Until We Fall [BL]

By VocaElai

The esteemed Prime Minister Fan Jun of the Great Huan Dynasty fathered a healthy boy who was named after his... More

Chapter One | Calamity or Prosperity?
Chapter Two | A Wife's Broken Heart

Chapter Three | Like A K-Drama

258 32 18
By VocaElai

Chapter Three | Like A K-Drama

Fan Hai passed through the doors of the pavilion with steady steps while thinking about the things he would ask his mother. He was planning on asking about Father as well as the reason why she didn't come to his room. But those thoughts were disregarded as soon as he laid eyes on her tired face.

Fan Yue was in a petal pink robe with her hair cascading down her back like a silky waterfall. With a teacup in hand, she sat right in the middle of her wide courtyard; staring wistfully at the rising steam. In deep thought, she didn't even notice Fan Hai enter even though she had given her permission just a few moments ago. The dark circles under her eyes didn't escape Fan Hai's keen eyes.

After mentally berating himself for being insensitive, he put on the smile he knows his mother liked and pressed the furrow between her slender eyebrows while chuckling, "Don't frown like that, Mother. You'll get wrinkles."

Fan Yue's eyes shifted and settled on his smiling face and her eyes visibly lit up, "Hai'er," she pulled him close to press a soft kiss on his forehead and laughingly said, "I won't do that now, your mother will always remain pretty."

Fan Hai smiled and took a seat next to her, "Of course. Mother will always be the prettiest."

Fan Yue's eyes turned into smiling crescents and she laughed delightedly, "When you get a wife, you won't say that."

Fan Hai's lips turned into a frown and he denied his mother's words, "I don't want a wife. You will always be the prettiest to me, Mother."

Fan Yue brought her hand to her face and covered her mouth with the long sleeve, laughing, "My dear son, you will have a wife someday."

He frowned again. But before he could deny it again, his mother spoke, "But you would never be able to get a wife if you look like that."

He looked at his Mother's amused gaze and felt puzzled. He looked down at his night robes and asked, "What's wrong with it?"

Fan Yue grabbed his chubby cheeks and pulled while instructing, "Everything, my dear. Make sure you're properly dressed before leaving your courtyard."

Fan Hai winced, "Ow, ow, Mother please!" He wiggled away and gritted out with swollen cheeks, "I will dress properly before coming."

Fan Your nodded and called a servant. A girl in her late teens came closer and bowed, "What can this servant get for your ladyship?"

Fan Yue smiled, "No need to be so formal, Quing." the maidservant nodded, "Do you remember the clothes that came yesterday from Master Gou? Bring the blue one over."

Quing bowed and turned to enter an adjacent courtyard to look for the clothes Fan Yue ordered her to bring. Fan Yue turned and reached to pinch Fan Hai's cheeks again but he shielded it and dodged, making Fan Yue laugh again.

"Have you used a tooth-stick, yet?" Fan Yue inquired as she picked up her teacup to take a sip. Her eyes scanned her son's face.

Very naturally, Fan Hai nodded, "Of course, Mother. I never forget to clean my teeth." he hadn't, of course, but he was a natural at lying. He didn't feel guilty about it since it was harmless.

His mother nodded, feeling satisfied, "Then would you like to have some tea? It's delicious," with a straight face, he looked at the cup she had in her hand and nodded. He disliked teas, but since his mother was so eager to make him taste it, he would comply. She continued, "the Empress bestowed it to me. She liked the poem I wrote on her ducks."

"It was very thought-provoking, Mother. Of course, she would like it." It was a habit of his to praise his Mother whenever he could. Fan Yue laughed again and poured a cup of steaming hot tea for him. Fan Hai took a sip, but he couldn't spot the difference form the usual teas he tasted during different ceremonies. He still found them distasteful.

"You were right, Mother. It really is delicious." Hearing his words, Fan Yue smiled again. The maidservant who had gone to get the clothes returned and stood with those robes in hand, waiting for further instructions.

Fan Yue took the clothes and handed them over to her son while saying, "Go and wear this; ask the servants to help you if it's too difficult."

Fan Hai shook his head to deny the offer and entered a spare room to change. Before going back out, he washed his face to appear fresher. He exited the room with a smile and waited for his mother to praise him.

Fan Yue gestured for him to come closer and reached out to straighten his clothes at certain places, "My son is so handsome," she praised, caressing Fan Hai's hair, "You look just like your Father." her voice quietened by the end and Fan Hai's heart hurt when his mother turned away from him. He knew his mother was distressed and all of the blame fell on his father's head.

Desperate to distract his mother, Fan Hai tugged his mother's hand and began, "Mother, don't you feel bored sitting here? Let's go outside and stroll around the garden!"

Her smile returned and she nodded, "Wait for a few minutes for me to finish my tea. Don't forget to finish yours, Hai'er." Fan Hai begrudgingly nodded and picked up his cup, only to gulp it down in one go. His gag reflex activated and he turned his face away with a hand clamping his mouth shut.

With watery eyes and a pale face, Fan Hai and his mother left to roam around in the garden. Fan Hai's little hand was held by Fan Yue's bigger ones and he would swing their hands together as they walked. The sun was casting its warmth on them, and the air was pleasantly cool; this contrast made the whole experience wholesome and a permanent smile rest on both of their faces. A group of maids were walking right behind them - carrying shawls in case their masters felt cold, snacks, and a bunch of books.

Soon, they reached an opening with a table and a couple of chairs in the middle; this was where Fan Yue had wanted to come. It was at the edge of the garden and she pulled her son with her and made him sit beside her. The maids stood on the side, not even daring to take a peek.

With a book in hand, both of them sat reading. Fan Hai held a book full of poems that his tutor had told him to learn; the task of reading it wasn't hard but learning the meaning of each and every one of them was frustrating. He would turn and ask the meaning of a poem when he couldn't understand it after trying several times. Their interaction was warm and harmonious.

The estate had become busy as time passed. Servants were moving around completing their duties. If they came close to Fan Yue and her group, they would bow in respect as she was the Main Wife of the Master. Soon, Fan Hai picked up a series of disturbances coming towards him. He lifted his head and saw a group of women in light blue robes coming towards them.

The woman in the middle was like a swan walking amongst ducklings. Her long hair went down her back and her pearly white skin was like precious jade. Her phoenix eyes were surrounded by thick eyelashes and enhanced her already fairy-like beauty. She had a porcelain teapot in her small hands. She smiled as she neared them and the whispers intensified.

Fan Hai glanced at her, scanned her up and down, and scoffed. He could easily tell she had caked her face with white powder and rough because her face looked uneven. Other people had a different opinion though, for them, she was a fairy walking in the mortal world. Fan Hai disliked her presence as soon as he saw her because when the ruckus started, her mother had stiffened after looking at the ugly woman and had turned away.

Fan Hai's eyes narrowed a little and he bit his lower lip in thought.

The ugly woman reached them and kneeled, "This servant is here to serve Mistress as per the Master's orders. This servant has brewed some special tea for Mistress, and this servant hopes that Mistress would be kind enough to taste it." Her voice was like bells - clear and soothing.

Fan Hai watched as her mother lifted her face to look at the ugly woman and her lips feel into a thin line. Others didn't notice it, but he did; it was clear that his mother disliked this ugly woman. Well, who wouldn't? She was just too ugly. Even the fat lady from the kitchen would puke after looking at her. As Fan Hai's thoughts drifted in the marsh of curses, the servant around them stopped to listen.

The ugly woman frowned lightly when she saw Fan Yue's face because she could practically feel her appeal decrease a little in front of one of the most beautiful women of the empire. But she didn't didn't dwell on the thought and came forward and bowed, "This servant will pour the tea now."

Fan Yue had already had tea a while ago and she didn't want to drink more, especially from this woman. But denying her in front of all the servants wouldn't be good for her image. They would think that she was blocking their Master's women deliberately. Thinking of this, she nodded. She couldn't understand why Fan Jun would send one of his women to serve her.

By this time, Fan Hai already knew this ugly woman was one of those bed warmers. His mother's uncomfortable straight face was proof enough. He sat there staring at the group; soon, one of the maids that had been walking with the ugly woman stepped forward and placed the cup on the table. The ugly woman smiled and tilted the pot to pour the tea.

Fan Hai somehow knew what was going to happen. He had a sudden flash as a foreign memory emerged, making him blank for a few seconds.

"Darling, your mother doesn't like me! We can't be together." A woman inside a box- no, inside a television- said as crystal clear tears trailed down her pale cheeks. Thunder cracked and it began to rain heavily.

The man standing behind her stared at her small back expressionlessly- as if the woman in front of him was no one but a stranger. He moved forward and put a hand on her shoulder as his clothes got soaked in the rain.

With his facial expression as frozen as ever, he said surprisingly emotional words, "Honey," Fan Hai felt himself cringe as he watched them, "I will make her like you. Please, stay with me!"

The woman in the weird white dress turned around and cried on the man's shoulder while telling her grievances, "Your sister spilt hot soup on me... I don't think she likes me, either."

The man's frozen expression didn't change and he said again, "Don't worry, I will talk to her."

The woman looked up at him with a smile, "I love you, darling."

"I love you too."

Fan Hai remembered speaking, "That's some terrible acting." 

Fan Hai had a feeling that the woman got injured later and forgot who she was.

He snapped back into focus and saw the teapot almost tilt over. Acting quickly, he pulled his mother's hand away in time. The hot tea spilt all over the table, and if he hadn't pulled it away, his mother's slender and pale hand would have been burnt. He didn't even have the time to think about what he remembered.

The ugly woman paled and fell on her knees, crying hysterically, "This servant- this servant deserves death! Please punish this servant!"

Fan Yue stood up and stared at the kneeling woman with the corner of her eyes tinged red. She knew that the woman had planned it all but she couldn't do anything. The favoured servants around her knew she was one of the rumoured women their Master liked; if she punished her, they'd think she was taking out her rage. It would make her look like a disobedient wife who won't let her husband do as he wishes. 

The woman started shaking and cried out, "Please, this servant has harmed her Mistress. Please punish this servant!"

The servants around them started murmuring and staring at them. Fan Hai felt that things were getting out of hand, he started up at his mother's pale face. He didn't understand the situation completely but he knew things were not in his mother's favour. 

His gaze fell on the table which was covered by the spilt tea and an idea popped inside his head. He scanned his surroundings and saw that no one was paying attention to him, so while the ugly woman was busy kneeling, he put the back of his hand on the steaming tea. 

He flinched silently when the hot liquid touched his tender skin, but he didn't remove it. After a few seconds, he slowly brought it towards himself and looked at his red hand. It was a little burnt. 

He pinched himself on the wound and the pain intensified. His wound got worse and tears fell from his eyes. Sniffing, he reached for his mother's hand, "Mother..." a whimper escaped his lips. 

Hearing that tearful voice, everyone's gaze landed on the little figure standing on the side. His face was flushed and tears travelled down his cheeks; he was holding his burnt hand. People standing around gasped in horror. 

"Hai'er!" Fan Yue shouted and kneeled to hold his hand gently, "How did this happen?" 

Fan Hai never cried so it was very surprising for the people standing around. Fan Hai's cries became harder and he pointed while hiccuping, "That- that ugly woman spilt tea on me! It hurts so much, Mother." 

The "ugly" woman's eye twitched but she just bit her lower lip and spilt some tears too, "This servant didn't mean to. Please." 

Both of them were crying; Fan Hai more loudly with his cheeks turning red. A beautiful and lovely child was, of course, more prone to receiving pity; people disregarded the maid and fussed over Fan Hai's burnt hand. 

The maid kept on kneeling, her lovely appearance was looked over. Only a few maids trailing behind her stood beside her and attempted to calm her down. She just glared at the crying child.

Fan Yue ordered for someone to make a salve for her son and made him sit down. She blew on the wound and applied the paste while coaxing him as he cried hysterically. The paste did help cool the burning wound and soon, Fan Hai stopped crying. The people around heaved a sigh of relief. 

Fan Yue turned to glare at the kneeling woman and ordered, "Guards! Take her out of my courtyard and to the Master! Tell him what she did!" 

Her orders were followed and she was escorted out. The maids that had come with her trembled and followed behind them with their heads bowed. 

Fan Yue turned to face her son and said softly, "Stay here, I'll be right back with the special herbs I have." She left after Fan Hai nodded. 

His small face held a little smug smile. He was caught unaware when someone spoke right next to his ear, "I saw that, little Master."

---

Author's Note: Hahaha, that was a k-drama he remembered. And whenever "Hai'er" is said, I can't help but think of the word HIGHER. LOL.

Fun Fact: I don't watch K-Dramas. HAHAHA. The only other Asian drama I have watched is Back To 1989. It was ah-maize-ing~! Check it out. :)

Thanks for reading. Please vote and comment! Tell me if you find any mistakes because there are bound to be many in this chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.7K 4.4K 54
In their previous life, taehyung had been overweight. His face was covered in acne. Yet jungkook still forcefully ate him up. Exactly how much did h...
17.7K 32 10
baca ajaa, terserah. ga suka ga usah dibacaa Tapi jangan lupa vote. Boleh request mau yg gimna, komen ajaaaa Siapa tau ada yang pengin request bisa c...
191K 9.1K 52
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
1.9M 97.3K 38
Presenting the story of ISHIKA MEHRA Whose innocence made the king bow down to her AND ABHIRAJ SINGH RATHORE Whose presence is enough to make the per...