My Brother's Best Friend - On...

By GemmaReeve

More

My Brother's Best Friend - One-shot Competition

794 19 12
By GemmaReeve

My Brother's Best Friend - One-shot Competition

Lee ‘Badass’ Adams POV

“Get out the way!” Trent screamed pushing innocents in the corridor against the wall, effectively creating a path for us to run through. We were getting confused and agitated looks at the students around us, I think they were a bit a hungry –as it was lunch time, from the ‘oh so’ hard work they must have been doing. I mentally rolled my eyes at the thought.

I looked behind me and jerked forward, picking up the pace so quickly that I nearly bashed into Trent. “Ah!” I shouted. “Move Trent, she’s there!” I pushed at Trent’s back making him go faster, I could hear his chuckles and I could just imagine his face lighting up with a massive grin. I was breathing hard, surprised that I hadn’t keeled over yet - considering the lack of exercise I do, but I still managed to have my signature cheeky grin on my face as I escaped the clutches of my teacher.

“Mr. Adams!” I heard her screeching behind me. Why was she just calling my name? Trent was with me too. I just laughed aloud and ran faster, pushing Trent to the side then launching through the crowd, moving more of the students. Eventually we came to the end of the corridor, breathing heavily and laughing. I couldn’t contain the excitement coursing through my veins as I bounded up the concrete stairs, Trent on my tail.

Damn, it was times like this I wish I had my black Converse, but no, I was stuck with my Vans because I left them in Parker’s Ford Edge.

I could still hear the screams behind me but they were fading rapidly so I’m pretty sure we lost her. Damn Mrs Wetherington, she’s always on my case. I mean, yeah, I talk a lot. But come on, how can you sit in a class for hours on end and not expect a student to say a few words? I admit, my words may have been more of an essay... however, that still defeats the point of my statement. I can’t not talk, it’s just not in my genes.

Plus, I was only talking to Trent about fizzy beverages. Coca-Cola, in particular and interesting facts behind their success. Actually, did you know that when Coke first came out in 1886 it was used as patient medicine? The carbonated water was good for your health. I know.

Crazy right?

Anyway, because of non-stop –necessary, talking. I got a detention. On the outside I tried not to look affected too much, but on the inside I was slightly agitated and slightly amused. If I had have known a tiny bit of conversation about random facts would annoy a teacher so quickly I would have done it all the time. I mean, I always did it, but since coming to Cornerstone, I seem to be doing it a lot more frequently.

Yeah, you heard.

I’m at a boarding school.

And, yeah, it is as lame as everyone would expect it to be but I have to stay here. For Parker’s sake anyway.

Ah, crap.

Parker!

He’s going to kill me. I mentally shrugged, I’m sure I could skirt my way around him somehow and get out of this.

“We made it!” Trent shouted and I hadn’t realised we had stopped in a dark room. The four walls were extremely close together, enough that I could almost touch the tips of my fingers from one to the other. I started to rub the back of my neck, not feeling right being in here, but I couldn’t show a weakness to Trent.

“Yeah,” I replied, hoping my voice didn’t tremble. “If I had have known that hiding in a small janitors closet was going to keep Mrs Wetherington away before, I surely would have already done it.”

I could hear the sarcasm in my tone very clearly, which was obviously intended, but some people hated my sass. Why? I had no idea. Luckily, Trent just chuckled and rested his back against the wall.

“So, why were we running anyway?” He asked, I could see him flick his hair from his eyes because of how long it was and leant against the wall myself. I pressed my hands against the cool bricks, just praying that the feel of it would calm my racing heart. I closed my eyes because I knew Trent couldn’t see me and breathed deeply.

“Lee?” Trent asked, snapping me out of my concentration.

“Oh, err, I didn’t see the nurse today.” I replied, looking to the ceiling that I couldn’t actually see.

“You needed to see the nurse?” he asked curiously and I closed my eyes abruptly. Shit. He doesn’t know.

“Oh yeah, I was feeling sick yesterday and they sent me to my room and asked to check up with them today to see if I was better.” I said, hastily thinking of the lie, it easily slipping off my tongue. No way was I going to admit that I had to see the nurse to take my medicine every morning at exactly eight o’clock.

“Wow. All this chasing just for you to check in about feeling a little ill.” Trent said, chuckling, completely believing my lie, oblivious to my now wracking stomach. I clutched my fingers against the wall, just trying to see if I can grab onto a sense of sanity, I can’t crumble. I’ve tried hard not to since being here.

“I know right.” I muttered under my breath. “How much longer are we in here for?”

Please, please, please, can we just leave? I rubbed the back of my neck, my legs trembled and my eyes squeezed shut. Please, please.

“I think we can leave,” I heard a faint voice say. “No one’s out there.”

But I couldn’t comprehend what was being said. My heart stumbled erratically in my chest, my throat closed, my breathing fastened. I could feel the pulsing in my temples, the intensity of squeezing my eyes too tight, the undeniable feeling of falling, not being able to grab onto anything. Words were jumbled, garbled and lost, sounding far away and muffled. Like I was under water. I was feeling the sensation of my throat closing, I couldn’t breathe and I needed air.

I needed sanity.

“Lee!”

The harsh tone snapped me out of my reverie and I gasped, opening my eyes to see Trent crouching in front of me, light streaming in behind him.

“You good, man?” He asked, concerned.

I nodded and pulled myself back to my feet, quickly running out of the closet and putting my hands against the wall opposite me. My breathing was getting back to normal, the pulsing had slowed and I thought of my mother’s voice. Sweet, smooth and calming. I imagined her holding my hand and talking to me, stroking her fingers through my hair. I closed my eyes, breathing deeply.

God, I missed her so much.

I then stood up straight, brushing those thoughts aside and turned around, seeing Trent staring at me. “Sorry,” I said, smirking. “Got a bit dizzy. I’m not used to all that exercise.”

Trent just nodded his head and clapped me on the back, we made our way back down the same way we came and I –thankfully – didn’t run into Mrs Wetherington or more like, the devil in disguise. We got into the lunch room and I breathed a sigh of relief, it was times like this I was happy to be living, knowing I was about to get some good grub in my belly. This is the only good thing about Cornerstone, the food.

I smelt the delicious scent of pizza and got slightly excited, I obviously didn’t show it though. After I had grabbed my food, I made my way to my table, however on the way a small brunette stepped in front of me. I surveyed her face, she had light blue eyes, curly brown hair, a small nose and high cheekbones. She was cute, but not something others would fall head over heels for, I’ve seen her around before… what was her name again?

Oh yeah.

Amber.

“Hi Lee.” She greeted, her lilting voice washing over me.

“Hey Amber.” I replied confidently and looked down at her. A little smile quirked at the corners of her mouth, I looked back into her eyes and raised an eyebrow. Usually when in a conversation the opposing person would continue speaking, but this girl was just staring at me. I cleared my throat and said, “What’s up?”

“Oh,” She replied, a film of red covering her cheeks as she looked down at the floor and back up again. I smirked, waiting for her to continue talking. “Err, I was wondering if you happened to have notes from our latest geography lesson.” She looked away again and scratched her head, “It’s just, I wasn’t there and you’re the only person I actually know that will help me and you know, I just thought-”

“Sure,” I replied. I gave her a generous smile because she was getting even more flustered by the second and I couldn’t just watch her flounder. “I’ll drop them by your room later if you want?”

She gasped. “B-but, you can’t come into the girl’s dorm-”

“Don’t you worry about it Ambz, you won’t get in trouble.” I said soothingly.

“Well, you don’t even know my room-” she started again and I stopped her.

“And that’s where the art of information comes in. If you tell me your dorm room I can just slip by.” I said, knowing my sarcasm may or may not be hurtful but I did say it in the lightest tone I could possibly muster.

She blushed and looked down, “Okay. I’ll put a note on your desk in our next class.” She replied and I just nodded. “But, you won’t get in trouble yourself, will you? I know how strict they are here-”

“Chill Ambz. There’s nothing for you to worry about, besides, I’m a natural.”

“Oh, trouble-maker?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded. “I’d prefer dashing rebel,” I replied. She just giggled at me, nodded and walked away.

What?

Don’t judge me, I’ve had a rough day.

“Who was that?” Trent asked, staring after Amber.

“Oh, just a girl.” I replied, shrugging.

“Just a girl? Dude, she was hot.” Michael commented.

I shrugged, “She was nice.”

“That’s all you’re going to say?” Will asked.

I looked at him. “What else do you want me to say?”

“Something more than ‘she was nice’ for sure.” Michael replied.

I shrugged again, and repeated. “She was nice.”

I ignored their comments for the rest of lunch because who cares? I met a nice girl, that’s it. No ulterior motives.

Man, sometimes being fifteen sucks.

****

“I don’t appreciate having to call as soon as I get home from a game, Lee.” Parker said.

“Oh, I can feel the love.” I replied, rolling my eyes. Seriously? What crawled up his butt and died? I thought as I fiddled with my skateboard, twirling it around on the floor.

“You’ll be feeling the love with my foot up your arse if you’re not careful.” Parker commented smoothly.

I snorted, but didn’t reply.

“Lee, if you keep doing this then I’m going to have to take action.” Parker said, sighing.

“I can’t help that the teacher hates me Parker,” I replied to him. “Hey, did you know that the average teacher-”

“I don’t care, Encyclopaedia,” Parker chastised. “Just please stop getting yourself in trouble. It’s only a few days that I’ll be coming down to see you, anyway.”

I perked up a bit at that. Parker usually visits me every weekend and you’d think with having me living in Miami I wouldn’t see much of him, but you’re wrong. I see quite a bit of him, in fact, I usually have really long holidays where I go and live with him.

“Oh great, that gets you one step closer to seeing my beautiful face.” I replied.

“Anyone should be scared to see your ugly mug,” Parker countered but I could hear the smile in his tone.

“Yeah, yeah,” I said. “You keep telling yourself that.” I quirked my lip upwards.

“But honestly Lee, you need to stop. Can you please just behave? I will have to take your privileges away.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Go daddy figure,” I mumbled quietly, low enough that Parker didn’t hear me.

“So we sorted?” Parker asked rather hastily.

“Yeah, I guess.” I replied, flopping on my bed and dropping the skateboard to the floor.

“Okay, well I sh-” Parker started but I cut him off. “Wait, Parker. How’s that chick you keep talking about? Err, what’s her name? Emmett’s sister? Anna? Emma?”

“Emily.” Parker said through gritted teeth.

“Whoa, I’m hearing some tension.” I replied, keeping quiet.

“Yeah, like you wouldn’t believe.” Parker said in a detached tone.

“Well, what happened?” I asked.

“What didn’t happen?” He countered.

I raised an eyebrow even though he couldn’t see me. “Come on, tell good ‘ol Lee.” I coaxed and Parker sighed.

“Did you know that Emily went to rehab for Anorexia?” he asked abruptly. I frowned. “How would I know that Parker? I don’t even know what she looks like.” I replied.

“Err, she’s just so frustrating!” He exclaimed and I jumped at his tone.

“How?”

“She’s just constantly stepping on my toes and what not,” He floundered for words, sounding frustrated.  “Every time I do something it’s wrong. I can’t even say one thing without finding out a tragic backstory and then feeling like shit because of what I said.”

“Well, that sounds a lot like you. What did you say?”

“I was teasing her on why she was away in London and I found out it was literally because she was sent away, not a choice thing.” He replied bitterly.

“Wow. You’re an asshole.” I stated.

Parker sighed. “I just don’t know, I didn’t know she went through that.” He said in a resigned tone.

I scoffed. “How do you know what anyone goes through? No one really knows about us.” I replied, feeling a slight pang in my chest but I pushed it aside.

“Yeah, I know.” Parker said softly, I know he felt it too.

“Anyway, you should just apologise.” I said simply.

Parker laughed. “Apologise?”

“Yeah, Parker,” I said, rolling my eyes. “I know that word is hard for you to understand but it’s what you generally say to someone after doing/saying something shitty.”

I could literally feel Parker’s glare through the phone. “I know that, I’m not stupid.”

“Could have fooled me.” I replied.

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah.” I said shortly. “So grow a pair and get on with it. I’m going,” I was about to the end the call when Parker shouted, “Remember what I said!”

“You said a lot of things, but yeah, whatever.” I replied before hanging up on him. I dropped my hand to my side and sighed deeply, staring at the ceiling.

Shit man.

I still have at least another three months before I can leave this hell hole and make it to Thanksgiving.

Sane.

Well, at least that’s what I hoped.

This sometimes seriously sucks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

841K 35K 75
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
404K 11.9K 100
"aren't we just terrified?" 9-1-1 and criminal minds crossover 9-1-1 season 2- criminal minds season 4- evan buckley x fem!oc
700K 27.2K 39
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
567K 29.3K 23
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...