Wolf at Heart

De Whisper486

. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the hum... Mais

Notice
Prologue
Chapter One: The Ceremony
Chapter Two: First Encounter
Chapter Three: Friendly Fire
Chapter Four: Sea Serpent Scandal
Chapter Five: Remembering Them
Chapter Six: Fight in the Forest
Chapter Seven: Bandit Trouble
Chapter Eight: The Message
Chapter Nine: Silent Escape
Chapter Ten: The Lupine Camp
Chapter Eleven: Midnight Feast
Chapter Twelve: A Hunter's Advice
Chapter Fourteen: The Instructors
Chapter Fifteen: Stable Life
Chapter Sixteen: Training
Chapter Seventeen: His Perspective
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Woods
Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack
Chapter Twenty: The Hunters
Chapter Twenty One: The Predators
Chapter Twenty Two: Meeting Him
Chapter Twenty Three: Wolf and Raven
Chapter Twenty Four: Visions
Chapter Twenty Five: Yes or No
Chapter Twenty Six: Paranoid
Chapter Twenty Seven: Welcome Home
Chapter Twenty Eight: Problems
Chapter Twenty Nine: Sun's Chosen
Chapter Thirty: His Memories
Chapter Thirty One: Discussion
Chapter Thirty Two: Flashback
Chapter Thirty Three: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty Four: Confusing Feelings
Chapter Thirty Five: To Think
Chapter Thirty Six: Plans
Chapter Thirty Seven: Sharing
Chapter Thirty Eight: Captivated
Chapter Thirty Nine: Wrong Captive
Chapter Forty: Stolen Property
Chapter Forty One: Last Warning
Chapter Forty Two: Another Perspective
Chapter Forty Three: The Raven's Claw
Chapter Forty Four: Dominance Game
Chapter Forty Five: Alpha's Command
Chapter Forty Six: Bandages
Chapter Forty Seven: Tomorrow Night
Chapter Forty Eight: The Deal
Chapter Forty Nine: Scars
Chapter Fifty: His Worries
Chapter Fifty One: Tight Boundaries
Chapter Fifty Two: Mistakes Made
Chapter Fifty Three: Double Crossed
Chapter Fifty Four: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty Five: A Mysterious Man
Announcement
Chapter Fifty Six: Awoken
Chapter Fifty Seven: Training Begins
Chapter Fifty Eight: Unspoken Promises
Chapter Fifty Nine: Hidden Waterfall
Chapter Sixty: Heated Moments
Chapter Sixty One: The Festival
Chapter Sixty Two: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Sixty Three: A Day Off
Chapter Sixty Four: Risky Assessment
Chapter Sixty Five: Icy Barriers
Chapter Sixty Six: Earthen Explosion
Chapter Sixty Seven: Lost Relations
Chapter Sixty Eight: Final Oblivion
Epilogue
Afterword
Notice

Chapter Thirteen: Left or Right

29 6 10
De Whisper486

Flopping down on my bed I sighed wearily. A long day of sparring with Dakota and fending off Ray and Jerry's prying questions would tire anyone.

Dinner hadn't been very eventful. Just idle chatter with the others. Come to think of it, I haven't been talking with the other first-years. None of them had approached me. Nor had I gone to them.

Maybe I should go talk to them. Nah, if they'd wanted to, they would have earlier. Then again, the whole point was for me to start a new life. Make new friends. Find a trade that I'd enjoy. Begin again and reset.

How many other first-years were there again?

Two other girls and one boy. Doesn't leave many options.

Do I really want to meet them anyway? I already had Dakota, Brooke, Raymond, and Jeremy. They're enough, aren't they?

I came to the conclusion: I was okay as it was. No need to introduce myself unless it was a must. They'll do it on their own time.

A quiver of excitement and anxiety ran through me at the same time. Tomorrow would be the deciding factor.

Tomorrow.

Tick, tock.

Almost.

Sleep came down over me like a blanket and I closed my eyes.

Tomorrow.

All around me were whispers and muted voices.

I was standing knee-deep in a stone-rimmed pool of water. The clear water lapped at my clothing, pulling me deeper. Far above my head, shadowy figures murmured.

The water rose, now up to my chest.

I couldn't move, but strangely I felt at peace.

Before I went under, I saw the raven from before swoop down, hovering above me.

Things would be alright. The raven was here, that was all that mattered.

Submerging in the chilled water, I sighed, bubbles escaping my mouth.

It was dawn when I woke from my dream. I only recalled bits and pieces. Something about rising tides and a bird.

Yawning, I got dressed, ready for today. Taking the animal figurine with me, I headed out.

Where was the event being held anyways?

Posing the question to a passing jackal, she answered kindly. "You're a bit early dear, but it'll be held in the wooded area. There's a path behind the hunters' quarters."

Turning, I called, "Thank you!" and shifted, figuring I'd get there faster as a wolf.

I'd saved a loaf of bread from dinner, so I satisfied my stomach once I reached the path.

Sniffing, I discovered recent trails, as well as a strange musky odor. Must be the instructors. Maybe some wild animal came along the path by accident. Who knew?

Tracking the scents with my nose, I stepped deeper and deeper into the forest.

Up ahead, the trail separated; one going left and one right. Now to pick.

Left? Or right?

I'll be smart and let my nose decide, I thought.

The scent trail distinctly went left. To the right, I heard chatting voices. Trust my gut. That's what Dakota had instructed.

So left I went.

This had better not be a mistake.

Fingering the wooden figure I'd brought along, I continued along on foot. The dark ominous wood shielded the undergrowth from sunlight. It was almost as if the light was afraid to enter this dark corner of the woods.

It feels like I went the wrong way.

No, stop that. Trust your gut.

The woods no longer felt inviting or friendly. It seemed as if hidden eyes were watching me.

Wrapping my scarf tighter, I forged on.

Rustling up ahead alerted me of a presence. Hesitantly creeping forward, I peered out from behind a tree trunk.

Dark mocha colored eyes stared back at me.

Letting out a yelp I scrambled back.

Catching my breath I laughed aloud at my reaction. It was only the horned creature I'd seen a few nights ago. Whew.

"Sorry about that, I didn't mean to frighten you. Or more rather, you scared me." I called it over, getting up.

It crept closer, hooves leaving marks in the snow. Holding my hand out, I stroked its muzzle.

Even though I felt silly, I murmured to it. "Hey, I'm a bit lost at the moment. Could you help me find a way to the place where we choose our trade? You know these woods better than I."

The creature's bright eyes told me it understood. It trotted a little way forward and looked back at me. Obediently, I walked after it.

By this time I was certain 'it' was a 'he.' I don't know how I knew, I just did. It seemed to click when I thought of the creature as a boy. Don't ask how.

Stepping beside the deer-like animal's tracks, I marveled at him.

Up close, he was even more majestic than before. Pearly white antlers adorned his head, which every so often shook. Metallic hooves crunched through the snow, effortlessly navigating his way. His coat was a light gray tinged black, soft and fuzzy like a cat's.

A couple moments later, we emerged into a clearing, not unlike the one on the way to the tribe's camp.

My immediate attention focused on the Lupine huddled in the center of the clearing. My first guess was that they were the instructors. There certainly were enough of them to be. Just about every trade would be represented.

Stopping right inside the snowy circle I waited, trying to catch snippets of conversation. My hand resting on my furry friend's flank, I strained.

"Have any passed through the woods yet?"

"No, I dare say none will."

"You may have set it up too cunningly."

"...Take any longer and I'm calling my students back. They'll be getting bored by now."

They quieted, listening. A frustrated yell sounded from the right. Far, far in the distance.

Looks like I'd chosen the correct path after all.

"That must be the first-years."

"Sounds like it."

"When will we take them out of the maze?"

My companion snorted loudly, stomping his hoof. All eyes in the clearing turned to me.

Shoot.

A timber wolf slunk up to me, crossing the distance quickly. It was the same wolf that had saved me when I had slipped into the ravine with my paw under ice. "Well, well. Has one of the first-years survived our little test?"

Mutely, I nodded, eyes darting side to side. If not for a certain creature standing contentedly at my side I would've run.

Nudging with her paws, she pushed me close to the group of murmuring adults. "Come now, nothing to be afraid of."

No, really? Why would I be scared? No reason at all to be. Not with ten or so Lupine staring and pointing.

No, no reason at all.

I had a sudden feeling that I was a Lamb being lead to the slaughter. The Lions were waiting. And they were hungry.

A coyote put a stop to the timber wolf's spell. "Ah, now, stop scaring her, Rita. She's a first-year after all. Take it easy." He turned to me. "Sorry 'bout that. Not many can withstand our head hunter's tricks."

So this was Dakota's 'chief.'

Nervously, an awkward red fox eagerly asked me, "How did you figure out which path to take?"

I thought for a moment. Having the attention of this many adults was unnerving. I decided to answer honestly.

"I shifted into my second form and tracked the scent. Then he--" I pointed at my companion. "--led me the rest of the way here."

The fox laughed out loud, making me jump. "Brilliant! You're the first to use common sense and use your nose. You know, common sense really isn't all that common. That rest of you fellow first-years all followed the noises." He added, "I came up with the puzzle in the first place. There's a different one every year."

Curiously, a marble fox questioned me. "How did you know the Delphai was a he?"

I tilted my head. "Delphai? What's that?"

She pointed to the horned creature. "He's a Delphai. Intelligent, resourceful, loyal. And near impossible to order around." She joked. "How did you know he was a he?"

Shrugged, I truthfully told her, "I have no idea. It just felt right."

Nodding, the fox pondered over this. Then she whistled softly.

The Delphai jerked his head, ears perked. He trotted over, seemingly unconcerned by the large number of predators surrounding him.

"Go find the other first-years and lead them here." She commanded, tying a paper message to the Delphai's antlers.

While waiting, the adults chatted idly, evading my questions.

"You'll find out when your friends get here."

They aren't my friends, I wished to reply. I felt exhausted all of a sudden and sat down on a log. My thoughts went back to my past again though I tried hard not to think of it.

But I didn't. I didn't. I held back, as always. As always...

Always.

'I'll always be there.'

Be there.

For me.

Where are you now?

I'll find you...who left me for dead.

Who said you'd always have my back.

Tick...tock.

I will.

(Side Note: How's that for a cryptic message? I promise I'll explain it later. Maybe...>=) )

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

181 0 78
There is an unexpected turn in the story that drastically changes the course of events and, in the long run, even the lives of those involved. Magpie...
96K 4.3K 54
Ayn is a witch with healing powers. Shapeshifters have killed her parents and the only animals she cannot speak with are wolves. When she graduates...
360 38 13
Sequel to My Friend is a Vampire The Originals and it's the 4th book Andrea's life has change forever when she and Kasey drive off Rosen Falls Bridge...
Soul Tides De CJ

Paranormal

84.9K 8.3K 55
A sex worker turned private eye must investigate her supernatural hometown in order to find a missing girl, but when clues lead her on a path of dead...