Wolf at Heart

By Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... More

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid
Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Six: Bandages
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Sixteen: Training

33 6 10
By Whisper486

He was here.

Had an hour passed yet?

Nevertheless, I stood to open the door, slipping on my jacket and satchel. My hand rested on the doorknob, and I paused.

Taking a deep breath, I turned the handle, pushing the door open.

The boy who stood in the door was not what I expected, to say the least.

Messy dark brown hair that almost bordered on black fell over his eyes. His skin tone was the complete opposite of mine, rich and warm. He held himself confidently, no anxiety in his face whatsoever. And his eyes. His eyes were what surprised me the most. Dark shades of mahogany colored his two-toned eyes. One brown, one tan.

Reaching out a gloved hand, he greeted me with a quirk of his mouth. "Hey. I'm Carter. I'm assuming you're the new trainee?"

A witty reply shot out of my mouth before I could stop it. "I'm assuming you're the old apprentice?"

Carter looked stunned for a moment and I mentally slapped myself.

"Sorry, that was uncalled for," I said hastily, cursing me and my stupid mouth.

Then, to my relief, Carter only laughed.

He pointed at me, a sly grin on his face. "Good one. I have a feeling we're going to get along just fine. And you are?"

Calmly replying to cover my slip up, I tried for a small smile. "I'm Melody."

Carter rubbed his hands together. "Well then Melody, how about we get started on our tour?"

"Might as well, that's what you're here for, right?"

"Correct once again."

My fellow stable hand guided me around the large but manageable building.

While on tour, I asked various questions that I hoped didn't bother him too much.

"How many Delphai do you care for?"

Carter mulled over it. "We each care for roughly five as of now. Soon the old headmaster's going to leave, so you'll step in. Then again, the Delphai choose you, not the other way around. We'll see."

That answer left me more nervous than ever. What if the Delphai don't accept me? What will happen to me then?

He must've seen the anxiety on my face because Carter was quick to reassure me. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure they'll be fine with you. You'll be a great stable hand, trust me."

Looking up at him, I tried for a smile.

Things might be looking up after all.

Once the tour was over and Carter had left after chatting for a bit, I sighed. Only a couple hours with him and he was like a brother already.

My stomach grumbled, which reminded me of dinner. Lunch had already passed, spent with the instructors before moving out of our old rooms.

I was about to head out when I noticed something.

Carter had left his cap in my room. He'd taken it off earlier and must've forgotten it.

Why was everyone always forgetting their stuff around me?

No biggie, I'd see him at dinner.

Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I headed out. I hadn't seen the others all day, so I was looking forward to meeting with them again.

As soon as I shoved the door leading outside open, a gust of wind knocked into me. The wind howled, and I knew getting to the dining hall wasn't going to be easy.

I shifted into my second form, squinting my eyes. Even with my sharpened vision, the path wasn't clear. The wind had completely obliterated all the scent trails and pathways previously present.

Resolving to attempt using my memory of the layabouts, I forged ahead.

Not my best idea.

Before getting even halfway there, a freak gust of wind and ice swept me off my feet. Tumbling to a stop, I got up, shaking the snow off from my pelt.

"You're not going to get anywhere that way."

Turning, I caught sight of Carter in his second form too. His trademark grin playing on his face, he chuckled.

Haughtily facing him I asked defensively, "Then how do I get to the dining hall?"

He pretended to consider it for a moment, trying to hide his amusement. "Well, for starters, the hall's that way."

Following his gaze, I found I was going the opposite direction of where it was.

"Oh."

"Oh yeah. Now shall we get on to the hall? Or would you rather keep going the way you were?"

"I think I'll come with you."

"Smart choice."

Finding our way -- finally -- to the dining hall, Carter and I brushed the snow off each other. Shifting back to humans, we stood near the doorway to the warm hall.

"You've still got some in your hair, let me get that," Carter said, and I felt his gloved hands sweeping it off.

"Thanks, for that and getting me here in one piece," I told him, a shy smile making its way to my face.

Carter waved it aside. "No problem."

Remembering his cap, I pulled it out of my satchel, handing it to him "You forgot this in my room."

Surprised, then respectful, Carter took the cap, securing it over his head. "Thanks. Consider that payment for helping you through that storm."

In the silence that followed, I awkwardly shifted from one foot to the other. Carter looked equally as uncomfortable.

Just to end this unbearable moment, I opened my mouth. "Um, I'm going to get dinner now, I guess."

At the same time, Carter said, "I have to, uh, get going."

We both grinned at each other.

Carter waved. "See you later."

"You too!"

We walked our separate ways, and I scanned the crowded room for my friends. Spotting them, I took a step forward but then stopped.

Ray and Jerry seemed triumphant, apparently teasing Dakota. Brooke was trying to soothe him, but it wasn't helping. He had a furious expression on his face, looking at nothing but the ground.

Dakota glanced up and immediately covered up his previous look, attempting to wave me over. I obliged, slowly making my way to the table.

As I neared, I realized the situation wasn't as dire as I had initially assumed. If so, Brooke wouldn't be trying to hide a smile. Ray and Jerry wouldn't be laughing. I knew the group cared intensely for one another. So if it wasn't that serious, I could relax a bit.

The last joking remark I heard from Ray was, "Trust me, you gotta try harder if you want to win her over."

Who was this 'her?'

I dropped my items off on my seat, saying I was going to get in line.

Unfortunately, on the way, I crossed paths with Sylvia.

Disdain plain on her face, she lined up behind me. Complaining about anything and everything, she moaned about the qualities of the meals. Sylvia finally noticed me and pouted.

"You're another first-year, right?" Her accusing voice reached me.

Deciding to play it cool, I nodded, seemingly indifferent.

"I picked to be a huntress, what about you? Sylvia said this as if I was offensive and she was superior.

Choosing to stay silent, I hoped she'd lose interest and leave me alone.

This annoyed Sylvia further because she began to insult and prod me.

"Hey! Do you even talk? Answer me!"

When I remained quiet, Sylvia smirked.

"You're even worse than my father's servants. At least they knew how to behave."

Stay calm, Melody, she's not worth your time. Calm, stay calm, don't punch her...

Boldened by my refusal, Sylvia sneered. "I guess you're just deaf then." Never mind the fact that I had nodded to her first question. "I bet you choose a trade like a servant or a janitor."

Word of advice for you, Sylvia, you don't want to make me angry...

Her torments continued on until we were out of the line. I was about to head back to my table when Sylvia shoved me.

I stumbled backward, off balance. I thought it'd be fine, I'd just regain my footing.

Then I tripped on a stray cup.

My tray went flying, along with all its contents. My head hit the stone floor first with enough force to almost make me black out. Rest assured I'd have a welt there tomorrow.

The only somewhat good thing about the situation was that almost no one was behind me, so my tray didn't hit anyone.

And almost everyone saw Sylvia push me.

Oh, how I wanted to crawl into a hole and stay there for all eternity.

Dazed, I vaguely registered that the dining hall had gone silent.

Except for one person.

Sylvia was pointing at me and emitting a high pitched laugh. "You should've seen the look on your face! That's what you get, see how you like it!"

She sauntered off, oblivious to the glares shot at her.

In shock, I propped myself up off the ground. My head throbbed and I lifted a hand to it.

It came back slick with crimson blood.

A jolt of pain shot through my head.

How?

By now, the crowd had unfrozen, and I heard footsteps hurrying in my direction. Murmurs rippled through the air, spreading like wildfire.

Dakota's rage-filled and concerned face dropped into my field of vision. He urgently snapped his fingers in front of my face.

"Melody! We need to get you to the infirmary. Can you stand?"

Wide-eyed, I stared at him, not comprehending anything he said.

Ray went off to tell the doctors I was coming. Brooke and Carter cleaned up the mess spilled on the floor. Jerry strode off, face thunderous. I think he went to find Sylvia and give her a piece of his mind. Dakota helped me stand up, steering me to the doors.

The crowd stood and stared.

Limping beside Dakota, I felt their eyes burning on my back. The hallway seemed to stretch on for forever.

I hated being at the center of attention. Hmm, I wonder why.

As we made our way forward, the Lupine made a clear path to the exit. None moved to help. None shouted or comforted. They just stood and stared.

Dakota pushed the door open, leading me into the snow.

The last thing I recalled was the warm sensation of blood running down my face before I collapsed.

(Side Note: If this was too much for some of you, I apologize for the descriptions. I'll be posting a chapter sometime around the afternoon every Sunday, I'll see you all next week.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59 6 11
#335 in general fiction 06.29.2024 #55 in paranomal romance 06.29.2024 #10 in supernatural romance 01.12.2024 #6 in new fiction 01.12.2024 ...
181 0 78
There is an unexpected turn in the story that drastically changes the course of events and, in the long run, even the lives of those involved. Magpie...
3.5K 351 54
Start Date: September 16, 2017 End Date: August 1st, 2018 Shapeshifting has always been around us but we've chosen to remain ignorant to the signs we...
377 38 13
Sequel to My Friend is a Vampire The Originals and it's the 4th book Andrea's life has change forever when she and Kasey drive off Rosen Falls Bridge...