As Long As You Love Me ✓

By witchoria

Zari Davis flees Dallas after witnessing her fiancee cheating, with no clear plan on where she's going. After... More

1. So What
3. Don't Try This At Home
4. Bring Me To Life
5. Everything's Alright
6. The Only Hope For Me Is You
7. Sorry Not Sorry
8. You Make Me Feel So Alive
9. Beautiful Lie
10. Talk
11. Somehow I Know We'll Be Fine
12. The Temptress
13. Fatal Optimist
14. Demons
15. I Should Just Walk Away
16. Love Me Like You Do
17. The Sounding Sea
18. Don't Hold Me
19. She Will Love You
20. The Drug in Me is You
21. Heard it From a Friend
22. Love Drunk
23. Way Away
24. Takin' Care of Business
25. Something Just Like This
26. Rise
27. Give Your Heart a Break
28. Be The One
29. Kiss Me
30. I Want You Anyway
31. River Flows Into You
32. Thoughts Unarrived
33. Good Things Fall Apart
34. Hold Me While You Wait
35. Still I Love You
36. Dinner & Diatribes
37. Love The Way You Lie
38. It Must Have Been Love
39. Now You're Gone
40. Wicked Heart
41. Make You Feel My Love
Epilogue
Cast | Trailer | Playlist

2. Demolition Lovers

15.5K 728 188
By witchoria

P L A Y L I S T

Demolition Lovers - My Chemical Romance

Believe - Yellowcard

Gabriel Luna removed his hard hat, glanced in the rearview mirror at his work partner loading the last of the orange traffic cones. When he and Cole restored power, lights flickered back to life like candles at a wedding. Gabriel had stared at them for a moment, a snapshot of Rosie popping into his head. It wasn't the first time today he'd thought of her. She'd been on his mind as soon as he'd noticed the date on his cell phone. November 3rd. The day she died.

Cole swung open the door, climbed in and slammed it. "Fire in the wire now."

"Yeah, we got a reprieve today because of the storm, but tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be good, so we'll have to replace a damaged pole on sixty-eight."

"I'm just glad the wind didn't blow it down or we'd have to work all night. Maybe we should drive by there and check it. After that, you wanna grab a beer?"

Getting drunk might be what Gabriel needed to push the blues away. "Sounds good."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You were staring at your phone like it held the secrets of the universe."

Not wanting to rehash his past bad luck, he couldn't truthfully answer that question. Following Rosie's death, he'd had all the pity he could handle. Cole and everyone else had hovered for weeks to make sure he was okay. Nope. He wanted no more of that.

"It's my sister. It's barely November, and she's already after me to commit to the Valentine Bid-for-a-Bachelor auction again. I already told her last year was my last time."

"Silbie won't take no for an answer because you raised the most money in the history of the benefit. For the chance of spending another evening with you, I bet Bennett ups her offer this year."

The truck scraped into gear, and Gabriel pulled from the curb. "Wipe that grin off your face. Dr. Bennett is scary. I spent the whole night afraid she was going to pop out a drill and suck marrow out of me."

"Hey, she could be your Sugar Mama and you wouldn't have to climb poles for a living. Hell, she's almost fifty. Let's say she dumps your ass in twenty years, you'll probably still be able to get it up and find someone your own age."

"If you think it's such a good deal, why don't you do it?"

"She ain't got the hots for me."

"What are you talking about? With your resting bitch face, she'll pay big bucks. And, like you said, her money can provide a life of leisure."

"Very funny. With the five thousand she shelled out last year, I think it's clear she prefers you. Besides, I'm dating Ellie now."

"Ellie... Eleanor Green?"

"Yep. Third date this weekend."

Gabriel landed a jab to Cole's shoulder. There was nothing he liked more than busting his best friend's balls. "I'm just now hearing about this? Hell, three dates with the same girl means you're almost engaged."

"Hilarious," Cole deadpanned, his expression exacting. "I figured you already knew since the school work program has your sister assigned to help Ellie."

"No. Lately, Sil and I don't talk much. Ever since the Adam incident, she's avoided me." Cole always gave him shit about Silbie, but it was easy for Cole to chastise him for acting like her parent rather than her brother when he never had to raise his own sisters.

"You can't father her through life." Gabriel's expression told him to let it go. Cole held up his hands in mock surrender. "Anyway. Speaking of dating. How long has it been since you had one?"

"Don't know. I don't keep score." Total lie. He knew exactly. Too damn long. Shit, he was almost a monk. But the number Rosie did on him caused him to lose faith in dating. "I thought Ellie was dating the guy from Biloxi."

"Was, but you know what they say about long distance relationships. They never work."

Amen to that. When Gabriel had left college to take care of his sister after his mom lost her job, Rosie fell in with the wrong crowd. He'd always felt guilty about that. Like his leaving caused it.

Cole's voice brought him back to the present. "If you don't get serious about finding a woman, you may have to settle for Bea Bennett. Too bad she doesn't have a daughter. You could get a little club sandwich action going." Cole wiggled his brows, then leaned his head back and laughed.

Gabriel was tempted to hit him again, this time harder, but resisted. Better to guide the conversation back to Cole's love life. "A few minutes ago, you were worried about me getting a date, now you've jacked it up to a threesome. I think you're a bit too optimistic about my romance skills. Concentrate on your own orgies."

Gabriel thought of the ring sitting in the back of his desk drawer. He should have gotten rid of it, but didn't. Someday, he'd have it melted down. He cleared his throat. "Anyway, you two sound perfect for each other."

"How you figure that?"

"She's a crafter, and with all those birdhouses you build for the bird watch club, you're a DIY type. You could end up with your own TV show. Get dubbed with one of those cutesy star couple names like Bennifer or Brangelina. You could go by Elole or Greele. That's... not the worst."

Cole knit his brows together. "This is the reason I don't tell you shit. You think— damn, look at that."

Lights flashed into Gabriel's peripheral vision from Holly Hills Estates already decorated for Christmas. "This neighborhood starts the season earlier every year. Not even Thanksgiving yet. With all those green lights, it kind of looks like a place the Grinch would live."

"Yeah, rich Grinch. But hey, I say burn baby burn. The more kilowatts they use, the more secure our jobs. Sure you don't want to reconsider Bennett? Look at her house. I bet she's got ten thousand bulbs on that place. A big old mansion for one woman sure seems like a waste. Lounging in her hot tub sounds a helluva lot better than hot sticking a line."

Gabriel gave the truck more gas. The sooner he was past her neighborhood, the quicker Cole would drop the subject. Bennett was a nice-ish woman, and Cole was right. For her age, she looked pretty damn good, but she was nearly the same age as his mom. He turned onto County Road 68. "The pole is just around the next curve."

Cole jerked forward and stared out the windshield. "Fuck, what the hell was that?"

"Looks like an accident." Gabriel gave the truck some gas and sped ahead. Swinging to the side of the road, he shifted into neutral, set the brake and flipped on the hazard lights, then threw the door open, and sprinted away, yelling over his shoulder. "Call 911 and put out the cones! I'll see if anyone's hurt!"

His heart lodged in his throat. No chance a car rolled over like that without the occupants being injured or killed. For safety, he'd parked a distance away, so he picked up his pace. Seconds later—the wreck—a VW resting in the ditch turned on its passenger side, came into view. As he drew closer, the stench of gasoline filled his nostrils. A live wire from a downed pole flickered menacingly nearby.

He slid down the ditch and moved to the wreckage. A young woman was slumped in the driver's seat, motionless. Heart pounding, he reached through the shattered window to check her neck for a pulse. Still alive. He tried the door. Stuck. Reached in and tried to unlock it, but the metal was too damaged.

The sound of boots slapping pavement and the bouncing beam from his flashlight announced Cole's arrival.

"I brought the crow bar."

"Good, but first, let's see if we can get the car upright."

"Are you sure about that? What if she's injured? Movement like that could kill her."

"I smell gas. I don't want this thing to catch fire with her inside if that wire gets any closer."

Cole shrugged in agreement, followed him into the shallow gully and placed his hands above the rear window while Gabriel positioned his over the front. "Okay, on three, push."

Heels digging into soil, they put their weight into it. The bug groaned as it angled, rolling forwards, the four tires thumping to the ground

While Cole made short work of the remaining window glass, Gabriel whipped out his pocket knife, and cut her seatbelt.

"Stick the bar right here," Gabriel ordered.

Once in place, Cole leveraged, while Gabriel put one foot against the car, and yanked on the door. Within a few seconds, it popped free. He slipped one arm under her knees and the other around her waist. As tiny she was, he had no trouble pulling her out.

Blood streamed from her head down both cheeks. He turned to his friend. "Come on. Let's get out of here!"

With Cole on his heels, Gabriel sprinted away with the blonde in his arms, settling her down on a patch of grass safely away from the metal carnage.

"Miss, can you hear me?"

Nothing.

"You're okay. I've got you now."

She made a gurgling sound.

"Miss, the ambulance will be here soon. Hold on."

She moaned and clutched his shirt.

In the distance, sirens sounded, and as Gabriel reached the truck, the VW caught fire.

"Holy shit!" Cole shouted, gripping his beanie in both hands.

Gabriel stared down at the woman laid out before him. Her eyelids fluttered, and those big hazel eyes held his gaze for a moment. His chest tightened as she stared up at him, her eyes glazed and glassy as she tightened her fingers into his shirt.

"I didn't kill Bambi, did I?"

He'd not seen a deer, but that must have been the reason for the accident.

"No."

"Good."

She smiled, made the same gurgling sound again, and then closed her eyes.

His stomach twisted. What kind of woman in her condition worried more about an animal than herself?

*

Perry stared at the phone for a split second and then slumped onto the barstool. Things were worse than he'd thought. She'd seen him with Bethany. But how? He shook his head and tried to think logically. Okay, if she knew about Bethany, then that meant Zari must have come to the office. He hadn't seen Bethany in a while before tonight, and Zari wouldn't wait to confront him now. But why? Dammit. The briefcase. He'd forgot it at home this morning. He knawed on his thumb nail. What if she looked inside? Her stupidity would derail everything he'd work towards.

All he had to do was figure out a way to fix it before Zari went snooping and decided to turn his ass into the authorities out of anger. Either that or leave the country. That had been his plan all along, but he'd had one last mark to con before he left the states and he couldn't do it without her.

Once accomplished, all scores would be settled. He would have single-handedly screwed all the men who'd ruined his father and put his family in the poor house.

The ridicule he'd suffered from schoolmates when he'd had to move from the million dollar home into a trailer was more than any twelve-year-old should have had to tolerate. Of course, it didn't last. No longer able to afford private school, he left those so-called friends behind. Once dad went to prison, they lost everything.

Mom never worked, so a job for her was out of the question. She still had her looks and a nice wardrobe which eventually, she used to her advantage. Had it not been for the men coming in and out of their lives, Perry and his sister would have starved. Couldn't blame Mom. She did what she had to do.

He ran his hand through his hair. No need to dwell on that now. He had bigger problems. No doubt he could explain away the banking situation, and Zari would believe him. But Bethany was another story. Okay, he could claim a moment of weakness. Beg for forgiveness. Knowing Zari's past concerning relationships, that probably wouldn't work. She loved him, and once she got over the initial shock, she'd come around. Maybe not initially pardon him for the infidelity, but she wouldn't want to send him to prison. He'd grovel, buy her some flowers and wine and dine her, and she'd be putty in his hands. He would make her think he was sorry and loved her, and they'd go back to the way things were.

He'd give her a few days to cool off, then call her again. In the meantime, he could be with Bethany without worry. Damn. That'd be nice because he loved fucking her. The woman knew how to use her body, and there wasn't anything she wouldn't try. He didn't love her, but he sure as hell was addicted to her. He'd even given up all the others for her. And there had been many.

Finding Zari on that dating site had been a stroke of luck. Fate really was on his side. And setting up that second fake profile had been a real power play. Lonely, eager women looking for their knight in shining armor and he fit the bill. A nice dinner, a good bottle of wine, and they were more than eager to jump in the sack.

Zari had been the only one who'd made him wait. Hell, he'd invested three months into her before he even got to first base. He'd thought her a prude, then a challenge, and made up his mind he'd get her into bed or die trying. She'd been his biggest con of all. Sweet little prim and proper Zari. He'd been pleasantly surprised by her enthusiasm when he finally got her into bed - having expected her to be more of a fifties housewives trope who grinned and beared it, but Bethany was more willing to do all sorts of depraved things. If tonight's revelations with Bethany shocked Zari, then the things they did in private would give her a heart attack.

But, the scheme was to marry her. It wouldn't work unless he did. Hell, he could stray any day of the week to keep his sex life exciting. He didn't need Zari for that. She served a much bigger purpose. Her engineer father had found the faults in the pipeline the Richards' had built; the pipeline that later left the town of Delphy completely underwater. Thirty people had perished. Jake Davis had helped take his dad away, so he'd take Jake's only daughter. Fair is fair.

Jake the Rat might be dead, but it was pure luck that Zari's godfather was the attorney that worked with Jake to put Perry's dad away, all because his wife had died in the flood. And Matthew loved Zari like his own. Two birds, for the price of one.

He'd marry her and then leave the country. Never to return. The vows said until death do us part, and Perry took vows seriously.

----------------------------------------------------------

YIKES. Perry is a real villain, amirite.

Be sure to check out the art of Zari and Gabriel when he pulls her from the wreckage in the beginning of the chapter, thanks to my wonderful friend eliyeda

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 6.6K 34
Two twenty-somethings find themselves at a 24-hour cafe after midnight. The two bond over day-old coffee and late-night inspiration, finding ways to...
187K 11K 20
In which the popular boy attempts to use an exchange student to make his ex girlfriend jealous, but his ex ends up (fake) dating the exchange student...
5.3K 639 41
Youngbin Lee has been the target of school bullying for long enough, and it has started to chip away his last bit of confidence. But during a fateful...
154K 9K 34
• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Splendiferous Awards May 2021 • Summary • ...