The Peasant Bard

By Frog_in_the_Mist

When the kingdom was brought to its knees by a plague of evil, music was deemed to be the cause. All instrume... More

Chapter One

99 1 0
By Frog_in_the_Mist

Chapter One

There is this thing he talks about, 'Music', I don't know what it is yet-but I know I need it in my life. He says it is like walking through the woods without fear of the wolves; that it is like swimming in the arms of the ocean or strolling through the midnight rain without getting sick. He says it opens your mind to a whole new world where everything is beautiful; that it tickles your skin like a lover's touch and that it pleases your body greater than any eastern spice. Though I doubt all that is true, it seems such an adventure to learn more about this thing. I fail to see yet, attributed obviously to my youth (I am but 17), how such a wonderful thing can be evil-but it is, and so I should cast out any such desire to find it and drink it up. Music is the root of all evil in man, and music shall summon the demons and the devils from all the hells of lore to bring death and destruction upon the land. But uncle talks quite fondly of the thing; and his eyes seem to twinkle when caught in the moment of reminiscence.

Tevik Blackwood

'Tevik my boy! Welcome.' uncle Lodric greeted me into his home with his great bear-like arms. Father was out again tonight, rather typically as he was the elder of Hogsmirth. Our village.

'Evening uncle, it's good to see you again.'

'I'm guessing you will be here for awhile.' He said, placing the kettle on the fire.

'Here to listen to another story of how the rabbits used to live in the trunks of trees?'

'Actually, I was wondering if you would care to share more on music with me. It really sparked my interest and I have been unable to think of anything else.'

He sighed. 'That, my boy, is the true evil of music.'

'Tevik I warned you about the fate of those seeking to learn about music-and of those trying to revive it. You play with death dear boy, and I am afraid you are too young to play with such totality.'

'I am not without my wits, uncle; I just struggle to understand why it is so evil when it seems so beautiful.'

'You speak of music as if it were a woman. And there is a striking similarity between the two, if you recall my tales of the sirens.' He winked.

It pained me to see Lodric keep such mirth about him. I knew he was lonely, that he carried great burdens alone. He was my mothers brother, they had been close he tells me- he had even told me of her gift in the art of music and singing. A talent that holds the devil's hand if found out now. She had died giving birth to me, and yet I see a greater pain of such a tragedy upon Lodric's shoulders. Far greater than mine or even my fathers.

I smirked rather awkwardly, not sure of what to say.

'Come here Tevik, we can let the pot boil a little longer. I have something to show you'.

I followed him into his room. It felt cosy and had a soft orange glow too it.

He reached into a little bag that he has ominously hidden under his bed, and pulled something out. It was like a long wooden stick, ivory in colour and polished thoroughly it seemed, because the texture shone fantastically in the orange glow of the room. There were odd little holes down the stick. The look in Lodric's eyes bore that magical twinkle Tevik had seen whenever his uncle spoke to him of music. A rush sizzled his blood, awoke the hairs on his body and his heart began a new beat as he wondered. What was this thing?

'This my dear boy.' Lodric paused and looked lovingly at the little thing. 'This is what they used to call a recorder.'

'It is a musical instrument-one that would see me hanging from the gallows within a breath's luxurious moment if caught with it, mind you. I made it myself. After all the musical instruments were destroyed in a great fire sprung to life by man over 20 years ago- I set to work on my own. Initially I was too afraid, but over time my heart began to wither with lust-the sin evoked in us all through music. If you believe what the people say.'

'Like my father? He is one of those so strongly opposed to music?' Tevik asked.

'Yes he is, as you know- his council implemented the rules and combed the land, gathering all instruments for the fire. But he is not a bad man Tevik and he is not without reason. He wants to protect this land.'

'Not without reason? I don't even begin to understand how music could have caused any disaster, nor do I see why people must die for it.'

'Man will always seek to blame something for the woes of the world, and though we can see that as Man's fault- it is no fault of the man.' Lodric mused.

'That rather clouds my mind uncle.' Tevik replies sheepishly.

'Well will you remember it?'

'Yes, at least until I understand it.'

'Then let us talk of something else. Would you like to see how one plays the recorder? I can not risk playing it aloud, however, for the wondrous waves it would emit would bring the reaper to my humble door.'

'Just show me then, my appetite is whetted.'

Lodric kneeled by his bed furs and beckoned me closer. He showed me how the different sounds were played, and how they intertwined to form melodies that were the rocks of music. Though I could not hear anything but the crackling of the insects, my world felt like it was spinning in a paradise. As if a cradle of peace was enveloping me and soothing my soul to its most vulnerable depths.

'Tevik. I see the wonder in your eyes and it pains me deeper than you would think. Bend in closer and I shall play you but a simple melody, ever soft.'

I edged closer, and listened with all my mind and body, and for the first time in my life- I was hearing music. The enigmatic and most beautiful evil in the world, and I loved it. There was serenity to it, an understanding of greater things. If indeed it was evil, it held greater power than any of the sins we were taught would send us to the fiery depths of misery and torment. It brought a tear to my eye, to think that this thing beheld deception, that it beheld manipulation. I would not believe, like the child I still am I would not believe it until I have felt the true brutality of its wrongs.

I looked into Lodric;s eyes. They spoke of sorrow, twirling its way around a happy heart that was dusting itself off to be young for this macabre dance. He stopped.

'Would you like to try?' he asked me, his voice croaking as if saying goodbye.

'May I really?' the shock and seriousness of the offer disguised my excitement.

'If you promise me that you shall not play too loud.' He chuckled.

He showed me how I was to play it. Like which holes to fill to make the simple melody, how much strength to blow with my mouth as well as the correct posture-which took me quite some time to master.

But I was finally ready to try my hand at playing music. I blew. Nothing.

Lodric chuckled.

I blew again. Nothing.

'Am I doing it wrong?' I asked.

'Yes, blow softly and rise up with strength until you hear it. Then you will know.'

It was then that everything changed. I blew too hard and filled the holes in trying to create that melody but all that came out was noise. Loud noise. I saw the look of horror in my uncle's eyes as time seemed to stop. It was if I had indeed sinned, and blown the devils whistle. There was no cackling if insects anymore, there was no wind blowing the branches outside. Time had stopped, and our hearts beat faster, waiting for the beasts to break down the door and stake them deeply. It was not long before the door was broken down. Father stormed in, a rage in his eyes that confirmed him as the devil, while his council thundered past him to grab us. We ran of course. We are humans and we were feeding a most horrifying fear. So we ran. I was nimble and fast, and managed to get past the men.

I looked behind me, uncle had passed them too.

He shouted at me, saying we should head for Pinesbane. I heard it but it didn't really sink in, for his eyes rolled up and blood spurted from his mouth.

As he fell, I saw the spear that had impaled his body.

My fear swelled to its deepest level yet, and I ran. I wanted to cry but my fear would not let me give in to weakness, despite how I craved it.

I ran into the fields, the vast open fields. It was night time, and the snaked would be out hunting for mice and rabbits. Wouldn't be so bad to break their routine and feed them a 17 year old boy, enriched with sin.

That's something snakes would like.

Still I ran, heading for a little coppice in the distance. The men were far behind me but they would be able to catch me in no time if I didn't hide fast.

The coppice was backed by a very large tree, which looked like it came alive sometimes as its great roots were sprawled above ground. I slid underneath the roots and hid there.

They would just have to take 1 look towards the base of the tree to see me, but I was hoping they would head a little to the side- towards Pinessbane. The nearest village.

The men came close, and began searching the little gathering of trees.

They were going to find me. They had obviously seen me come straight here.

T devil must have sought to toy with me, for one of the men suddenly clamped his leg and screamed. A slithering friend had got him good.

His companions chased the snake away and lifted up the struck man. My father arrived on the scene and took a look at the leg.

'It is dark, I cannot see how bad the wound is.' My father said.

'Take him to Almaria, she will remove the poison. Hurry.' He ordered.

The men obeyed and i saw my father close his eyes for just a moment.

I had always been afraid of him, but tonight my fear was drowning me.

He marched straight up to the tree and pulled the roots aside.

I could not prevent the gasp that escaped.

'Tevik, my son. You have done something very evil tonight.' He said to me, sternly.

I could not reply.

'I hope you have seen what evil is summoned when connecting yourself to music. Whether you play it or speak of it. The demons are never far behind.'

'The men will be searching for you, I will leave you to your fate. I can not tell you where to run for they will be everywhere.' He took a long breath and looked away.

'You have not lost my love for you, son. But if I were to help you, the order of the land we are trying to revive will be threatened. I do not expect you to understand, and I am sorry for the loss of your uncle. He was perhaps a better father to you than me.'

There was no sadness in his voice, no tears welling up or difficulty in the speech. But I believed him. Foolishness was perhaps a curse of mine.

I remained silent.

'Sleep here, and from tomorrow your fate shall lay with the heavens.'

'Goodbye.'

I couldn't mutter a goodbye back. I felt weak and pathetic.

I had caused my uncles death and brought disturbance and fear to my village.

I had shamed my father, who worked for what's best for the people, and he would not even admit it. As if I was worthy.

I fell asleep. Wishing for these roots to drink me up and take me away.

Continue Reading