom, and considering crocodiles are our whole 'thing', we decided that it would make the most sense to house you and make sure everything is going according to plan."

"That sounds wonderful actually. Now, um, I knew I was photographing crocodiles, but... I'm still confused as to why?"

"Right. On then. My mum knows more details than I do. Besides she was always better at explaining."

We marched forward, entering the zoo through a grey door. I had so many questions, but didn't want to come off as pushy. I held my tongue for the first minute of walking, instead opting to observe the many different animal enclosures, until I just couldn't bear keeping quiet.

"So, Bindi," I broach, trying to sound casual. "You've been working at the zoo for a rather long time now, huh?"

"Oh, I'd definitely say so."

"Well, what's your favorite part about working here?"

"Umm... I absolutely love the animals. And it's fulfilling to know that we are keeping my father's legacy alive."

I hum in response, and an impatient bounce shows up in my steps as we walk. I need to know what I get to do with this job, now.

I envision myself squatting low to the ground, holding a beautiful waterproof camera. A crocodile is but fifteen feet away from me, and its strong jaw is open wide. Before the crocodile has even registered that I am there, I snap 6 pictures, and scurry to find another angle.

The possibility of me adventuring in the wild is beyond exciting. However, before I am too far gone in my daydreaming, Bindi gains my attention again.

"Here we are. This is my mother's office. She will be able to properly guide you through what it is that your job entails. I will send someone up to go over your daily responsibilities leading up to your exhibition in a little while."

I smile and nod, placing a hand on the door knob. Before Bindi can leave though, I turn back around to face her.

"Thank you so much, Bindi. I hope to see you again soon."

She smiles and waves, walking backwards, before turning around fully and disappearing into the sea of enclosures.

I knock on the door, and hear an instant "Come in."

I inhale sharply, pulling open the door to be met face to face with an idol of mine for the past year.

"Hello, I'm Y/N. Y/N L/N."

Terri stands up from her chair and stretches out a hand for me to shake.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. L/N."

"Wonderful to meet you too," I exhale in excitement. I walk forward, slightly faster than usual, and deliver a strong handshake. My father would be proud. He always said handshakes were the first thing any employer - or person in general - would seriously evaluate about you.

"So, I suppose you are just itching to know what exactly I am sending you out to do."

"Oh yes, absolutely. I've heard of an... exhibition?"

Terri Irwin waved her hand towards a seat in front of her desk, and sat down herself.

"Please take a seat and we'll get right into it."

I situate myself in the chair. It was rather comfortable, though I didn't have much mind to examine the seat. There was too much to take in of the room, now that I wasn't in complete shock, to think about a little chair. The long windows looking out over some enclosures. The beautiful color scheme of blue gray and a faint aquamarine really made the space feel open. Welcoming. My eyes landed on the family photos placed all over Ms.Irwin's desk. Her, Bindi, and... Robert. All standing in a line, smiles plastered on their faces. A beautiful family. Wow. Robert really is rather.... No. A job is to be done.

I snap my focus away from the desk, having been enveloped by the image a second too long, and direct my attention back to Terri Irwin.

"So, I will be photographing crocodiles, right?"

"Correct."

"Right, well. I guess first off would be, um, why?"

I cross my legs to look more sophisticated, and also ward off how nervous i feel. Terri smiles, and folds her arms over each other across her desk.

"Crocodile eggs can now legally be harvested in Australia. Is that not terrible?"

"Oh, that is just terrible! Crocodiles are listed as vulnerable. Some even endangered."

"Exactly. So, we're launching a campaign to get the act repealed. And I was thinking, 'do you know what would have a heavier, more convincing impact on people? Evidence.'" She looked absolutely determined, and her leadership alone made me even more honored to be working for Australia Zoo. "You know, proof for people that haven't spent most of their lives researching animals that crocodiles are amazing, but struggling."

"Absolutely, I agree," I empathize. "But... I guess I just don't really get why you need me. Don't get me wrong, I'm honored to be working with you. I'm just wondering, you know, why not... say, Robert?"

"Ah, yes, I guess I see how that can be confusing. You see, we needed backup for this particular event, because we need all eyes on the crocodile. Robert will be helping our team to catch the crocodiles, tagging them and whatnot. Filming them too. We needed another person on the job who could man the cameras at all times. Someone who can snap fast moments and capture them in a camera. That person is you."

I nodded, words failing me at that moment. I was ecstatic. I felt important. And I had such a big opportunity in front of me. But there was still more to be learned.

"Okay. So where are we going? How long will we be gone?"

"Ah, yes. The trip should last about a week. If you need more time, we are prepared for three weeks. But of course, you need training," Terri paused, as if contemplating something. "The first week and a half will get you situated and trained. Then you will take maybe three days to get to know everybody going on the trip better. And then you'll leave. Yes."

She stood up, clearly satisfied with how her plans were laid out. I didn't want to leave just yet, so I stayed sitting in the chair.

"Now that everything is all settled, why don't you get situated? Billy should be back soon," she rearranged papers on her desk, and I grudgingly lifted my weight up off the chair. "Perhaps take a tour of the zoo? We don't have anybody available for a proper private tour, as I have a meeting. I'm sure a tour group would love to help you get situated."

"Oh," I croaked, slightly confused. "Bindi had told me she would send someone up to give me my daily responsibilities?"

"Yes, well. It's your first day."

My hands, which I had subconsciously been fiddling with, suddenly calmed down.

"Don't want to overwhelm you," she confided. "Take some time to yourself. Get used to the time difference. Unpack. Explore. We have more effective workers when our workers are well taken care of."

I shook Ms. Irwin's hand once again, and left through her door. Once outside, I felt so lost. I had no idea where to go, so I returned the way I had come, observing each animal as I went. I would decidedly wait for Billy to come collect me.

A/N

Okay so another early-ish update because it's been a week since the last and also my mother's birthday is tomorrow so I won't be at home and might forget to update. This is the longest one so far so I hope it will hold you off until next update (which I'm not done writing yet oof). Thanks to everybody reading, voting, and commenting on my stories! You guys are so sweet. Also happy February!
Till next time babes

-write_with_tea 💚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 812 46
Two different people. Two different intentions. At last, changed. Faraway in the universe existed a planet called Hesy. The heir to the throne, Litwi...
295K 4.8K 54
ANNOUNCEMENT: My HTTYD series is currently undergoing revisions. If things change while you are reading, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please ha...
459K 24K 130
[COMPLETED ✅] Win Metawin Opas-iamkajorn, a famous Instagram Superstar goes through a break-up. Bright Vachirawit Chivaaree, a famous Thai Model and...
28.1K 343 12
~book 2/2~ when you travel to Africa with your boyfriend's family, the Irwin's, an unwanted guest comes along. Terri hoped the trip would bring every...