The Wall Lake Mystery

By cjnwriter

The theft of a diamond necklace and sudden death of a young law officer take Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson t... More

Chapter 1: The Game's Afoot in America
Chapter 2: A Frigid Welcome
Chapter 3: Mrs. Blomberg
Chapter 4: Young Mr. Anderson
Chapter 5: A Scrap of Cloth
Chapter 6: Observation and Deduction
Chapter 7: Stolen Starch
Chapter 8: Local Gossip
Chapter 9: Our Shadow
Chapter 10: Silas Albright
Chapter 11: Another Death in Wall Lake
Chapter 12: The Inventor
Chapter 13: The Kelly Family
Chapter 14: Investigation Continued
Chapter 15: Miss Hallstrom
Chapter 16: A Bit of Baritsu
Chapter 17: The Dead Man's Rooms
Chapter 18: Something Burning
Chapter 19: The Post Office Woman
Chapter 20: Guns and Gossip
Chapter 21: Miss Hallstrom's Secret
Chapter 22: The Threads Come Together
Chapter 23: Closing In
Chapter 24: Two Gunshots
Chapter 25: Two Patients
Chapter 26: Hidden Missives
Chapter 27: The Post Office Again
Chapter 28: The Break-In
Chapter 29: Miss Amanda Meyer
Chapter 30: The Blizzard
Chapter 31: B.B.
Chapter 32: Just Mad Enough
Chapter 33: A Matter of Trust
Chapter 34: The Tavern
Chapter 35: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Chapter 36: Under Arrest
Chapter 38: Searching High and Low
Chapter 39: A Long-Awaited Discovery
Chapter 40: Lying in Wait
Chapter 41: Chasing Down a Train
Chapter 42: Our Final Chance
Chapter 43: Behind Bars At Last
Chapter 44: A Quiet Moment
Chapter 45: Denouement
Chapter 46: Epilogue
Historical Notes

Chapter 37: A Favour Returned

53 5 0
By cjnwriter

Holmes shivered again, and I looked around the miserable little cell with its rough stone walls, tiny cot, and chamber pot in the corner. I unbuttoned my overcoat.

"What the deuce are you doing?" asked Holmes

"This place probably gets frigid at night, and I shall have enough to keep me busy without dealing with an ill Sherlock Holmes. Besides, I have another overcoat at the inn."

"It is far lighter than this one, is it not?" he asked. "I would rather you not catch cold yourself."

"It's warm enough," I replied and handed my coat through the bars. "Here. I'm not taking 'no' for an answer."

Holmes sighed, took the coat, and cracked a rueful smile. "Oh, Watson," said he. "You may not have all the qualities of a detective, but as a friend, I must confess your merits are unparalleled."

If any words I might have said had not fled my mind, they would have stuck in my throat.

"Take care," I said at length. "I shall return as soon as I have the money."

"Very well," replied Holmes.

I thanked Sheriff Sweet and so-called Marshall Pat Crowe for their courtesy and took my leave.

I walked briskly to the station, for the next train to Wall Lake would depart in ten or fifteen minutes. I began a mental list of people from whom I might ask to borrow. There was Lawler, the Kelly's (though they appeared to have little enough to spare), Fr. Albright, and I could ask that the Blombergs reimburse Holmes and my travel and living expenses thus far. Anderson and the Hieman family might have a few dollars to spare, if I could assure them that Holmes would be able to prove Hugh's total innocence and his murder and return the money within a week or two. I wondered, though, how well-respected Holmes would be after this. For those who were at all suspicious of him, this was proof that he was no good. Others might doubt now as well. I could not help but think that must have been Crowe's intention, or at least part of it.

I reached the station and purchased a ticket. The train had pulled into the station moments before, and I climbed on board. Upon whom could I count to be willing to help Holmes? We had not yet helped the Blombergs much tangibly and only Anderson and the Hieman family partially (we had one of the killers behind bars, but not his conspirator). The train chugged out of the station and began to gather speed as I stared glumly out of the window. Who on earth had we managed to assist so far on this case?

The answer struck me like a wagon load of bricks: we had helped Miss Hallstrom.

I leaped from my seat and yanked on the nearest emergency stop rope. The train screeched to a halt and a porter dashed into the car.

"Sir, what on earth are you doing?" he blustered.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but I need off this train," I replied, pushing past him and heading for the door.

"But sir—"

"A man's life hangs in the balance," I replied. Well, at the very least a man's livelihood did, so it was not exactly a fabrication. "Do not wait for me."

The porter stuttered something I did not quite catch, but I was already shoving the door open and dropping into the edge of a snowy field. I marched back toward Sac City as quickly as I could without filling my boots with snow.

It was far too cold to be out without an overcoat, but if things went well with Miss Hallstrom, I would be returning to Wall Lake with Holmes within an hour or two. I walked swiftly back to the station and from there to the Hallstrom home.

The parents were absent, for which I was grateful, so the maid brought me directly to Miss Hallstrom. She invited me to sit, but appeared confused and concerned.

"I must confess I am surprised to see you, and without Holmes," she said.

I nodded. "I am afraid Holmes finds himself in an awkward position and as we were able to help you out of a tight spot recently, I thought you might be willing to assist me."

"What sort of situation?" she asked. "I will do what I can, but it may not be much."

I told her in as little detail as I could justify of Holmes' decision to break into the Brogden shop and subsequent framing, though I did not say by whom, and finally the amount of the bail: seven hundred dollars.

"Holmes and I have only half that amount, but I am certain we shall be able to prove him innocent within the week and reimburse you anything you might lend. I am truly embarrassed about this whole fiasco, but I cannot act in the aid of my friend or in the pursuit of justice without right now begging for money."

The poor girl looked shocked and a little alarmed.

"Forgive me," I said. "I fear I ask too much of you."

She shook her head. "It's not that. I was recently accepted to the Normal School for their schoolteacher program this autumn and several friends and family members have gifted me money to pay my way. Between that and the money you and Mr. Holmes helped me regain, I've got over seven hundred locked in my room as we speak."

"Good heavens!" I replied. "I could not ask so much of you, even for a couple days."

"I insist," she replied. "The peace of mind you and Holmes gave me is worth more than money, and besides, it's for the pursuit of justice, as you said. Give me a moment and I shall fetch it." She sped from the room before I could object.

I sat dumbfounded. We were lucky indeed to have helped such a generous young woman.

"Here you are," said she when she returned. She laid out her pile of bills on a nearby ottoman, and they did indeed total seven hundred. She looked to me. "You know, I don't think I would have confided in Mr. Holmes were it not for your kindness."

"Sometimes I think it is my only use in his investigations," I replied.

"I'm certain that's not entirely true," she said, and began gathering up the bills. "Let us agree to say nothing to my parents. I know this is hardly proper, but at this point, propriety be damned and good luck proving Mr. Holmes innocent."

She handed me the money and I carefully placed the notes in my pocket book.

"I can never thank you enough," I began.

"Nor I you and your friend," she replied with a smile. "I believe that makes us even."

I tucked my pocketbook into a jacket pocket. "I will ensure every penny of this is returned to you."

"Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help," she replied.

"You've already done more than I could ask of anyone." She smiled again and I shook her hand.

————

I could hardly keep a spring out of my step as I returned to the jail. Halfway there, I realised that if I returned right away, it would narrow the field of suspected donors greatly. To shield Miss Hallstrom from scrutiny (and to fetch my overcoat), I went briefly to Wall Lake, exchanged some of the larger bills for several smaller ones, and returned on the next train.

Reagan—or Crowe, rather—was out, for which I was grateful, and the Sheriff's bushy eyebrows disappeared under the brim of his hat when I counted out seven hundred dollars on his desk.

"Well, I'll be," said Sheriff Sweet. "How'd you raise this sum so quickly?"

"Begging and borrowing," I replied. "It was more effective than I expected."

"I'd say so!" said the Sheriff. "And between you and me only, I think this says something about you and him both."

"Oh?" I thought I took his meaning, though I did not know what to say to it.

"You gave him the coat off your back and apparently skipped lunch to collect the money needed to get him out. Habitual criminals don't usually have friends like that. 'Course, Holmes isn't off the hook by any means; it's just something I'll be thinking on."

I nodded.

"Well," said the Sheriff, "I'm an honest man, so I suppose I better get your friend out." He stepped into the back room and returned a minute later with Holmes in tow, who did not seem to be worse for the wear, though his pride had undoubtedly suffered.

"Ah, Watson," he said with a flash of a smile. "It is good to see you. Sheriff Sweet, good day to you." He shook the lawman's hand.

Sheriff Sweet smiled. "Likewise to you, and good luck in your investigation."

We walked two or three blocks before Holmes spoke.

"We may be thankful indeed to have the respect of Sheriff Sweet before all this is over."

I nodded. "I suspect you are right."

Holmes frowned. "How on earth did you collect so much in a few short hours?"

"I called in a favour from Miss Hallstrom," I replied. "She gave me all seven hundred."

Holmes whistled. "Generous indeed."

"I did promise we would have it back to her in a week or two at most," I said, with a little apprehension.

"A promise we shall honour," Holmes replied. "But you undersell your role in this. Were it not for you, I would still be in that dank cell listening to the taunts and ravings of a murderer. I must thank you."

"You are welcome, as always," I replied.

We walked in silence for a block before Holmes spoke again.

"I also must...apologise for my behaviour towards you these past days, though apologising is...not my forte. I am sorry, my dear fellow."

"All is forgiven and forgotten," I replied with a smile.

Holmes' shoulders relaxed visibly. "All I have to say for myself is that I wished to keep you out of trouble."

"You might have simply said as much to me," I replied.

He nodded. "It was unprofessional at best and will not happen again."

We soon reached the station and sat upon a bench, waiting for the next train. We sat in silence a long moment, then I gave voice to a question which had been preying upon my mind since early that morning.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

I looked to Holmes, who sat with his chin sunk upon his chest, brows furrowed.

"I have been pondering that very question," said he. "I am beginning to think our best course of action is to do what Crowe wants and look for the last of the Blomberg jewellery. If we set a trap with the diamond necklace and company as bait, he is sure to come."

"First, we must find them," I replied. "Where do we begin?"

"That is the subject of my thoughts at present," he replied. "I shall—or one of us, rather—shall think of something."

I nodded, and we were lost in thought for the following minutes until the train arrived.

"Have you any ideas?" asked Holmes once we were on board the train.

I seated myself next to him. "It seems to me that either Hieman put them somewhere for safekeeping and no one has seen them since, or Crowe has already found them and is hoping to have them cut before taking to his heels."

"I suspect the former," Holmes replied.

"As do I," I agreed. "We shall have to return to the Hieman household and scour every inch of the place."

"And hope they can remember anything which may have been moved from their house or given away in which Hugh may have stored them."

I frowned. "The more I think about it, finding them seems a bit of a long shot."

"And yet," Holmes replied, "it is our surest hope."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88 0 10
John and Sherlock are continuing their crime solving life but the return of Moriarty looms over them and when a case doesn't add up and their loved o...
423K 15.7K 51
*As featured on the official Sherlock reading list* The daughter of a wealthy Australian diplomat, Celestia Firethorne has fled to London to avoid h...
437K 17K 20
Sherlock Holmes x Reader "Sentiment is a chemical defect found on the losing side." The mere thought of it would almost make him cringe. Almost. "Th...
3.9K 166 9
The world's only consulting detective, an ex-army doctor, an art therapist, and an American who loves music. These sound like four very different peo...