Love After the Streets

By _jasthewriter

You can take the man out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the man. Every time we're trying to do bet... More

1.) Welcome Back
2.) Withdrawal
3.) Yearning
4.) Lovers lane
5.)
6.) The Meeting
7.) Enjoy The Ride
8.) Don
9.) Dirty Delta
10.) Almost
12.) Meet Again
13.) Take It Slow
14.) Memory what?
15.) Breathe Again
16.) Best Friend
17.) And so it begins
18.) San man
19.)
20.) Be Love
21.) Letting it out pt.1
22.) Letting it out pt.2
23.) War Pretest
24.) Little detailed
25.)
26.) OGs?
27.) What's tea?
28.) Invites
29.) Special Delivery
30.) Week 1
31.)
32.) Skylar
33.)
34.) Flashback...
35.)
36.)
37.)
38.)
39.)
40.)
Chapter 41.)
Chapter 42.)
Chapter 43.) August...
Chapter 44.) Many years ago
Chapter 45.) August 1993
Chapter 46.) Dive a Little Deeper

11.) Walking Dead?

3K 149 137
By _jasthewriter

AUGUST
June 1st

"Is it me or has my aunt been acting weird?" Sky asked as I scrolled through my laptop ordering more stuff for the club.

"What you mean?"

"I don't know, she's been looking over her shoulder as if she's on the run or something and Bre told me she yelled at her when they were getting yogurt." She said and i shrugged.

"I'm not sure ma, I haven't noticed anything strange." I told her.

"Something's going on with her Aug... I can feel it."

"Well talk to her about it ma." I suggested, nodding she grabbed her phone and walked into the kitchen.

"Auggie?" Bre called skipping into the living room and I chuckled.

"Wassup luh mama?"

What ya doing?" She asked. "Tryna order some stuff for da club, you finished your school work?"

"Mhm, I drew you a picture." She said climbing on the sofa next to me and handed me her notebook.

Opening it, I flipped through the pages.

"Where's sissy?" She asked "In da kitchen on da phone."

"Talking to Trina?"

"Nah, your aunt." I answered and she smiled.

"Who's dis?" I asked pointing at the drawing. "You, sissy, me and buttons!" She chimed, I almost forgot she had that kitten.

Speaking of her, she came walking around the corner.

"You wanna hang it up?" I asked picking Buttons up.

"Yes." She answered taking Buttons from me.

While she played with her I went back to ordering the stuff.

"She said nothing is wrong." Sky announced coming back into the living room and sat next to Bre.

"Told you." I said but she shook her head.

"She's just not telling me, but something is wrong."

"Stop stressing it Sky, if she say she coo then she coo." I told her. "If you say so." She mumbled messing with the bow on Button's collar.

"You drew this?" She asked Bre. "Mhm, you like it?"

"I do, let's hang it up." She told her and Bre hopped down from the couch and Buttons followed suit.

"Still jealous of dat cat I see." I teased noticing the look Sky had. "First she tried to steal you and now she be hogging my sister."

"She's a cat, pets are like dat naturally ma." I told her and she kissed her teeth.

"Nah, she know what she's doing." She replied and I chuckled.

"That's a damn shame ma."

"Don't judge me, judge the cat." She said and I laughed shaking my head.

"Jealous of a cat... that's new."

**

NATE Jr.
same day

"It was him I know it." Mom stressed, she's been telling me how she thinks she saw my pops and I told her that was crazy.

Yeah I wished he was here but we all saw him die.

"You're gonna turn yourself crazy over dis ma, you gotta get some sleep."

"So you don't believe me?" She asked and I just stared at her. "I can tell by the look in your eyes dat you believe it... so if you believe it I do as well." I told her.

"You don't think I actually saw him do you?"

"Mom..." I began then took a deep breath.

"Would you like to go back to see if he's there?" I asked and she laughed. "Poking fun at me just like your uncle, I would've thought you would've believed me." She mumbled getting up and stormed out the living room.

Sighing, I leaned into the cushion and stared at the photo of them.

There was a slim, very slim chance my pops was alive.

He died in our arms for crying out loud.

If he is alive by some weird way then he got some explaining to do for why he never tried to find us.

But like I said dude is gone.

"Nizzy Nate!"

Laughing at the weird nickname Ramel gave me, I slapped hands with him when he plopped down on the sofa.

"How was school lil man?" I asked grabbing his book bag. Gabby walked through the door looking pissed off.

"What'd you do to her?"

"You don't wanna know." He mumbled about to get up and run but Gabby dropped her phone and yanked him by the back of his shirt.

"Aye, chill." I said jumping up and picked Gabby lil ass up before she could go upside his head.

Ramel ran once he was free and Gabby snatched away from me.

"His lil bad ass started a food fight today!"

"Ok... they have like four days left." I replied picking her phone up.

"Well not him, he got into a fight with some lil big headed boy in the midst of things."

"Now his ass is suspended, until they start the new freaking year!"

I just stood there, I mean food fights are like the ultimate shit you HAVE to do before the year is over.

Nobody said an actual fight wouldn't break out.

"Why are you laughing?" She asked shoving me, damn I ain't realize that.

"I'm not ma, just chill he was having fun be easy on him." I told her and she mugged me. "See... this is the sh— whew JESUS!" She screamed storming out the living room just like my mama did.

Shaking my head, I slid her phone in my pocket and walked into the kitchen.

These folks will make you wanna light 3 blunts and pop open some henny.

**

"Still mad huh?" I asked when Gabby walked into the kitchen wearing her pjs.

"Mm." She hummed opening the fridge and I chuckled picking up the old bay seasoning.

"I bet you'll starve." I joked and she cut her eyes me.

"Until you decide to play big brother to Ra don't talk to me."

"Play? You know lil nigga valid, what you want me to say? You ain't say enough?" I asked placing the boneless chicken thighs in the pan.

"I want you to stop being his friend Nate, I feel like I'm parenting him all by myself again because you treat him like a friend with no discipline." She expressed, understanding I nodded.

"Can you cut these onions up for me then? I'll go talk to him now." I told her handing her the knife.

"And what I tell you about being mean to me just because you're in yo feelings? You know I don't play dat." I reminded and she smirked.

"It's a habit, I'm working on it." She replied.

"Mhm, if my mama wasn't here I'd s—you'll what?" Mom asked walking around the corner and Gabby busted out laughing.

"Go upside her head." I lied walking around her then gave Gabby a look.

"Mhm, don't be talking dirty wit lil man in this house." She scolded.

"I'm grown."

"You what?" She asked turning around and I laughed running through the living room.

I swear she was but so big but swore she could beat me.

AUGUST
Late that evening

"I served you breakfast in beddd!" Bre yelled, furrowing my brows, I made a u turn from my room and headed towards hers.

"Priscilla! I served you breakfast in bed!"

"What in da world..." I mumbled pushing her door open some and just stood watching as she walked around her bed.

"I'm up now b—booga!" She fussed making the doll get out the bed and I busted out laughing when I realized what she had on her tv.

"Bre?" I called walking inside her room and she jumped.

"Yes?"

"What you doing watching dat?" I asked pointing to the tv, "I was watching it, I thought she was gonna be downstairs for a while." Sky spoke walking in behind me.

"Uh... shorty, she's about to be six... watching dat should be far from her mind."

"I wasn't letting her watch that Aug.. jeez." She mumbled walking in the room and picked up the remote changing the channel.

Bre looked at me and I chuckled.

"Why you so hostile?" I asked sitting on the side of the bed and picked up her bear.

"I'm not, just annoyed with stuff at the moment."

"Like what?" I asked opening the bag of chips for Bre.

"Can I call Kaykay them?" She asked popping a Cheeto in her mouth.

"You know da numba mama." I answered handing her my phone and she ran out the room.

Chuckling I looked at Sky waiting on her response.

"The health inspector did a pop up today."

"Trina said they were having down time just drinking wine and talking when the guy walked in."

"So what happened?" I asked.

"He gave us a C... told Trina he'll be back in two weeks an expect things to be better." She answered.

"Is it da regular health dude das cool wit us?"

"No, some different guy, Trina said he seemed like one of those black guys that likes to go above and beyond to impress the Caucasians."

Chuckling, I shook my head.

"So he gave y'all a C because they were drinking on their down time?" I asked and she nodded.

"Das bullshit ma, dat nigga knew what he was gonna give y'all before he even stepped foot in there I bet money on it."

"It could be true, but when people look for reviews on our salon they're gonna see that bogus ass score... I don't even know why we need an inspection we know what the hell we're doing." She stressed.

"Just another way for them to pick ma, but I know dat C will turn into an A plus by da time his ass comes back." I told her.

"It's just too much, anyways how are things with the new group?"

"They aight, Don pops in at da club for some ice, dem niggas too lazy to go out and buy some." I replied and she laughed shaking her head.

"What's the point of having all them people if none of them can go and get some ice?"

"They probably figured dat since we spoke a few times it was cool but like I told Nate and Nell I'm finna start charging." I told her.

Laughing, she laid back.

"Who would've thought we'd go from kicking ass and shooting niggas to trying to make money the legal way?" She asked and I chuckled.

"Low key, I miss da luh fast life but I knew from day one I wasn't supposed ta be in it for too long." I admitted.

"We never know, maybe we'll get a chance to shoot some shit later on." She said and I stared at her funny.

"You wanna shoot someone so damn bad." I joked and she laughed.

"It gave me a rush, I miss it."

**

Nola Nights

"Kinda slow tonight... I only made eighty dollars in tips bitch." Courtney stressed as she handed Gabby her bucket of ice back.

"I don't know why yo ass complaining, I only got ten." Liv spoke and Gabby laughed.

Thursday's are always slow for them, the older folks normally come in and just hang out, watch tv and drink bud light and snack on cheddar fries.

"I ain't complaining, I like when we have slow days it gives me time to prepare for the damn weekend." Gabby expressed and they agreed.

"I'm shocked the principle let lil Ra back to school." Court spoke as she wiped her area down.

"Whatever Nate said to him really had him acting like a whole different person. I'm not just glad his ass don't have to wait until September to get signed back in."

"I know yo ass would've been pissed it you had to go through all that stupid mess." Liv commented and Gabby nodded.

"How are things with you and my future in law anyways?" Court asked leaning on the counter and Liv did the same.

"We're good, y'all so nosy." Gabby replied handing her customer their drink.

"You still gonna go head and stay on BC for another year?" Liv question. "Yeah, his ass refuses to use condoms."

"But I thought y'all had an agreement?" Courtney inquired.

"We did, but it's Nate we're talking about. I should've known he would do that though. I ain't ready for no kids and since he won't wrap it up I gotta make sure I'm protected." She told them and they nodded understanding.

"I'm damn proud of our asses." Court said placing her hand on her hip and Liv and Gabby looked at her confused.

"None of our asses are pregnant, like I would think I would've got caught up with a baller or billionaire by now or Liv ass would've went back to her goofy ass ex and let him pop his seed up in her or yo ass would've caved in by now and let Nate put a baby in you but look at us bitches, doing big shit, living life with no kids or crazed men drama."

"I mean I guess when you put it like that it's an accomplishment." Gabby said unsure and Liv laughed.

"Ain't you proud?" Courtney asked and Gabby laughed at the face Liv made.

"Duh bitch, but you ain't had to come for us." Liv replied and Courtney kissed her teeth.

"Bitch I came for myself as well or were you not paying attention?"

"Still trick you sent for us with no invitation." Liv commented and Gabby laughed shaking her head as her 2 friends went back and forth.

August and Nell walked in laughing amongst themselves and Bella hurried up and headed towards the back to clock in.

"That bitch gon get fired fucking around with dem."

"I don't know why her ass thinks they won't see the time she clocks in. Like bitch, they're our bosses, they pay check the computers, she so ditzy." Liv stressed and Gabby and Courtney erupted in laughter.

"TLC." Nell joked greeting the ladies.

"It would've actually been dope if Gabby ass had a name that began with a damn T." Court spoke then rolled her eyes and Gabby laughed flicking her off.

"Call me Thorn, shit or Thunder." She said and August them chuckled.

"Thorn could fit wit you... use it.. street wise." They told her and she furrowed her brows.

"I was joking." She replied handing her customer a tablet to look through the menu.

"Da shit dope though." Liv pressed and Courtney nodded agreeing.

"Ask yo man, see what he thinks." Nell told her before he and August headed towards the back to check on the rest of the crew.

"Thorn..." Gabby mumbled to herself.

"It fits you sis, use it." Courtney assured, nodding Gabby focused on her customer while Liv and Courtney tended to theirs.

Bella ran back out front and laughed at the look Courtney gave her.

"Stop playing wit fire girl, if they were someone else yo ass would be out dat door." She warned her.

"I clocked in five minutes late girl." Bella replied.

"And last night you clocked in fifteen minutes late and never clocked out for your lunch, stop tryna run game on dem because I'd hate to fight you."

"Fight me?" Bella asked catching the customers attention.

"Like I said, they don't gotta do half da shit they do for us and yo ass taking advantage of it. So yes, I will beat you da fuck up if you keep playing wit dem and das on my soul ma." She told her, Gabby and Liv knew she was serious.

The only time they've ever heard Courtney use "ma" or "on my soul" is if she was saying a joke, greeting someone or ready to whoop your ass.

In this case she was ready to whoop ass.

"Girl bye, It ain't dat serious. Damn I don't say nothing when you be in the breakroom haha hee'n wit em or wit da strippers so chill on me." Bella told her and Courtney rose a brow.

"I don't give a damn if yo ass is from Miami, like I said shorty keep playing wit dem and watch what happens. Leave it at dat and tend to yo luh customers ma."

Laughing, Bella waved her off and walked away.

She knew what her hands were like but she also knew what Courtney hands were like.

"First time here and I almost witness a fight." A deep male voice spoke scrolling through the menu.

"We aren't always like this I promise." Liv assured and he chuckled lowly.

"I'm just here to get some food." He replied and Liv stared at him for a moment checking the handsome man out.

"Are you new around here?" She asked sliding him the basket of biscuits but he declined.

"Not really, just searching for some people that I lost." He answered ordering himself some blazin' barbecue wings and curly fries.

Confused by his statement, Liv cut her eyes at Courtney who was ear hustling.

"People you lost?" Liv repeated to be sure she heard correctly.

"Mhm... I was in a coma... well actually I thought I was dead but that's a story for another day." He told her as he looked around the club.

"What da f—." Catching herself, she went to make sure the chef received his order before she went ahead and made his drink.

"How long were you in da coma?" She asked handing him his drink.

Looking down at his watch, he focused his eyes towards the entrance.

"Nine... maybe ten years." He answered looking towards Gabby who was having a slight disagreement with her customer.

"And you still managed to come out looking like this?" Courtney asked letting her presence be known.

"Like I said, that's a story for another day... Courtney." He spoke reading her name tag.

"Oh bitch he fine... kinda look like— Nate." Liv spoke finishing the sentence and he looked between the two women.

"Funny." He mumbled examining his drink.

"What?" They asked confused. "That's my name." He replied and Courtney laughed waving him off.

"It's a small world, everyone damn near has da same name or look and dress da same Playboy." She told him then gave Liv a look.

"Mhm." He hummed, Gabby strolled over waving the 100 dollar tip she just made not noticing the guy sitting there.

"I just got this for arguing with ole grumpy over there." She boasted waving the bill then took a glance at the stranger.

Doing a double take, she tilted her head and squinted.

Confused, Liv and Courtney stared at her and she laughed to herself shaking her head.

"I must've had something in my drink." Gabby mumbled rubbing her eyes, Liv handed the guy his food but kept her eyes on a weird acting Gabby.

"Bitch what is wrong with you?" They asked and she walked closer some.

"N...Nate? Nate Senior?"
*
*
*

🙂

Could it be?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250K 7.8K 55
"π‘Ύπ’Šπ’•π’‰ π’šπ’π’–, 𝑰 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍 𝒂𝒕 𝒑𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒆." "That's the problem, he too fine to be acting like a bitch" "I'm a bitch huh?" He said out of no wher...
113K 2.8K 41
Do you ever wonder what life would be like if it were a movie? Or some sappy romance novel that you wish your life could be like but it's not? Someti...
18.4K 1.3K 24
"Where the hustle brings the dollar." In a city full of money, sex, and drugs..you will get swallowed whole. In Amir Brooks and Asshir Robinson's per...
52.6M 2.2M 200
"I was broken. Nothing, no one could fix me. Until you came into my life again. I wish I had gone with you that day instead of him. Because, now I ca...