A Summer's Secret

By _cynical

Secrets come with a price. Asia Cassidy is about to learn that secrets aren't free (and are not that easy t... More

EPIGRAPH
Prologue
☼Chapter 1 [[THE SECRET]]
☼Chapter 2
☼Chapter 3
☼Chapter 4
☼Chapter 5
☼Chapter 6
☼Chapter 7
☼Chapter 8
☼Chapter 9
☼Chapter 10
☼Chapter 11
☼Chapter 12
☼Chapter 13 [[ THE TRUTH ]]
☼Chapter 14
☼Chapter 15
☼Chapter 16
☼Chapter 17
☼Chapter 18
☼Chapter 19
☼Chapter 20
☼Chapter 21
☼Chapter 22
☼Chapter 24
☼Chapter 25
☼Chapter 26
☼Chapter 27
☼Chapter 28
☼Chapter 29
☼Chapter 30
☼Chapter 31
☼Chapter 32
☼Chapter 33 [The Revelation]
☼Chapter 34
☼Chapter 35
☼Chapter 36
Epilogue
Bonus

☼Chapter 23

3.7K 165 10
By _cynical

23.  

             Now that that whole impromptu Aiden date fiasco  is over, I can finally get back to what I was meant to be doing and that is figuring out our, erm, past. So people like Cade or even my twin brother Claude started asking me, why don’t I just ask Aiden Walker?

Well the answer is not so simple but the idea here is that, this is something personal. I don’t want to find out stuff about me clouded with how Aiden saw me-or us for the matter. I wanted my memories back and I want to do it without influence. Or maybe I’m secretly just masochistic and wanted to make life more difficult for me I don’t know.

My best friend Emerald snapped her fingers in front of me. Yeah, I think I kind of blacked out.

“So what do you think?” She asked her smile so bright and she seemed so giddy I automatically felt guilty for actually not being able to listen to what she said.

“I’m sorry Ems what was that?” I replied, shame blooming inside me.

She sighed but gave me a tight smile, “you’re doing it again A. You’re obsessing over this it’s getting really unhealthy.”

“I’m sorry, look just say it again I swear I’ll listen this time,” I answered.

Emerald held her hands up and muttered an okay, “I was saying that Ezra, the guy I told you about,” she paused and studied my confused expression. Right, I remembered her telling me something about a crush. I can’t believe I forgot, I’m such a horrible friend, “you know, Ezra from the play Dahlia got me into?”

I smiled at Emerald, “oh right, Ezra  you’re crush,” I said with a little giggle.

“Really A?” She replied in disappointment.

“He is your crush right?” I hung my head in shame.

“You know sometimes, I wonder if you still want to be my friend,” Emerald’s tone started to sound hurt and mad at the same time. Oh, I knew she was mad as she stood up and grabbed her bag quite forcefully.

“Wait, Emerald let me explain,” I said as I grabbed her hand, “I’m really sorry Ems. I’m not asking you to understand me or anything I know it’s my fault for not paying much attention to you now. I just wish I could make it up to you.”

Emerald gave me an evil smile. The woman just used my fatal flaw against me and I just can’t help but forgive her because I know I wasn't being such a nice friend to her lately too.

“Okay so I’m gonna tell you this once more so you Asia Gertrude Cassidy better listen up or else I’ll saw your ears with a rusty knife and replace you with an armadillo as a best friend,” Emerald said and I knew she was serious because she just addressed me with my full name and the fact that she’s willing to replace me with an armadillo. I mean no offence to armadillos or anything but they’re well, they’re armadillos I think they don’t do much.

Emerald sat down and she got animated, “so Ezra you know.”

“Yeah, the theater guy,” I interrupted.

“Yeah the theater guy, so while I was about to walk out of Chemistry class and he was about to get inside, he sort of kind of stopped me along the way. I told him that I need to hurry up because I don’t want to be late for Advanced Trigonometry but he insisted. He said it would only take up ten seconds so well I allowed him to take me to the side.”

I nodded my head, encouraging Emerald to go on with her story and I could tell we were getting to the best part because she started to squeal and she started to take a hold of my wrist a bit too tightly.

“Well, he asked me out.”

“No way.”

“Yes way!” Emerald said, now she was shaking me like crazy, “I can’t believe Ezra Levine just asked me out, A I can die happy now.”

“Aww, Ems I’m really happy for you and all that but I really can’t live without you,” I said as I embraced her in my most massive bear hug.

“I’m so excited, never and I mean never in my whole life did I have an experience where my crush asked me out on a date,” Emerald said in between fits of giggles.

“I know Ems, I know I’ve been with you for years,” I said and gave her a gentle pat on the shoulder.

“I would punch you for being such a mood killer but you’re gonna play a part in this,” she said and that evil gleam was back in her eyes, “and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

“Oh I’m not going on a double date with you-“

“Who said anything about a double date?” Emerald’s lips curled up in to her most famous evil smirk.

I don’t know what was going on inside that woman’s head but I’m pretty sure I won’t like it and that I don’t have a say in this because really, I think Emerald Delaney just signed me up for a death sentence.

“Wait so you don’t sort of kind of like Claude anymore?” I asked and then Emerald’s cheeks burned bright red.

“A, he was the only guy I knew in my life who could be crush material alright. I never really got much exposure. I know I’m not Claude’s type so it would actually do me better to finally let that childhood crush go,” she waved me away.

“Alright, no more feelings for that idiot, and oh you better make sure that Ezra guy meets your best friend’s standards,” I replied. Yeah, I know Ezra from a couple of projects we got involved in together, we talked a bit but I never had the chance to hang out with him and get to know him better so I could never really vouch for him. I can’t tell Emerald that, “oh Ezra? That guy is really nice I totally approve of him,” no I can’t say that, not until I know him for real.

“Don’t worry you’ll be meeting him tomorrow during our dinner date,” she said with a wink.

“I thought you said we won’t be going on double dates,” I asked my best friend and now she was laughing at how clueless my expression probably looked like.

“Oh no dear no double dates I swear,” she said as she made a cross sign over her heart, “however-“

“Uh-oh I don’t think I’ll like the sound of this,” I replied cutting her off.

“Wait, however I seriously really want to know what he thinks of me you know? I want to know but I’m too shy to ask him myself,” Emerald said and the way she said it I could tell she was sort of desperate.

I mean I’ve been with Emerald for a long time already and as far as I know no boy seemed to look at her like she’s cool or pretty or even hot I wanted to date her sort of way. I’m not saying most guys would look at me that way, I’m kind of oblivious to anything like that but for others I can really see whether someone likes them or not. 
“So you want me to talk to him?” I asked.

Emerald nodded her head, “just don’t tell him I told you to ask him, like pretend you just want to know his intentions and promise him you won’t tell me, although I know you’re supposed to tell me, right?” Emerald blabbed.

“This doesn't sound legal,” I replied, feeling uncomfortable.

“Oh come on it’s not like you’re a saint or anything and besides there’s no rule about conspiring with your best friend to know whether a guy likes you or not,” Emerald said as she waved her hand at my direction.

I sighed and rested my chin on top of my hand, “well, even though I’m kinda against this, there’s nothing I can do to change your mind so what the heck. Tell me about the plan.”

Emerald grinned, her eyes sparkling, “A you’re the best best friend ever.”

I gave her a small smile, “yeah I get that a lot.”

~

“How do I do this again?” I asked Emerald as my fingers got stuck in the strands of her hair. For the life of me I couldn't fix another person’s hair I can’t even do a simple French braid! I’m used to doing my own hair but when it comes to helping others with theirs, uh no I think I should leave that to the professionals.

Emerald sighed, “never mind A just you know fix my hair into a nice ponytail.”

“Right,” I muttered. I can’t do a ponytail too, shoot me.

Emerald gave me a smile, “that’s okay A, I’ll handle my hair instead just go and find something nice to wear, just not something that would make you hotter than me.”

I snorted at this, “Ems I thought we've settled this. I’m always hotter than you.”

Emerald rolled her eyes, “well just let me be hotter and lovelier tonight.”

I, out of nowhere squealed and grabbed Emerald’s hands, “Oh my gosh I can’t believe you’re finally going on a date tonight!” I said as I giggled.

“I know right. I never thought a guy would ask me out. I mean I’m not in a hurry for love or anything but it’s always been on my bucket list to at least have a little high school fling, like you.”

“Ha ha, that was no fling Ems,” I said, rolling my eyes at Emerald.

“Right, that wasn’t a fling, more of a tragedy I suppose,” Emerald said her voice almost a whisper as if she regretted saying that. I didn’t give her a reply, instead I just smiled and headed over to the closet.

“What do you think would make me look less hotter?” I asked with a teasing tone as I ran over my clothing.

Emerald laughed, “just choose anything that screams boring.”

“Ouch,” I mocked hurt, “I think I’ll just let myself look normal ‘coz you know we wouldn’t want Ezra to think that you’re hanging out with boring people.”

Emerald laughed as I got a butter colored sleeveless from the closet and pulled down my newer jackets, a red leather jacket London got me when she was shopping for baby items. I don’t know exactly what made her buy me something but I felt really touched by her gesture. It’s not every day London Cassidy gets me something nice to wear. I kept my black jeans and laced up boots on no need to make my lower part presentable, it’s not like I’m trying to impress this Ezra guy.

“You want to go over the plan? Just so you know, I don’t mess up or anything,” I said nervously as I drove Cade’s Midnight Blue Porsche. Yeah, the guy insisted I use it despite me trying to convince him that I can’t drive something as luxurious as this what if I crash it? I can’t even afford to buy it gas. Cade just shook his head and said something like, “use this, don’t worry compared to the others back home this one’s the least flashy and least expensive one so go on use it.”

I cannot turn down the offer to drive a Porsche, and Cade’s making a really convincing statement, so there goes the story of how Asia Cassidy got to drive this baby.

So there went Emerald’s run through. So first Ezra and Emerald meet at Carlo’s Italiano a restaurant that caters Italian dishes, obviously, second they order dinner within the first five minutes so given that the waiting time is fifteen minutes, the first five minutes or so of that fifteen minutes will be spent with Ezra and Emerald having some small talk, and then Emerald goes to the girl’s restroom to “freshen up” that’s when I come in the picture.

I’ll pretend to order pizza and see Ezra so I’ll wave at him and invite myself to sit at their table so I start doing some talking and pretend to remember that Emerald said something about having a date and then the rest will happen naturally, hopefully.

When we reached Carlo’s I parked my, no wait, Cade’s car farthest to the left near the bushes. We spotted Ezra sitting near the window which was a good thing, so that I can spy on them better. Emerald got out of the car first, making sure that Ezra wasn’t looking at our direction as she did. Then, I stayed in the car, waiting for them to see each other and then Ezra helped Emerald to her chair and then I saw them looking at the menu. I could tell Emerald really liked him the way she steals glances at him and how she shifted on her seat like she was nervous about scaring him away.

As predicted, they started to talk and Ezra laughing was really a good sign, my best friend was doing good I could never be more proud of her. I could tell that they were really enjoying each other’s company because Ezra was making all these hand gestures and Ems was laughing at all of them.

Just as our plan dictated, Emerald glanced at her watch discreetly and excused herself from her seat as she made her way to the restroom. It should be my cue to get out of the car but I decided to wait a couple more seconds before coming in to avoid any suspicions.

I glanced at my watch and decided it was time.

I dialed Emerald’s number and called her to say that I’m already on the move so she better hang on. I stuffed my phone inside my jacket pocket as I got in the restaurant. Automatically his gaze met mine. I didn't even need to wave to get his attention because he was the one to call me over.

“Asia? Asia Cassidy, what brings you here?” He asked, “come have a seat.”

“No I really don’t think I should stay for long, I was just asked to go grab some pizza, you know pregnant sister, crazy wants.”

“Yeah I understand,” he said with a huge grin.

“Right, are you with someone? I don’t wanna ruin your date or anything,” I asked. I don’t want to brag but really, my acting skills could pass for professional level.

Ezra laughed at my question, “what date?” he asked and that got me confused, “as you can see Ms. Cassidy I’m all alone. Maybe you’d want to be my date?”

I just wanted to slap the guy right across the face. I want to strangle him. How dare he say he wasn’t on a date?

“Uhh, candle light kinda screams DATE to me. Are you sure you’re alone?” I decided to play along instead.

“Maybe I’m just waiting for a pretty girl to walk in and seat with me,” he said in what I would assume was a flirtatious tone. I tried to control my rage that was boiling inside me I wanted to kick him at the part where it would hurt the most, but instead I sat on the seat opposite to him. ‘If only I could throw this stupid fork at his face,’ I thought.

I didn't have to ask Ezra what he thought about Emerald because really, it was quite obvious that this guy is so not right for her. So, I just let him talk, he was talking about himself mostly which bugged me even more.

“You know your friend Emerald?” He asked and I perked up at the sound of her name.

“Best friend,” I corrected.

“Yeah whatever,” he replied in a bored tone, “she’s kind of hot but she’s really not my type, you know? I mean no offence but the reason why I’m trying to get on her good side was just so I could get to know you better.”

“Actually that’s very offensive,” I replied, unable to control my hate for the guy anymore.

“Right, right I’m sorry,” he said, “I want to start over-“

Ezra wasn't able to finish his sentence because his eyes got fixated over something behind me and I risked looking back to see a really angry looking, Aiden Walker.

 Just when you thought you’re night couldn't get any more complicated.

“’Sup Aid my man,” Ezra said in a cool chill tone, “hope you don’t mind if I get to know your ex- girlfriend better.”

I watched in horror as Aiden’s face turned even more devilish looking, “uhh Aiden, just so you’d know we’re not here on a date.”

“You don’t have to explain anything A, you’re not my girlfriend” he said without looking at me, his eyes still fixed on Ezra Levine’s face. Ezra in turn snickered at that. 

What he said, crushed my heart. I didn't expect him to sound so bitter.

“But-“

‘Smack’ Aiden’s fist made contact with Ezra’s face and just like your typical stupid teenage movie the other guy, Ezra, stood up and attempted to get back at Aiden. I stared at them as if in a daze. I actually didn't understand what was happening in front of me now.

“You guys are over, remember?” Ezra taunted, “why are you still so jealous?”

A waiter tried to hold Aiden back but there was nothing he could do to stop Aiden’s mouth from talking, “none of your business, douche,”

I butted in because I was stupid like that, “uh, FYI Aiden he's right, you just said a couple of seconds ago that I am not your girlfriend, so why are you acting like your jealous?”

Yeah that stumped him. The both of them became silent and I thought Aiden was cool and would decide to walk away but instead he pulled me from my seat and well, he pulled me towards him until he held me in a tight embrace. He lowered his head closer to me and whispered something in my ear, “damn it I'm jealous, and I'm trying t convince myself that we're over but that doesn't mean I’m not wishing you were..still my girlfriend.”

It was my turn to get stumped and I swallowed saliva because we were so close I bet Aiden could hear my beating heart. Ezra with a black eye looked at us with disgust.

“Fine I’ll just go back to my original plan of screwing your best friend,” he said.

Aiden turn around preparing to hit him again and I was opening my mouth to say some bad stuff to him but someone else’s voice spoke even before we could do or say anything.

“You’re not screwing anyone moron,” Emerald said and I turned to see her crying, mascara running down her face.

“Emerald, what took you so long hun? Sorry about this two they’ve messed up our special evening,” Ezra said. If I didn’t know any better I would’ve believe him. His acting skills were an A++, no wonder he was a star in the theater guild.

“Stop bullshitting me freak,” Emerald said as she attacked Ezra with her magenta colored hand bag, “I heard everything!”

I ran towards them to stop Emerald from inflicting more physical pain to the stupid boy in front of us, “what do you mean you heard everything Ems?” I asked.

“You forgot to end our call A,” she said with a little forced laugh.

“You, so you set this whole thing up just so I would end up the villain huh?” He said as he pointed at the both of us.

“Well, at least I know now not to trust you, you horrible idiot,” Emerald sobbed as she grabbed my wrist and walked away from Ezra.

I met Aiden’s eyes and he shrugged as he followed behind.

I heard Ezra screaming stuff like ‘sorry baby, let me make it up to you,’ at first but then it turned to, ‘fine leave, I never wanted to date you in the first place anyway!”

I’m seriously blacklisting that guy.

“I’m sorry Ems,” I said to Emerald who was staring at her Double Dutch ice cream.

We decided to let off steam by eating ice cream at the ice cream café across the street. Aiden just got back to our table with Pistachio flavored ice cream in hand. Yuck.

“No need to be sorry A, I should have known that guy was no good. I mean every guy would just prefer you over me, why should he be any different,” Emerald said, her grip on her cone was tighter than ever. Ice cream started to trickle down the cone’s body.

“That’s not true Ems,” I tried to comfort her, Aiden looked at me suspiciously.

Why am I getting the idea that Aiden was the jealous type of boyfriend?

“Well, name one guy who liked me then,” she sobbed some more.

I tried to think of anyone, just anyone but unfortunately. There was no one in my mind, no one to prove Emerald wrong.

“Well maybe the right one just got stuck in traffic or something,” I said, “and when you meet each other it will be the best thing to ever happen to you.”

“Spoken from experience?” Emerald said, I was kind of glad to hear her tease me even at my expense.

I glanced at Aiden once again. I couldn’t really defend myself because I can’t remember how I felt when I met Aiden Walker. Actually I should add that to my list of questions. When I met Aiden did I automatically fell head over heels for him? Or did I hate him before I decided I loved him?

“That, I couldn’t answer for now Ems, but that’s what everyone’s hoping for right? To find the one whose monsters play well with theirs? To find the one who’ll sweep them off their feet, bring them to paradise or Cloud nine or whatever?” I said.

“Asia’s right Ems, love’s not always rainbows and butterflies, sometimes its thunderstorms and hurricanes but hey everything will be worth it,” Aiden added, just after he licked his ice cream.

“Tell that to yourself Walker,” Emerald said, “ask yourself if everything is worth it.”

"Ems, really?" I said as I tried to stop my bestfriend from saying some other disturbing stuff.

I studied Aiden who was trying not to meet my eyes as he turned his ice cream cone in his hand. I wondered if Aiden still believes it, I wonder if he believes that everything will be worth it in the end. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 438 77
"Who are you exactly?!" I growled angrily. She tried to free herself from my grasp, but I pinned her to the wall. She glared at me angrily as she kep...
349K 8K 28
"Why do you care if I kiss other girls? We're not together, we're friends" he stated swallowing his emotions. "You're right, why should I care? Like...
32K 2K 53
"I would scream but I have a headache from crying my eyes out in the bathroom. You have twenty seconds to explain why you broke into my house before...